'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Re. the last paragraph, David....I don't know how to break this to you, but.....!

If we stick with our current squad, we are in big trouble. I'm not calling for World Cup Stars... Just simple basics like a left footed left back, who can hold his place in the team on merit and won't require to have his contract paid off 6 months after signing!!

It looks like on Saturday we are back to a dynamic midfield duo of Cowie and Buaben!!!  As I’ve said we also have no left back, no width and no pace... and a striker signed from the English Leagues who hasn’t looked like breaking his duck all season.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ryder said:

So not a relegation battle then?

We’re currently one of 7 teams who could conceivably finish bottom 2. At some stage in the next 10-12 matches we’ll need to take ourselves out of that group. We’re in a battle to avoid the battle. If your not looking at our form and at least raising an eyebrow of concern you are deluded. Something has to change for the better soon or we are in trouble. . That is an undeniable fact.

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Firstly I have not predicted we are going to be relegated - I HAVE predicted that unless things improve dramatically we are in for a battle, and COULD be relegated!

As I have told you - regardless of my "predictions" or opinion of our current management and team, I NEVER bet against Hearts!   Not difficult to understand really, even for you.

Which mirrors what most, if not all, have being saying. No one at this stage has said we are definitely going back to the Championship, but many have mentioned that things need to change or it just isn't beyond possibility we could be dragged into a relegation fight which might not be survived. Nothing is happening on the park at the moment to suggest anything else.

39 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

We’re currently one of 7 teams who could conceivably finish bottom 2. At some stage in the next 10-12 matches we’ll need to take ourselves out of that group. We’re in a battle to avoid the battle. If your not looking at our form and at least raising an eyebrow of concern you are deluded. Something has to change for the better soon or we are in trouble. . That is an undeniable fact.

That sir is very well put!

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

We're also one of 7 teams that could conceivably finish top 4 - assume Aberdeen, Celtic & Sevco are top 3 in whatever order, then its Hibs, County, Killie, Dundee, Motherwell, Us, and Hamilton in that battle. Aberdeen could also fall away a wee bit when McInnes leaves.

St J and Thistle look to be irredeemably shite this year.

The bit in bold is true, but it's true for every team everywhere to some degree - if results don't improve then a team's position suffers.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Your social corruption disgusts me.;)

It's odd those most vociferous among us regarding our ''relegation battle'', the individuals virtually erect at the thought of us being in one and voicing their confidence thus, have gone strangely quiet at the prospect of making 330 quid from you, BDH and I.

If we get beat the next two games it will be £25.

Image result for sneeky image

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

We're also one of 7 teams that could conceivably finish top 4 - assume Aberdeen, Celtic & Sevco are top 3 in whatever order, then its Hibs, County, Killie, Dundee, Motherwell, Us, and Hamilton in that battle. Aberdeen could also fall away a wee bit when McInnes leaves.

The bit in bold is true, but it's true for every team everywhere to some degree - if results don't improve then a team's position suffers.

It's sad on a football forum this needs to be pointed out.

It's like poor results impact league position and vice versa. Who would have guessed it?

3 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

So we’re in the pre-relegation battle battle? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Aren’t we ?

Dunno, maybe we’re in the pre-pre relegation battle battle battle? 

Bridge of Djoum
7 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Firstly I have not predicted we are going to be relegated - I HAVE predicted that unless things improve dramatically we are in for a battle, and COULD be relegated!

As I have told you - regardless of my "predictions" or opinion of our current management and team, I NEVER bet against Hearts!   Not difficult to understand really, even for you.

Haha!

Hilarious coming from a guy who can't get his head round the concept of ''personal'' and the meaning of ad hominem despite using it in repeated posts.

You do yourself no favours there, kiddo.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Dunno, maybe we’re in the pre-pre relegation battle battle battle? 

You’re not concerned whatever it is huh ?

I dont see anybody saying we will definitely be in the bottom two: if anyone is, then they are clearly wrong.

Similarly, anybody laughing off worries about ending up in a relegation fight is also wrong. 

3 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

It's like poor results impact league position and vice versa. Who would have guessed it?

Too many interlopers. 

4 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

When do these battles start?

Image result for funny fight gif

When the team is ready to start battling I imagine

Perth to Paisley

Read a few posts from this thread ..... basically it’s saying if any team doesn’t win games it’s in a relegation battle . ... no s hit Sherlock 

next

August Landmesser
18 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Read a few posts from this thread ..... basically it’s saying if any team doesn’t win games it’s in a relegation battle . ... no s hit Sherlock 

next

Indeed. Close the thread.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Ryder said:

So not a relegation battle then?

Lol

**** me it's like lessons for loonies.

A team that doesn't win and gets beat- could get relegated.

