Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

Dave McCreery's knee

I like Lafferty in our team and the prospect of him and Naismith is genuinely exciting. No idea if any of the off field rumours are true but I thought he really let his team mates down with the tackle in Aberdeen. 

The club are in a pretty good position here though. If he stays, we’ve got a good player in an improving team. If he goes, we get good cash 6 months after he signed. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Lafferty may be a good player, but his "colourful" past is probably not the best example to show young players, especially alongside the like of Berra, Cowie, Hughes etc.

If this Sunderland story has got any truth in it why are people so happy to accept sums of between £500k- £1m ?

We're talking about a proven international goalscorer with EPL experience who has 18 months on his contract.

Sunderland may be a basket case but they were until recently an EPL club with all the cash that comes with that status, therefore I'd be disappointed in anything less than £2 - £2.5m

Where are we going to find a replacement with a similar CV for anything like the sort of money we could afford ?

Absolutely correct ish . If Sunderland were looking at KL whilst he was playing in England they would expect to pay at least £5 million .

4 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Kyle Lafferty must be the first player to be condemned because of what supporters sing about him. Dearie me.

I did not condemn him in the slightest.

I condemned the supporters singing the songs.

4 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Kyle Lafferty must be the first player to be condemned because of what supporters sing about him. Dearie me.

Sadly your point is undermined by his goal celebration v Celtic.

Sectarian behaviour seems to be back in fashion at Hearts this season and a lot of it stems to back to the singing of the flute song which seemed to immediately embolden the bigots in our support.

8 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Why does Sow keep coming up? He’s hardly been banging them in for MK dons and I think we could find better.

100% this, he has not set the heather on ? since he left Hearts anywhere, no time to be sentimental.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

If people are going to insinuate stuff about Lafferty and supposed bad behaviour have the guts to back it up with detail or keep it shut.

It's not fair on the guy to have people thinking/assuming stuff about him due to cryptic ITK posts for attention.

Put up, or shut up. This is a current player we are talking about and a human being not some transfer rumour where nod nod wink wink is less harmful.

I have to agree with this.

It helps nobody. 

17 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

He runs around more than isma but his contribution going forward has been pretty similar. Just as like to miss hit than score , just as likely to kick it out the park than to find a hearts shirt. 

Old fashioned view of things.  Defending can start with your striker... his effort to close down defenders was a big factor in our win over Celtic. ISMA rarely does this. KL’s contribution to the team goes beyond goals scored. He is far more valuable to the team than ISMA.

I like Lafferty and when he is on his day he can be a handful for any team BUT I also see him somewhat as a liability. His attacking contribution has been somewhat underwhelming, imo. His discipline on the park is to be questioned, he is quite short tempered and I've heard he can be quite difficult in training if he doesn't agree with something, this along with his recent twitter spats it doesn't really set the kind of example that our management team are clearly striving for. I would happily keep a hold of him but if there's decent money on the table then I won't been overly upset about his departure if we can bring someone else in.

3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Sectarian behaviour seems to be back in fashion at Hearts this season and a lot of it stems to back to the singing of the flute song which seemed to immediately embolden the bigots in our support.

Nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If people are going to insinuate stuff about Lafferty and supposed bad behaviour have the guts to back it up with detail or keep it shut.

It's not fair on the guy to have people thinking/assuming stuff about him due to cryptic ITK posts for attention.

Put up, or shut up. This is a current player we are talking about and a human being not some transfer rumour where nod nod wink wink is less harmful.

Good one Taffin. :clap:

Would like to keep him but really depends on if we can afford to turn this down if there is an offer believe his wage can rise to over £6k some weeks depending on bonuses

queensferryjambo

I like Lafferty but he hasn't exactly been amazing this season he has just been OK IMO. He might improve with Naismith but if Sunderland come in with any kind of a decent offer we should take it. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Nonsense.

Disagree. There does appear to be too much of it around this season. Its not my or 99% of Hearts supporters bag

32 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

I'd love to see him stay but if we get any sort of 7 figure sum for him it'll have to go down as an incredible piece of business.

We'd be netting over £2m over this window if he goes for a £1m+. Thats a huge sum of money for us.

If Hearts want to sell him,it would have to be £1m+,would be hard to replace him for anything less.

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Unfortunately that would half several members post count and the loss of several erections likely leading to future erectile dysfunction issues. 

On  subject I hope he stays. 

