Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gnasher75 said:

If we get £300k or more for Isma and anywhere near £1m for Lafferty it would be incredibly good business. 

No idea what is going on behind the scenes but I trust our manager/director of football knows what he is doing. He is quietly moving out players he doesn't want and bringing in quality players with the right attitude and building a proper team.

I won't be too upset to see Lafferty go as I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is.

My only concern is whether Naismith will be less likely to hang around if Lafferty goes. It will be strange if they never actually play for Hearts together. 

That would certainly be one of the disappointing aspects, I was looking forward to seeing Lafferty and Naismith combine.

3 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

This 

Did I not point you where to find the background on this? Yep I did. I will let others vouch for what I either know or don't.

This story has been bubbling under for weeks.

3 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

This 

4 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Trust you? You've said the square root of **** all! 

****ing tiresome, if you got something to say, say it. ****ing cryptic nonsense, look at me!

Grow up. Some of us can't just come out with it. Notts is more cryptic than me but his source(s) have yet to let us down, and like some of the stuff I get told, if somebody ELSE comes out with it, Notts or myself (and a few others) are likely to confirm. It's also a good laugh seeing people get so wound up. 

Speaking for myself here, but Notts can correct me if i am wrong on his part.

4 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

My only concern is whether Naismith will be less likely to hang around if Lafferty goes. It will be strange if they never actually play for Hearts together. 

Or Naismith more likely to stay if Laff goes? More coin and all that

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Did I not point you where to find the background on this? Yep I did. I will let others vouch for what I either know or don't.

I think it's easy enough for people to work out.

Shame as I quite like Lafferty as a player, he does always give his all and can hit a ball into the net.

7 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Cheers. You may have noticed its actually something I've called into question numerous times about Lafferty over a period of months so this surprises me little. Craig Levein (and indeed Ann Budge) in my view have backed Kyle Lafferty big time, at least publicly but given that the other experienced heads we have been bringing in are free of baggage it stands to reason they don't want any perceived bad eggs in the dressing room. Particularly as we are throwing teenagers into the first team environment (with success) left, right and centre. If they can make some decent coin from Lafferty I'm sure they feel his reasonable not stunning contribution can be surpassed by others Levein can target. Just my take on it.

I haven't to be honest Hendricks, buts that just because its better for both of our health if we give each other a body swerve most of the time?.

You aren't far wrong on this one though ?

Guitarman0150

So if this is true our full attacking threat is gone ? Are we going forward with the youngsters ? Is this why zannatta was brought back ? I hope we aren't going to do a hibs and crash around xmas when we're just getting the feelgood factor and we're starting to get decent results . ?‍♀️

siegementality

Amazing how people are hinting at an issue that other people are hinting at but nobody actually has the nuts to come out and say it.

It should have been ten

Trust me, I'm well aware of the rumours regarding Lafferty. Some of us receive info but don't post clues. Tell it how it is or say nothing, the latter is how I work. We're all different though, granted. 

It should have been ten
9 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Grow up. Some of us can't just come out with it. Notts is more cryptic than me but his source(s) have yet to let us down, and like some of the stuff I get told, if somebody ELSE comes out with it, Notts or myself (and a few others) are likely to confirm. It's also a good laugh seeing people get so wound up. 

Speaking for myself here, but Notts can correct me if i am wrong on his part.

Grow up? You know nothing about me or who and what I know.

Just now, It should have been ten said:

Trust me, I'm well aware of the rumours regarding Lafferty. Some of us receive info but don't post clues. Tell it how it is or say nothing, the latter is how I work. We're all different though, granted. 

I haven't posted anything until the story broke tonight. I will say what I want when I want.......Not every story you get told is good news.

It should have been ten
Just now, Notts1874 said:

I haven't posted anything until the story broke tonight. I will say what I want when I want.......Not every story you get told is good news.

