'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The thing is, it’s not so much the league position i’m pissed off about. It’s the poor state of our squad, which is undeniable and owes a lot to our director of football.

I agree but I don't believe Levein made the final decision on all the players we have signed. This is not his squad yet no matter how much some people want to believe the DoF chose who to sign over the last few years.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe.

We’ve achieved two of this which is great (the main stand especially). But we’ve lost control of the football side in a big way and this squad are in trouble. I’ll confidently predict that if we’re to turn the corner the rest of the five year plan can’t involve Levein or his set-up.

We planned to get promoted within two seasons so your theory on our five year plan falls apart on year one. The main stand was never part of the original plan either, so that another tomato in the coupon right there. We had reestablished ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic in year two and three, but (no idea if you were one of them) folk wanted our manager punted because they points we were hoovering up weren’t ‘stylish’ enough. :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m not having a go at Budge. She’s done a terrific job.

I know. Even just having a plan is unusual in Scottish football!

But my point is if you pick any 5 year period, when have we ever experienced constant year on year improvement? When has any club outside the OF for that matter? We're always one or 2 good, one bad, and a couple of mehs. Or if we're lucky a meh replaces a bad.

Bazzas right boot

Giving the relegation dog fight we are apparently in,When we chucking out

" We'll support you evermore..."

Gid, song that. Benifit of being shite is you get to sing this. Every cloud.

19 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

But my point is if you pick any 5 year period, when have we ever experienced constant year on year improvement? When has any club outside the OF for that matter? We're always one or 2 good, one bad, and a couple of mehs. Or if we're lucky a meh replaces a bad.

This.

The only team I can think of who made great strides, season after season, was the sheep in the early 80's....maybe the arabs as well to an extent. 

The rest are on a perpetual rollercoaster !

Dusk_Till_Dawn
38 minutes ago, Ryder said:

We planned to get promoted within two seasons so your theory on our five year plan falls apart on year one. The main stand was never part of the original plan either, so that another tomato in the coupon right there. We had reestablished ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic in year two and three, but (no idea if you were one of them) folk wanted our manager punted because they points we were hoovering up weren’t ‘stylish’ enough. :rofl:

It's not a timeline numb nuts, it's a list of things which (personally) I think the club would have aimed to achieve in that five-year time frame. I very much doubt the Main Stand wasn't in their minds at the outset as a longer-term goal.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
39 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

But this comes back to the bigger issue - I think we are where we are because of some awful recruitment and management on the footballing side, not because of the natural flow of things in the SPL. And I think Levein should answer for that.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But this comes back to the bigger issue - I think we are where we are because of some awful recruitment and management on the footballing side, not because of the natural flow of things in the SPL. And I think Levein should answer for that.

Cathro was Sacked.

Cl was effectively demoted to manager.

If he doesn't sort it out?

He has answered for it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Cathro was Sacked.

Cl was effectively demoted to manager.

If he doesn't sort it out?

He has answered for it.

Not quickly enough.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not quickly enough.

So what do you want done now?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

So what do you want done now?

I want a change of the football set-up. I don't object to a DOF but our scouting and recruitment justifies a change, and not only in that position. I want a head coach who genuinely wants the job (no offence to Levein but this clearly wasn't his intended gig) and a fresh look at it all.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I want a change of the football set-up. I don't object to a DOF but our scouting and recruitment justifies a change, and not only in that position. I want a head coach who genuinely wants the job (no offence to Levein but this clearly wasn't his intended gig) and a fresh look at it all.

Ok.

You think changing cl now would improve things?

Who would over see this improvement, and why do you think this person would be better than cl?

Ok.

Who would over see this improvement, and why do you think this person would be better than cl?

Removing Levein from the Football side of things was the smart play after Cathro, removing the weed (Cathro) but leaving the root (Levein) was only ever going to see us continue our retchid run of form and bad feeling around the club.

August Landmesser
11 hours ago, WhenTheHeartsWentUp said:

Regarding St Johnstone we're both on 18 points right now...

