Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Sell Lafferty and all the good business in this window is undone. Would be a terrible decision to punt our best known player, our talisman and someone who has worked very hard for the squad this season.

Just show a bit of ambition to keep our best players FFS. Otherwise its open season again on the squad. Offers for Berra, our youngsters and anyone else who catches the eye are sure to follow as Hearts are easy to deal with.

We will never be anything other than a club kicking about 3/4th place in the league if we sell our best players.

FFIW i don't believe any of the rumours re Kyle on here.

If you think we'd be as willing to lose say Berra, Souttar or Cochrane than the club would be to trade Lafferty, then you've lost the plot. If this rumour is true this isn't 100% about getting money in.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Like it or not that comment is true.

No it's not.  In comparison to Isma, he won his fair share, just nobody running beyond to pick them up.

I recall him coming on for Stockton (who you couldn't slip a beer mat under) and his first touch was winning a header straight from the game restarting.  I remember thinking, he's won more headers in 5 seconds than Stockton has all game and that generally sums up his aerial ability in comparison to Isma and Stockton.

On a similar note, wee Naismith wins a ridiculous amount for a man of his height

DOnt get the love in with player so like a Sow when things like this pop up. 

Surely we can be more imaginative and have more options to consider. 

It should have been ten
5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Bang on mate

It frustrates the life out of me that folk treat players (human being) like a number on a sheet. He is still a human being,  someone that clearly enjoys playing for us, that is having a picture painted about him without anyone really knowing anything.

We can insinuate and look into every detail of tweet, celebration etc...until the cows come home...but at the end of the day he is OUR player, who wants to play for us, loves playing for us and appreciates us.

I for one, hope he stays, I really feel he is going to kick on this season. Already bagged 11 goals, can see him hitting 20 easy.

Also, losing 3 strikers one window is quite scary considering there are 5 days left!

This 

RustyRightPeg

Even if we do get offered decent money for him I reckon we're gonna be a bit late to be able to spend it no? By the time the deal goes through (big if) there will likely be 1 or 2 days left of the window which might leave us short?

Let’s be honest, Goncalves, Lafferty, Stockton are a strikeforce with potential that have not lived up to expectations. 

Whilst it might not be a great idea to move them all on and replace them with unknown quantities, if we are getting money for them all and looking to replace them we probably won’t be too much worse off. 

Id prefer to keep someone - but if the money is ok and we can get someone else in to replace them, I won’t be too upset. 

I'd like him to stay. Take out any rumors about off field stuff and he is definitely an asset to the club. If, however, he is causing unrest he should probably go. With 18 months left on his contract I'd expect at least £1 million from a championship club.

11 minutes ago, Pagey said:

And, no swap deal with Rodwell!!!!!

Id Take £1M plus rodwell on loan for 6 months (no salary contribution) then use the cash to try and get Chris Martin in

I'd prefer that we retain both Lafferty and Isma, as continuity and consistency are key elements to successful team building. Furthermore I feel that as a fanbase we were just really starting to bond with this team, which is quite rare in the modern era.

The Orange Juice tactic of 'Rip it up and Start again' has not served us well in previous transfer windows and I can't see it serving us well in this either.

I really would like to know if this is about the offer or about problems with the player

If the latter - what is going on that we are struggling to fix? Has he been badly behaved, has it been over a long time, has he got an attitude problem, is he gambling (I know we won't be told so and thats fine) - but are we looking at a situation where he's totally gone off the rails and we are fed up - or has he deviated from a line he's trying his best to keep to, and should Craig and Ann persevere with trying to manage him?

Was told at last nights Tyncastle  Burns Supper that Lafferty MAY be away, didn't ask who to or why but I suspect its a Sow type deal that is too good to turn down.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Dr. Bapswent said:

Let’s be honest, Goncalves, Lafferty, Stockton are a strikeforce with potential that have not lived up to expectations. 

Whilst it might not be a great idea to move them all on and replace them with unknown quantities, if we are getting money for them all and looking to replace them we probably won’t be too much worse off. 

Id prefer to keep someone - but if the money is ok and we can get someone else in to replace them, I won’t be too upset. 

Disagree.

Lafferty and Isma  have scored their fair share, the first 8-10 games in particular we created very little. tbh.

With a couple of wingers and Naismith in, it would be good all round.

Agree, reference money, anything around £1m we should be accepting and one big final pay day for Lafferty as well, winner, winner chicken dinner all round.

