Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never understood the fare stage. Used to have them on the tickets when there were no conductors and on the bus stops but meant nothing to me. The inspector knew what he was looking at when he came on and could work out if you paid the right money.

You're fare was calculated on how many fare stages you travelled.

15 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Every few stops were orange and had a bit saying "Fair Stage" on it rather than the normal red ones.

Canonmills, Edinburgh, 1974 | Edinburgh Corporation ...th

think they then got lazy and just put the orange bit in the number section.

Edinburgh Corporation Transport request bus stop flag, c19 ...

Edited by Biko

Radio Ga Ga
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's Belfast, mate.

🤬it was on the Edinburgh archives website, I need to pay more attention!!

Maroon Sailor
27 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Yeah but how many stops made a stage ? These stages were not sequential either

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah but how many stops made a stage ? These stages were not sequential either

It varied, on average around every 3 or 4 stops.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, larbertjambo said:

What an amazing photo! Never seen this before. Any idea what year? Brought up in Watson crescent so everthing here very familiar. Think I can make out the library which was built 1940. It all hadn't changed much when I was a bairn in early 60s. 

I’m trying and failing badly to pinpoint Watson Cr . Could you help me out as I’m trying to find Ritchie Pl where my old man and his family grew up 👍🏻

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m trying and failing badly to pinpoint Watson Cr . Could you help me out as I’m trying to find Ritchie Pl where my old man and his family grew up 👍🏻

Top right hand corner

8AC71E53-82F5-4B9D-AF94-5D7A760E8D18.thumb.jpeg.240c0366816ec709a7d9c99e732ec8b8.thumb.jpeg.48c5f700792a40a5300384de5235d413.jpeg

3fingersreid
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Top right hand corner

8AC71E53-82F5-4B9D-AF94-5D7A760E8D18.thumb.jpeg.240c0366816ec709a7d9c99e732ec8b8.thumb.jpeg.48c5f700792a40a5300384de5235d413.jpeg

Cheers , only on the phone at the minute so I’ll have a look on the I pad tomorrow 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Edinburgh bus conductor's ticket machine. Never really understood how they worked out a ticket. A click here, a click there and wind the handle !

20210614_203145.jpg.cdff653fa07d29fc841becb3e6f3585b.jpg

I used to have one of those that I liberated from LRT when I worked there. Absolutely beautiful piece of machinery, sadly in the boot of my car when it was stolen never to be seen again. 

larbertjambo
9 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can only see the start of Watson crescent at top of yeamen pl. Ritchie pl isn't in this photo.

3fingersreid
36 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Can only see the start of Watson crescent at top of yeamen pl. Ritchie pl isn't in this photo.

Thanks , saves me going daft trying to find it

45 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Thanks , saves me going daft trying to find it

Here's one from another direction. Ritchie Place runs up behind the buildings with the yellow dots.

ritchie3.jpg

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Here's one from another direction. Ritchie Place runs up behind the buildings with the yellow dots.

ritchie3.jpg

The gardens of most of those big mansions in the foreground now have blocks of apartments on them too.

3fingersreid
56 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

ritchie3.jpg

Cheers , can place it clearly there 👍🏻 North Merchy boys club and their pitches clearly visible too , the pathway through the pitch is still there 😃

Edited by 3fingersreid

37 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Cheers , can place it clearly there 👍🏻 North Merchy boys club and their pitches clearly visible too , the pathway through the pitch is still there 😃

That path must be a right-of-way now. I wonder if anyone's exercised that right when a match was being played? :D 

The corner that's fenced of used to be curling rinks. I'd imagine that in the winter they'd somehow be flooded with water from the canal.

3fingersreid
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That path must be a right-of-way now. I wonder if anyone's exercised that right when a match was being played? :D 

The corner that's fenced of used to be curling rinks. I'd imagine that in the winter they'd somehow be flooded with water from the canal.

There was always a story that a woman walked through a game that was being played whilst pushing her baby in a pram  

Fxxx the SPFL
16 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

South Clerk Street

DB161208-F525-4DC6-81DA-FD0BB1E59D40.jpeg

Is that a certain @sharpie on the left on his daily beat probably crossed over and into The Grapes for an early morning snifter.