He's a player we got for free 6 months ago and has shown fairly average form. In all honesty I could see us getting 500-750k, can't see it being any higher

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Indeed. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Unfortunately that would half several members post count and the loss of several erections likely leading to future erectile dysfunction issues. 

On  subject I hope he stays. 

In relation to transfer rumours and the like I don't see it as an issue and enjoy the suspense but when folk are muck slinging to call questions of someone's character and to not say why isn't fair imo.

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

The thing is that if Sunderland come in for him the chances are that he would slap in a transfer request. For the very simple reason that Sunderland as a recent EPL side will pay nice big fat wages. 

I saw an article about Sunderland trying to offload Rodwell who is on £70k per week. His contract is such that it did not drop when they were relegated. It said that the usual drop would be 40% which would mean had he taken the drop he would still be on £42k per week.

Even if they were oaying Lafferty half that figure it would still be a hell of a lot more than  he will be getting from us. So I would agree with you.

The stumbling block might be his wife who's family live in East Kilbride and that was one of the reasons why he came back to Scotland so she could be nearer them.

Dave McCreery's knee
3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Nonsense.

I despise sectarianism but did not read anything into his celebration against celtic either, nor did I see it reported or mentioned at the time? I agree its nonsense - the celtic fans weren’t even that wound up by it. 

Fall out or no fall out,  good role model or not, any other wild guesswork or not... if we get an offer and the player is interested then we should facilitate the move.    There is no way in heaven or hell we'll be turning down £1m if it's offered.     He will be moving.

Difficult one this on a thread where there has been little more than some hints about what might potentially be going on in the background.  From what I can gather, the 'problem' is with Lafferty's professionalism/attitude.  His social media activity stands out in comparison to how other members of the team use it, but that's possibly just the guy's personality - and he is a personality (love it or loathe it).  But the interesting observation for me (and I may be doing 2+2=5) is that there has been a fair bit of media coverage in recent weeks where the youngsters have talked about how much they admire certain senior players, and how they are learning from how those players conduct themselves - I have seen the names Berra, Hughes and Cowie mentioned regularly.  Not once have I seen Lafferty.  Again, that doesn't make Lafferty a bad egg.  But is the issue here that we do not see him as providing the sort of influence that we want to provide for a team that is committed to brining through youngsters from the academy?

Lafferty's decent, but he's not good enough to counter being a bellend off the park and/or at training... ...if that is what's happening.

2 minutes ago, ford donald said:

If Hearts want to sell him,it would have to be £1m+,would be hard to replace him for anything less.

Don't get me wrong, I like him but £1m immediately reinvested into our squad would either represent our record deal or two players that would probably (without checking the figures) be in our

top 10 transfer fees ever.

£1m in our world, at the moment, is a huge amount of money. Sometimes I think it that gets lost in the world of £50m for bang average EPL players.

He has scored a few goals. But really not been impressed by him. His hold up play is shite in truth and rarely wins a header. Could get better for the money he is on.

Lafferty could be our first 20 goals a season striker since .............. Robbo?

And folks are ambivalent about him going or staying

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

I'll be gutted if he goes. He seems to love it here and has become somewhat of a fan favourite. If we get a serious bid come in then I understand us accepting it. That being said, we would need to bring someone in, especially with Isma allegedly away.

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

He has scored a few goals. But really not been impressed by him. His hold up play is shite in truth and rarely wins a header. Could get better for the money he is on.

:vrface:

2 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Gets stupid bookings that result in suspensions. He never seems to learn from his mistakes. Most if his bookings are for flailing arms or elbows or rash challenges. At his age he is not going to change so if there is a genuine offer there I would take it.

Hope he stays, he’s been instrumental in bringing the Hearts attitude back this season. 

Obviously not the sectarians pricks making a return before anyone jumps on that. 

21 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

What the **** was wrong with his celebration :lol: 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, ducatiboy said:

100% this, he has not set the heather on ? since he left Hearts anywhere, no time to be sentimental.

Go back a few years and the exact same arguments were made against re signing rudi Skacel.. Can you imagine :rofl: people on here were actively suggesting resigning Skacel was a bad idea..

sometimes a player and a club were meant to be.. I've no idea if we are even interested in Sow but would love it if we were.. Oh oh oh it magic you know

I would be disappointed, yes, as I feel there's something good building at Tynie. But, if we get decent money and can get the right player(s) in that will do what we need for the team then it's the right decision. Get the current and future core of the team tied into the club for next 3/4 years and we can go places.

