• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No doubt an exceptional thread, from the views provided and the history, and the added interest that a lot of your young life is now considered as history, little did we realise that would happen when we were engaged in the activities.

5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Used to procure the old Schweppes soda syphons from the factory when I lived in the Calders in the 70’s, you got good money for them from the off license as they had a big deposit on them. But favourite factory was Golden Wonder hands through the gaps and off with the freshly made peanuts. Good days. 

What part of the Calders were you fromRGG.Do you remember on a Saturday morning if you went to Milanda about 5am you could get a shift helping the driver with deliveries.youbgot more money for one morning than you did 6 days on a milk run. We were always back by11 and on the days the Jambos were away from home I would take my scarf and get the bus from the terminus when we were done and go right to St Andrews Square for the old SMT excursion buses to go to the game 

Radio Ga Ga
7 hours ago, otterjohn said:

What part of the Calders were you fromRGG.Do you remember on a Saturday morning if you went to Milanda about 5am you could get a shift helping the driver with deliveries.youbgot more money for one morning than you did 6 days on a milk run. We were always back by11 and on the days the Jambos were away from home I would take my scarf and get the bus from the terminus when we were done and go right to St Andrews Square for the old SMT excursion buses to go to the game 

Lived in Calder Gardens, our kitchen window looked over Calder Road onto the Burtons biscuit factory, moved away in 1978. 

I do indeed remember the Milanda Saturday delivery shifts, although never got one myself. Was too wee at the time to carry the boards of bread. 😂

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, Mister T said:

That's an incredible photo. Some amazing detail. Keep them coming MS 👏👏

I like the policeman looking straight at the camera. I wonder what his duty was then. Great uniform as well.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I like the policeman looking straight at the camera. I wonder what his duty was then. 

Roughing up miscreants, probably.

Good old-fashioned policework.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I like the policeman looking straight at the camera. I wonder what his duty was then. Great uniform as well.

The wee girl too, the woman with the pram further back, and the wheelbarrow in the middle of the street for shoveling up the horse power. Time travel on KB, love it! 

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I am not sure how the old policemen of those days were located to their duties. I am sure it would be as always some form of particular area patrol. The system I started in was the beat system where a stated area was patrolled from a police box, that I am sure started in 1936 and was replaced partially in suburban areas in the sixties by what was known as the Aberdeen system of team policing. Where a van was allocated to an area, policeman were transported to  where they were delegated a patrol area and did so for an hour before being picked up and located. Like everything else it became too much work and change for the supervisors and they delegated men to an area they worked for the full shift just like the old beat days.The sergeant and his pets now drove around the section in a van instead of the sergeant in the old days having to ride a bicycle around the same terrain.

Gilberts Fridge
19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210803_194642.jpg

I've always wondered, when and why did Scottish Police stop wearing the Custodian Helmet. Only Scottish copper I've seen were it was PC Murdoch in the Oor Wullie annuals my auntie used to buy me. 

8 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

I've always wondered, when and why did Scottish Police stop wearing the Custodian Helmet. Only Scottish copper I've seen were it was PC Murdoch in the Oor Wullie annuals my auntie used to buy me. 

Police went to collar and tie, and diced cap instead of helmet in the early fifties. I was still at Boroughmuir in 1950 when I saw the first policeman in the new uniforms, they no doubt were more comfortable but I personally would like to have as did many English police forces had the new collars and tie but maintained the traditional helmet.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

I think the helmet is pants.

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

When was the clock moved?

Cannae mind. It was where it is in the photo when I was a nipper. 

I remember some extensive roadworks at that junction maybe a couple of decades ago but my booze and drug addled brain can't place it in time. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, does anyone else think that the fluorescent stuff they kit police out in nowadays somewhat detracts from any presence they had? 

Totally. 

Coppers should cut about like this, imo. 

The miscreants would shit themselves. 

88f6c21d0e2eb2f71f1f1a11c1844ad0.jpg

Edited by Governor Tarkin

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

And across the road to the Belhaven. 

I worked in the Morningside branch of BofS next door (round the corner) to the Belhaven in the late 70's early 80's. They used to supply drink on a sale or return basis along with glasses for our office parties.

One well-known customer was John Smith MP, later Labour leader, he was a lovely guy.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

I worked in the Morningside branch of BofS next door (round the corner) to the Belhaven in the late 70's early 80's. They used to supply drink on a sale or return basis along with glasses for our office parties.

One well-known customer was John Smith MP, later Labour leader, he was a lovely guy.

