Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Lone Striker

Someone mentioned Goldbergs a page or so back.

Goldbergs department store in High Riggs, Tollcross.

I'd forgotten what an ugly building it looked from the outside.   It looked out of place, but was quite smart and modern inside  though.     

My Dad's uncle got a job there as "doorman" after he retired from the railways - kitted out in a posh uniform, telling shoppers where the department they want is, and  opening the door for them.   

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
57 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Comiston Road 1989

6FFBA2C4-0CF1-4B50-8107-A598D91609F1.jpeg

Spent more time picking films in there than actually watching them. 

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210719_232016.thumb.jpg.b22c7e573e3680a1c6c6089327348213.jpg

That looks like Marchmont Road, I worked in the BofS branch at the top of the road in the late 1970's.  What was the business of that shop? Is it a pub now?

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Mister T said:

The shop painted blue in the centre sold models and train sets. 

No idea why I can’t remember that. We used to go to Wonderland a lot, so no idea why we never went in there, as we would have to have passed it on the way.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

That looks like Marchmont Road, I worked in the BofS branch at the top of the road in the late 1970's.  What was the business of that shop? Is it a pub now?

It was a furrier, think it’s an estate agent now

edit: just looked on Google Earth, it’s a Leaf and Bean Cafe

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

4711342025_64a61d0013_b.jpg

It always strikes me funny how in the old days the bairn was on a leash and the dog running loose.

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Someone mentioned Goldbergs a page or so back.

Goldbergs department store in High Riggs, Tollcross.

I'd forgotten what an ugly building it looked from the outside.   It looked out of place, but was quite smart and modern inside  though.     

My Dad's uncle got a job there as "doorman" after he retired from the railways - kitted out in a posh uniform, telling shoppers where the department they want is, and  opening the door for them.   

Did Goldberg's not have automatic opening doors, the wonder of the age 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

No idea why I can’t remember that. We used to go to Wonderland a lot, so no idea why we never went in there, as we would have to have passed it on the way.

There was another one on the corner of Gardner cres and Morrison Street. I think it was called railmart. Can't remember what the one at bruntsfield was called but I got a solido tank with real metal tracks out it! I think I've still got it in a box in the loft. 

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, inspector said:

Maybe later on (70s ?), but not in the 60s when it opened.

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, Mister T said:

There was another one on the corner of Gardner cres and Morrison Street. I think it was called railmart. Can't remember what the one at bruntsfield was called but I got a solido tank with real metal tracks out it! I think I've still got it in a box in the loft. 

Even more astounded now that I don’t remember it, was big into my tanks and army trucks then

Lone Striker

How's this for a "Back to the Future" moment ........

A black and white photograph of labourers laying tramlines and re-assembling the cobbled street below.

Tram lines being laid in Leith Walk in 1904 !!   😀

Jambo-Jimbo
36 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A black and white photograph of labourers laying tramlines and re-assembling the cobbled street below.

My Great Grandfather & Great Great Grandfather could be one of those workers, as that was their job, to lay the cobblestones, were known as Causeway layers/paviours.  Notice no machinery, everything was done by hand back then.

3 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Coffee shop I think

Is that BofS branch a wee single storey building on the corner of strathearn road?  It is (was) a nice wee café last time I was up that way.

Edited by FWJ

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, inspector said:

They did.

Quite unique then.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe later on (70s ?), but not in the 60s when it opened.

I disagree.

They were there when it opened. 

I remember as a kid as it was quite novel standing on the mat to make them open. 

Lone Striker
19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I disagree.

They were there when it opened. 

I remember as a kid as it was quite novel standing on the mat to make them open. 

Interesting.  I guess Dad's uncle was a "meet & greet" man then - presumably just inside the door.   😉    My Mum didn't like him much, so usually waited till he'd collared another shopper before nipping in past him.   😀

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My Great Grandfather & Great Great Grandfather could be one of those workers, as that was their job, to lay the cobblestones, were known as Causeway layers/paviours.  Notice no machinery, everything was done by hand back then.