A player of Lafferty's experience should not have been making tackles like he did at Aberdeen, and leaving the team hanging for the post-break games. Also, I would have another Naismith type attitude and capability player any day of the week over Lafferty.

Absolute Scenes
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Bang on mate

It frustrates the life out of me that folk treat players (human being) like a number on a sheet. He is still a human being,  someone that clearly enjoys playing for us, that is having a picture painted about him without anyone really knowing anything.

We can insinuate and look into every detail of tweet, celebration etc...until the cows come home...but at the end of the day he is OUR player, who wants to play for us, loves playing for us and appreciates us.

I for one, hope he stays, I really feel he is going to kick on this season. Already bagged 11 goals, can see him hitting 20 easy.

Also, losing 3 strikers one window is quite scary considering there are 5 days left!

Just now, Gambo said:

If he goes, we have to have a replacement ready.

Can't honestly see us having the Time to do this 

Sell Lafferty and all the good business in this window is undone. Would be a terrible decision to punt our best known player, our talisman and someone who has worked very hard for the squad this season.

Just show a bit of ambition to keep our best players FFS. Otherwise its open season again on the squad. Offers for Berra, our youngsters and anyone else who catches the eye are sure to follow as Hearts are easy to deal with.

We will never be anything other than a club kicking about 3/4th place in the league if we sell our best players.

FFIW i don't believe any of the rumours re Kyle on here.

I'd rather he stayed and we managed to iron out any personal issues - I'm not in the camp of "don't care one way or the other"

I think we sometimes come across as saying that about every single player

Obviously if he's causing issues we can't handle - that's a different story, and if the money's too good to say no to, same again. 

But if we can sort him out and the money on the table is rubbish - I'd like us to try and keep him.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have not been overly impressed by Lafferty so far and think the stupid bookings he picks up must annoy CL. However, I feel we have yet to see him at his best and if he leaves now there will be a nagging feeling that we didn't witness the levels he could reach in a fairly weak league. He didn't set any heather on fire down south and I am surprised any clubs are interested now!

If he goes I trust Craig has a ready replacement lined up. 

If it is £1m then that's money we can't afford to turn down . Simple as that .

It should have been ten

He's not done himself any favours by getting himself suspended just now. I hope he stays, him and Naismith up front could be superb. 

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Lafferty could be our first 20 goals a season striker since .............. Robbo?

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

Posted my exact thoughts. How many times do people claim we need a 20 goal a season striker??? Well we potentially have one in lafferty.

As for the whispers etc I can guarentee he will still be a decent role model for the younger players. The experiences he has with the gambling etc can be used in a positive way to help warn the youngsters. His international status will see many of the kids look up to him.

As for him being at fault for the idiots in our fanbase thats total nonsense, the don cowie hating the IRA is worse that a ditty about playing the flute.

If he does go I'll be gutted if its for anything less than £2m.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

Totally agree mate, sitting at 11 goals half way through a season, 15 or so games to go. Easily gets 20 goals.

Juanma barely hit 12 goals the whole season and he was the last striker we had who scored double figures

32 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Fair price I think

you may be right ,but i think Fair is irrelevant. We don't need to sell so i hope we squeeze north of £750K (pref £1mill) out of them if he goes.

It should have been ten
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Go back a few years and the exact same arguments were made against re signing rudi Skacel.. Can you imagine :rofl: people on here were actively suggesting resigning Skacel was a bad idea..

sometimes a player and a club were meant to be.. I've no idea if we are even interested in Sow but would love it if we were.. Oh oh oh it magic you know

Absolutely nailed it 

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

Sell Lafferty and all the good business in this window is undone. Would be a terrible decision to punt our best known player, our talisman and someone who has worked very hard for the squad this season.

Just show a bit of ambition to keep our best players FFS. Otherwise its open season again on the squad. Offers for Berra, our youngsters and anyone else who catches the eye are sure to follow as Hearts are easy to deal with.

We will never be anything other than a club kicking about 3/4th place in the league if we sell our best players.

FFIW i don't believe any of the rumours re Kyle on here.

If you think we'd be as willing to lose say Berra, Souttar or Cochrane than the club would be to trade Lafferty, then you've lost the plot. If this rumour is true this isn't 100% about getting money in.  

Archived