Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

My first instinct was I’d be disappointed for him to leave. If however he is being disruptive behind the scenes then take the money and let him go. Thinking of the potential long term issues it’s just not worth ruining the good spirit the team seem to have just now. He’s been a good addition to the team this season bit not THAT good. 

If their has been an issue for as long as some in here are suggesting then surely we have someone in mind to replace him? 

In an ideal world if he leaves it would be great to see another young lad get his chance to thrive like Cochrane, Brandon, Moore etc have already this season.  Not convinced we have that though unfortunately. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Why do people keep claiming he is being disruptive behind the scenes?

Rumours are a dangerous thing.

Exactly, who needs enemies eh!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
34 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Didn't know we were playing Rangers on Saturday as that is usually the Daily Record's normal timing for such stories.

We have the unbeatables on Tuesday, though. 

Phil D. Corners
6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I interpret it that he is a joker, not a disrupter. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Walsh said:

In what way is he being disruptive? His team mates seem to love in, and he’s stated clearly he wants stay. 

Apparently he’s regularly nudging his team mates in training, then winking at them. Sends them private messages afterwards to apologize.

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This. What evidence do people have?

He has/had a probelm with gambling. The club have been very supporitive of him and he has come out many times thanking the club and stating that he is very happy at Hearts. Did he not comment on Twitter recently that he was going no where and if a bid came in for him then he would totally leave it up to the club if they wanted to sell him?

What else has he done that is being classed as distruptive?

Regardless of what anyone says losing Lafferty would be a big loss. I cannot wait until he is back in the team and linking up with Naismith.

HamishMcGonagall
37 minutes ago, siegementality said:

The goal celebration was a salute. Feel free to view it on you tube. As I said just as well Alan Shearer wasn’t Northern Irish.

It it would be naive to think that sectarian singing hasn’t existed long before KL signed for Hearts. The 1970’s was the first time I heard it. There has always been sectarian signing, especially at away games, it’s always been there.

As for the sensible heads in charge. CL got sent to the stand for not going to the ref in what was considered an act of petulance, got involved in a pushing match against Hibs, trolled Lennon immediately after the game, and if rumours are to believed is a bit of a bookie head. His past includes assaulting a team mate and leaving his wife for another woman. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If Lafferty goes I hope there is some honesty as to the reasons why. If it’s purely financial the club should say so. It would be totally unfair for KL to leave the club under a cloud of rumour and speculation, especially if that rumour and speculation is bullshit.  Maybe that’s why some of the ITK’s aren’t so keen to come out with the full story, if indeed there is one.

"Feel free to view it on YouTube"... Aye, because I've not seen the celebration already.... To me it's not a simple salute. To compare it to Shearer's celebration is laughable.

And I didn't say that sectarian singing hadn't existed before signing Lafferty.  Merely pointed out that his signing has coincided with a resurgence of such singing, which to me is more than coincidental.  This season has definitely seen a sharp rise in it, christ we can't even sing the don cowie song or sweet Caroline without numpties turning it into something hate-fuelled.

As for Levein and Budge, all I know is they want the best for the club and will make the correct decision.

I realise I'm coming across as if I want him away, I actually don't! Just pointing out the stuff that may have Budge thinking that if we can get some decent money for him to get an able replacement, then maybe we'd be better off without him and what seems to come with him.

14 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Made Fleetwood Mac millions.;)

17 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

15 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Exactly, who needs enemies eh!

15 minutes ago, Billy Walsh said:

In what way is he being disruptive? His team mates seem to love in, and he’s stated clearly he wants stay. 

THIS!

2 hours ago, Jambo83 said:

No it's not.  In comparison to Isma, he won his fair share, just nobody running beyond to pick them up.

I recall him coming on for Stockton (who you couldn't slip a beer mat under) and his first touch was winning a header straight from the game restarting.  I remember thinking, he's won more headers in 5 seconds than Stockton has all game and that generally sums up his aerial ability in comparison to Isma and Stockton.

On a similar note, wee Naismith wins a ridiculous amount for a man of his height

The discussion or point was about Lafferty not Naismith, Isma and Stockton. I happen to agree with your comments about the others however not on Lafferty.

He invariably backs into defenders rather than trying to outjump them and gets stupid bookings for continuing to commit the same type of fouls.

