• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/08/2021 at 12:04, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was given sine die from the SFA.

He was a hard man in days when football players were normal working lads, even on occasions coming to a game after having spent a Saturday morning at their regular job. Woodburn went a bit rank for a while getting sent off, if the SFA hadn't reacted as they did with the character of the working lads playing for the teams games would have turned into similar to hockey games where fights are just dealt with by a five minute penalty, Woodburn was used to some extent as an example after a series of misconduct punishments including Sine Die.

On 08/08/2021 at 15:20, Sharpie said:

He was a hard man on the field to the extent he was suspended Sine Die. I seem to recall seeing him around the St Leonards area where he was brought up. Never heard of the team mentioned, always knew him as a Glasgow Rangers. I saw him play at Tynecastle never followed his career but he must have been rough to get Sine Die. Mind you it was a different game in those days, many hard men, Bobby Parker, Willie Telfer, Eddie Turnbull was no wimp, and with the other end of the spectrum Wee Hammy who could have made an angel angry, boy it was so worth the time and money for Tynecastle one week and somewhere on a bus or train trip the next week.

I remember seeing a photo of wee Hammy squaring up to John Hughes of ceptic , who was about twice his size !

Just now, bairdy said:

I remember seeing a photo of wee Hammy squaring up to John Hughes of ceptic , who was about twice his size !

Hammy was an absolute character, you just had to love him. I was at the Palais one night and Hammy and a number of the Hearts players were standing at the edge of the floor. I was dancing with a cute little blonde from Ferniehill area Sadie my current at the time girl friend. I had my back to Hammy and the boys when I passed him and he obviously made a comment about my dance partner, when we spun the guys were pointing out to Hammy my size, his face was worth a fortune, he didn't know what to do, run, fight apologise, I relieved the situation by wagging a finger at him, and carrying on dancing. We became nodding acquaintances when I was working games at Tynie, a great wee lad, and an interesting wee player. He had that which I always admire, character.

Maroon Sailor

Sailors from the aircraft carrier USS Randolph

Must be Granton or Leith

20210810_101644.jpg

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sailors from the aircraft carrier USS Randolph

Must be Granton or Leith

20210810_101644.jpg

Granton Square I think?

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Granton Square I think?

You're right. The right hand side of the pic put doubt in my mind but the houses at the top of the hill probably confirms it is the square

24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You're right. The right hand side of the pic put doubt in my mind but the houses at the top of the hill probably confirms it is the square

You can see the toilets just in front of the tram.

23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210809_200037.jpg

Edinburgh's coat of arms & motto possibly in silver and ready

For mounting on to something suitable, ooooh errr missus!

Maroon Sailor
27 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Edinburgh's coat of arms & motto possibly in silver and ready

For mounting on to something suitable, ooooh errr missus!

Edinburgh Corporation bus drivers cap badge

2 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Earl Grey St?

Yeah, I don't know when it's from, but Lothian House was built in 1936.

12 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Yeah, I don't know when it's from, but Lothian House was built in 1936.

I think it's from the site where New Uberior house stands, I worked for BofS in the Business Banking division there, for a few years.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

41 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

I think it's from the site where New Uberior house stands, I worked for BofS in the Business Banking division there, for a few years.

Sorry, I think it's taken from the corner of Morrison Street and Semple Street, looking towards Lothian Road leading on to Earl Grey Street. The corner of the tenement on the right will be where the Costa is over from New Uberior House.

Montgomery Brewster
16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Sorry, I think it's taken from the corner of Morrison Street and Semple Street, looking towards Lothian Road leading on to Earl Grey Street. The corner of the tenement on the right will be where the Costa is over from New Uberior House.

Correct 

Lone Striker
On 07/08/2021 at 10:48, The Real Maroonblood said:

His garage was on Lanark Road just next to Craiglockart Avenue. 

Yes. It was called Thimblehall Garage - no idea about the significance of the name  though.     I think his brother Douglas worked there too - fished with him a couple of times 30-odd years ago.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yes. It was called Thimblehall Garage - no idea about the significance of the name  though.     I think his brother Douglas worked there too - fished with him a couple of times 30-odd years ago.

It was called that.

👍

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

There was a petrol station called Thimblehall there until sometime in the 2000s.

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210812_162005.jpg

Junction of St Mary's St, Pleasance, Holyrood Road, and Cowgate.

1 hour ago, Mister T said:

PSX_20210812_231635.jpg

That's a strange one. These days the Heart of Midlothian is sort of in line with what I think is the Lawnmarket Well Head, on the pavement and the building to the left of the Well Head doesn't look like anything there now.

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

That's a strange one. These days the Heart of Midlothian is sort of in line with what I think is the Lawnmarket Well Head, on the pavement and the building to the left of the Well Head doesn't look like anything there now.

There are photos I’ve seen on here from the past of the entire Heart out of the ground being shifted for some reason.  

3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

4168F2D2-46BA-41B6-8174-34FED1E14311.jpeg

A common sight to the young Pc116A, what a simple quiet life it was in these days. Move over to the road to pass the woman, round the block and back to the box in Marshal Street for piece time.

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210813_154101.jpg

High street at North Bridge, the scene, Grants of my parents regular lunches, a treat for my mother in their retirements.

57 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210813_144914.thumb.jpg.59ae7140cfb36d987af3d252ca8aacc9.jpg

I had a poetry book full of poignant B&W photos like this when I was at school. Colour makes it a wee bit happier

20210813_144914.thumb.jpg.59ae7140cfb36d987af3d252ca8aacc9-colorized.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I had a poetry book full of poignant B&W photos like this when I was at school. Colour makes it a wee bit happier

20210813_144914.thumb.jpg.59ae7140cfb36d987af3d252ca8aacc9-colorized.jpg

Has to be a wee Jambo maroon tractor