Lafferty targeted by Sunderland

Kendoll

10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really hope any potential deal for Lafferty falls apart. I really like him and don't think we could find much better. He's something of a cult hero among the fans and it would be ****ing depressing to see him sold because of what appears to be boardroom politics. 

We cannot afford to punt our entire forward line midway through the season when we could realistically catch the hobos and possibly nab Europe. Utter vladeque madness! Again, something i've said before: continuity is something we should be striving for. The player turnover up to this point has been utterly farcical and I would really rather we keep him. Potentially another good couple of years in him at least. 

As others have said, hopefully beating the hobos has changed the mood that wanted him gone and he can continue doing what he does for us. 

Edit: Wouldn't a swap deal for Cillian Sheridan :P . Doing pretty well for some random polish team.. think they finished 2nd last season?

Agree with most of this, but nobody is bigger than the club.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should have been ten

I want Lafferty to stay but if him going means we'd have more chance of keeping Naismith then I'd take that every time.

16 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'm not in the know at all. However, I can believe that Levein was under massive pressure to win last Sunday - if ever there was a "must win game" then that was it...So I can believe that Lafferty getting himself sent off against Aberdeen really annoyed the management. I suspect he may well have been told to pay for his own appeal as that was one the club was never going to win...However, we won the match without him so here's hoping that the pressure is off and any tension has eased. I quite like Lafferty as a player but I think we all know he has some baggage. 

Levein very publicly defended the red card amd said it wasn’t a red. Levein and Budge both backed Lafferty on the gambling thing. 

As the itkers aren’t providing any clues and are making us do the krypton factor to find anything out I’m going with one of these:

A) we need to raise cash to pay for the new players and he’s the most sellable

B. ) his gambling issues have resurfaced and he’s seen as a bad role model, plus A

C) something untoward happened in spain, plus A

D) it’s a storm in a teacup, but A still applies

1 minute ago, It should have been ten said:

I want Lafferty to stay but if him going means we'd have more chance of keeping Naismith then I'd take that every time.

This.

Hackney Hearts
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

depressing to see him sold because of what appears to be boardroom politics. 

If he's seen by the manager as a bad influence on the dressing room (particularly the youth), then that's not exactly boardroom politics.

Happy to see him stay - but I don't think he's irreplaceable.

The Future's Maroon

I'd be listening to what Notts says personally.

next couple of days could be interesting 

3 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Never know could be interesting in a good way.

Usually I head to the Shed and the "Where is this?" thread if I want to exercise my brain and indulge in a bit of cryptic puzzle-solving.

It looks like I've been looking in the wrong place. I should be on the Terrace. ;)

8 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

Levein very publicly defended the red card amd said it wasn’t a red. Levein and Budge both backed Lafferty on the gambling thing. 

As the itkers aren’t providing any clues and are making us do the krypton factor to find anything out I’m going with one of these:

A) we need to raise cash to pay for the new players and he’s the most sellable

B. ) his gambling issues have resurfaced and he’s seen as a bad role model, plus A

C) something untoward happened in spain, plus A

D) it’s a storm in a teacup, but A still applies

Good post especially your first paragraph which is undisputed as far as I’m aware unless I have missed something. , but I would add also a point e) it’s a load of nonsense aimed at drerailing a Hearts team that’s doing brilliantly.

Sisterlover .net will be loving this shit

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Good post especially your first paragraph which is undisputed as far as I’m aware unless I have missed something. , but I would add also a point e) it’s a load of nonsense aimed at drerailing a Hearts team that’s doing brilliantly.

Indeed. We could be doing without all this rumour crap, whether those rumours are true or not. It only tends to de-stabilise. We're doing the Glasgow media's job for them - they must be pleased.

As the bigger picture becomes clearer month by month it seems obvious that if you don't buy in to the club ethos and perform on the pitch and off it then your time is limited at Tynecastle. Isma perceived by the management as not working hard enough -  right let's find a way to move him on that suits both parties. Lafferty works hard on the park but no idea how he is perceived off it and what ongoing issues he has. He's been decent but not outstanding and if we got a relatively sizeable fee then it might be best for both parties, that is Levein's judgement call. The hard part looks like getting in someone before the window "slams shut". 

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Interesting - that's an interesting choice of adjective.

Interesting in a positive way (i.e. good), or interesting ironically (i.e. bad)? Hm, interesting.