On his game he is a decent palyer for us but I am sure we could get better.

48 minutes ago, 3Bigcupsoon said:

After Craig Gordon, why can't we just ask for £9m 

Pretty sure they just got nearly £20 million from Everton for Pickford ( may be wrong) so its possible they'll have a bit of cash lying about to improve the squad.

If your selling the likes of Lafferty to an English Championship club, £1 million is cheap, too cheap.

May have missed it but have the club announced that Isma and Stockton have officially left Hearts 

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

It’s brilliant to see the younger players getting a game but if a senior player leaves the immediate reaction can’t be “ replace him with a youngster “ can’t have a squad of 17 year olds. Wouldn’t sell laff this window very unlikley we can replace him with similar quality would just say to the teams apparently after him £2 mill or go away anything below wont have such a huge impact on the club.

14 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

This. What evidence do people have?

He has/had a probelm with gambling. The club have been very supporitive of him and he has come out many times thanking the club and stating that he is very happy at Hearts. Did he not comment on Twitter recently that he was going no where and if a bid came in for him then he would totally leave it up to the club if they wanted to sell him?

What else has he done that is being classed as distruptive?

Regardless of what anyone says losing Lafferty would be a big loss. I cannot wait until he is back in the team and linking up with Naismith.

Maybe the part highlighted is happening!!!

3 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

May have missed it but have the club announced that Isma and Stockton have officially left Hearts 

It's certainly not on the website.

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The discussion or point was about Lafferty not Naismith, Isma and Stockton. I happen to agree with your comments about the others however not on Lafferty.

He invariably backs into defenders rather than trying to outjump them and gets stupid bookings for continuing to commit the same type of fouls.

On his game he is a decent palyer for us but I am sure we could get better.

Perhaps, but as a striker the natural comparison in terms of ability or performance is to players in the same position.

I just think he done fine in the air, compared to others, and in general.  I think he's one of these tall players though that prefers the ball on the deck (like Sow and Fuller)

I enjoy having someone of his experience on our team, if we get better though, happy days!

2 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

He's a player we got for free 6 months ago and has shown fairly average form. In all honesty I could see us getting 500-750k, can't see it being any higher

If there really is a move to shift him by the club then there will be more clubs than Sunderland making moves for him over the next few days.If not then we keep him and that would make me happy.

2 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Perhaps, but as a striker the natural comparison in terms of ability or performance is to players in the same position.

I just think he done fine in the air, compared to others, and in general.  I think he's one of these tall players though that prefers the ball on the deck (like Sow and Fuller)

I enjoy having someone of his experience on our team, if we get better though, happy days!

What I find strange at times is why we persist with high balls from the back when we don't win that many in the air and we can move the ball about on the ground reasonably well.

I know there are times when the right thing to do is just launch the ball from defenece which tends to be the Berra style but hopefully with faster players in the team we will be looking to play the ball into feet more.

12 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

Stockton yes, Isma no

The Future's Maroon

I don't get why folk are willing to just accept him leaving, bringing up off field RUMOURS not facts are dangerous (just he imagine he read this thread and seen how many would be happy if he went for £x, if it were me it wouldn't make me feel very appreciated)...he has said he loves it here, pretty sure he said something about staying long term/end his career here.

For me we should tell any team who enquire about him to gtf, not saying we can now say "naw, we are sorted financially and can afford to turn good money down", but we should make a stance that we don't want to sell him....if anyone then comes in with a silly bid, then the club (and player) will have something to think about.

As for the DR article, the fandango who wrote that clearly reads this forum.

Fake news.

Gimme an H...
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Stockton yes, Isma no

Where have we announced Stockton is away?

37 minutes ago, Billy Walsh said:

see the slaughtering Jamie walker got, the twits, quotes and actions attributed to him were hilarious, certainly showed up a lot on here as brain dead

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe the part highlighted is happening!!!

Maybe but if thats the case then it will have to be an offer we couldnt refuse.

7 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I don't get why folk are willing to just accept him leaving, bringing up off field RUMOURS not facts are dangerous (just he imagine he read this thread and seen how many would be happy if he went for £x, if it were me it wouldn't make me feel very appreciated)...he has said he loves it here, pretty sure he said something about staying long term/end his career here.