24 Years I think since a Hearts Striker hit 20! I doubt he will make it but had he not got suspended he was well on his way! 

He will be a loss no doubt, however if the figure is upwards of 1m we just have to take it! 

He hasn’t actually scored that many league goals(7) and a few against lower league clubs in cup. Both goals against old form were exceptional nevertheless and he has been the match winner on at least one occasion? He will be a loss no doubt but I’d be very chuffed if the club got 1 million for him. 

On a seperate non football matter I think his social media nonsense is pretty poor and his association/love in with Rangers bugs me a bit. 

Dagger Is Back

I've no idea what is going on behind the scenes with KL either personally or professionally. People are always going to speculate and comment so there's no point getting all wound up about it.

From the stand I see a player though who, like many others, has strengths and weaknesses

He's a hard worker and a pest. He never gives defenders any peace

He could hit 20 goals this season which would make him our best goalscorer in how long? 

He brings a buzz to the stands. His signing gave us all a huge lift

On the other hand he's not as polished a finisher as I'd like to see

He has a short fuse and there's no doubt he's made some rash decisions and the refs won't readily give him the benefit of the doubt shall we say

Are there better strikers out there? Absolutely. Can we pick them up during this window with the funds we have available? Who knows? Strap yourselves in, the next few days are going to be rather interesting

Lafferty must stay he gives the team so much and his performance against Celtic speaks for itself. If we are willing to lose him we would have to have one hell of a striker ready to come in. We are trying to build something and he is a key part of that. If he leaves and then Naismith leaves at the end of the season we will be going backwards.

8 minutes ago, CAR said:

Id Take £1M plus rodwell on loan for 6 months (no salary contribution) then use the cash to try and get Chris Martin in

Sunderland are also in talks to get Chris Martin :lol: 

I thin lafferty has done well considering how poor the midfield has been and how bad the service has been.

Would be very happy if the door slams shut and he stays to strike up a partnership with Naismith.  IF he goes and there is good money then happy days but like others have said does not leave much time to replace him and he would definitely need replaced.

Dagger Is Back

BTW, I think we'd jump at £1M but looking at Sunderlands plight and the money being thrown around at all levels down south,  it's just pocket change for these guys

Had a snoop around internet, nothing much about Laff in the Sunderland press, all focus is on signing LuaLua and waiting on hearing back from Chris Martin. Sunderland forums not much thrilled with prospect of him. 

Lafferty could be our first 20 goals a season striker since .............. Robbo?

And folks are ambivalent about him going or staying

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

Oh, and Championship strikers in England are somewhat north of £6 million, with a relatively prolific one being upwards of £8 million

We don't need to sell.

It'll be the players call if he wants away. Hopefully he stays.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Jarman said:

Sunderland are also in talks to get Chris Martin :lol: 

well thats a bummer :sad: I do however think levin has a plan :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

We don't need to sell.

It'll be the players call if he wants away. Hopefully he stays.

If Sunderland or anyone else offer £1m he will be away.

Do folk know that Sunderland are skint?

I wouldn't be confident they even have £1m to spend - they are heading for a Leeds situation probably!

:D

i wish jj was my dad

He has done well but if we can get anything like £1m we should take it. I am sure CL would pick up a decent replacement and it might just give us the finance to keep Naismith who is a far superior player IMO.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Nope

Oh well, we all have our views. I would bite their hand off for it myself and move swiftly on

Jambof3tornado

If lafferty going is to fund a longer deal for naismith I'd grudgingly take £1m.

But we'd need a replacement of quality in bloody fast.

Will be disappointed to lose Lafferty if he goes, but if there is a chance to sell a player for good money, we should take it. Talk of £1m is underestimating his market value in my opinion, particularly with it being a proposed move to England. With the qualities he's got, and the 18 months on his contract, I'd say £1.5m - £2m.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Oh well, we all have our views. I would bite their hand off for it myself and move swiftly on

Not looking for a JKB scrap here. Just think an international player with 18months on his contract would be worth upwards of £1m + to an English team who throw money around like sweeties. £500k is far too light in this instance. 

I hope he stays. 

IMO. 

9 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

This 

9 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Where have you been hiding?

Funny, I was thinking the same on Tuesday night, I was praying he got to the match on time with plenty notice it was actually going ahead ... #prayforJIH

Geoff Kilpatrick

Levein is quickly turning into the Scottish version of :arry: with all these January deals!