Also not sure how Motherwell and the vermin are being lumped in with 11th place County, the gap in points between those clubs is pushing on 15 last time I checked

Because there are 66 points left to play for, and the quality of a team's performance can go down as well as up.

St J have 18 points largely because of their good start - like us in our first season back. They've been largely shite for weeks now., We're improving, slowly, but we're improving.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Ok.

I doubt it would improve things instantly (in fact it probably wouldn't) but we've no choice but to start thinking longer term now. The squad needs gutted, let's be honest, and there's no point pretending it can be repaired quickly, without the club spending more money than they've got.

As a name out of the hat,  David Moss? Worked in recruitment for Celtic, Palace, Swansea and recently left Huddersfield.

7 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Ok.

Not a huge fan of changing managers mid season. I think we'll need to let Levein patch things up with a few signings and get through to the end of the season unscathed where we take stock again. If we're changing manager and/or management structure again this summer then it needs to be done quickly and decisively so that the new team are in place at the start of summer, not the end of it

I wouldn't get rid of Levein right now, today. I might take a different view  after the next 4 or 5 games and I really hope Ann Budge has an envelope marked 'Plan B' tucked away in her secret drawer for use in January if needs be.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I doubt it would improve things instantly (in fact it probably wouldn't) but we've no choice but to start thinking longer term now. The squad needs gutted, let's be honest, and there's no point pretending it can be repaired quickly, without the club spending more money than they've got.

As a name out of the hat,  David Moss? Worked in recruitment for Celtic, Palace, Swansea and recently left Huddersfield.

To  much risk and if looking at a planned, long term change as you say, Escobar pretty much gets it , below. Summer would surely be the time to do that.

9 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Not a huge fan of changing managers mid season. I think we'll need to let Levein patch things up with a few signings and get through to the end of the season unscathed where we take stock again. If we're changing manager and/or management structure again this summer then it needs to be done quickly and decisively so that the new team are in place at the start of summer, not the end of it

I wouldn't get rid of Levein right now, today. I might take a different view  after the next 4 or 5 games and I really hope Ann Budge has an envelope marked 'Plan B' tucked away in her secret drawer for use in January if needs be.

I tend to agree.

With that in mind, Should folk not get fully behind the team?

16 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Removing Levein from the Football side of things was the smart play after Cathro, removing the weed (Cathro) but leaving the root (Levein) was only ever going to see us continue our retchid run of form and bad feeling around the club.

That's not an answer unless you have a time machine and offers nothing as a solution going forward.

4 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I tend to agree.

With that in mind, Should folk not get fully behind the team?

Ideally yes. And by and large folk at the games DO get behind the team. What is said on here and elsewhere online makes no difference whatsoever.

Attendances are already dropping off though and that's got to be a worry for season ticket time. We should be looking at boosting the ST numbers to around the 17,000 mark, not having to hope that it doesn't dip below 12,500, which it could easily do given some of the shite we've had to endure this season. I don't see how we do that with Levein in place and the squad that he, at the very least, assisted in assembling, being so poor.

15 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Haha!

Hilarious coming from a guy who can't get his head round the concept of ''personal'' and the meaning of ad hominem despite using it in repeated posts.

You do yourself no favours there, kiddo.

Hilarious right enough - coming from a guy who posts about (as yet unknown) JKB "Foamers" who seemingly like to touch each other, and he is giving me a lecture on grammatical nuances !!   :laugh:

Digging a hole there, kiddo! 

7 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Ideally yes. And by and large folk at the games DO get behind the team. What is said on here and elsewhere online makes no difference whatsoever.

Attendances are already dropping off though and that's got to be a worry for season ticket time. We should be looking at boosting the ST numbers to around the 17,000 mark, not having to hope that it doesn't dip below 12,500, which it could easily do given some of the shite we've had to endure this season. I don't see how we do that with Levein in place and the squad that he, at the very least, assisted in assembling, being so poor.

But we have a lovely new stand!!!!

