Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Caption says Richmond Road to 21 Richmond Place, so not far away

here's another looking for Bob

4617884209_3e5ccab6f2_o.jpg

Its 3-9 Pleasance

‘The little archway on the right of the picture looks like the one that leads through to St Patrick’s Square

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘The little archway on the right of the picture looks like the one that leads through to St Patrick’s Square

I don't think the odd numbers on the Pleasance start at 1, 3 etc. There seems to be a big gap on that side of the road with a grass verge and rear wall that looks odd as it includes lintels etc. I was thinking it might have been a block down near the Cowgate

luckyBatistuta
Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

I don't think the odd numbers on the Pleasance start at 1, 3 etc. There seems to be a big gap on that side of the road with a grass verge and rear wall that looks odd as it includes lintels etc. I was thinking it might have been a block down near the Cowgate

Sorry bud, I was talking about the Richmond one, I’ve checked it and I’m wrong again :65:

luckyBatistuta

Someone looking for Bob on St Leonards

4618499130_2d3ebb3aef_o.jpg

:lol:  that will be why they all had such lovely sill flower boxes, they were well watered.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sorry bud, I was talking about the Richmond one, I’ve checked it and I’m wrong again :65:

No problem mate, I was curious anyway about the Pleasance one as low numbers would have meant that if the blokes caption was correct it had to be near the Cowgate and the slope is quite gentle whereas it always feels like a hike.

Shanks said no

4618499892_e5d703ee68_o.jpg  

Crowds gather for Bob's beat at 86-90 St. Leonards Street

I am getting these from Photos by Alfred Henry Rushbrook (1867-1937) commissioned by the City of Edinburgh Improvement Trust to record the appearance of streets and houses in the south side of Edinburgh before slum-clearance demolition, 1929 (National Library of Scotland)

luckyBatistuta

4618499892_e5d703ee68_o.jpg  

Crowds gather for Bob's beat at 86-90 St. Leonards Street

I am getting these from Photos by Alfred Henry Rushbrook (1867-1937) commissioned by the City of Edinburgh Improvement Trust to record the appearance of streets and houses in the south side of Edinburgh before slum-clearance demolition, 1929 (National Library of Scotland)

I just want to know how your posting them, I can’t get them to post anymore?

25 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

4617884209_3e5ccab6f2_o.jpg

Its 3-9 Pleasance

Here's a later photo from a different angle, pinched from earlier in the thread. It looks like the outline of the two storey building on the right was on the gable end.  By the looks of it, Bob's fan club had given up by then.

A72B679B-B294-4083-ACC7-F8B092C4ED75.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Here's a later photo from a different angle, pinched from earlier in the thread. It looks like the outline of the two storey building on the right was on the gable end.  By the looks of it, Bob's fan club had given up by then.

A72B679B-B294-4083-ACC7-F8B092C4ED75.jpeg

Found out about his wee problem :lol:

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I am enjoying the comments, I will point out that the equipment being wee was not part of the problem.

In a more serious manner, these pictures are part as much of my history as that of Edinburgh. That very corner  was the site of my first ever arrest. My neighbouring beat man had a drunk and incapable on the pavement right there. When I got to the scene found it was my cousin who was a regular in the nearby Paiges bar. It was not his first arrest and when the CID heard he was in custody they asked us to bring him up to their office. They said Ernie is a great guy, he admits to all the B& E's we have outstanding gets convicted and sent to Saughton which he loves,and everyone is happy. They then gave me money to go and get Ernie a fish supper.

That area I worked when a real young polis. On night shift there was a divided beat, the Simon Square beat. I got the bottrom half, the police box being at the foot of Arthur Street. Everywhere you went was a hill. You left the box and the boundary was Dumbiedykes Road, St Leonards Lane, Pleasance, Holyrood Road, Dumbiedykes Road and all streets and places therein. You had to be in good shape to go up all these streets Arthurs Street for example, you also had to be observant, one night just up Dumbiedykes Road from Arthur Street  I heard some sort of noise, luckily I was standing close to the buildings when an old bed spring came flying down from an upper level house. It landed on the outside of the sidewalk a couple of feet away from me. Now it is all new buildings, clean and fancy, and only old codgers like me remember the old buildings, people and habits of same. That is what history is all about, and soon we who lived it will be gone and it will all be in books.

37 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I am enjoying the comments, I will point out that the equipment being wee was not part of the problem.