For me we should tell any team who enquire about him to gtf, not saying we can now say "naw, we are sorted financially and can afford to turn good money down", but we should make a stance that we don't want to sell him....if anyone then comes in with a silly bid, then the club (and player) will have something to think about.

As for the DR article, the fandango who wrote that clearly reads this forum.

Fake news.

If Sunderland offer £1mil for him then he will be off.

I hope that is not the case though as like you say, the club should be trying their best to keep him.

It is weird how suddenly he's been a bad egg AND Sunderland want him - seems a bit of a coincidence

I get there's no smoke without fire though.. 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Stockton yes

Where did we announce that? I thought anything like this was announced via the club website, and I can’t see anything.

Johnny Sandiego
31 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

And I didn't say that sectarian singing hadn't existed before signing Lafferty.  Merely pointed out that his signing has coincided with a resurgence of such singing, which to me is more than coincidental.  This season has definitely seen a sharp rise in it, christ we can't even sing the don cowie song or sweet Caroline without numpties turning it into something hate-fuelled.

As for Levein and Budge, all I know is they want the best for the club and will make the correct decision.

I realise I'm coming across as if I want him away, I actually don't! Just pointing out the stuff that may have Budge thinking that if we can get some decent money for him to get an able replacement, then maybe we'd be better off without him and what seems to come with him.

There is no chance Craig Levein and Ann Budge will be discussing a rise in sectarian singing and attributing it to Lafferty's signing and using this as a reason to move him on. Only folk on here are making that mental comparison. 

If there is interest from elsewhere the only discussion they will have will be around money into the club and the impact on the playing squad if he leaves. Simple as that. Anything else is conspiracy theory nonsense.

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Folk wanting £2million ?

What he's worth, and what Sunderland in their predicament should be paying for a goal scoring centre forward are 2 different things.

They are desperate, they have the funds................. and we can afford to play hardball.

For once we are calling the shots when another team wants to take one of our players.

There is no excuse not to make the most of it. I'd certainly be talking him up to at least 2 million under the current circumstances.

Who else are they going to get for that sort of money ?

Edit : of course, none of this applies if there has been something going on behind the scenes and Hearts have initiated a possible move.

siegementality
24 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

"Feel free to view it on YouTube"... Aye, because I've not seen the celebration already.... To me it's not a simple salute. To compare it to Shearer's celebration is laughable.

It was a goal celebration. If exactly the same celebration was done against Partick Thistle no-one would have cracked a light. If it was deemed to have been inflammatory, or in any way judged to have been anything that it wasn’t, he would, at the very least, have been charged by the SFA. He wasn’t. It would appear some fans, particularly Hearts fans, are the ones making the most out of it. 

I’ll not Labour the sectarian singing part. It’s been on the go for decades. We now have three Northern Irish players. Should all three be moved on or only Lafferty? Why in particular Lafferty? I’ve never heard him comment on any sectarian signing by Hearts fans let alone condone it. To apportion any blame to KL, when there are others of the same religion and nationality is simply wrong. He cannot and should not be held responsible for the actions of others.

You totally avoided the comments regarding CL. He could equally be accused of being disruptive. As well as what I listed the “natural order” comment resulted in far too much press and media comment, most of which was negative, and brought about a situation that could have been avoided. Negative press brought on the club. I’ve seen no negative press in relation to KL’s behaviour (the press were sympathetic in the way they covered his gambling problem).

The only things I have read in relation to KL being distruptive have been on here.  This has resulted in numerous posters speculating to such an extent that we now have a long list of alleged KL misdemeanours. None of this has of yet proven to be founded. Why supposed Hearts fans would come out with this without evidence is beyond me.  Rumour and speculation abound. Maybe some have just taken attention seeking to a new level.

12 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

I think Lafferty is enjoying his time at Hearts and given we’re already trying to get 2 other forwards moved on I can’t see this happening . Shambles of a club Sunderland . 

Geordie incarnation of a certain shitty team from leith.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sandiego said:

There is no chance Craig Levein and Ann Budge will be discussing a rise in sectarian singing and attributing it to Lafferty's signing and using this as a reason to move him on. Only folk on here are making that mental comparison. 

If there is interest from elsewhere the only discussion they will have will be around money into the club and the impact on the playing squad if he leaves. Simple as that. Anything else is conspiracy theory nonsense.

Exactly. Are we going stop signing Northern Irish players as it might promote sectarian singing?

