• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, superjack said:

Is that drumsheugh baths?

Yes - never been myself but would've tried that trapeze type thing !

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Taken in the Locarno ? 

It wasn't mentioned but I believe he went there. 13 years old in that phot

40 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes - never been myself but would've tried that trapeze type thing !

My mate worked there in the mid 90s as a lifeguard. A few of us would meet him when he was closing up so we could have a shot on the trapeze and the hanging rings, was great fun. We were all annoyed when he left that job. As he was a hibby, that job was probably his only redeeming feature!

Lone Striker
On 14/07/2021 at 18:57, Radio Ga Ga said:

B2E434BF-3A3A-436E-908F-85CBE7A4941F.jpeg

Is that the old Craigmount school ?

Lone Striker
11 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

31518785-59F2-4059-BADC-7672DF10CAB3.jpeg

Cracking photo - didn't know there was a hotel there.  Bottom of Cockburn Street where it meets Market Street. Ground floor is the Tattoo ticket office now.   Thanks for posting that, sir !

Stewart MacD
On 15/06/2021 at 06:52, Radio Ga Ga said:

Edinburgh Lodging House

53B59BAD-7820-47C3-B9A8-98052DB1F3B1.jpeg

Dressing Room at Easter Road hasn't changed much.

On 17/07/2021 at 15:02, Maroon Sailor said:

Madame Doubtfire's - Stockbridge

20210717_150047.jpg

Another evocative image from bygone Edinburgh - great post 👍

Lone Striker

My Dad used to take me out to the airport  now & again when I was a young lad.  Even though Turnhouse was tiny compared to today’s airport, the excitement of seeing planes landing and taking off at close quarters made  a big impression.  Especially when the French & Irish rugby teams were playing at Murrayfield  - loads of noisy colourful fans would arrive over several days on Aer Lingus  aircraft (Vanguards & Viscounts) and Air France aircraft (Caravelles).      

Entrance to Turnhouse from the old  Maybury to Kirkliston road - 

image.png.defc70c41e7bcd72b27339e1a98c202e.png

Lone Striker

An aerial photo of Turnhouse from the Kirkliston end, looking towards Maybury, Corstorphine & SIghthill.   At the left edge beyond the RAF buildings is Turnhouse golf course.     The short cross runway was used by small training planes like Cessnas.    The white circle on the right is  a helicopter landing pad, and just above it are the Ferranti engineering hangars.   

When a plane was due to land or take off  above the road at the bottom of the picture , a barrier came down to stop traffic …… an early example of "elf'n'safety"  !!     Round about 1970, they installed a huge net (aye, really !) to catch any aircraft overshooting that end of the runway – after 2 of them actually did !!  

image.png.163b0f003e4637f227c39c49e4a544b8.png

Lone Striker

These aren’t passengers – they’re just enthusiastically waiting to catch a glimpse of the  King of Norway  in the 1960s.  Well, who wouldn't ?     Anyone could walk in to the airport back then and go out to the viewing gallery.   Changed days.

image.png.a7d42e14fc651ffd3e3868962002bf35.png

Lone Striker

John Menzies had a monopoly on airport shopping around 1970.   The counter I remember was slightly bigger than this one …… but not much.   Magazines, newspapers, sweets, crisps and Coca-Cola were about all they had.

image.png.926bd413dfafaec2c296ec9b9f105cb7.png

24 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

My Dad used to take me out to the airport  now & again when I was a young lad.  Even though Turnhouse was tiny compared to today’s airport, the excitement of seeing planes landing and taking off at close quarters made  a big impression.  Especially when the French & Irish rugby teams were playing at Murrayfield  - loads of noisy colourful fans would arrive over several days on Aer Lingus  aircraft (Vanguards & Viscounts) and Air France aircraft (Caravelles).      

Entrance to Turnhouse from the old  Maybury to Kirkliston road - 

image.png.defc70c41e7bcd72b27339e1a98c202e.png

When my Dad took me out to the airport it was a RAF base, and full of Spitfires and Hurricanes.  A #1 tram to the Maybury and then a walk up the road to the gates which were guarded by an RAF sentry. We could stand there and watch the fighters taking off and landing but never allowed on the wartime base. Later in the sixties, when having a weekend off or back shift I would walk my baby son  from our house on Clerwood Loan and go into the now open airport and have a coffee watching the commercial aircraft take off and land. In later life I landed from London where I had arrived from Canada to Edinburgh, the airport always seemed to be a source of some memory or other.

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

When my Dad took me out to the airport it was a RAF base, and full of Spitfires and Hurricanes.  A #1 tram to the Maybury and then a walk up the road to the gates which were guarded by an RAF sentry. We could stand there and watch the fighters taking off and landing but never allowed on the wartime base. Later in the sixties, when having a weekend off or back shift I would walk my baby son  from our house on Clerwood Loan and go into the now open airport and have a coffee watching the commercial aircraft take off and land. In later life I landed from London where I had arrived from Canada to Edinburgh, the airport always seemed to be a source of some memory or other.