However, after much trauma, no one thinks that will happen to us.

This thread Should now self destruct in 5,4,....

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Perth to Paisley said:

next

In other news the cat goes meow and the cow goes moo.

Edit- my cat just went ****ing moo, shat myself.

4 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Lol

**** me it's like lessons for loonies.

A team that doesn't win and gets beat- could get relegated.

However, after much trauma, no one thinks that will happen to us.

This thread Should now self destruct in 5,4,....

It’s very funny actually. More moving of the goalposts than the halftime heroes. :lol:

WhenTheHeartsWentUp
6 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Regarding St Johnstone we're both on 18 points right now...

Also not sure how Motherwell and the vermin are being lumped in with 11th place County, the gap in points between those clubs is pushing on 15 last time I checked

3 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I dont see anybody saying we will definitely be in the bottom two: if anyone is, then they are clearly wrong.

Similarly, anybody laughing off worries about ending up in a relegation fight is also wrong. 

Yip.

As Hearts fans we've largely not had the worry of relegation in our history. It's happened obviously but it is a rarity.

But you do have to learn from history. It's been pointed out already that we had a very good team in 98-99. We got in a severe rut that we only started to come out of in March that season.

Up until that win at Tannadice, and even beyond for another few matches until we saw a good run of results, it was squeaky bum time.

Like confidence and momentum makes players feel invincible and the victories just roll, struggling to score and not winning alot saps morale. 

Its too early to start having concerns but even just now we are looking for big characters to drag the team into a run of good results.

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Yip.

As Hearts fans we've largely not had the worry of relegation in our history. It's happened obviously but it is a rarity.

But you do have to learn from history. It's been pointed out already that we had a very good team in 98-99. We got in a severe rut that we only started to come out of in March that season.

Up until that win at Tannadice, and even beyond for another few matches until we saw a good run of results, it was squeaky bum time.

Like confidence and momentum makes players feel invincible and the victories just roll, struggling to score and not winning a lot sucks morale. 

Its too early to start having concerns but even just now we are looking for big characters to drag the team into a run of good results.

Indeed. We are complaining about players being injured (who have previously been slated as being a waste of space: Jamie & Djoum), just imagine if Berra was injured or suspended........ 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If you hadn’t spent months telling us all how fine and dandy it is at Hearts then you’d be in a position to mock others.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If you hadn’t spent months telling us all how fine and dandy it is at Hearts then you’d be in a position to mock others.

I’m sorry but the deflection won’t work here. We are not in a relegation battle. :rofl:

Now we have near enough a full squad, we are back at Tynie, the players are giving more or less 100%, but results and performances are still poor. It is logical therefor to assume there is little improvement to come. After plan ''A'' failed we turned to experience in desperation, now we have a high wage bill and players with little or no sell-on value whose best days are behind them. Plan ''B'' is now looking like a bigger disaster. A relegation battle is now a real possibility. We had the chance to get a real manager in after Cathro but decided to stay with the DOF's '' Big Plan''. We are in a hole and continue to dig, scrap it and get attention back where it matters, the first team. If our academy is to be as fruitful as we are promised, great, but it will not solve our current problems. Craig Levein says he will need 2 transfer windows, he has though not bought himself that time, and January has to see our squad boosted in quality so we can be looking up the league instead of down, as we should be. It is time for our DOF to step up, if he can, no more excuses please.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I still think we'll be fine.

Not sure about dandy now, tho.

It's a relegation battle thread, we are not in a relegation battle.

Btw, for clarification-6th is "fine", 4th would be dandy at this time.

47 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Great. We’ll get back to you for a sit rep when we are 8th or 4th, whichever comes first

Dusk_Till_Dawn
48 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Both would indicate that we are going backwards

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Great. We’ll get back to you for an update when we are 8th or 4th, whichever comes first

It's not great, above 3rd would be great.

Thought I'd explained fine and dandy.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We were 5th last year.

4th would be a step forward.

6th would be a step backwards.

This thread is really about going back to basics for some.

Feels like one of the programmes my toddler daughter would watch about colours or numbers.

Just call me Duggae.

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We were 5th last year.

Feels like one of the programmes my toddler daughter would watch about colours or numbers.

Just call me Duggae.

Wow, you are actually a grown man? :lol: I honestly thought you were early teens or something.

13 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Great. We’ll get back to you for a sit rep when we are 8th or 4th, whichever comes first

Good idea. We might actually be in a pre-relegation battle battle by that point. :rofl:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We were 5th last year.

Just call me Duggae.

We’re 11 points off 4th Einstein so we won’t be finishing there. You seem rather hard of thinking about what’s going on at the club. Maybe you learnt about football via FIFA?