8 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. We could be doing without all this rumour crap, whether those rumours are true or not. It only tends to de-stabilise. We're doing the Glasgow media's job for them - they must be pleased.

Exactly. There's no need to indulge, whether there's any truth in it or not.

We're in as good a place as we've been in a long time. Why anyone would want to stir shit regardless of what they've heard doesn't sit right. There's plenty waiting in the wings to stick the boot in wherever possible.

29 minutes ago, Jodami said:

As the bigger picture becomes clearer month by month it seems obvious that if you don't buy in to the club ethos and perform on the pitch and off it then your time is limited at Tynecastle. Isma perceived by the management as not working hard enough -  right let's find a way to move him on that suits both parties. Lafferty works hard on the park but no idea how he is perceived off it and what ongoing issues he has. He's been decent but not outstanding and if we got a relatively sizeable fee then it might be best for both parties, that is Levein's judgement call. The hard part looks like getting in someone before the window "slams shut". 

Thats a pretty damned good post.... 

Having the right ethos at the club and it being bought in to by everyone can only benefit the club and works for me. Weve seen it as recently as last night on the pitch such as Naismith and Berra leading and directing.

In fairness to Neilson I always had the impression that he was extremely hard working and diligent as our head coach.  He had a DoF however so didn't have to spend hours talking to agents etc.

Levein is doing all of that although I expect he delegates a lot of the day to day training and coaching.

Long winded way of saying that I think he must be working extremely long hours to get things right on the park.

A PHM of the highest order.

Assuming there's something to the Lafferty story, and Isma and others and bringing in the new guy, it must be extremely time consuming.

Coburg Hearts
3 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Where have you been hiding?

Was just going to ask the same question.

Coburg Hearts
3 hours ago, BigC said:

Add the fact the far too many supporters seem to think signing him has given them a green light to turn the Mini-Hun behaviour to eleven and I’ll be delighted to swap him for lots of cash that will make it easier to sign a quality replacement.

Kyle Lafferty must be the first player to be condemned because of what supporters sing about him. Dearie me.

Coburg Hearts
3 hours ago, Slevinkelevra said:

Am i allowed to post rumours or not?? Ah will do it anyways...

Not itk at all, but the rumour i had heard was that the red hand celebration v celtic was not well received, apparent attitude issues also which the club fear may have a negative impact on the youth players.  This was the story i got on sunday from somone who knows someone.said person is a hibee though ao probably crap.

You got the highlighted part correct.

If at the age of 30 Lafferty has not achieved financial security due to his well publicised off-field problem, he would be open to any big pay day at this stage of his career, he will not get many more. His apparent love for Hearts will not come into it, given Hearts may also be keen to move him on, if indeed he is now being viewed as a bad influence. Whether true or not I trust CL to do the right thing for the club on this one. If he stays and gives 100% on and off the field, fine, if he goes we make some money and replace ( I am sure we have potential targets ) and move on. I do not see it as de-railing our long-term plans. It is football rumour, some true , some fake news.

Guttted. However, if there is something to do with his baggage going on behind the scenes then I trust the club to do the best for the greater good. 

If Hearts can get £1m for him and he gets a 3yr deal that takes him from say £5k a week to £25k a week, I'd imagine he'll be gone. 

Those figures are just made up obviously.

He's a decent player, seems to love the club and gives everything but he's replaceable and I think CL could use £1m very shrewdly. He knows what we need and I'd imagine he has a good idea of how to achieve it.

I'd miss Kyle but that might be a very good deal for him and his family.

6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

No smoke without fire on this occasion I'm afraid folks.

What do you think the chances of him actually going are bud? and do you think it would be decent fee?

We better play hardball. Guys on a 18 month contract. If they are  serious stump up 1.5M at least. 

I really like laff and him and naisy up top excites me so moving him on is daft unless they money is big. No point building a squad if you punt your better player for the sake of it when your teams just starting to take shape and look good. 

Disser Pointon

If we can get good money for him then I think we can use it to improve the squad but the big problem is that the window is about to close leaving us with little or no time unless we have someone lined up. We can't afford to go into the last half of the season with no Laff and no replacement. 

Jambof3tornado

Guy is under contract so why are they even going public about wanting him?

I hope he stays. We know what he can do, more important he stays if isma and stockton move on.

Craig Levein does not covet players. If the right thing for Heart of Midlothian is to sell Kyle Lafferty then he will be sold.  Heart of Midlothian were here long before Kyle Lafferty and Heart of Midlothian will be here long after he has gone.