Good for you, I'm the same and very rarely is any news good news regarding rumours 

55 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Get a grip ffs - why the hell would you say that ? Potentially he’s going to be our first 20+goal a season forward in how many years ?

what a ridiculous statement

How are you getting 20+ goals from what you have seen so far? 

He’s scored 7 goals in 21 appearances. (Inc 1 pen and 1 free kick).There are 15 games left so he’s likely to get another 5 if he keeps a similar ratio up.

That would be 12 in the season, which is about as good as Kris Doolan did last season. 

He’s marginally better than average for the league and if there are problems then any bid above the £600k mark would be worth considering.

Add the fact the far too many supporters seem to think signing him has given them a green light to turn the Mini-Hun behaviour to eleven and I’ll be delighted to swap him for lots of cash that will make it easier to sign a quality replacement.

I'm not in the know at all. However, I can believe that Levein was under massive pressure to win last Sunday - if ever there was a "must win game" then that was it...So I can believe that Lafferty getting himself sent off against Aberdeen really annoyed the management. I suspect he may well have been told to pay for his own appeal as that was one the club was never going to win...However, we won the match without him so here's hoping that the pressure is off and any tension has eased. I quite like Lafferty as a player but I think we all know he has some baggage. 

4 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Grow up? You know nothing about me or who and what I know.

"My dad is bigger than your dad" type post.

As I said Grow up. 

Personally I hope he stays, buy could go the other way.

It should have been ten

Anyway I'm out. I hope the big man stays.......But before I do. I don't deal in rumours.

:touche:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
6 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Amazing how people are hinting at an issue that other people are hinting at but nobody actually has the nuts to come out and say it.

But the source might not even be sure. He or she might just be passing on suspicions.

It should have been ten
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'm not in the know at all. However, I can believe that Levein was under massive pressure to win last Sunday - if ever there was a "must win game" then that was it...So I can believe that Lafferty getting himself sent off against Aberdeen really annoyed the management. I suspect he may well have been told to pay for his own appeal as that was one the club was never going to win...However, we won the match without him so here's hoping that the pressure is off and any tension has eased. I quite like Lafferty as a player but I think we all know he has some baggage. 

:spoton:

I wonder if talks carried on with Naismith/Norwich and come summer we could tie up a permanent contract. But in order for that to happen a big wager would need to go? Naismith strikes me as the one who wants to settle down and coach here after football, laff loves a bit of a luxury lifestyle and even unsure if he'd consider coaching. Would it be worth it long term?

I love lafferty, good hold up play, good character and he's  shown with us he's grown up a bit too. Stocks higher than it was last season. He'll earn a nice wedge. 

All speculation of course.

6 minutes ago, Guitarman0150 said:

So if this is true our full attacking threat is gone ? Are we going forward with the youngsters ? Is this why zannatta was brought back ? I hope we aren't going to do a hibs and crash around xmas when we're just getting the feelgood factor and we're starting to get decent results . ?‍♀️

Our attacking threat currently includes Naismith, Milinkovic and Amankwaa which is quite exciting.  I'd love to see us going with three quick smaller players than playing with a big target man.   We also have Zanatta, Moore and the other youngsters.  If Lafferty goes I expect Levein will have another striker in mind but even if we don't bring anyone else in, it is not looking too bad!  

Hackney Hearts

It seemed fairly obvious when we signed Naismith that CL was repeatedly quoted as saying that Steven would be a great influence on the younger players, alongside the other senior players - Berra, Cowie and Hughes. Just those players, but never included Lafferty, who is clearly one of the older players. Older but not wiser in his case, seemed to be the implication. 

7 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

:touche:

Not falling out with you mate. I want him to stay. I love the lanky shit? .

3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It seemed fairly obvious when we signed Naismith that CL was repeatedly quoted as saying that Steven would be a great influence on the younger players, alongside the other senior players - Berra, Cowie and Hughes. Just those players, but never included Lafferty, who is clearly one of the older players. Older but not wiser in his case, seemed to be be the implication. 

??

siegementality
3 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

But the source might not even be sure. He or she might just be passing on suspicions.

