• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mars plastic
23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210707_102542.thumb.jpg.0ae209bb68912bd5566fb02e6eb87107.jpg

Where is this? I remember somebody telling me a story years ago about a dog being on the roof of a pub but thought they were at the lash.

36 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210707_000351.jpg.ca5a6d81cb5d225b3ea8fee5820ca9bf.jpg

Lad closest to the camera is clearly a tory and disgusted at the idea of Ron Brown being re-elected.

Niddrie Mains Road now a Tesco Express

Dated 1985 in this one

0_Capture1JPG.jpg

Edited by Biko

8 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Where is this? I remember somebody telling me a story years ago about a dog being on the roof of a pub but thought they were at the lash.

I thought dogs on flatroof pubs was quite a normal thing. There used to be a dog on top of the back of the Shakespeare on Lothian Road quite regularly that came out the window of one of the flats next to it. 

34 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Ferry Road Avenue I think?

You're not far off, it's the next street up, West Pilton Avenue.

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210707_000311.jpg.57619908c28d072a2e65d643c7f6364a.jpg

Broughton Road? I think that's the old Broughton High School on the right.

48 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Broughton Road? I think that's the old Broughton High School on the right.

It is indeed, I was incarcerated there from 1966-1972 spent the 1972 summer term at the new school at Fettes.

20 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

It is indeed, I was incarcerated there from 1966-1972 spent the 1972 summer term at the new school at Fettes.

👍

PortyBeach
On 06/06/2021 at 00:22, Lemongrab said:

download.png

Looks like it to me.

This is (new) Powderhall which both Leith Athletic & St Bernard’s used occasionally, although the ground was mainly used for greyhounds and speedway. The enclosure at the top-left of the photo shows part of the ground given over to kennels. This was “old” Logie Green (OLG) - also used by the aforementioned clubs. Not shown in the photo is the nearby (new) Logie Green. St. Bernard’s also played here before a final move to the Gymnasium ground (now King George V Park) and it was here that Hearts won the SFA Cup in 1896 beating Hibs 3-1. 🥳

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210707_000333.jpg

Moat flats? Looking along the old railway line to the Bainfield? Saw the earlier one MS and it looked like the old BT building?

Mars plastic
2 hours ago, Hook said:

Moat flats? Looking along the old railway line to the Bainfield? Saw the earlier one MS and it looked like the old BT building?

Exactly my thoughts too. 

6 hours ago, weehammy said:

‘Mother of ours benign,

We that are call-ed thine,

Loving we name thee,

Proudly acclaim thee,

Broughton for Ever!’

As far as I can recollect!🤔

Spot on! Clearly an ex-Broughtonian, when were you there?

40 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Exactly my thoughts too. 

The only thing that made me think twice was the building in the distance but realise now it’s the SG building at Robbs Loan/Chesser. 

The BT building in the earlier MS photo had a great grass area for playing football between the Moat/Hutchison/Chesser/Westfield lads. The BT security fekers cordoned it off after a while.

Knew a few folk that lived in the flats - the lad Cicero stayed there - a good lad and good Jambo.

Edited by Hook

18 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

This is (new) Powderhall which both Leith Athletic & St Bernard’s used occasionally, although the ground was mainly used for greyhounds and speedway. The enclosure at the top-left of the photo shows part of the ground given over to kennels. This was “old” Logie Green (OLG) - also used by the aforementioned clubs. Not shown in the photo is the nearby (new) Logie Green. St. Bernard’s also played here before a final move to the Gymnasium ground (now King George V Park) and it was here that Hearts won the SFA Cup in 1896 beating Hibs 3-1. 🥳

Maybe it's not clearly stated , but Hearts didn't win the 1896 cup final at the (now) King George V park, it was played at Logie Green , where the (now) Tesco is. 

Carl Fredrickson
19 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Do you know if the dark buildings on the left are the Rowantree Mackintosh factory? My mum worked there in the 70s but I can only remember being in my dads car outside the stadium waiting for her coming out. 

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Do you know if the dark buildings on the left are the Rowantree Mackintosh factory? My mum worked there in the 70s but I can only remember being in my dads car outside the stadium waiting for her coming out. 

Would that be Duncans?

Carl Fredrickson
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Would that be Duncans?

I think it was Duncans prior to RM taken over and expanding the site. My old man used to say Duncans chocolate was far superior to RM. 

PortyBeach
22 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Maybe it's not clearly stated , but Hearts didn't win the 1896 cup final at the (now) King George V park, it was played at Logie Green , where the (now) Tesco is. 

You’re right - I wasn’t perhaps clear! The 1896 Final was most definitely played at Saints’ New Logie Green ground. I think however, Tesco occupies the site of Heriothill goods station and sidings. The football ground stood adjacent.