1 hour ago, socrates82 said:

Not year by year it wasn't. We budgeted for 2 years in the Championship. And then our target for the first year after promotion was top 6. We shifted the targets upwards - to Budge and Levein's credit - and also upped our budget after we had that initial success. However that involved turning over a lot of the squad to improve it which has turned out to be a bad thing. As I said I honestly think they're victims of their early success that raised expectations in some of our more excitable and impatient fans.

Great to know that we are bang on course with regards to Levein's original 5 year plan.

Just now, wavydavy said:

But we have a lovely new stand!!!!

Incidenatlly for anyone that doesn't do sarcasim that's what the above was.

2 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Aye and what year are we in? I've said this before but in a way Levein (and Neilson and maybe even Budge as some lunatics are now having a go at her) have been victims of their successful start. The 5 year plan was to get promotion in 2 years, back in Europe in another two and back where we used to be (solid, consistent 3rd in Scotland more often than most and maybe even a sneaky 2nd) within the 5 years. We achieved that aim in just two to 2.5 years! Way ahead of schedule. The rest of the plan involved revamping the youth system and getting the ground and fan ownership sorted  - all in good shape as far as I'm aware. The only thing we've done badly is the cups, and funnily enough that's also coincided with some pretty unlucky cup draws. We didn't get Hibs in the cup once during our 22 in a row run for example and I don't remember getting Celtic so often in early rounds.

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, the 21st game of that run was fozzy scoring the winner at easter road in the cup.

41 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Because there are 66 points left to play for, and the quality of a team's performance can go down as well as up.

St J have 18 points largely because of their good start - like us in our first season back. They've been largely shite for weeks now., We're improving, slowly, but we're improving.

Struggling to see a meaningful post-Cathro improvement TBH.  Lost to Hibs, Rangers, Killie, and drawing with Partick, Ross County and Hamilton......was the slow improvement you refer to based on a 1-1 draw at home against Hamilton? 

2 hours ago, socrates82 said:

funnily enough that's also coincided with some pretty unlucky cup draws. We didn't get Hibs in the cup once during our 22 in a row run for example

See if you do nothing else today. Have a think for a few minutes about when it was that Hibs at home became an unlucky cup draw.

4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Struggling to see a meaningful post-Cathro improvement TBH.  Lost to Hibs, Rangers, Killie, and drawing with Partick, Ross County and Hamilton......was the slow improvement you refer to based on a 1-1 draw at home against Hamilton? 

Statistically, CL's record so far is identical to IC's.

The argument would be, is there enough on show to make us believe it can improve. Hand on heart, i'd say yes but not enough to finish where we want to this season or succeed in the Cup.

My genuine fear is that there will be nothing happening in January...I hope i'm very wrong.

August Landmesser
6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

A 1-1 draw with ten men.

The improvement is more in the performances, but the last three results are better than the previous three, because draws are better than defeats. What we desperately need is goals - with a decent/in-form finisher, we would be at least 7/8 points better off this season. 

But, if Cathro was still here there's not a chance that we'd have 18 points. We probably would not have double figures.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Statistically, CL's record so far is identical to IC's.

The argument would be, is there enough on show to make us believe it can improve. Hand on heart, i'd say yes but not enough to finish where we want to this season or succeed in the Cup.

My genuine fear is that there will be nothing happening in January...I hope i'm very wrong.

To some extent, if we're sticking with this set-up until the summer, I'd almost prefer if we did nothing with January, rather than let Levein oversee another influx of duds. But we do need some help next month, that's clear to see.

23 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

See if you do nothing else today. Have a think for a few minutes about when it was that Hibs at home became an unlucky cup draw.

Exactly!!!

All Out Attack
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

It's incredible how we all see this differently. 

I acknowledge your not a fan of changing  manager mid-season, however if we had done this last season, it would not have allowed an incompetent Cathro a close season to devistate our club. 

Change can be a really positive thing and should not be feared.

There is no room for sentimentality in football, is all about results, managers are ten a penny.

