• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuart Lyon
58 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Loving the inside of pub pictures.  Any more?

Pubs were amazing back then.  Smoke and proper pint glasses.

:sob:

Barley Bree Morrison St (now demolished).jpg

10 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Barley Bree Morrison St (now demolished).jpg

That looks a great boozer.

Proper old school landlord and landlady and guy at bar with a half pint and a nip.

Ashtrays on tables 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Australis said:

Am I right he was a stonemason too.

Sure my elder brother worked with him many a time?

He was. I never worked with him myself (probably too young) but heard folk talk of him regularly.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Loving the inside of pub pictures.  Any more?

Pubs were amazing back then.  Smoke and proper pint glasses.

Have dimple glasses at the Firhill taverna.

8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He was. I never worked with him myself (probably too young) but heard folk talk of him regularly.

Have dimple glasses at the Firhill taverna.

Not sure if true but I was told we stopped using them in Scotland as standard due to them being used in fights.

A pint just tasted nicer in them.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Not sure if true but I was told we stopped using them in Scotland as standard due to them being used in fights.

A pint just tasted nicer in them.

That's what I was told too. No idea if it's true or not though.

Stuart Lyon
28 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

That looks a great boozer.

Proper old school landlord and landlady and guy at bar with a half pint and a nip.

Ashtrays on tables 

Ye auld Hoose St Leonard's.jpg

Centre Spot Morrison St 1969.jpg

Guildford Arms March 1959.jpg

Sherry Bar (now Swanny's Ratcliffe Terrace.jpg

Sherry Bar now Swanny's Ratcliffe Tce.jpg

Stuart Lyon
1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Ye auld Hoose St Leonard's.jpg

Centre Spot Morrison St 1969.jpg

Guildford Arms March 1959.jpg

Sherry Bar (now Swanny's Ratcliffe Terrace.jpg

Sherry Bar now Swanny's Ratcliffe Tce.jpg

First pic is Ye Auld Hoose St Leonards second is the Centre Spot Morrison St 1969. Third pic is Guidford Arms 1959 and the last 2 ar the Sherry Bar now Swanny's at Ratcliffe Terrace

SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Is that Eddie Thomson sitting on the stool?

Yes. Can’t figure out who the other guy is.

Alan Anderson ran the bar at the old Hearts Social Club, at least once, for supporters’ functions, as I recall. Can’t remember why though. Maybe the bar arrangement by Hearts had fallen through by then. It didn’t last very long.

7 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Alan Anderson ran the bar at the old Hearts Social Club, at least once, for supporters’ functions, as I recall. Can’t remember why though. Maybe the bar arrangement by Hearts had fallen through by then. It didn’t last very long.

Could the other person be Dave Clunie?

SectionDJambo
45 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Definitely not Dave Clunie. 

Billy Higgins ?

Probably not. He emigrated to South Africa in 1967. I would reckon this photo is around 1970. 
Maybe the guy isn’t a footballer.

15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Maybe the guy isn’t a footballer.

Wouldn’t stop him getting a game for Hearts at some points in the seventies. 

been here before
On 28/07/2021 at 00:12, Maroon Sailor said:

20210728_000624.jpg.9e93ea1fad04809527295b37b6181302.jpg

On 28/07/2021 at 09:06, The Real Maroonblood said:

Still gets flooding there.

That must be the late 50’s early 60’s.

On 28/07/2021 at 10:05, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah I've seen it flood there a few times. Your dates are probably right as those buses were before my time

On 28/07/2021 at 11:31, been here before said:

Was flooded there just a couple of weeks ago- a burst water main I think but ordinarily anything more than a bit of drizzle and its out with the canoes.

Went past about an hour ago and would you believe...