Great memories there, Bob.  I recall seeing the Spitfire on its stand in the late 60s.  I think the RAF moved out completely in the  70s, taking the Spitfire with them.

45 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Another showing plane spotters on the viewing gallery

image.png.f3b9e86a0bca32780087d92707302770.png

Crikey. I remember getting taken there to watch the planes. I must have been 5 years old or so. Big plane with noisy propellers. And the smell of kerosene. Who needs Bisto? 

Radio Ga Ga
6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Great memories there, Bob.  I recall seeing the Spitfire on its stand in the late 60s.  I think the RAF moved out completely in the  70s, taking the Spitfire with them.

The Spitfire and stand are now situated at the 'new' airport

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

The Spitfire and stand are now situated at the 'new' airport

The original Spitfire is now at the RAF museum at Hendon. The plane on the memorial is a fibreglass replica.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The original Spitfire is now at the RAF museum at Hendon. The plane on the memorial is a fibreglass replica.

I didn’t know the original went to Hendon.

With that many nutters going about these days maybe just as well.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Radio Ga Ga
35 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Didn’t realise that, just assumed they had moved it to EDI

12 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Didn’t realise that, just assumed they had moved it to EDI

The replica at EDI is named after the Spitfire 'Blue Peter' which crashed in the Galloway Hills during WWII and was discovered in 1993. Bits of it are at Dumfries & Galloway Aviation Museum.

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Correct.  👍

Maroon Sailor
12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

These aren’t passengers – they’re just enthusiastically waiting to catch a glimpse of the  King of Norway  in the 1960s.  Well, who wouldn't ?     Anyone could walk in to the airport back then and go out to the viewing gallery.   Changed days.

Used to do that as a kid during the summer holidays. Just watch planes take off and land for about a hour

Fxxx the SPFL
12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

my first vacation abroad was in 1974 Benidorm (sticky Vicky i'm sure was on the go then) as young 17 year old five of us from Gorgie/Westfield went was totally embarrassed when i saw my mother standing on the viewing gallery waving a white hankie and crying none of the other lads parents turned up nightmare good holiday though. Plane was Cosmos propeller job

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

my first vacation abroad was in 1974 Benidorm (sticky Vicky i'm sure was on the go then) as young 17 year old five of us from Gorgie/Westfield went was totally embarrassed when i saw my mother standing on the viewing gallery waving a white hankie and crying none of the other lads parents turned up nightmare good holiday though. Plane was Cosmos propeller job

Sticky Vicky, now there’s a blast from the past. Saw her with my mates in Benidorm in around 1988, she was kind enough to take the top off my beer bottle for me🤣

Lone Striker
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Used to do that as a kid during the summer holidays. Just watch planes take off and land for about a hour

It was fascinating, wasn't it.    I used to love seeing the ground staff chap with the 2 table tennis bats, directing the pilot of the incoming plane where to park on the apron.    Then all the trucks that rushed out to the plane - the steps, the lorry for the luggage coming out the cargo hold, the fuel tanker, and the one which looked like it was charging the plane's batteries at the front wheel.    Amazing stuff.   Little did we know how much all these machines were polluting the planet.

Maroon Sailor

I like the 1960s photos. Either the vehicles were smaller or the roads were just wide. Some classic looking cars.

20210719_140935.thumb.jpg.fa65d5a0a8383e5a78b3f49ea189f95c.jpg

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I like the 1960s photos. Either the vehicles were smaller or the roads were just wide. Some classic looking cars.

The roads were wider then. If I remember correctly, it was the early 80s the pavements were widened?

Fxxx the SPFL
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sticky Vicky, now there’s a blast from the past. Saw her with my mates in Benidorm in around 1988, she was kind enough to take the top off my beer bottle for me🤣

bet she didn't use her teeth lol.

Lone Striker
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks like parking in Princes Street might have been free back then !!   No sign of painted bays or ticket machines. 

Princes Street looked so much better in the 60s and 70s compared to now.  Proper shops and department stores with a wee bit class about them.  Makes you wonder what foreign tourists must think of the place now. 🙄

Edited by Lone Striker

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

bet she didn't use her teeth lol.

I couldn’t be sure, there was lips in the way

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210719_232016.thumb.jpg.b22c7e573e3680a1c6c6089327348213.jpg

Lasted longer than most and can’t remember it being targeted despite the location..

good riddance

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210719_232016.thumb.jpg.b22c7e573e3680a1c6c6089327348213.jpg

My house for my first 11 years behind that hedge on the left. Remember Seftors giving me a lions claws with the skin on when I was about 5/6 years old

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

When did Edinburgh's street lights get changed from nice looking with ornate designs, to functional and boring?  1970s?

Edited by Sydney

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Looks like parking in Princes Street might have been free back then !!   No sign of painted bays or ticket machines. 

Princes Street looked so much better in the 60s and 70s compared to now.  Proper shops and department stores with a wee bit class about them.  Makes you wonder what foreign tourists must think of the place now. 🙄

Terrible place for shopping.

A few more stores have closed and moved to St James Quarter.