Well there seems to be enough posters that know all about the issue. Do they all have the same source? There seems to be a lot of hinting about what other people are hinting at. All very strange.

20 minutes ago, BigC said:

How are you getting 20+ goals from what you have seen so far? 

He’s scored 7 goals in 21 appearances. (Inc 1 pen and 1 free kick).There are 15 games left so he’s likely to get another 5 if he keeps a similar ratio up.

That would be 12 in the season, which is about as good as Kris Doolan did last season. 

He’s marginally better than average for the league and if there are problems then any bid above the £600k mark would be worth considering.

Add the fact the far too many supporters seem to think signing him has given them a green light to turn the Mini-Hun behaviour to eleven and I’ll be delighted to swap him for lots of cash that will make it easier to sign a quality replacement.

Hes scored 10 and no I’m not a hun.

also can I ask why you highlight a penalty and a free kick in your wrong tally  ? The free kick was a belter but somehow you try and demean it ? Says it all. Maybe you need to count because you were 3 short in any case :facepalm: I’ll also add I think if he stays and plays he will get nearer 20 goals than your estimate of 12 goals and I’m happy to have a charity bet on that (if he plays of course)

It should have been ten
2 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

As I said Grow up. 

Hardly :lol:

Grow up.... again? I'll reiterate, you know nothing about me so pot and kettle maybe?

On agreement with your last comment, hope he stays but whichever way it goes the club's best interest is what matters.

It should have been ten
6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Not falling out with you mate. I want him to stay. I love the lanky shit? .

Same here bud, fingers crossed it all works out :thumb:

It should have been ten
9 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It seemed fairly obvious when we signed Naismith that CL was repeatedly quoted as saying that Steven would be a great influence on the younger players, alongside the other senior players - Berra, Cowie and Hughes. Just those players, but never included Lafferty, who is clearly one of the older players. Older but not wiser in his case, seemed to be the implication. 

In a nutshell 

Just now, It should have been ten said:

Hardly :lol:

Grow up.... again? I'll reiterate, you know nothing about me so pot and kettle maybe?

On agreement with your last comment, hope he stays but whichever way it goes the club's best interest is what matters.

I just want to show up at Ibrokes with Lafferty & Naismith upfront, another ex player in Cochrane behind them, the seethe would be off the scale. Isma & Stockton look to be away so we do look short up top, Keena is the next one to come up for us but IF Lafferty is away we need to fill the gap 

Hopefully this doesn't sour anything between Levein and McPhee if, as was the narrative when he signed and disclosed his personal problems, that McPhee and he had a close bond . Although i'm not sure you'd get many smarter and more professional guys than McPhee in coaching, so I can fully imagine him seeing the bigger picture. 

Just now, Juanjo said:

Hopefully this doesn't sour anything between Levein and McPhee if, as was the narrative when he signed and disclosed his personal problems, that McPhee and he had a close bond . Although i'm not sure you'd get many smarter and more professional guys than McPhee in coaching, so I can fully imagine him seeing the bigger picture. 

Did you see Levien & Macphee's jumping dance in each others arms at the FT whistle on Sunday? Issues with Laff have been going on for a long time before that. Some signings work out some don't. 

siegementality
Just now, dazajmbo said:

Did you see Levien & Macphee's jumping dance in each others arms at the FT whistle on Sunday? Issues with Laff have been going on for a long time before that. Some signings work out some don't. 

The first rule of Issues Club, we don’t talk about the issues.

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

The first rule of Issues Club, we don’t talk about the issues.

Correct. 

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, dazajmbo said:

I just want to show up at Ibrokes with Lafferty & Naismith upfront, another ex player in Cochrane behind them, the seethe would be off the scale. Isma & Stockton look to be away so we do look short up top, Keena is the next one to come up for us but IF Lafferty is away we need to fill the gap 

Totally agree bud, really hope it all works out as I'd love him to stay. Maybe if the man himself grew up up a wee bit, there would be no need for this thread :thumbsup:

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I'm ambivalent about this. No player is more important than squad harmony. If Lafferty is bring unprofessional I won't lose sleep if he's punted.