17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

South Clerk Street

DB161208-F525-4DC6-81DA-FD0BB1E59D40.jpeg

The fancy building there, which was at one time the Salisbury Picture House, was only demolished in 1992.  I can't remember it at all.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

If that is the pitch next to a dairy then I can confirm it happened circa 82/83. I played for Easthouses and an old wifie walked through our game v North Merchy. Apologies if it is a different pitch

18 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The fancy building there, which was at one time the Salisbury Picture House, was only demolished in 1992.  I can't remember it at all.

Used to go to the Salisbury every Saturday afternoon I was taken by my sister. Had my first ever fist fight after a Buck Jones serial. Went back to South Ocky, and another four year old Ronald like I wanted to be Buck Jones in our game of cowboys and indians, so we duked it out, left each other mad and no game so neither of us got to be Buck.  I don't think that was me on my beat in the picture, but did spend many hours on that particular beat. The Salisbury closed as a cinema just after the war, C&J Browns took it over as a warehouse. 

larbertjambo
3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

ritchie3.jpg

Another great photo. Spent hours playing football in that park. I knew a few guys who played for merchie and they had to stop games to let someone walk through. The top corner of the park had pretty decent bowling greens too. 

The auld dumfreshire dairy along bottom of park. Can almost see my mums wee house in photo too. 

18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Edinburgh Lodging House

53B59BAD-7820-47C3-B9A8-98052DB1F3B1.jpeg

I like the sign: Swearing, quarreling and loud talk strictly prohibited. Perfect for hanging in some of the threads in the Terrace

Dirty Deeds
11 minutes ago, Mister T said:

I like the sign: Swearing, quarreling and loud talk strictly prohibited. Perfect for hanging in some of the threads in the Terrace

My great granny's aunt ran one which was on Constitution Street.  We're talking circa 1920 here.  

My granny was born 1917 and would talk of 'tuppenny hang'.  She said it was full of drunks who couldn't make it home.

I can't find anything Edinburgh/Leith related online but there's a great photo down the page here https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Two-Penny-Hangover/

That photo looks posh compared to how it was described to me.

On 14/06/2021 at 21:06, Governor Tarkin said:

All of it. 👍

Screenshot_20210614-210538_Maps.jpg

I found some info last night and enjoyed the read. 

“According to Baird, the Tower was built as a summerhouse for the lawyer, John Cunningham. By 1864 it was much neglected and was then bought by Mr Paton who restored it and built the adjacent house. It is now also incorporated in an amusement arcade, to the NE.

Mr Cunningham, according to OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (p146) was one of the first feuars of land in Portobello from Mr Jamieson. The ground was situated to the west "whereon he erected, in the first years of the present century (i.e. 19th century), the eccentric and incongruous edifice named the Tower, the window-lintels and cornices of which were formed of the carving stones found in the houses that were pulled down to make way for the South Bridge, from the cathedral of St Andrews. For many years it remained an unfinished and open ruin."

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, SecN said:

I found some info last night and enjoyed the read. 

“According to Baird, the Tower was built as a summerhouse for the lawyer, John Cunningham. By 1864 it was much neglected and was then bought by Mr Paton who restored it and built the adjacent house. It is now also incorporated in an amusement arcade, to the NE.

Mr Cunningham, according to OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (p146) was one of the first feuars of land in Portobello from Mr Jamieson. The ground was situated to the west "whereon he erected, in the first years of the present century (i.e. 19th century), the eccentric and incongruous edifice named the Tower, the window-lintels and cornices of which were formed of the carving stones found in the houses that were pulled down to make way for the South Bridge, from the cathedral of St Andrews. For many years it remained an unfinished and open ruin."

Well I enjoyed that too, thank you. :)

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

3EF59628-A5F3-48DB-BCA8-7F929D235F28.jpeg

A4328DE5-BF3D-4996-B752-900749B6CC3C.jpeg

I love these photos. They boys look like they are having a lot of fun. Would love to know whatever happened to them

J.T.F.Robertson
12 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I love these photos. They boys look like they are having a lot of fun. Would love to know whatever happened to them

Be retired now, or ........ 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Just retired, as that photo was taken in 1959/1960 which makes it 61/62 years ago, that's when East & Middle Arthur Place's were demolished AFAIK.

Edit: Correction the photo was taken in 1961.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just retired, as that photo was taken in 1959/1960 which makes it 61/62 years ago, that's when East & Middle Arthur Place's were demolished AFAIK.

Edit: Correction the photo was taken in 1961.

Cheers. Like so  many photos on this thread I would love to know about the folk in them. I imagine at some point a photo will be posted with someone on here in it