Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

Sunderland are a complete basket case of a club. Got an owner who doesn’t want to be there and unwilling to spend any cash so I highly doubt we’ll get a big fee for him.  They’ve also a few other off the field issueS.

They’re in the bottom 3 of the championship as well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bungalow Bill

I’m disappointed by this. I’d like use to have a settled squad for a while. Lafferty although not prolific has shown he is willing to work hard for the team. 

Captain Canada

I think he's done really well in terms of goals and his work rate. The service he's had had been poor for most of the season. 

I'd rather see him stay but if there are concerns about his conduct in general, then I am sure the club will make the right call. 

My big concern would be signing replacements for him, Isma and Stockton in the time we have left this window. 

stirlingshirejambo

I did notice that when talking about bringing Naismith to the club he said it was great to bring another experienced professional to the club and that allied to the other good senior pros Berra, Hughes and Cowie then Naismith would be a further great asset

The fact he never mentioned Kyle at the time I thought was odd and this hasn't been the only occasion. Perhaps he views Kyle despite his age differently in terms of a good senior pro to have around

Then again age may be catching up on Levein like me and he just forgot to mention him!!!!

Coburg Hearts
45 minutes ago, the jambo poet said:

I will also add that he seems to run himself into the ground in certain games and appears lackadaisical in others. He's done brilliantly against Celtic and then gets stupidly sent off against Aberdeen, both of which are oldco's biggest rivals. Is there still an attachment there? We need/needed him to show up for all our games.

Paranoia is still alive and well, I see. KL has been fully committed in every game I've watched him in.

Morning JKB,

So Lafferty maybe sold due to one or all of the following:

Discipline

Lack of professionalism

Womanising

Gambling

Attitude

Influence on the youngsters

I like Kyle but if any of the above is a driver then with the amount of youth players here its a bad example to set and he probably has to go.

Strange one this but if Levein feels that selling him is in the best interests of the club then so be it.

Bringing in a replacement will mean an interesting conclusion to the transfer window.

John Gentleman
14 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I did notice that when talking about bringing Naismith to the club he said it was great to bring another experienced professional to the club and that allied to the other good senior pros Berra, Hughes and Cowie then Naismith would be a further great asset

The fact he never mentioned Kyle at the time I thought was odd and this hasn't been the only occasion. Perhaps he views Kyle despite his age differently in terms of a good senior pro to have around

Then again age may be catching up on Levein like me and he just forgot to mention him!!!!

If it's not the only occasion, then it's not error of omission.

A_A wehatethehibs

Have to say, if lafferty is the type of player Sunderland are in for they are definitely going down to league 1. It’s a little bit like Chelsea looking at crouch, English football has gone so far down the tippy tappy route that there is now a target man / plan B drought. Laff is good for Hearts against SPL cloggers, but I think the ship has probably sailed in terms of playing at a higher level. But you never know unless it happens I suppose

One thing I’ll say is, it would be a real shame for Kyle to miss the cup win so for that reason I think he will stay 

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Have to say, if lafferty is the type of player Sunderland are in for they are definitely going down to league 1. It’s a little bit like Chelsea looking at crouch, English football has gone so far down the tippy tappy route that there is now a target man / plan B drought. Laff is good for Hearts against SPL cloggers, but I think the ship has probably sailed in terms of playing at a higher level. But you never know unless it happens I suppose

One thing I’ll say is, it would be a real shame for Kyle to miss the cup win so for that reason I think he will stay 

Think you over estimate the standard of the championship.

I'd love to see him stay but if we get any sort of 7 figure sum for him it'll have to go down as an incredible piece of business.

We'd be netting over £2m over this window if he goes for a £1m+. Thats a huge sum of money for us.

The Treasurer
20 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

Lafferty may be a good player, but his "colourful" past is probably not the best example to show young players, especially alongside the like of Berra, Cowie, Hughes etc.

If this Sunderland story has got any truth in it why are people so happy to accept sums of between £500k- £1m ?

We're talking about a proven international goalscorer with EPL experience who has 18 months on his contract.

Sunderland may be a basket case but they were until recently an EPL club with all the cash that comes with that status, therefore I'd be disappointed in anything less than £2 - £2.5m

Where are we going to find a replacement with a similar CV for anything like the sort of money we could afford ?

HamishMcGonagall

The suggestions about him not being a good role model for the younger players isn't a valid reason for me, as surely the management/board knew his character/what kind of individual he was before signing him (especially McPhee).

However, It's naive to say that his celebration against celtic was merely a salute (as posted on this thread).  Clear as day what that actually was, no point pretending otherwise.  

It would also be naive to think that his signing hasn't played a part in the recent increase in sectarian singing. 

This, along with the unprofessional acts of sticking his finger up to the celtic fans at parkhead and calling a reporter a bell end on a public forum such as Twitter (albeit he was sticking up for himself)...