Interesting info. 👍  Very hard graft in those days - imagine doing those jobs in the current heatwave too.  By comparison, most of us are lazy B'stards nowadays. :whistling:

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting info. 👍  Very hard graft in those days - imagine doing those jobs in the current heatwave too.  By comparison, most of us are lazy B'stards nowadays. :whistling:

My Grandfather followed his father & grandfather into the same job and he would have been laying cobblestones from the around the 1920's, he was a wee guy maybe around 5'6 maybe smaller, but he was built like a tank, solid, just pure muscle.

As for us being lazy nowadays, well we certainly don't use up the calories like they did back then, that's for sure.

The Real Maroonblood
51 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting.  I guess Dad's uncle was a "meet & greet" man then - presumably just inside the door.   😉    My Mum didn't like him much, so usually waited till he'd collared another shopper before nipping in past him.   😀

It's more than likely there was also manual doors for those scared 😀 to use the automatic doors. 

Montgomery Brewster
3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Coffee shop I think

Is that BofS branch a wee single storey building on the corner of strathearn road?  It is (was) a nice wee café last time I was up that way.

The cafe you mention was a tsb. The bos branch was slightly to the right / black shiny marble type building

Maroon Sailor

1971 the original Calder Road - trying to work out what part. Is this on the Broomhouse side ?

20210720_194853.thumb.jpg.9e0994640a4334383aaa697896af4d15.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1971 the original Calder Road - trying to work out what part. Is this on the Broomhouse side ?

Yes.

5 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Screenshot_20210720_200740-colorized.jpg

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Think you are bang on with your judgement on folks these days. Most people living now won’t know the meaning  of a hard days graft. 

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Screenshot_20210720_200740-colorized.jpg

Always feels more real when you see it in colour

2 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The cafe you mention was a tsb. The bos branch was slightly to the right / black shiny marble type building

👍

36 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Always feels more real when you see it in colour

Yeah. The boy at the front looks like he's going to deck the cameraman 😂

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Yeah. The boy at the front looks like he's going to deck the cameraman 😂

Never thought about that until you pointed it out, he does have that look🤣

larbertjambo
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

It always strikes me funny how in the old days the bairn was on a leash and the dog running loose.

The two wee guys in this picture are great friends of mine. (Despite being hibbies) 

The taller (oldest) has been a close pal for over 45 years now. Seen this photo quite a few times. 

Lone Striker
14 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A real Zebra Crossing. 

ECC845BF-42D0-4148-9083-0AF875BA1666.jpeg

😂 Amazing what you can see in Edinburgh !!     Poor thing, it must have been terrified - it begs the question why the girl was taking it across the road though.    I take it thats Corstorphine Road, with the zoo entrance on the right ?

Edited by Lone Striker

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

😂 Amazing what you can see in Edinburgh !!     Poor thing, it must have been terrified - it begs the question why the girl was taking it across the road though.    I take it thats Corstorphine Road, with the zoo entrance on the right ?

Just cannot resist an answer to the question twhy the girl was taking it across the road, to get to the other side, drum roll follows just like they did in the old days when Lex Maclean cracked that joke.

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's the Longstone junction at the lights.

calder.jpg

5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A real Zebra Crossing. 

It's got a saddle on. Could kids get rides on the Zebras? I have no recollection of that at all. 

been here before
4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

calder.jpg

Even then there were ignorant wanks parking on pavements.

Lone Striker
7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

calder.jpg

I think you're right.  Looking along the A71 towards Saughton prison ?

Lone Striker
12 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A real Zebra Crossing. 

Prior to the Forestry Commission building being there - unless its hiding behind the number 12 bus !!

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

Taken today

IMG-20210721-WA0007.jpg

Back to the Future indeed

Must get a cracking view from that tower block