Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. Like so  many photos on this thread I would love to know about the folk in them. I imagine at some point a photo will be posted with someone on here in it

Think there's been a few of Tynecastle of folks saying "that was me at 8yo with my dad behind me". Black and white late 50s/early 60s type pics.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 16/06/2021 at 20:18, Lemongrab said:

1976, Lauriston Building.

laur.jpg

Those shops on the left. If my directions are correct, they arent there now?

6 minutes ago, Pap said:

Those shops on the left. If my directions are correct, they arent there now?

I was wondering when they disappeared. There's just the wee newsagents on the corner of Keir Street now.

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just retired, as that photo was taken in 1959/1960 which makes it 61/62 years ago, that's when East & Middle Arthur Place's were demolished AFAIK.

Edit: Correction the photo was taken in 1961.

You are correct about the time.

My family and I were decanted from Brown Street in 1960.

wentworth jambo

Everyone probably already knows but I only found out a few weeks ago - Google Street View retains the historical pictures it's taken after it updates with new ones. You can access them (if available) by clicking the little clock face icon in the top left hand corner of the page image.png.2d17a1aadb74a8ff6b4d21ef3e0e0d82.png

3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Leith Police Station 1930

4547D107-23D2-4D20-98B2-255B63F2132A.jpeg

Typical sergeants on their fat arses drinking tea while the constables are out risking life and limb on behalf of the public.

Edited by Sharpie

46 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Typical sergeants on their fat arses drinking tea while the constables are out risking life and limb on behalf of the public.

That’s what drives constables for promotion. A nice cosy shift with tea and biscuits. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

That’s what drives constables for promotion. A nice cosy shift with tea and biscuits. 

So true, but I had to learn to drink coffee, and eat cookies.

23 hours ago, 151 said:

Any pictures of Hyvots in Gilmerton from 90's? I lived in Hyvots Avenue but my auntie still lives in Hyvots Grove.

I lived in Hyvots Avenue all my life from 1977 to 2001 when we were evacuated.

8 minutes ago, Pap said:

What graveyard is that? Its huge.

Not being a smart arse but it’s Edinburgh Eastern Cemetery on Easter Road. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not being a smart arse but it’s Edinburgh Eastern Cemetery on Easter Road. 

Not at all. I've honestly never seen it before. 

Its strange, apart from wee walks down Leith walk and visits to the stadium i really dont know much else of Leith or Easter Road. 

The top end of Easter Road is minging.

Appologies to anyone who lives there (not for staying there but for my description of it :smile:)

8 minutes ago, Pap said:

Not at all. I've honestly never seen it before. 

Its strange, apart from wee walks down Leith walk and visits to the stadium i really dont know much else of Leith or Easter Road. 

The top end of Easter Road is minging.

Appologies to anyone who lives there (not for staying there but for my description of it :smile:)

You don’t really see any of it from the road apart from the entrance at the end of Drum Terrace opposite Albert Street

14 hours ago, Pap said:

I lived in Hyvots Avenue all my life from 1977 to 2001 when we were evacuated.

Really? I lived there until I was 7 with my mum and her partner. I was 1/4. Would have been '88 - '95 or '96ish.

Jambo-Jimbo

1AE95224-5581-4010-AA87-0AECD3CF5774.jpeg

F0D5B63B-EBBF-4505-A65C-FD3E0764861A.jpeg

And below is the same part of East Arthur Place a year or so before.

image.thumb.jpeg.376cbd864b1ea656bc96e1ac0ad03de8.jpeg

Just to the right of the A of the sign on the top of the lorry cab is the Brooke Bond Tea sign, then above the JuSoda sign is the two white  window frames, then another white window frame down a bit then the arched window and the street light, then the two chimneys at the top.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

3 hours ago, 151 said:

Really? I lived there until I was 7 with my mum and her partner. I was 1/4. Would have been '88 - '95 or '96ish.

You had the 3 big flats facing the field. Top one was Hyvots Terrace, the bottom 2 were the Avenue. I was in the middle one of the 3.

On 25/06/2021 at 20:19, 151 said:

Any pictures of Hyvots in Gilmerton from 90's? I lived in Hyvots Avenue but my auntie still lives in Hyvots Grove.

1 hour ago, Pap said:

You had the 3 big flats facing the field. Top one was Hyvots Terrace, the bottom 2 were the Avenue. I was in the middle one of the 3.

gil.jpg

Edited by Lemongrab

This is me stood outside our block, as in my mum would have been stood outside ours taking the picture if my memory serves me right.

The house in the distance across the field with the three big conifer looking hedges which leads to a hedged archway is still my aunties house and still looks the same.

The field is obviously now a big estate.

Screenshot_20210627-151426_Facebook.jpg

2 hours ago, Pap said:

I remember those big flats a couple of my pals lived there but I always found them quite daunting when I was wee.

I stayed in Hyvot terrace from mid seventies until 1981,was at Gilmerton primary for the first 3 years.

22 hours ago, 151 said:

This is me stood outside our block, as in my mum would have been stood outside ours taking the picture if my memory serves me right.

The house in the distance across the field with the three big conifer looking hedges which leads to a hedged archway is still my aunties house and still looks the same.

The field is obviously now a big estate.

Screenshot_20210627-151426_Facebook.jpg

Yeh. I know exactly where you are. 1 min from me. Walked past every day on the way to school.

I knew a few people who lived in that street with the conifers.

I'll look out some photos when i go to my mums. 

Great pic. Always like seeing the old area 👍

Edited by Pap

23 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

gil.jpg

Theres no Iceland yet. Its just grassy wasteland.

It used to be a big bakery factory which burnt down, i think. 

Edited by Pap

1 hour ago, Pap said:

Can you remember Mary Ann's newsagent across the road? Some wag removed the M from the sign.

1 hour ago, westbow said:

Can you remember Mary Ann's newsagent across the road? Some wag removed the M from the sign.

Yeh. They used to have toys hanging from the ceiling. Also, where Ladbrokes is, there used to be a wall and behind it there was decrepit old house. 

Supperbowl, if its still called that was called Tony's chippie. The entrance was on the shop side and it had seating through the back.

20 hours ago, Pap said:

Here's one from 1958 showing what must be that factory, and prefabs where the flats were.gil2.jpg

Edited by Lemongrab
adding the photo might help

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Here's one from 1958 showing what must be that factory, and prefabs where the flats were.gil2.jpg

Thats a great photo. You can see at the bottom in the middle right of the road the shop opposite the field that you'd walk down to get to my flat. The old library to the right of the shop hasnt been built yet. I loved that library. Old and creaky building.