As good a player as he is, luckily we have some sensible heads in charge these days, such as Craig and Anne, who realise that this could all be to the detriment of the club.

I trust that they can weigh up the pros and cons of keeping him/letting him go and make the correct decision for the club.

I’ve aluded to this before but there has obviously been a falling out somewhere along the line here. As soon as Lafferty started taking such public shots at Tanner and then sharing and directing tweets to gain favour with Rangers fans I knew something wasn’t quiet right as he hadn’t done anything like that on twitter since he signed. His statement again about not wanting to move but saying that it was up to Hearts again was strange. It’s all a bit strange. 

24 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I noticed posts along similar lines on this thread.

Is anyone genuinely surprised that Kyle Lafferty has not turned into someone that Levein cites as a positive role model at the club? I doubt Levein is. 

I’m not convinced that means we are actively trying to get rid of him. Does McLaughlin’s omission from the list you cite mean we are trying to get rid of him? He’s over 30, too.

There may be other things going on, and he may indeed be a bad influence, but the fact he isn’t cited as a good influence is hardly surprising (he is a self-confessed gambling addict, FFS!) or evidence we are trying to get rid of him. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

The suggestions about him not being a good role model for the younger players isn't a valid reason for me, as surely the management/board knew his character/what kind of individual he was before signing him (especially McPhee).

However, It's naive to say that his celebration against celtic was merely a salute (as posted on this thread).  Clear as day what that actually was, no point pretending otherwise.  

It would also be naive to think that his signing hasn't played a part in the recent increase in sectarian singing. 

This, along with the unprofessional acts of sticking his finger up to the celtic fans at parkhead and calling a reporter a bell end on a public forum such as Twitter (albeit he was sticking up for himself)...

As good a player as he is, luckily we have some sensible heads in charge these days, such as Craig and Anne, who realise that this all to the detriment of the club.

I trust that they can weigh up the pros and cons of keeping him/letting him go and make the correct decision for the club.

So he done nothing wrong then? Winding up some plastic paddys isn't exactly the crime of the century.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Back to 2005 said:

Think you over estimate the standard of the championship.

Maybe, but I do not see Kyle Lafferty going into Sunderland and scoring /creating the 15-20 goals they’ll need to save themselves. 

Would rather we kept him on. We've finally got another player of quality to play with him in an advanced role.

Naismith has shown in the past two games he can set guys up and get into hard to defend positions for us. Lafferty would hopefully more often than not be the outlet for these plays. 

Money does talk but I don't see this as a positive step at this time for us to make. Giving him till May with Naismith and our new winger and assessing his future then makes more sense to me.

He runs around more than isma but his contribution going forward has been pretty similar. Just as like to miss hit than score , just as likely to kick it out the park than to find a hearts shirt. 

3 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

As good a player as he is, luckily we have some sensible heads in charge these days, such as Craig and Anne, who realise that this could all be to the detriment of the club.

I'm sorry, but saying the increase in sectarian singing is a direct influence of KL is a load of rubbish! Im not saying that as someone who is interested in singing those songs, I just think your statement is wrong.

For what he brings to the team on the park I wouldn't like to see him leave, but if a good offer comes in then long term it may benefit us.

Completely trust the judgement of CL.

Son Of Anarchy

Rather he stayed than went. Him and Isma are goal scorers that will be very hard to replace. If the money is right and it's in the club's best interest then I trust Craig/Ann's decision but I'd have loved to see him and SN play alongside each other. Know for a fact he's happy here but money talks.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was just an English money club about to make a derogotory bid thinking we'll accept peanuts. If we sell him I'd like good money for once.

stirlingshirejambo
3 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I noticed posts along similar lines on this thread.

Is anyone genuinely surprised that Kyle Lafferty has not turned into someone that Levein cites as a positive role model at the club? I doubt Levein is. 

I’m not convinced that means we are actively trying to get rid of him. Does McLaughlin’s omission from the list you cite mean we are trying to get rid of him? He’s over 30, too.

There may be other things going on, and he may indeed be a bad influence, but the fact he isn’t cited as a good influence is hardly surprising (he is a self-confessed gambling addict, FFS!) or evidence we are trying to get rid of him. 

I'm not advocating for a minute that I'd want him punted. I love what he does on the park and hope if there are issues(big if) then they can be resolved

I was just mentioning something I noticed when I heard Leveins comments and once again in Irvings interview today he mentions those 3 as being great influences and helping him enormously and never mentioned Kyle

fabienleclerq
36 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

If that's the interview I heard then I'm not sure it was on purpose, he only remembered Cowie right at the end. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
2 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

Any news on this Notts??

Haven't you read the thread? There's 'clues', apparently.

I never understand why some fans go mental when a player is rumoured to be leaving.