PortyBeach
22 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Sorry, mate. I don’t know the answer to that one! 🤔

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

You’re right - I wasn’t perhaps clear! The 1896 Final was most definitely played at Saints’ New Logie Green ground. I think however, Tesco occupies the site of Heriothill goods station and sidings. The football ground stood adjacent.

I just thought Tesco was a more well known/simpler  reference point.

On 06/06/2021 at 00:22, Lemongrab said:

download.png

On 08/07/2021 at 14:52, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Duncan's/ Rowantree Mackintosh factory, which was previously the Regent Confectionary Works, was the three storey building at the middle of the left side.

Carl Fredrickson
36 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The Duncan's/ Rowantree Mackintosh factory, which was previously the Regent Confectionary Works, was the three storey building at the middle of the left side.

Cheers. Much appreciated 

Mars plastic
10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210709_210231.jpg

The mirror finish on the Menzies sign is iconic. I can never place it when I walk along Princes Street now.  

The Real Maroonblood
On 08/07/2021 at 15:28, Carl Fredrickson said:

I think it was Duncans prior to RM taken over and expanding the site. My old man used to say Duncans chocolate was far superior to RM. 

Mrs TRM worked there in the mid 70’s.

I must agree what your old man said about their chocolate.

18 minutes ago, Pap said:

I might have got this from here initially, i cant remember.

IMG-20200614-WA0003.jpg

Gilmerton Dykes St heading towards Lasswade Road.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Pap said:

I might have got this from here initially, i cant remember.

IMG-20200614-WA0003.jpg

Used to be a 32 Circle both ways

The 52 introduced to avoid people getting on the wrong 32 which resulted going in the wrong direction meaning a 20 minute journey could end up being 120 minutes !

On the right by the hedge was the entrance to the field to Hyvots Terrace and the Avenue. The photo 

Was taken outside the shop. I added the previous arial photo and added a red dot where the bus is.

My old area. Lived there all my life and whilst travelling through the US my folks got moved out due to the mines collapsing under the fields.

Came home to a new home. Was strange walking up through Ellen's Glen to the bottom of the field at Hyvots and seeing nothing. Everything was gone .

20210709_220307.jpg

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Mrs TRM worked there in the mid 70’s.

I must agree what your old man said about their chocolate.

My mum worked in Duncan's in the early 60s.

Her main job was was to hand pipe the chocolate whip in walnut whips.  That was in the days when there was a walnut inside as well as on top.

On 09/07/2021 at 21:04, Maroon Sailor said:

20210709_210250.jpg

Marine Gardens Portobello (now Lothian Bus depot) was Leith Athletic’s home 1928-36 before relocating to Old Meadowbank. Leith won promotion to Division 1 in 1929-30 and lasted two seasons before relegation. So the mighty Jambos and the “Old Firm” all played in Porty! 

On 05/06/2021 at 18:45, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is the curved road to the right Fettes Row?

If I’ve understood you correctly, the curving road you’re referring to is Royal Crescent. The entrance gates to the back of the grandstand can still be seen on Royal Crescent. Beyond the faraway goal in the photo is the old former Scotland Street station which originated at Canal St Station (now lying somewhere under Waverley shopping mall) and which emerged at Scotland St. from an underground tunnel between the two. This line carried on to Granton via Trinity Station and is the rail line you’ll see shown in the background of photos of the 1896 Hearts v Hibs Cup Final held nearby at New Logie Green. The Gymnasium ground is now partly park grounds and partly car park. Nearby Logan Street was one of the entrances to the ground. 

On 06/06/2021 at 17:39, Maroon Sailor said:

Now this is definitely St Bernard's home ground

20210606_173748.thumb.jpg.16e4b3cd76bbd1be0316b2890890fc33.jpg

It certainly is! This shot is looking south toward Royal Crescent and shows the grandstand which was sold to Leith Athletic in 1948 following St Bernard’s winding-up in 1942. There had been talks of a merger between the two, but these proved unfounded.

On 09/07/2021 at 22:52, Footballfirst said:

Her main job was was to hand pipe the chocolate whip in walnut whips.  That was in the days when there was a walnut inside as well as on top.

No, a walnut in the whip? Surely not? 

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

60s, 70s & 80s Kids on Twitter: "Are you a Walnut Whip lover? First  launched in 1910 by Duncan's of Edinburgh, Walnut Whip is Nestlé Rowntree's  oldest current brand.… https://t.co/ls9BgzcJDj"

Good move to put it on top !

It's the worse part of it for me so I get it out the way or just launch it.

The Real Maroonblood
On 09/07/2021 at 22:52, Footballfirst said:

That was Mrs TRM’s job in the 70’s.