13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

And this is new or a cause for great gnashing of teeth how exactly. Obviously it's disappointing but you have to winder how long some folk on here have followed Hearts. As long as I've been a Hearts fan we've never managed to see constant improvement. In fact any time we do finish well I always have a sinking feeling about the next season. For example, here's a snapshot of typical ups and downs in the life of a Jambo, starting during a time of upheaval like recently:

84/85 - 7th

85/86 - 2nd

86/87 - 5th

87/88 - 2nd

88/89 - 6th

89/90 - 3rd

90/91 - 5th

91/92 - 2nd

92/93 - 5th

The year after winning the cup in 98 and finishing 3rd we finished 6th and went out the cup early doors. Even under Romanov we had 8th then 3rd then 6th then 3rd then 5th before it all went to pot with admin.

That's why sensible Jambos knew that no matter what football Neilson's team was playing a title then 3rd then possibly 3rd again was unheard of consistency. And if we throw the toys out the pram any time we finish 7th, 8th or, the horrors, 4th we wouldn't;t have experienced some of the great seasons listed above. You need to give decent managers time to turn things around. Neilson and Levein both proved themselves decent managers. Some fans weirdly lost patience with Neilson because they seemed to think Hearts always sees constant improvement. Levein has a worse record but even if we di finish 4th or 8th, tat really doesn't;t mean we couldn't;t have a good season with the same manager next year. The above proves that conclusively. IN none of those 6th and 5th place finishes years did I think we'd have a season like we did the following year.

Once you accept that football works in cycles especially for a club like ours, life as a Jambo becomes much easier, trust me.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, socrates82 said:

And this is new or a cause for great gnashing of teeth how exactly. Obviously it's disappointing but you have to winder how long some folk on here have followed Hearts. As long as I've been a Hearts fan we've never managed to see constant improvement. In fact any time we do finish well I always have a sinking feeling about the next season. For example, here's a snapshot of typical ups and downs in the life of a Jambo, starting during a time of upheaval like recently:

84/85 - 7th

85/86 - 2nd

86/87 - 5th

87/88 - 2nd

88/89 - 6th

89/90 - 3rd

90/91 - 5th

91/92 - 2nd

92/93 - 5th

The year after winning the cup in 98 and finishing 3rd we finished 6th and went out the cup early doors. Even under Romanov we had 8th then 3rd then 6th then 3rd then 5th before it all went to pot with admin.

That's why sensible Jambos knew that no matter what football Neilson's team was playing a title then 3rd then possibly 3rd again was unheard of consistency. And if we throw the toys out the pram any time we finish 7th, 8th or, the horrors, 4th we wouldn't;t have experienced some of the great seasons listed above. You need to give decent managers time to turn things around. Neilson and Levein both proved themselves decent managers. Some fans weirdly lost patience with Neilson because they seemed to think Hearts always sees constant improvement. Levein has a worse record but even if we di finish 4th or 8th, tat really doesn't;t mean we couldn't;t have a good season with the same manager next year. The above proves that conclusively. IN none of those 6th and 5th place finishes years did I think we'd have a season like we did the following year.

Three words - five year plan.

Those weren’t my words btw.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We’re 11 points off 4th Einstein so we won’t be finishing there. You seem rather hard of thinking about what’s going on at the club. Maybe you learnt about football via FIFA?

11points

Oh well, there can't possibly be enough games to play in order to accumulate enough points to reduce and over take that.

Being Einstein, I just worked it out- there is.

Don't know where you learnt about football.

4th would be a step backwards.. from 5th?

22 games left.. but we can't make up 11 points?

Not to factor in form, confidence, transfer window etc.

Maybe it's just your maths that is terrible, maybe.

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Aye and what year are we in? I've said this before but in a way Levein (and Neilson and maybe even Budge as some lunatics are now having a go at her) have been victims of their successful start. The 5 year plan was to get promotion in 2 years, back in Europe in another two and back where we used to be (solid, consistent 3rd in Scotland more often than most and maybe even a sneaky 2nd) within the 5 years. We achieved that aim in just two to 2.5 years! Way ahead of schedule. The rest of the plan involved revamping the youth system and getting the ground and fan ownership sorted  - all in good shape as far as I'm aware. The only thing we've done badly is the cups, and funnily enough that's also coincided with some pretty unlucky cup draws. We didn't get Hibs in the cup once during our 22 in a row run for example and I don't remember getting Celtic so often in early rounds.

Did you really think the 5 year plan was constantly improving our league position and cup record? Because that would be a first for us. Would you have been happier if we'd finished 4th after promotion, then got 3rd just so you could say we're constantly improving?

Just look at our record I posted above. That's the kind of club we've always been and it's worth pointing out at the same time we've better than everyone else outside the OF over the long term, even with all those 5ths and 6ths. Some have either forgotten or are too young.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Aye, but with your maths you'll have in year 2 or year 45- you're getting 4,5,6 mixed up?!

