• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

38CCDCC9-CC9F-442F-9436-4EDB741DE064.jpeg

Lived in number 12 ground floor rear flat (the middle stair of the picture) during the late fifties and very early sixties. Surprised these three remaining stairs were not demolished before 1977.

1 hour ago, Wonfiveone said:

Lived in number 12 ground floor rear flat (the middle stair of the picture) during the late fifties and very early sixties. Surprised these three remaining stairs were not demolished before 1977.

Is that the Stanley Place that was at the back of lower London Road near the railway line? If so, my late mother's family lived there in the 1930's/ 40's before being re-housed in Piershill.

Edited by argyjambo
Punctuation

11 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Causewayside 1929

091CFAED-6883-474E-A262-9FA509FD6306.jpeg

Strangely enough my late dad was born in 1929 and lived at 22 Causewayside until his marriage to my mum in 1953.

51 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Is that the Stanley Place that was at the back of lower London Road near the railway line? If so, my late mother's family lived there in the 1930's/ 40's before being re-housed in Piershill.

54 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Yes, next to Jane Terrace, Sunnybank, Taylor Place, Hendry’s juice factory, Radin’s yard and the pram factory.

54 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Yes, next to Jane Terrace, Sunnybank, Taylor Place, Hendry’s juice factory, Radin’s yard and the pram factory.

I was in the 153 Waverley Cubs at London Road church with the Radin boys in the early 1960's. Also I must confess that, along with others who shall remain nameless, we regularly climbed into Hendry's juice factory & " liberated" some of the stock from incarceration.

I'm also pretty sure that an old bowling comrade of mine, now sadly deceased, namely Jimmy Aitken, owned and ran Aitkens meat products who were based in Stanley Place.

SectionDJambo
11 hours ago, argyjambo said:

I was in the 153 Waverley Cubs at London Road church with the Radin boys in the early 1960's. Also I must confess that, along with others who shall remain nameless, we regularly climbed into Hendry's juice factory & " liberated" some of the stock from incarceration.

I'm also pretty sure that an old bowling comrade of mine, now sadly deceased, namely Jimmy Aitken, owned and ran Aitkens meat products who were based in Stanley Place.

Hendry's juice. A trip down memory lane with that one.

My dad had an ice cream van supply business and the Hendry's lorry came in to him about twice a week. Real heavy work those guys had with the old wooden crates of full glass bottles to take down off the wagon, and then the empties thrown back up. 

Wonfiveone
17 hours ago, argyjambo said:

Not that I ever indulged in these pastimes, I remember raids on Radins as well as Hendrys.

been here before
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Must have been a screening at the Cameo at the film festival. 

Screening of White Hunter Black Heart in 1990.

Maroon Sailor
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210701_191549.jpg.275e6d379ffefe352606eae4897ec12d.jpg

Looking at this again that just seems like a free for all for traffic at the corner of Ryries unless that's a traffic copper in the white but even he seems to have his hand in his pocket

3 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Mayfield Rd looking towards Ratcliffe Terrace?

I can't believe I didn't get that right away, as I worked in the Mayfield branch of Bank of Scotland for a spell in the mid '70's. It was on the corner beside that white car.

1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

Anyone mind the Exclusive Bedrooms place which is now Edward Labiajoh car sales? 

Labinjoh  (the father) had a car showroom just along the road from the Diggers.

Shanks said no
32 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Labinjoh  (the father) had a car showroom just along the road from the Diggers.

Did / does a person not have a car sales place by that name by the Murrayfield Sports bar? 

edit, yes https://www.labinjoh.co.uk/carsales.asp?status=1&group by=group by

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Impressive he managed climb the ladder as he clearly has huge plums.

Incredible some of these old pictures. The thing that always gets me is the fact the guys are up bridges, ladders, high buildings in their bunnets and tweedy suits. No harness or scaffold just tuck your trousers into your socks and up you go. Just crazy. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Incredible some of these old pictures. The thing that always gets me is the fact the guys are up bridges, ladders, high buildings in their bunnets and tweedy suits. No harness or scaffold just tuck your trousers into your socks and up you go. Just crazy. 

Wasn't that long ago that things like harnesses came into being. When I toured with bands in the late 80's/early 90's we would be working on the lighting trusses with no protection. Empty your pockets and tuck the laces in the your shoes in case they got caught. Somewhere like the Playhouse or Hammersmith the truss over the stalls is massively high when I look at it now if I go to see anything. It's a miracle more of us weren't killed. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Wasn't that long ago that things like harnesses came into being. When I toured with bands in the late 80's/early 90's we would be working on the lighting trusses with no protection. Empty your pockets and tuck the laces in the your shoes in case they got caught. Somewhere like the Playhouse or Hammersmith the truss over the stalls is massively high when I look at it now if I go to see anything. It's a miracle more of us weren't killed. 

Crazy. I can’t do heights at all. Fell off a roof when I was young and can barely muster the courage to get up a ladder these days.

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Crazy. I can’t do heights at all. Fell off a roof when I was young and can barely muster the courage to get up a ladder these days.

You definitely wouldn't like the wire rope ladders used to get onto the trusses then 😀

Just now, Tazio said:

You definitely wouldn't like the wire rope ladders used to get onto the trusses then 😀

No chance, wobbly things up high are definitely out😀

One day we got a call to a house in a tenement behind Holyrood Road, I was n't bad with height so as the the need arose to go up the height of one flat I was on it. I got up to the chimney stacks and away down below was Holyrood Road, the way the building had been constructed on a slope the heights back and front were different. Jackie Paterson a former roofer came up and helped me down, I don't thing I have been up higher than ten feet since without being in an enclosed safe space.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

One day we got a call to a house in a tenement behind Holyrood Road, I was n't bad with height so as the the need arose to go up the height of one flat I was on it. I got up to the chimney stacks and away down below was Holyrood Road, the way the building had been constructed on a slope the heights back and front were different. Jackie Paterson a former roofer came up and helped me down, I don't thing I have been up higher than ten feet since without being in an enclosed safe space.

It can be very daunting after you’ve had that fear. Something, given both our experiences, that lives with you for a lifetime. 

Maroon Sailor

As a young lad I was always working at height. Never found it a problem, but now I wouldn't feel so confident.

It actually takes longer to get the paperwork sorted out now than what it takes to a complete a job. Spend an hour writing out the form and looking / waiting for the person who can sign it then spend 2 minutes actually doing the task !

PortyBeach
On 06/06/2021 at 00:22, Lemongrab said:

download.png

Looks like it to me.

This is Powderhall in the foreground. Both St Bernard’s and Leith Athletic had brief spells there but this stadium was always mainly used for greyhounds and speedway. The adjacent enclosure in the top-left - also used by both these clubs - was Old Logie Green (OLG) The photo shows this now abandoned ground partly given over to greyhound kennels. Not in the picture but not far from OLG was St Bernard’s “New Logie Green” where Hearts beat Hibs 3-1 in the 1896 SFA Cup Final. The present day Logie Green Road runs up the middle of the old pitch.