Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

If he goes then he goes there's not much we can do about it, but I was looking forward to see Laf Naismith and Mitchell tie in I think it would have been fantastic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I thought it was a 3 game ban as he went above the points threshold as well, could be wrong though. 

I’ve checked on SFA website. Not listed as suspended so he is available.

I already ****ing hate the mackem scum, losing another player to them just isn't sitting well 

2 minutes ago, BigC said:

I’ve checked on SFA website. Not listed as suspended so he is available.

The list for 25 January hasn't been posted on the site yet (https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/disciplinary/player-suspensions/), unless you've found it somewhere.

The list for 18 January mentions a three match suspension to be served, "2 First Team Matches Immediate" (presumably for the red card) and "1 SPFL First Team League Match from 31/12/17" (presumably for the yellow card accumulation).

9 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

This is spot on but lets hope it is not the case. Some on here really need a reality check it really is all about money unless like Berra you have made your money and just want back to where you feel really comfortable and wanted.

Unless Lafferty's gambling problem centres around the fact he can't stop winning, you've got to think his savings account isn't as healthy as it should be given the career he has had.

Therefore, I would expect the opportunity to potentially treble his salary at Sunderland is not one he would turn down.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

I have no idea what Lafferty brings to the dressing room, or if Craig Levein and/or Ann Budge have a problem with him, but I suspect, if he is sold, that the fee (if announced) will tell us whether or not Hearts were wanting rid of him, or Sunderland were actually chasing him. £1m+ would, to me, indicate Sunderland have identified him as a player they see can help them, and have contacted Hearts with an offer they think we might find attractive, but less than, say, £750,000 could mean Hearts were trying to sell him, even at a price we would not be able to replace him with.

It would be a pity to see him go but could use the money to tie down Naismith on a longer loan contract into next season.

Guitarman0150

Why get rid of our front line when we are just making progress on the park , it's senseless. Isma has just over a 1 in 3 conversion rate , as has lafferty with a previously inept midfield so common sense should tell us that their conversion rates should go up . Stockton getting punted without getting a decent run of games . If the 3 of them go then we're back to square one . I think levein will have somebody lined up but who can we bring in who will be a marked improvement to isma and lafferty ? Then we have to go through the " give the guy a chance to bed in " chants. I really hope this doesn't happen because we have the potential to be decent for the first time in a couple of seasons . Can't get my head round this . 

My thoughts - I love having Lafferty, i love that he has that edge about him, and he loves playing for us.  But if we can somehow scoop £2M from this then magic ... we would have to bring somebody in of the same standard for the same length of contract (IMO) on the basis that we're have a few loan guys.  I'm also assuming he played a big part in Naismith joining up with us.

Sow isn't an option for me.

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

It's going to be another long day in JKB world...

This.

The wild thrashing around in the dark is something else.    

48 minutes ago, hibsarepants said:

Was told at last nights Tyncastle  Burns Supper that Lafferty MAY be away, didn't ask who to or why but I suspect its a Sow type deal that is too good to turn down.

What I’ve heard.

Silly wages on offer from the Far East. North of £1 million a year silly.

1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I have no idea what Lafferty brings to the dressing room, or if Craig Levein and/or Ann Budge have a problem with him, but I suspect, if he is sold, that the fee (if announced) will tell us whether or not Hearts were wanting rid of him, or Sunderland were actually chasing him. £1m+ would, to me, indicate Sunderland have identified him as a player they see can help them, and have contacted Hearts with an offer they think we might find attractive, but less than, say, £750,000 could mean Hearts were trying to sell him, even at a price we would not be able to replace him with.

Which is why rumours of the nature of the ones in this thread, founded or unfounded, do not help Hearts in this matter at all if they enter the public domain. They weaken our club's hand in any price negotiations. I honestly don't know what people were thinking.

3 minutes ago, steven_mck said:

It would be a pity to see him go but could use the money to tie down Naismith on a longer loan contract into next season.

Naismith was already lined up to move to is permanently until Norwich moved the goal posts and we had to settle on a loan.

Really hope Lafferty stays. I want to see them together. That's a strike force of a calibre we've not seen for a very long time.