Screenshot_20210806-153648_Gallery.thumb.jpg.91eb43e677ee97ca9d1f5647777f2790.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153834_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f30bba1ca4a75ff63f2462e850cdc8b6.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153919_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2af057621a50dea3e668618cc116c8af.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153716_Gallery.thumb.jpg.69c803e9b2c8ac2809d2c97d4a8ea87c.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153740_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c7e3a5da24ef512761864c5d5038dd71.jpg

SectionDJambo
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Wouldn’t stop him getting a game for Hearts at some points in the seventies. 

You were there too, then?

It wasn’t good, was it? Apart from too few wee glints of sunshine.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Not a royalist by any means but I do see the joy our grandparents had back in the day from events like the Coronoation etc.  Really did bring streets together.  I'd cross the street if I seen any of my neighbours walking down the road and don't know the name of anyone in my street.  

Times were just better back then.

They were indeed. I knew the names of just about everyone in the neighbouring stairs at the bottom of Marchmont crescent when I was a young lad. Now you don’t even want to be out in the street as a kid, as you’re probably going to get told to #### off and play somewhere else by someone you don’t know.

5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Did you have to pass the 11+ exam to get in ? 

Depending on how old you were, 11+ was phased out as I recall in the early 1960's as I never sat one. We did IQ tests or similar as I recall rather indistinct, as it was 55 years ago for me. Maybe others experiences were different, but I can only go by my own experience.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Screenshot_20210806-153648_Gallery.thumb.jpg.91eb43e677ee97ca9d1f5647777f2790.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153834_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f30bba1ca4a75ff63f2462e850cdc8b6.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153919_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2af057621a50dea3e668618cc116c8af.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153716_Gallery.thumb.jpg.69c803e9b2c8ac2809d2c97d4a8ea87c.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-153740_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c7e3a5da24ef512761864c5d5038dd71.jpg

That’s brutal.

4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Blue Blazer late 1990s

Blue Blazer.JPG

Remember that pub very well, big Robin behind the bar & a great pint of McEwans 80/-.

I worked at the BofS Lothian Road branch on the corner of Bread St & Lothian Road 1988-1990. Every Friday lunchtime I'd go for a pint to see who was in, and who I wanted to see in the branch to sort out their accounts.

A remarkable array of clientele ranging from Kenny Ireland the Lyceum Director at the time and later star of Benidorm. Ex - England captain Johnny Haynes used to pop in sometimes to cash cheques my customers had given him. He of course, did not need to produce any Identification.

A few members of Edinburgh's organised crime fraternity, a few " working girls" who had accounts in various names.

Wouldn't happen now of course, because of anti-money laundering regulations. All in all an interesting place to work and happy times.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

On 04/08/2021 at 20:29, luckyBatistuta said:

C87552DB-7B54-4D9C-85A8-245619372BDA.jpeg

Brilliant !   My stair was facing the road to West Bowling Green St.

I presume the welcome was for the men back from the war.

My old man was in the navy, he said by the time he got back, all the celebrations were over !

Thanks LB for that.👍

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

You were there too, then?

It wasn’t good, was it? Apart from too few wee glints of sunshine.

Thank feck there wasn't any internet/social media back then, some of the poor wee lambs nowadays wouldn't have coped. :laugh:

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Thank feck there wasn't any internet/social media back then, some of the poor wee lambs nowadays wouldn't have coped. :laugh:

The first relegation and the subsequent yo yo seasons would have finished some of them. It helped me increase my collection of grounds visited seeing Hearts and clubs seen playing against us. After Albion Rovers in 1998 I had the full set of clubs. Then they started letting more in.

3 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Depending on how old you were, 11+ was phased out as I recall in the early 1960's as I never sat one. We did IQ tests or similar as I recall rather indistinct, as it was 55 years ago for me. Maybe others experiences were different, but I can only go by my own experience.

I sat the Qualifying in 1946, I passed high and was offered bursaries too Heriots and Royal High. When I told my mother she didn't believe me and went to the school and spoke to Mr Moffat the headmaster, he advised her they thought I must have cheated or there was an error somewhere but so far it looked like I had passed. I had and refused the two schools and against my will went to Boroughmuir and wasted three years.