I was a bit young for the Belhaven to be honest. I remember John Smith's funeral at Cluny Parish Church across the road. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him. 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I think the helmet is pants.

Probably because you had heard it was usually worn  over an *******.😁

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Probably because you had heard it was usually worn  over an *******.😁

:lol:

The BT police seem to have worn it for quite a few years after the regular police.

On 03/08/2021 at 08:14, Stuart Lyon said:

Alex's Bar on the left with the Conan Doyle on the opposite corner.

You sure? I'm just not seeing that at all. I'm assuming you are saying that's the top of Broughton Street on the left?

35 minutes ago, JWL said:

You sure? I'm just not seeing that at all. I'm assuming you are saying that's the top of Broughton Street on the left?

It says York place on the wall above the Conan Doyle and Picardy place above the other pub.

5 minutes ago, obua said:

It says York place on the wall above the Conan Doyle and Picardy place above the other pub.

Yeah, see that now. Just hadn't enlarged the image. Looks really weird.

41 minutes ago, JWL said:

All the buildings on the left are gone, and were where the roundabout with the kinetic sculpture would end up. The tram in the pic is heading in the direction of Broughton Street.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

A short walk back over to his house, sure he lived at the start of Cluny Gardens

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, bairdy said:

I must agree, esily the best 'thread' on the site.

Anybody got any old photos of Graham St in the 50's ?

C87552DB-7B54-4D9C-85A8-245619372BDA.jpeg

luckyBatistuta

Apologies if this has already been posted, losing track here

Newton Street Party, 1953

B668F771-84C0-4342-B2D5-34B67B2F1967.jpeg

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

1947278B-26D2-4BFE-90D8-5E5727089D0B.jpeg

27743917-0BF3-4252-808D-B8ECE39B66BC.jpeg

C67F3DF5-5D20-4B5D-9B17-9DB8004BE871.jpeg

This colourisation app I've got is very hit and miss but this one worked out OK. Some crackers Lucky B 👍

1628111712711.png

20210804_215919.jpg

Junction of Mcdonald Rd & Leith walk. I walked this way to Broughton Senior secondary from Abbeyhill every schooldays from 1966 to 1972.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Mister T said:

This colourisation app I've got is very hit and miss but this one worked out OK. Some crackers Lucky B 👍

1628111712711.png

After seeing some of the stuff you’ve done, looks like a good app to me 👌

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Junction of Mcdonald Rd & Leith walk. I walked this way to Broughton Senior secondary from Abbeyhill every schooldays from 1966 to 1972.

Was curious why it was called Senior secondary so looked up the history of the school.

https://www.broughton.edin.sch.uk/about/school-history.html

Doesn't say but note it moved to Carrington Road in 1972

Didn't realise saxophonist Tommy Smith went to Broughton. He also went to Dumbryden Primary and the WHEC

Was curious why it was called Senior secondary so looked up the history of the school.

https://www.broughton.edin.sch.uk/about/school-history.html

Doesn't say but note it moved to Carrington Road in 1972

Didn't realise saxophonist Tommy Smith went to Broughton. He also went to Dumbryden Primary and the WHEC

Senior Secondaries were in existence before the Introduction of comprehensive education in the 1970's. The new Broughton school was opened in 1972, I got the spring/summer term there before I left in 1972.

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, argyjambo said:

I'd been trying to place this for a while. I knew that I recognised it but couldn't put my finger on it. I worked on loads of those buildings when I was a stonemason.

12 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

47DCA52F-FB54-40EB-AF24-9F7FBE00A5EE.jpeg

E7FF5082-543F-4AC7-85BA-8C842CF43120.jpeg

899415A2-FCCE-409F-9271-BE0B709E8EFA.jpeg

7397BED2-912D-4D5E-85F9-E0E3EA2E8F69.jpeg

My mother worked in the accounts dept of PT's in the 70's. It was like a warren behind the main shop.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd been trying to place this for a while. I knew that I recognised it but couldn't put my finger on it. I worked on loads of those buildings when I was a stonemason.

Maybe you worked with my late dad, a red-headed crabbit stonemason, initials FP.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, argyjambo said:

Maybe you worked with my late dad, a red-headed crabbit stonemason, initials FP.

All stonemasons are crabbit. :D

My old journeyman told me on my first day as an apprentice that I only needed two fundamental qualities to be a good stonemason. A big belly to roll the big lumps of stone onto when you're carrying them, and a bad attitude.

I don't recognise the initials, sorry.