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Old fashioned view of things.  Defending can start with your striker... his effort to close down defenders was a big factor in our win over Celtic. ISMA rarely does this. KL’s contribution to the team goes beyond goals scored. He is far more valuable to the team than ISMA.

We need our forwards to link up play. KL is as bad as this as anyone. 

Just now, Highways and Byways said:

What I’ve heard.

Silly wages on offer from the Far East. North of £1 million a year silly.

That’s what I heard a week or so ago.

If Sunderland are also in for him as well it can only be a good thing.

BIDDING WAR!!!!

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME
41 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Disagree.

Lafferty and Isma  have scored their fair share, the first 8-10 games in particular we created very little. tbh.

With a couple of wingers and Naismith in, it would be good all round.

Agree, reference money, anything around £1m we should be accepting and one big final pay day for Lafferty as well, winner, winner chicken dinner all round.

I don’t really see the point in selling Lafferty, 5 days before transfer deadline day with no real chance to replace him with similar quality and with Isma going that leaves us with no real goal threat as they both have been our main goal source. I think Naismith & Lafferty will be a very good combination getting as far as we can in the Scottish cup and finishing in top 4 should be our main goal and Lafferty gives us that experience and goal threat up top if they really want him i’m Sure they’ll come back in for him during the summer which then allows us to replace him with a striker of similar abilty especially if we are qualified for Europe we can do that. Don’t understand some fans calling for him to go for 1 mill & below it’s ludicrous. Would only accept an offer of  £2 mill and above we don’t need to sell 1 mill won’t make that much of a difference but a cup run and Europe will.

2 minutes ago, Guitarman0150 said:

Why get rid of our front line when we are just making progress on the park , it's senseless. Isma has just over a 1 in 3 conversion rate , as has lafferty with a previously inept midfield so common sense should tell us that their conversion rates should go up . Stockton getting punted without getting a decent run of games . If the 3 of them go then we're back to square one . I think levein will have somebody lined up but who can we bring in who will be a marked improvement to isma and lafferty ? Then we have to go through the " give the guy a chance to bed in " chants. I really hope this doesn't happen because we have the potential to be decent for the first time in a couple of seasons . Can't get my head round this . 

Pretty much where I'm at. Don't see where a 1-in-3 and an improvement in an experienced international striker is coming from I'm afraid.

Hope Lafferty stays. Isma I can see go for that money.

1 minute ago, BigC said:

That’s what I heard a week or so ago.

If Sunderland are also in for him as well it can only be a good thing.

BIDDING WAR!!!!

Do we know who the Chinese team is? As a lot of the rules re foreigners has changed in their league.

Just now, jambopilms said:

We need our forwards to link up play. KL is as bad as this as anyone. 

Yep.

When Stockton came in you could see the difference in hold up play immediately.

Stockton was slow and cumbersome and not much of a goal threat but his hold up play alone was way ahead of Lafferty.

Just now, Dalstonjambo said:

Who else is in for him? 

A Chinese team allegedly.

Have heard it from a few people now and it was before all the Sunderland chat came out.

Not ITK but the story keeps doing the rounds.

I think we are capable of resolving his issues..

Only sell if the money is too hot to refuse

It's another matter if we have anyone lined up to replace him. If not we would end up weaker than before, which would be a disappointment. But money talks.

5 minutes ago, BigC said:

A Chinese team allegedly.

Have heard it from a few people now and it was before all the Sunderland chat came out.

Not ITK but the story keeps doing the rounds.

Sorry you got in before my edit. I meant to say do you know which chinese team? As they are changing the rules on foreign signings out there, so more domestic players get a game. If we knew the team i guess we could work it out. 

26 minutes ago, BigC said:

He’s scored 3 in the LC against diddy teams and 7 in 21 games in the league. 

We have 15 games left in the league. If he keeps current his current ratio up he will get 12 in the league, giving him 15 plus whatever he gets in the SC.

The only way he gets 20+ is if he massively increases his goal tally from open play (not impossible if he strikes up a partnership with Naismith) or gets given a load of penalties to take. 

The idea that he is some sort of free scoring talisman is not backed up by the stats. Kris Doolan has more goals for PT this time last season. 

He also has 0 assists which is pretty poor for someone who has played up front in 21 games.

Not wanting to get into a stats war or be pedantic but...