I hope Laff stays.

I’m sure the price a club is prepared to pay won’t be helped by any rumours of him being unprofessional no matter how much we want inside info.

I’d leave that chat alone personally and stop digging for the good of the club.

Thought Police

The celebration against Celtic only became an issue because a section of our support wanted to interpret it that way. None of my Celtic supporting friends noticed a thing.

This thread is very heavy on supposition and innuendo, and very light on facts. Based on this, unless something more concrete comes to light, Lafferty will have my full support and I very much hope he starts tomorrow.

I like Lafferty but if we can squeeze a million or more out of Sunderland, that's a good bit of business. 

I'd be really disappointed if we sold Lafferty.

£1m is a lot of cash at this level but it's not as if we're skint and the guy wants to stay.

Tell Sunderland it's £2.5m or GTF.

The Old Tolbooth
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

In fairness to Neilson I always had the impression that he was extremely hard working and diligent as our head coach.  He had a DoF however so didn't have to spend hours talking to agents etc.

Levein is doing all of that although I expect he delegates a lot of the day to day training and coaching.

Long winded way of saying that I think he must be working extremely long hours to get things right on the park.

A PHM of the highest order.

Assuming there's something to the Lafferty story, and Isma and others and bringing in the new guy, it must be extremely time consuming.

I can back that up, I often see Levein in the local bookies, and I haven't seen him for donkeys now (since he became manager), which means he has bigger fish to fry. ;) 

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, alanthejambo said:

This thread is very heavy on supposition and innuendo, and very light on facts. Based on this, unless something more concrete comes to light, Lafferty will have my full support and I very much hope he starts tomorrow.

Is he not still suspended? 

38 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Lafferty could be our first 20 goals a season striker since .............. Robbo?

And folks are ambivalent about him going or staying

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

He’s scored 3 in the LC against diddy teams and 7 in 21 games in the league. 

We have 15 games left in the league. If he keeps current his current ratio up he will get 12 in the league, giving him 15 plus whatever he gets in the SC.

The only way he gets 20+ is if he massively increases his goal tally from open play (not impossible if he strikes up a partnership with Naismith) or gets given a load of penalties to take. 

The idea that he is some sort of free scoring talisman is not backed up by the stats. Kris Doolan has more goals for PT this time last season. 

He also has 0 assists which is pretty poor for someone who has played up front in 21 games.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 minute ago, johnmitchell said:

Yup, and that IS a fact. :)

1 minute ago, johnmitchell said:

2 game ban & he missed Hibs and Hamilton so he should be available.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not looking for a JKB scrap here. Just think an international player with 18months on his contract would be worth upwards of £1m + to an English team who throw money around like sweeties. £500k is far too light in this instance. 

I hope he stays. 

IMO. 

Nor me. Respect your view. I think he is on the wane and 500k is not to be sniffed at. 

13 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If lafferty going is to fund a longer deal for naismith I'd grudgingly take £1m.

But we'd need a replacement of quality in bloody fast.

Think that's the plan.

maroonnicky63
Just now, Hendricks said:

I think that people need to potentially realize that despite some significant moves Lafferty may well need to take advantage of anything that may put some coin back in his coffers. Putting aside what would appear to be a genuine affection for his short time at Hearts, my suspicion is that his financial reality might not be great given his off the field issues and another move to England may assist greatly in that respect. It may be a case of needs must and whilst from a footballing perspective he may prefer to play at Hearts for the next couple of years these persistent rumours ain't going away. If Hearts are recompensed properly I can see him going.

This is spot on but lets hope it is not the case. Some on here really need a reality check it really is all about money unless like Berra you have made your money and just want back to where you feel really comfortable and wanted.

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, BigC said:

2 game ban & he missed Hibs and Hamilton so he should be available.

I thought it was a 3 game ban as he went above the points threshold as well, could be wrong though. 

John Gentleman
2 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I can back that up, I often see Levein in the local bookies, and I haven't seen him for donkeys now (since he became manager), which means he has bigger fish to fry. ;) 

Or perhaps he's setting an example to the younger players?

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Nor me. Respect your view. I think he is on the wane and 500k is not to be sniffed at. 

Even although I’m a bit critical, I tend to think £500k is low.

I would only accept £700k+ if we have a replacement lined up and £1m if we don’t. 

We we should be trying to squeeze them for more if we can though.

Archived