Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

It's criminal what has happened to Princes Street.  One of the most beautiful streets in the world.  Such a shame.

This.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
58 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

It's criminal what has happened to Princes Street.  One of the most beautiful streets in the world.  Such a shame.

Almost every city especially a capital city has a street which is a magnet for tourists & locals alike, Princes Street used to be one of those streets, not anymore though. 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Mark_Mywords said:

It's still a unique City Centre.

Shops on one side, the Gardens and Castle overlooking it on the other

Beats any of these pedestrian precinct ones throughout the UK towns and cities

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's still a unique City Centre.

Shops on one side, the Gardens and Castle overlooking it on the other

Beats any of these pedestrian precinct ones throughout the UK towns and cities

Correct.  Used to be largely residential, but the way it's evloved since, is a long way from criminal,, or shamful.

Edited by felix

I realize they were  slow and took up space, but the old trams did have an aura of character, and if still  in use would be touristy attracting antiques, but I guess Edinburghs objectives now are not so much in protecting the past but becoming more present and future oriented. Of course easy to say and criticize for someone who has not lived there for over fifty years

Mars plastic
17 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

100% correct. With St. James Qtr. having just opened there is a raft of retailers who have done a bolt along there. It's awash with those dreadful Haggistan tat shops, empty units and hotels full of jakeys.

Edited by Mars plastic

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

100% correct. With St. James Qtr. having just opened there is a raft of retailers who have done a bolt along there. It's awash with those dreadful Haggistan tat shops, empty units and hotels full of jakeys.

I like a bit of techno, but techno bagpipes full blast, embarrassing 😞

Mars plastic
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I like a bit of techno, but techno bagpipes full blast, embarrassing 😞

The housecore mix of that high road low road song is a belter.

Montgomery Brewster
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210724_003928.jpg

Used to work in the building to the right of the church a longtime ago now. And spent many a hazy lunchtime / evening in the George Hotel social club for staff 😁🍻

On 24/07/2021 at 05:36, Mars plastic said:

:lol::lol::lol:....one of the funniest things I've read on here for ages. Wife wondered what I was laughing at.

2 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

:lol::lol::lol:....one of the funniest things I've read on here for ages. Wife wondered what I was laughing at.

Should be in the thread about JKB sayings, its amazing how someone always come up with something totally new, fitting but funny.

7 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

DE8E1219-18C5-4950-B49F-353B17017EEC.jpeg

The taxi drivers on the right must be deep in conversation about Hearts as they seem to have missed the topless woman walking up to Waverley Bridge. 

Not sure the colour app has worked this time😂

DE8E1219-18C5-4950-B49F-353B17017EEC.thumb.jpeg.cd9c349b2e6e8e88dabd62b7cc858a65-colorized.jpg

Lone Striker
On 23/07/2021 at 21:05, Maroon Sailor said:

20210723_210248.jpg.d27645d77928bfe76cdf04cbf7ec05fe.jpg

What year is that from, MS ?   I know one of the Mackenzie family quite well, so I'd like to show him this.  They were made an "offer" by the cooncil  to close down to make way for the Festival Theatre.

Maroon Sailor
41 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

What year is that from, MS ?   I know one of the Mackenzie family quite well, so I'd like to show him this.  They were made an "offer" by the cooncil  to close down to make way for the Festival Theatre.

October 1928

This is a better picture 

20210727_150329.jpg.4d9a88a7234aa4464bf910a3e9e802ca.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

46 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I remember the shop which closed down, it was on the opposite side of the theatre from the one in the old pic.

b25l-Y21z-Om-Mw-Nzdm-Yz-M0-LTU1-ZDgt-NDB

Lone Striker

@Lemongrab@Maroon Sailor

Cheers, both.   I presume the original shop was run by my friend's grandfather originally.  When the Festival Theatre was being planned, the big sports stores were already squeezing the life out of wee shops like his - so the compensation  allowed him to diversify into the outdoor events industry (off-road driving, archery etc).   

He'll be delighted to see these photos though.  👍

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210728_000624.jpg.9e93ea1fad04809527295b37b6181302.jpg

Still gets flooding there.

That must be the late 50’s early 60’s.

Maroon Sailor
54 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yeah I've seen it flood there a few times. Your dates are probably right as those buses were before my time

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah I've seen it flood there a few times. Your dates are probably right as those buses were before my time

:lol:👍

been here before
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Was flooded there just a couple of weeks ago- a burst water main I think but ordinarily anything more than a bit of drizzle and its out with the canoes.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Was flooded there just a couple of weeks ago- a burst water main I think but ordinarily anything more than a bit of drizzle and its out with the canoes.

👍