The original poster did just say he could be our first 20+ goal scorer since 1990's, irrelevant of teams scored against. He has 11 in 25 so is on target to beat that.

Second to at least defend him 5 of those 19 he has came from the bench and he has been played as a winger in 7 of those 19 games. However I 100% do agree he should be adding link up play to his game because 0 assists is lacking what we need.

Your point about Doolan doesn't really compare as this season hes scored 3 in 21. Laff is the league joint 5th highest scorer only 2 behind Sinclair and Kris Boyd (who are joint second) and they have taken 1 penalty more than Lafferty. 

Just playing devils advocate with the stats (Also cause I'm biased and I love him. Please don't leave).

Homer and Barts
9 minutes ago, BigC said:

Yep.

When Stockton came in you could see the difference in hold up play immediately.

Stockton was slow and cumbersome and not much of a goal threat but his hold up play alone was way ahead of Lafferty.

Dont agree with this. Stockton maybe gives off the illusion that he is better that holding the ball up cos he backs his arse into the defender and holds his arms out. (Which he cant even do without falling over) Plenty times ive seen laff take the ball in and carry it until he finds a pass. He tends to dribble with it then lay it off. Not often do i see him misplace many passes when he does this

Not dissimilar to Isma as far as I can see.

Got both in for little outlay, both have done okay without setting heather on fire, neither fit the ‘solid pro’s from who the young will learn’ model we appear keen on. 

Admittedly losing both would put pressure on any replacements hitting the ground running. But if off field issues are starting to strain the relationship, we can make good money on them going and replace with potential upgrades then I’d say thanks to both for all you’ve done and move on.

its football in the modern day and we’ve played it well  if we make cash on either or both of Isma and KL

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

This will drag on for days then it will be late to replace him 

There's nothing quite like starting off the day with a positive attitude. ;)

I think with the high profile and high wages that KL has he hasn't been a great success. He is just more hard working than isma. Which lets face it is the least we expect from anyone.

The Old Tolbooth
19 minutes ago, Pistol1874 said:

Sell them Lafferty for £750k and put Jack Rodwell in the window for them until the summer (on their tab).

Job done.

Pretty sure I read yesterday that he was meant to be going in trial at Vitesse Arnhem, but he didn't turn up as he didn't want to play for them, I think taking on someone like him would be more trouble than he's worth tbh, plus he's on £70k per week at Sunderland with 18 months left on his contract, hell mend clubs for paying that sort of money on trash. 

Stephen Muddie
32 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

It's going to be another long day in JKB world...

I'm seething at some so called itk ers.

Childish pricks

2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

This will drag on for days then it will be late to replace him 

If that's what happens there isn't much we can do about it. Anything more than £750k will be impossible for HMFC to turn down, whether that bid comes tomorrow or 5 to midnight on deadline day. 

Stephen Muddie
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Image result for kyle lafferty wife ITS A NO FROM ME :mellow:

Thread saved. Mind the gap

John Gentleman
1 minute ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I'm seething at some so called itk ers.

Childish pricks

Aye, it's disappointing. They may genuinely think they're informing us, but the unfortunate side-effect is the stoking of speculative fires. 

PhoenixHearts
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Image result for kyle lafferty wife ITS A NO FROM ME :mellow:

Are thighs and arses no cool these days like?

Captain Canada

Had a quick look at the Sunderland website. They seem to only have 3 first team strikers and 2 at u23 level. 

They definitely need someone. If they go down again the club won't be worth nearly as much when it's sold. 

siegementality
2 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

The suggestions about him not being a good role model for the younger players isn't a valid reason for me, as surely the management/board knew his character/what kind of individual he was before signing him (especially McPhee).

However, It's naive to say that his celebration against celtic was merely a salute (as posted on this thread).  Clear as day what that actually was, no point pretending otherwise.  

It would also be naive to think that his signing hasn't played a part in the recent increase in sectarian singing. 

This, along with the unprofessional acts of sticking his finger up to the celtic fans at parkhead and calling a reporter a bell end on a public forum such as Twitter (albeit he was sticking up for himself)...

As good a player as he is, luckily we have some sensible heads in charge these days, such as Craig and Anne, who realise that this could all be to the detriment of the club.

I trust that they can weigh up the pros and cons of keeping him/letting him go and make the correct decision for the club.