6 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I'd take anything north of £500k. It's a weird one with Lafferty. He's been good and he seems to have taken to Hearts but I can't ever shake it out of my head how I know if I ever met him I'd think he was complete bellend. ?

Quite the opposite, he took time out to meet another kickback member and his family up at ORIAM and even went in to see Gordon to get one of the kids a match shirt to sign. Was a nice surprise, especially as most believe him to be exactly as you describe.

In the last few days Isme, Cole and Kyle linked away meaning front 4 shipped in January if we include Jamie.

if it comes to fruition then it's going to be a mental last week of the window- even more so far if Nowak, Martin and other fringe players move.

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

In fairness to Neilson I always had the impression that he was extremely hard working and diligent as our head coach.  He had a DoF however so didn't have to spend hours talking to agents etc.

Levein is doing all of that although I expect he delegates a lot of the day to day training and coaching.

Long winded way of saying that I think he must be working extremely long hours to get things right on the park.

A PHM of the highest order.

Assuming there's something to the Lafferty story, and Isma and others and bringing in the new guy, it must be extremely time consuming.

Well before Craig took over the managers position, I was up at ORIAM on a freezing wet January night with the u20’s. In tracksuit on the sidelines were, Levein, Robertson, Kirk and Daly with Colquhoun watching and Darren Murray taking the session. This was an extra session ending around 2200. That is the level of dedication and hard work that is producing our current level of young stars.

This has nothing to do with Hearts wanting to punt him imo It's simply another club targeting our player . 

If they offer us an acceptable offer and Kyle the wages we can't afford to pay he will go , simple. 

the jambo poet

If he goes he goes. Has he honestly been as good as everyone wanted/expected him to be? For the wages he's on I wanted more. Speaks volumes when Levein played him on the right and Isma up front. Says to me that Isma was our top striker and he's offski too. Add to that his wages, baggage etc.

I will also add that he seems to run himself into the ground in certain games and appears lackadaisical in others. He's done brilliantly against Celtic and then gets stupidly sent off against Aberdeen, both of which are oldco's biggest rivals. Is there still an attachment there? We need/needed him to show up for all our games. I will also add that the service to him hasn't been great at times but between watching him and Isma try and control/hold a ball up at times was really very trying.

Good luck to the lad whatever happens.

Would be pretty disappointed if true, seemed like there was a lot of respect both ways.

Could be a hectic 5 days !

letsalldothebeattie

I hope he doesn’t go I’ve loved seeing him in the Maroon but given his gambling debt I can’t blame him for moving for one last big pay day. 

Money talks and thats how this will work. 1m plus and Sunderland can try and convince him to leave. He wants to stay then he will stay we commited as did he to a contract.. if he was to leave 1m plus could go a long way to bringing some decent talent in 

fabienleclerq

I like Lafferty, I think his enthusiasm on the pitch would be hard to replace . We have been crying out for someone like him who will push the limits to win. With that comes the risk off the park, I'm fine with that.

Sunderland paid £13m for a midfielder recently so in a window notorious for inflated prices Id be wanting a decent wedge for a player with 18 months on his contract.

7 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Cheers. You may have noticed its actually something I've called into question numerous times about Lafferty over a period of months so this surprises me little. Craig Levein (and indeed Ann Budge) in my view have backed Kyle Lafferty big time, at least publicly but given that the other experienced heads we have been bringing in are free of baggage it stands to reason they don't want any perceived bad eggs in the dressing room. Particularly as we are throwing teenagers into the first team environment (with success) left, right and centre. If they can make some decent coin from Lafferty I'm sure they feel his reasonable not stunning contribution can be surpassed by others Levein can target. Just my take on it.

hard to argue with that.

Jambof3tornado

To lose Kyle before we witness what he and naismith can do together in maroon will be tragic.

He stays unless it's silly money, £2m plus.

Going against the grain here but I would be happy to see him move on espically for money.

I like him as a person and he gets Hearts but being totally objective he doesn't contribute enough for my liking. However wouldn't be gutted if he stayed either though.

Just hope any new striker is an upgrade on Kyle.

Lafferty should stay. Great player for us. Great tallisman. Hoping he can link up with Naismith. I want to see that. Hes said himself he wants to stay. I have not heard he unsettles the dressing room or doest get on with CL or anything. Cant understand why some on here are keen to see the back of him. 

Archived