Utter nonsense!

4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

It was a goal celebration. If exactly the same celebration was done against Partick Thistle no-one would have cracked a light. If it was deemed to have been inflammatory, or in any way judged to have been anything that it wasn’t, he would, at the very least, have been charged by the SFA. He wasn’t. It would appear some fans, particularly Hearts fans, are the ones making the most out of it. 

I’ll not Labour the sectarian singing part. It’s been on the go for decades. We now have three Northern Irish players. Should all three be moved on or only Lafferty? Why in particular Lafferty? I’ve never heard him comment on any sectarian signing by Hearts fans let alone condone it. To apportion any blame to KL, when there are others of the same religion and nationality is simply wrong. He cannot and should not be held responsible for the actions of others.

You totally avoided the comments regarding CL. He could equally be accused of being disruptive. As well as what I listed the “natural order” comment resulted in far too much press and media comment, most of which was negative, and brought about a situation that could have been avoided. Negative press brought on the club. I’ve seen no negative press in relation to KL’s behaviour (the press were sympathetic in the way they covered his gambling problem).

The only things I have read in relation to KL being distruptive have been on here.  This has resulted in numerous posters speculating to such an extent that we now have a long list of alleged KL misdemeanours. None of this has of yet proven to be founded. Why supposed Hearts fans would come out with this without evidence is beyond me.  Rumour and speculation abound. Maybe some have just taken attention seeking to a new level.

Agree with this 100%

It was also the same with Walker and to an extent Robbie. Lies, Chinese whispers, rumours and deliberate misrepresentation designed to "flame" and destabilise people within the club.  Its deliberate, its malicious and its premeditated.

They will move onto the next target after KL.  

6 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

What he's worth, and what Sunderland in their predicament should be paying for a goal scoring centre forward are 2 different things.

They are desperate, they have the funds................. and we can afford to play hardball.

For once we are calling the shots when another team wants to take one of our players.

There is no excuse not to make the most of it. I'd certainly be talking him up to at least 2 million under the current circumstances.

Who else are they going to get for that sort of money ?

Exactly. I'm not surprised by this weegie tabloid story. Just like oldco they like to upset a player who is settled at his parent club. This time we are in the position to tell other clubs to do one.

CL quoted by Banderson as saying we have had no offers in for Lafferty

27 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Where have we announced Stockton is away?

There was a tweet posted on here, was it not from an official source?

Gimme an H...
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There was a tweet posted on here, was it not from an official source?

Aye I've just seen that Levein is quoted as saying something along the lines of "...we're working on getting a striker in, a midfielder will depend on what happens with Stockton and Nowak".

:thumb:

11 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

No bids for Lafferty so far.

Good, hope it stays that way because I think Lafferty, paired with Naismith,  will be crucial in the second half of the season.

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Lafferty could be our first 20 goals a season striker since .............. Robbo?

And folks are ambivalent about him going or staying

Guys a handful, I like

Please keep!

This thread is about Kyle Lafferty. Not sure what Lafferty you're talking about but Kyle isn't ever going to get 20 in a season for us!

3 hours ago, Homme said:

Sell Lafferty and all the good business in this window is undone. Would be a terrible decision to punt our best known player, our talisman and someone who has worked very hard for the squad this season.

Just show a bit of ambition to keep our best players FFS. Otherwise its open season again on the squad. Offers for Berra, our youngsters and anyone else who catches the eye are sure to follow as Hearts are easy to deal with.

We will never be anything other than a club kicking about 3/4th place in the league if we sell our best players.

FFIW i don't believe any of the rumours re Kyle on here.

I quite like the guy and will be quite happy if he stays, but to suggest selling him would would be as big a negative as bringing in Naismith, never mind also Mitchell, is rather overstating things, and to describe him as our talisman is beyond ridiculous. 

If we were offered £1m for him, we'd be nuts to turn it down.

Up off the nightshift and thinking eyes must deceive me re folk thinking we wouldnt accept anything over 300-400k for Laff!!!! Good player or not, if folk think we wouldnt bite an offer of that minimum are clearly skipping about of a day in lala-land!!!!! ?

Journo at the Daily Record must be laughing his tits off at a 10-pager off the back of a rumour about Lafferty and Sunderland - I means Sunderland? Absolute basket case of a club right now...

Archived