This season isn't over yet, Could still go other way with Motherwell, saints and hibs to play soon.

These results will, imo determine whether we are scrambling for top 6 or can have real hope of 4th and claw back 5th sooner rather than later.

Motherwell and hibs will not be consistent over a full season, if they are and get 60-70 points then fair enough, but I still think we can look up rather than down.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Aye and what year are we in? I've said this before but in a way Levein (and Neilson and maybe even Budge as some lunatics are now having a go at her) have been victims of their successful start. The 5 year plan was to get promotion in 2 years, back in Europe in another two and back where we used to be (solid, consistent 3rd in Scotland more often than most and maybe even a sneaky 2nd) within the 5 years. We achieved that aim in just two years! The rest of the plan involved revamping the youth system and getting the ground and fan ownership sorted  - all in good shape as far as I'm aware. The only thing we've done badly is the cups, and funnily enough that's also coincided with some pretty unlucky cup draws. We didn't get Hibs in the cup once during our 22 in a row run for example and I don't remember getting Celtic so often in early rounds.

Did you really think the 5 year plan was constantly improving our league position and cup record? Because that would be a first for us.

I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe.

We’ve achieved two of this which is great (the main stand especially). But we’ve lost control of the football side in a big way and this squad are in trouble. I’ll confidently predict that if we’re to turn the corner the rest of the five year plan can’t involve Levein or his set-up.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

Aye and what year are we in? I've said this before but in a way Levein (and Neilson and maybe even Budge as some lunatics are now having a go at her) have been victims of their successful start. The 5 year plan was to get promotion in 2 years, back in Europe in another two and back where we used to be (solid, consistent 3rd in Scotland more often than most and maybe even a sneaky 2nd) within the 5 years. We achieved that aim in just two years! The rest of the plan involved revamping the youth system and getting the ground and fan ownership sorted  - all in good shape as far as I'm aware. The only thing we've done badly is the cups, and funnily enough that's also coincided with some pretty unlucky cup draws. We didn't get Hibs in the cup once during our 22 in a row run for example and I don't remember getting Celtic so often in early rounds.

Did you really think the 5 year plan was constantly improving our league position and cup record? Because that would be a first for us.

PS - yes the five year plan should be about improving our league position and cup record, otherwise WTF is this all about?

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Wow, you are actually a grown man? :lol: I honestly thought you were early teens or something.

Great stuff- as usual from you.

I'm guessing, in life you probably get many things wrong, why break that habit on a football forum.

Keep up the good work.

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe.

We’ve achieved two of this which is great (the main stand especially). But we’ve lost control of the football side in a big way and this squad are in trouble. I’ll confidently predict that if we’re to turn the corner the rest of the five year plan can’t involve Levein or his set-up.

Not year by year it wasn't. We budgeted for 2 years in the Championship. And then our target for the first year after promotion was top 6. We shifted the targets upwards - to Budge and Levein's credit - and also upped our budget after we had that initial success. However that involved turning over a lot of the squad to improve it which has turned out to be a bad thing. As I said I honestly think they're victims of their early success that raised expectations in some of our more excitable and impatient fans.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

PS - yes the five year plan should be about improving our league position and cup record, otherwise WTF is this all about?

We did for two years.

Went backwards last year.

This year..?

Give cl time to rectify the mistake that was Cathro.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

As I understood it, it was a realistic plan to stabilise the club by fan ownership so we could push on from there. It involved living within our means for a while rather than spending big to try to force success on the park. Similar to Fergus McCann's Celtic plan. He got lots of stick as well. And the fans now having a go at Budge are as embarrassing as those Celtic fans.

By the way, McCann's plan - as I say hugely criticised at the time by Celtic fans - got Celtic to where they are today. Without that they could have imploded like Rangers did.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not year by year it wasn't. We budgeted for 2 years in the Championship. And then our target for the first year after promotion was top 6. We shifted the targets upwards - to Budge and Levein's credit - and also upped our budget after we had that initial success. However that involved turning over a lot of the squad to improve it which has turned out to be a bad thing. As I said I honestly think they're victims of their early success that raised expectations in some of our more excitable and impatient fans.

The thing is, it’s not so much the league position i’m pissed off about. It’s the poor state of our squad, which is undeniable and owes a lot to our director of football.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

As I understood it, it was a realistic plan to stabilise the club by fan ownership so we could push on from there. It involved living within our means for a while rather than spending big to try to force success on the park. Similar to Fergus McCann's Celtic plan. He got lots of stick as well. And the fans now having a go at Budge are as embarrassing as those Celtic fans.

I’m not having a go at Budge. She’s done a terrific job.

Archived