He's a reasonable player but can be replaced.

20 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

??

5 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Totally agree bud, really hope it all works out as I'd love him to stay. Maybe if the man himself grew up up a wee bit, there would be no need for this thread :thumbsup:

Very much , i was hoping that Naismith coming up might help to resolve the issues but seems thats not going to happen. Fingers crossed though

Slevinkelevra

Am i allowed to post rumours or not?? Ah will do it anyways...

Not itk at all, but the rumour i had heard was that the red hand celebration v celtic was not well received, apparent attitude issues also which the club fear may have a negative impact on the youth players.  This was the story i got on sunday from somone who knows someone.said person is a hibee though ao probably crap.

Really hope any potential deal for Lafferty falls apart. I really like him and don't think we could find much better. He's something of a cult hero among the fans and it would be ****ing depressing to see him sold because of what appears to be boardroom politics. 

We cannot afford to punt our entire forward line midway through the season when we could realistically catch the hobos and possibly nab Europe. Utter vladeque madness! Again, something i've said before: continuity is something we should be striving for. The player turnover up to this point has been utterly farcical and I would really rather we keep him. Potentially another good couple of years in him at least. 

As others have said, hopefully beating the hobos has changed the mood that wanted him gone and he can continue doing what he does for us. 

Edit: Wouldn't a swap deal for Cillian Sheridan :P . Doing pretty well for some random polish team.. think they finished 2nd last season?

20 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

As I said Grow up. 

By all accounts Daz, it's yourself who's been engaged in ****** measuring contest.

Notts and Daz, appreciate you guys have your ear to the ground and I pay a fair bit of attention to both your posts. Coming on here being all cryptic about what may or may not be going on within the dressing room does neither of you any favours.

Stick to the transfer exclusives rather than the tabloid exposés.

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Very much , i was hoping that Naismith coming up might help to resilve the issues but seems thats not going to happen. Fingers crossed though

Can only hope it can be resolved mate. After the carry on with him choosing between us and the wee team it would be a shame for it to go to pot already. We're not the first club where his mentality has caused issues, pretty sure we won't be the last either. Hard to change someone's character for the better at times.

siegementality
5 minutes ago, Slevinkelevra said:

Am i allowed to post rumours or not?? Ah will do it anyways...

Not itk at all, but the rumour i had heard was that the red hand celebration v celtic was not well received, apparent attitude issues also which the club fear may have a negative impact on the youth players.  This was the story i got on sunday from somone who knows someone.said person is a hibee though ao probably crap.

His celebration was a salute, albeit back to front from how most people would have done it. Just as well Alan Shearer wasn’t Northern Irish.

Pretty underwhelmed by Lafferty's overall footballing contribution. And at his age he's not getting any better. Also some issues about the number of games he can put together in a short space of time - suggests plenty about how he's lived his life off the park. Flip side of that is that his goals have tended to be really important ones at the time in games: tended to be winners (league cup, St Johnstone & Hamilton), and key goals (Celtic and Dundee) off the top of my head. I think players like him will always attract the attention of clubs who think they can be the ones to get the best out of him, good cv and a big name. Good luck to him if he goes, hopefully we are able to use the money well - late in the window now and not an easy window to work in.

John Gentleman

I do hope the club are doing proper risk assessments on all these player movements. As an example, there's nothing in Danny the Dane's history (best predictor of the future) which suggests he's nothing other than a major risk from an injury perspective. That being said, I can 'sort of' understand the KL situation. He does have a tendency to get involved in skirmishes not of his making and his 'hand of Ulster gesture' wouldn't have enamoured him to Ms Budge. I think the 3-match suspension may just have been the catalyst.

Hopefully, CL has some well-behaved ducks lined up to replace the bothersome threesome (or 'one-some' as things now stand).

Archived