In a more serious manner, these pictures are part as much of my history as that of Edinburgh. That very corner  was the site of my first ever arrest. My neighbouring beat man had a drunk and incapable on the pavement right there. When I got to the scene found it was my cousin who was a regular in the nearby Paiges bar. It was not his first arrest and when the CID heard he was in custody they asked us to bring him up to their office. They said Ernie is a great guy, he admits to all the B& E's we have outstanding gets convicted and sent to Saughton which he loves,and everyone is happy. They then gave me money to go and get Ernie a fish supper.

That area I worked when a real young polis. On night shift there was a divided beat, the Simon Square beat. I got the bottrom half, the police box being at the foot of Arthur Street. Everywhere you went was a hill. You left the box and the boundary was Dumbiedykes Road, St Leonards Lane, Pleasance, Holyrood Road, Dumbiedykes Road and all streets and places therein. You had to be in good shape to go up all these streets Arthurs Street for example, you also had to be observant, one night just up Dumbiedykes Road from Arthur Street  I heard some sort of noise, luckily I was standing close to the buildings when an old bed spring came flying down from an upper level house. It landed on the outside of the sidewalk a couple of feet away from me. Now it is all new buildings, clean and fancy, and only old codgers like me remember the old buildings, people and habits of same. That is what history is all about, and soon we who lived it will be gone and it will all be in books.

Another top post, Bob. :clap: 

Keep ‘em coming.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I just want to know how your posting them, I can’t get them to post anymore?

As you pointed out on the other thread, getting pictures to upload and post are a flaming nightmare at the moment.

Even doing a simple post can take 10 minutes whilst it is ‘Saving’.

?

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Apologies if any have been posted before, another group of Bob's fan club4618500940_e09887f032_o.jpg

83-91 Pleasance

Got my hands on a hardback copy of this recently.

A wonderful book with some exceptional images.

Plenty of descriptions included for each piece too, describing the subject, the artist and how the artwork came to be part of the council collection.

91sVQnOoToL.jpg

Shanks said no

Here's a puzzler for you all (I don't know the correct answer!) Southside slum clearances so probably near the Pleasance

(6) Warehouses and garage

Caption says 

Photograph of an address unknown. Picturing Greig & Co. Builders. Lady Jane Sweetmeats Warehouse and Chalmers Garage. In the background the spire of a church is visible beside a telegraph pole. In the foreground there is a streetlamp.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Here's the Square

(3) St Patrick Square

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Wonder who destroyed the bed?

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

As you pointed out on the other thread, getting pictures to upload and post are a flaming nightmare at the moment.

Even doing a simple post can take 10 minutes whilst it is ‘Saving’.

?

After a couple of seconds whilst frozen saying ‘saving’ just refresh screen and it posts...does on my iPad, but posting pics is brutal at the moment.

52 minutes ago, been here before said:

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.05cf23ac2fd14c243f4f110fa6e9aefb.jpg.639dee9343f6ff1b9d37aba4f86d010f.jpg

Where is that?

42 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Here's the Square

(3) St Patrick Square

Bob’s beat clearly never cover there.

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:
1 hour ago, been here before said:

IMG_2036.thumb.JPG.05cf23ac2fd14c243f4f110fa6e9aefb.jpg.639dee9343f6ff1b9d37aba4f86d010f.jpg

Its somewhere around Wester Hailes or the Calders, remember it from childhood and in particular the round building.

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Wonder who destroyed the bed?

After a couple of seconds whilst frozen saying ‘saving’ just refresh screen and it posts...does on my iPad, but posting pics is brutal at the moment.

Where is that?

Westburn before they knocked the flats down, that circular building was the shop/chippy

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Here's a puzzler for you all (I don't know the correct answer!) Southside slum clearances so probably near the Pleasance

(6) Warehouses and garage

Caption says 

Photograph of an address unknown. Picturing Greig & Co. Builders. Lady Jane Sweetmeats Warehouse and Chalmers Garage. In the background the spire of a church is visible beside a telegraph pole. In the foreground there is a streetlamp.