The goal celebration was a salute. Feel free to view it on you tube. As I said just as well Alan Shearer wasn’t Northern Irish.

It it would be naive to think that sectarian singing hasn’t existed long before KL signed for Hearts. The 1970’s was the first time I heard it. There has always been sectarian signing, especially at away games, it’s always been there.

As for the sensible heads in charge. CL got sent to the stand for not going to the ref in what was considered an act of petulance, got involved in a pushing match against Hibs, trolled Lennon immediately after the game, and if rumours are to believed is a bit of a bookie head. His past includes assaulting a team mate and leaving his wife for another woman. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If Lafferty goes I hope there is some honesty as to the reasons why. If it’s purely financial the club should say so. It would be totally unfair for KL to leave the club under a cloud of rumour and speculation, especially if that rumour and speculation is bullshit.  Maybe that’s why some of the ITK’s aren’t so keen to come out with the full story, if indeed there is one.

Portable Badger
37 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Unless Lafferty's gambling problem centres around the fact he can't stop winning, you've got to think his savings account isn't as healthy as it should be given the career he has had.

Therefore, I would expect the opportunity to potentially treble his salary at Sunderland is not one he would turn down.

If press rumours are to be believed and they're paying Rodwell £70k per week to not play I think he would be able to more than treble his salary 

4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

The goal celebration was a salute. Feel free to view it on you tube. As I said just as well Alan Shearer wasn’t Northern Irish.

It it would be naive to think that sectarian singing hasn’t existed long before KL signed for Hearts. The 1970’s was the first time I heard it. There has always been sectarian signing, especially at away games, it’s always been there.

As for the sensible heads in charge. CL got sent to the stand for not going to the ref in what was considered an act of petulance, got involved in a pushing match against Hibs, trolled Lennon immediately after the game, and if rumours are to believed is a bit of a bookie head. His past includes assaulting a team mate and leaving his wife for another woman. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If Lafferty goes I hope there is some honesty as to the reasons why. If it’s purely financial the club should say so. It would be totally unfair for KL to leave the club under a cloud of rumour and speculation, especially if that rumour and speculation is bullshit.  Maybe that’s why some of the ITK’s aren’t so keen to come out with the full story, if indeed there is one.

Great post.  I've read the whole thread and concluded that no one on here knows whether Sunderland want him or whether Hearts are actively looking to get rid.

Personally, I hope that he stays as I'm not sure we can replace him at this much if a short notice without it being a panic buy.

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

Great post.  I've read the whole thread and concluded that no one on here knows whether Sunderland want him or whether Hearts are actively looking to get rid.

Personally, I hope that he stays as I'm not sure we can replace him at this much if a short notice without it being a panic buy.

Here here !!

3 minutes ago, siegementality said:

It it would be naive to think that sectarian singing hasn’t existed long before KL signing for Hearts. The 1970’s was the first time I heard it. There has always been sectarian signing, Especially at away games, it’s always been there.

If Lafferty goes I hope there is some honesty as to the reasons why. If it’s purely financial the club should say so. It would be totally unfair for KL to leave the club under a cloud of rumour and speculation, especially if that rumour and speculation is bullshit.  Maybe that’s why some of the ITK’s and so keen to come out with the full story.

Feel like there is always an over analysis of behind the scenes, probably the nature of a busy football forum and the need for some news during quite times.  I've no doubt that Kyle is a popular player in the dressing room and he was probably helpful in getting Naismith to come to us, but football is a business, we signed Kyle on a free transfer and if someone is offering anything over 750K then that is some serious profit made in 6 months for a club our size.  Levein probably feels he can bring someone in on a free transfer and lower wages that can do the same job as Kyle.  

I hope he stays though, he is good for the team and makes us a bit more streetwise.  I also like some stability on the playing front,  it's fine and well getting excited about potential signings but the mass exodus and incoming of players each window has to stop if we want to build a stable team, obviously at the moment we need some better quality but if the money is good take it and reinvest. 

Fly the Saltire

Didn't know we were playing Rangers on Saturday as that is usually the Daily Record's normal timing for such stories.

50 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

I already ****ing hate the mackem scum, losing another player to them just isn't sitting well 

After Craig Gordon, why can't we just ask for £9m 

6 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

This

Archived