We are a business as well. If Levein thinks sell him, he must have suitable replacements in mind, otherwise he knows it’s daft to sell.

Lafferty has done ok, he’s certainly no world beater. He isn’t as good a player as I thought he would be, but I’m happy keeping him, but equally excited who else we get if our recent signing are anything to go by.

45 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I’m disappointed by this. I’d like use to have a settled squad for a while. Lafferty although not prolific has shown he is willing to work hard for the team. 

This is my view.

Would rather he stayed.

Show us the money -until then, nothing to see here. Same goes for all our players. 

A realistic bid must be around £1.5M. 

1 minute ago, ISMAparty said:

Haven't you read the thread? There's 'clues', apparently.

Sorry, I have not...what clues??

1 minute ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I'm not advocating for a minute that I'd want him punted. I love what he does on the park and hope if there are issues(big if) then they can be resolved

I was just mentioning something I noticed when I heard Leveins comments and once again in Irvings interview today he mentions those 3 as being great influences and helping him enormously and never mentioned Kyle

Kyle probably isn't a great influence as a senior player and as such wasn't mentioned. That doesn' make him a bad influence or a bad person but just someone who brings something different than statesman like professionalism.

If we punt him for that then were offsetting all our good signings and treading water imo

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

I personally wouldn’t let Kyle Lafferty leave unless it was for over £2 mill which no one is likely to pay. With 5 days left in the window and with only Naismith it would be a very poor move by the club.. he has also chipped in with a fair amount of goals this season. and think him and Naismith will make a very potent partnership. Some people saying let him go because of his behaviour? Really.. do you expect every player we have to be perfect role models. His achievements alone should speak for themself and i’m sure the younger players will look up to him for those achievements. think if it was up to some fans the atmosphere would be like a tennis game at tynecastle.

5 minutes ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

Fair enough. As said, I’ve seen another couple of similar comments. Personally, I wouldn’t read anything into the apparent omission at all. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Going to respect the privacy of the information I was given. But what I would say, since I have been given that information, reading Laffertys tweets, he is trying to manoeuvre himself into a position of victim, which from several of our reliable sources, is certainly not the case.

Time to go. Hopefully 1 striker at least to come in, though really I think we need 2. Should be a bit of cash to do it though.

1 minute ago, JAMMY1980 said:

No chance we will let him go for that.

They also report 600k for isma so would take with a large pinch of salt!!

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
5 minutes ago, JAMMY1980 said:

Sorry, I have not...what clues??

Well it's something linked to his professionalism and Notts said that we were to read what Barack said in the Lafferty red card thread, although I didn't see anything of note you might have better luck 

If any club offers decent money for him ,he will go. He’s probably a bit more high maintenance than most players but you get this in every squad. Everyone can’t be the cowies and berras in life. It would be a fairly dull training group. Levein can manage him fine imo. Money talks tho. It would be good business for us if we can replace him

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Going to respect the privacy of the information I was given. But what I would say, since I have been given that information, reading Laffertys tweets, he is trying to manoeuvre himself into a position of victim, which from several of our reliable sources, is certainly not the case.

Time to go. Hopefully 1 striker at least to come in, though really I think we need 2. Should be a bit of cash to do it though.

Cheers Sir Gio.

1 minute ago, ISMAparty said:

Well it's something linked to his professionalism and Notts said the we were to read what Barack said in the Lafferty red card thread, although I didn't see anything of note you might have better luck 

Sounds a bit like Chinese whispers...No time for faffing aboot. 

I have been looking forward to see Lafferty play alongside Naismith as I think the two of them would be a dealy combination.

Got to say I will be a bit gutted if we lose Lafferty.

It will leave us seriously short of striker option too.

7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Hes scored 10 and no I’m not a hun.

also can I ask why you highlight a penalty and a free kick in your wrong tally  ? The free kick was a belter but somehow you try and demean it ? Says it all. Maybe you need to count because you were 3 short in any case :facepalm: I’ll also add I think if he stays and plays he will get nearer 20 goals than your estimate of 12 goals and I’m happy to have a charity bet on that (if he plays of course)

I should have said league goals. I reckon his league tally will be about 12. LC must be 3 if he’s on 10 and if we go on a cup run and get to the semi or final then it’s not impossible that he’ll get 17-18 but he’d Have to do a lot better than he has done or score a lot more penalties which make it easier to get the total up.

I’m not taking anything away from the free kick, but it illustrates that he only has 5 goals from open play in 21 league games. 

The hun comment was not directed at you.

If people are going to insinuate stuff about Lafferty and supposed bad behaviour have the guts to back it up with detail or keep it shut.

It's not fair on the guy to have people thinking/assuming stuff about him due to cryptic ITK posts for attention.

Put up, or shut up. This is a current player we are talking about and a human being not some transfer rumour where nod nod wink wink is less harmful.

Archived