Later in life I was at the F.B.I. Academy in Quantico Virginia. On the day before graduation we had a psychology exam scheduled a short time before my wife plane arrived from Vancouver. It turned out I aced the exam in record time. Just like Mr Moffat they check investigated, scrutinized how I could have cheated, then accepted I had done nothing illegal.  I spoke to them later, and after the interviews and some relevant questions they diagnosed I had a photographic memory, and multiple choice exams where the answer was present in the choices was gravy to me.

joondalupjambo
16 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Eddie Thomson, I was convinced it was Tommy Veitch but now looking at the two of them in old photos it is very hard to see a difference.  You are probably right though.

18 hours ago, been here before said:

Why would you drive through that?? Mental. 

19 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Just a thought, but I think the other guy is Willie Woodburn.

SectionDJambo
9 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Just a thought, but I think the other guy is Willie Woodburn.

You could very well be correct. I'm fairly sure that he had a garage business in Edinburgh and the guy in the photo does look like him. Wouldn't be a surprise if he had friendships and connections within the Edinburgh footballers community.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

You could very well be correct. I'm fairly sure that he had a garage business in Edinburgh and the guy in the photo does look like him. Wouldn't be a surprise if he had friendships and connections within the Edinburgh footballers community.

His garage was on Lanark Road just next to Craiglockart Avenue. 

On 06/08/2021 at 12:05, Maroon Sailor said:

Alan Anderson's pub. Need a reminder of what it was called

20210806_120119.thumb.jpg.d6ca70dd53f0d2137cf5b8cde266bb8a.jpg

1628247762811.thumb.png.d47788a64e659b547252a5f4e8c6778e.png

The “Pivot”? 🤔

Carl Fredrickson
On 05/08/2021 at 20:37, Radio Ga Ga said:

3595F8CC-AC23-4397-A160-2ACF25C266A1.jpeg

My first job in the 1980s was in the Water & Drainage Dept of Lothian Regional Council and the Toddle-In was opposite our office. The Malt Shovel was next door (or next door to that) and the wee baked tattie shop too. Fopp opened up too and my salary could be spent between those 4 outlets in the one street. As long as I could pay my folks digs and my £16 bus pass for the month I was happy. 

On 07/08/2021 at 10:48, The Real Maroonblood said:

His garage was on Lanark Road just next to Craiglockart Avenue. 

My dad was a customer of that garage and he had confirmed that it is indeed Willie Woodburn standing up. Although a Rangers player, Woodburn was a Hearts fan.

Our family still refer to that junction as Willie Woodburn's garage.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Ally Bee said:

My dad was a customer of that garage and he had confirmed that it is indeed Willie Woodburn standing up. Although a Rangers player, Woodburn was a Hearts fan.

Apparently he played for Edinburgh Ashton - never heard of them.

Bit of a hard man by all accounts

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He was a hard man on the field to the extent he was suspended Sine Die. I seem to recall seeing him around the St Leonards area where he was brought up. Never heard of the team mentioned, always knew him as a Glasgow Rangers. I saw him play at Tynecastle never followed his career but he must have been rough to get Sine Die. Mind you it was a different game in those days, many hard men, Bobby Parker, Willie Telfer, Eddie Turnbull was no wimp, and with the other end of the spectrum Wee Hammy who could have made an angel angry, boy it was so worth the time and money for Tynecastle one week and somewhere on a bus or train trip the next week.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Ally Bee said:

👍

I can relate to your last sentence.

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

From the Evening News 1937.

woodburn.jpg

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

From the Evening News 1937.

woodburn.jpg

Looks like they played in Corstorphine

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He was given sine die from the SFA.

46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He was given sine die from the SFA.

And probably for a lot less than some of the nonsense that happens these days. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I agree.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I think he was sent off four times in his career, at least a couple of which were for retaliation, including his final one where he head butted the player who fouled him.