The Post Office Directory for 1911/12 has a David Greig & Co , builders and house carpenters at addresses on Spittalfield Crescent and Bernard Terrace.  The building on the extreme right might just be Nelson Hall, on Spittalfield Crescent/ Bernard Terrace. If that's right, the church is probably St Peter's on Lutton Place.

spitalfield-cres.jpg

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The Post Office Directory for 1911/12 has a David Greig & Co , builders and house carpenters at addresses on Spittalfield Crescent and Bernard Terrace.  The building on the extreme right might just be Nelson Hall, on Spittalfield Crescent/ Bernard Terrace. If that's right, the church is probably St Peter's on Lutton Place.

spitalfield-cres.jpg

That really is a fantastic find Lemongrab 

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That really is a fantastic find Lemongrab 

Thanks. I was a bit lucky as I sort of recognised the railings. I'm on my way to the Nelson Hall just now.

15 hours ago, Cade said:

Got my hands on a hardback copy of this recently.

A wonderful book with some exceptional images.

Plenty of descriptions included for each piece too, describing the subject, the artist and how the artwork came to be part of the council collection.

91sVQnOoToL.jpg

can anyone tell me what the buildings are in left foreground and centre foreground (is that one the old prison) ?

That book cover is a thing of beauty. 

17 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

can anyone tell me what the buildings are in left foreground and centre foreground (is that one the old prison) ?

Yes that's Bridewell Prison, and the occasion is the arrival of King George IV in 1822.

As you can see from the crowds it was a massive occasion for Edinburgh and Scotland. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

A hastily taken photo from a similar angle.

20190131-100410.jpg

Spot on, just can’t ever imagine that corner looking like that. It’s incredible how much has changed and you ju never think about what used to be there. The one that got me for this on here, was the building that was on the site of the Usher Hall. Throughout my life, I just always assumed it was the building that always stood there. This thread really opens your eyes to the history of our beautiful city.

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Westburn.

Cheers mate, never seen that before. 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Both buildings are the Calton Hill Jail.

On the left is the older part (Bridewell Prison, opened 1796) and the bit in the centre is the newer extension (opened 1817).

The picture itself is showing the parade marking the arrival of George IV into the city in 1822.

Edited by Cade

2 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Aeriel_view_of_the_Gymnasium.jpg

It's just off Eyre Pl at Canonmills. That was my local park in the 60s - it's where St Bernards played at one time. 

Top of pic is the old. Scotland St railway yard 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Both buildings are the Calton Hill Jail.

On the left is the older part (Bridewell Prison, opened 1796) and the bit in the centre is the newer extension (opened 1817).

The picture itself is showing the parade marking the arrival of George IV into the city in 1822.

Cheers. Never knew that. 

2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Yes that's Bridewell Prison, and the occasion is the arrival of King George IV in 1822.

As you can see from the crowds it was a massive occasion for Edinburgh and Scotland. 

:clap:?

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's just off Eyre Pl at Canonmills. That was my local park in the 60s - it's where St Bernards played at one time. 

I thought at first Old Meadowbank, but the main road to the right, was not correct, it then occurred to me that probably the other old ground would be the St Bernard one.

My mother went there one time to watch my father play for St Bernard. She was shocked when the man sitting next to my mother offered advice to my father. "Kick the bloody ba' Jimmy, dinnae nurse it".

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Hear is another one. A bit of a grainy photo though.

the-gymnasium.thumb.jpg.2965cfc90b1f6bb6227d66021a411b4e.jpg

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I thought at first Old Meadowbank, but the main road to the right, was not correct, it then occurred to me that probably the other old ground would be the St Bernard one.

My mother went there one time to watch my father play for St Bernard. She was shocked when the man sitting next to my mother offered advice to my father. "Kick the bloody ba' Jimmy, dinnae nurse it".

I've seen the pic before. I think the old stand was dismantled and taken to the old Meadowbank.  I'm not old enough to remember the old stadium :sadrobbo:        as it was made into a park in the 1950s. 

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Hear is another one. A bit of a grainy photo though.

the-gymnasium.thumb.jpg.2965cfc90b1f6bb6227d66021a411b4e.jpg

Love this pic. It was the site of the original "Gymnasium". 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Love this pic. It was the site of the original "Gymnasium". 

Love these older pics as well.

Here's one for the egg chasers.

scotland-v-england.jpg.d52f923d761079affff86863d50b4f7d.jpg

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

where's this ? 

Raeburn Place where Scotland first played international matches from 1871 until Murrayfield was purchased in the 20s.

been here before
On 30/01/2019 at 21:46, luckyBatistuta said:

Where is that?

Westburn Gardens, blocks 1 and 2. The low white building is Toni's the chippy or to give it its sunday name, Tonys Roundhouse. Place was an absolute goldmine which the owner lost in a game of cards.