• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

760DD8E0-C571-444B-A91E-132FDF116686.jpeg

Many a dodgy haircut from there in the 80's. Only place that the barber has asked how much do you want left as opposed to how much do you want off. 

Radio Ga Ga
Just now, Tazio said:

Many a dodgy haircut from there in the 80's. Only place that the barber has asked how much do you want left as opposed to how much do you want off. 

Been there over 120 years apparently 

Just now, Radio Ga Ga said:

Been there over 120 years apparently 

I think the old boy that ran it when I went there had been there since well before WWII I reckon as he was about 80 in those days. You used to try and engineer the queue to make sure he didn't cut your hair. 

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Princes street is a complete waste of time now. does anyone from edinburgh actually still go there?

Why are you bothered,did the pot noodle shop close.

Greedy Jambo
5 minutes ago, obua said:

Why are you bothered,did the pot noodle shop close.

HMV closing was the final straw for me, to be fair. It's a fecking sports direct now is it not?

Piss take and a half. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Odd Spot pub on the left.

Which I'm certain my maternal Grandfather knew well.  😄

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Yellow Carvel

20210730_101833.thumb.jpg.c5722b7033632eda75454c80d7092e78.jpg

North Sea Gas at the White Cockade in Rose Street around 1981 (I think)

NSG.JPG.b9987b674c2dde12bdcadb7af7242595.JPG

1 hour ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Postcard from 1920's states The Register showing Copenhagen, GPO and Register House.

Scan_20210730 (49).jpg

I am a wee bit curious about the date given my mother was a conductress on the trams after WW1, and the ones in the picture seem more modern than what  she described, she reffered to them as trolley cars and I am sure had open tops. I admit to possibly being totally wrong.

Edited by Sharpie

58 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210730_194449.jpg.efcdcd73025d589cdfa834fef2d013c9.jpg

That ground on the right is where I had my fall chasing the two bad guys, you see how flat it is in that view, hard to believe there is a substantial drop to allow for the foundations for whatever had been there. I went down like the proverbial bag of .../ and the two guys were concerned enough to come back and see if I was Ok. I was fine but just let them go felt that I owed them something for their interest. A while ago now some time around middle off 1956.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I am a wee bit curious about the date given my mother was a conductress on the trams after WW1, and the ones in the picture seem more modern than what  she described, she reffered to them as trolley cars and I am sure had open tops. I admit to possibly being totally wrong.

Here's a photo of a tram supposedly taken during or just after WWI.

edin-edtcon-electric-a222red.jpg

The site it came from also has some photos of female tram staff from around the same period. It's a hell of a long shot...but you never know.

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/page366/page366.html

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210730_200022.jpg

The stair top left , ground flat right, was the exact location where my fall mentioned in another post commenced.

11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Here's a photo of a tram supposedly taken during or just after WWI.

edin-edtcon-electric-a222red.jpg

The site it came from also has some photos of female tram staff from around the same period. It's a hell of a long shot...but you never know.

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/page366/page366.html

Thanks for that checked no sign of Mum in any of the pictures. When about sixteen she left her job in service and travelled by train from Inverness to Hereford where she worked in an ammunition factory during WW1. At the end of the war she got a job as a nanny to an army officer and moved with he and his family to Piershill Barracks in Edinburgh. The officer then got a promotion and a transfer to India, my mother was offered to go with them but declined, I suspect that was when she got on the trams. She quit that at some point and went back to being in service. She remained good friends with her tram driver Bill Morris, who later drove a #7 bus, Surgeons Hall to Newcraighall. When I was seven or eight I used to visit Bills family in Iona Street, he had three daughters, and they used to make a fuss of me, all in their teens. My hair was as straight as a tram track, and they teased me by calling me Curly. It was worth it I always came away with a pocket of pennies in reward for taking their nonsense. Like the trams a simple form of transport, so was life for a wee boy of these days.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

That ground on the right is where I had my fall chasing the two bad guys, you see how flat it is in that view, hard to believe there is a substantial drop to allow for the foundations for whatever had been there. I went down like the proverbial bag of .../ and the two guys were concerned enough to come back and see if I was Ok. I was fine but just let them go felt that I owed them something for their interest. A while ago now some time around middle off 1956.

The ground on the right was known as "The Bowling Green."

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The ground on the right was known as "The Bowling Green."

Was it till stepped like.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Was it till stepped like.

Can't remember if it was.

There was definitely no bowling when I lived there in the 50's.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can't remember if it was.

There was definitely no bowling when I lived there in the 50's.

I always thought the way it had been levelled and as I described it stepped there had been buildings there, never knew it as the bowling green, but as kids did they just called things what they thought they looked like.

joondalupjambo
On 29/07/2021 at 16:12, Radio Ga Ga said:

C1C4AC33-BCB8-4C7E-9E58-9848602B35C9.jpeg

Great to see all these pics of Stockbridge and surrounds you posted.  Could this be a photo of the Beddies by chance?  That was what we called the folk that lived in Bedford Street, they were all moved out in the 60's I think perhaps to West Lothian somewhere?

joondalupjambo
On 29/07/2021 at 16:14, Radio Ga Ga said:

1A1D72C9-8723-4670-AFEE-E8BC8F644107.jpeg

Jeez forgot that you could park your car down that bit, bottom of a wee lane off main drag in Stockbridge opposite Leslie Place.  

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I always thought the way it had been levelled and as I described it stepped there had been buildings there, never knew it as the bowling green, but as kids did they just called things what they thought they looked like.

👍

Seymour M Hersh
32 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Seaforth Terrace

20210731_095847.jpg.b2cef4fdaa0d3000660d098278a2d3eb.jpg

Ah, the memories. We moved there in 66. Mum eventually sold in 96. Obviously this pic is decades before we got there. The furthest away awning was Millers the butchers.Then a bakers that became a hair salon and finally the nearest shop in the picture was the Gainsburgh Cafe, now a Chinese restaurant/take-away. Salad days. :lol:

Radio Ga Ga
59 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Looks like Stenhouse Road.

Calder Road near the prison entrance??