Just now we are making exactly the same mistake we made last season, by holding on to a manager and using blind faith over actual reality to justify it. Levein was a reasonable manager previously here, however that means diddlysquat. Ranieri won the EPL with Leicester and the following season he was in danger in taking them down. It's all about man management. A new manager saved them. 

Hearts getting a new manager before the window, making 2 or 3 signings, would unite the support and get an immediate team confidence boost. 

18 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

A 1-1 draw with ten men.

The improvement is more in the performances, but the last three results are better than the previous three, because draws are better than defeats. What we desperately need is goals - with a decent/in-form finisher, we would be at least 7/8 points better off this season. 

But, if Cathro was still here there's not a chance that we'd have 18 points. We probably would not have double figures.

You may be right with that - the Cathro appointment was verging on criminal.

Although the football (apart from the Aberdeen game) was dire, Levein did steady the ship and we ground our some decent results.  The problem is that the "slow improvement" that you refer to has petered out in the last 6 games!

On paper a 1-1 draw at home to Hamilton when down to 10 men is acceptable - that should not mask the fact that we were pretty clueless when we had 11 men on the park.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Incidenatlly for anyone that doesn't do sarcasim that's what the above was.

Aye, having a lovely new stand and our Tynecastle future confirmed is shite.

Knock it down. Budge oot.

Nb- also sarcasm.

23 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

It's incredible how we all see this differently. 

I acknowledge your not a fan of changing  manager mid-season, however if we had done this last season, it would not have allowed an incompetent Cathro a close season to devistate our club. 

Change can be a really positive thing and should not be feared.

There is no room for sentimentality in football, is all about results, managers are ten a penny.

Just now we are making exactly the same mistake we made last season, by holding on to a manager and using blind faith over actual reality to justify it. Levein was a reasonable manager previously here, however that means diddlysquat. Ranieri won the EPL with Leicester and the following season he was in danger in taking them down. It's all about man management. A new manager saved them. 

Hearts getting a new manager before the window, making 2 or 3 signings, would unite the support and get an immediate team confidence boost. 

Cathro should have been fired in March or April. We weren't in any trouble and it was already apparent was out of  his depth and at no stage did he 'have' the dressing room.

We're not going to sack Levein before the run of games up to the Hibs cup tie. Poor results and fan pressure might well forces Budge's hand on that after that set of games but the preferred option for me would be to keep him in place and hobble in to the end of the season without doing anything rash, without letting him spend serious money and without flirting with relegation. He should be told in February or March that he's not being retained. If we want to keep him as an administrator or academy director with no first team responsibilities I'm fine with that. It might save money keeping him in a limited role.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Cathro should have been fired in March or April. We weren't in any trouble and it was already apparent was out of  his depth and at no stage did he 'have' the dressing room.

We're not going to sack Levein before the run of games up to the Hibs cup tie. Poor results and fan pressure might well forces Budge's hand on that but the preferred option for me would be to keep him in place and hobble in to the end of the season without doing anything rash and without flirting with relegation. He should be told in February or March that he's not being retained. If we want to keep him as an administrator or academy director with no first team responsibilities I'm fine with that. It might save money keeping him in a limited role.

I agree.

And if we do well and end up 4th, he can stay on.

Win-win.

I agree.

Win-win.

If he gets 4th from this position I'd keep him on yes.

11 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I agree.

Win-win.

Deal  :thumbsup:

..........on the proviso that he also pumps Hubs oot the Cup!!!

All Out Attack
16 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

We're not going to sack Levein before the run of games up to the Hibs cup tie. Poor results and fan pressure might well forces Budge's hand on that after that set of games but the preferred option for me would be to keep him in place and hobble in to the end of the season without doing anything rash, without letting him spend serious money and without flirting with relegation. He should be told in February or March that he's not being retained. If we want to keep him as an administrator or academy director with no first team responsibilities I'm fine with that. It might save money keeping him in a limited role.

Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. I just can't see it panning out like this. 

3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It's not a timeline numb nuts, it's a list of things which (personally) I think the club would have aimed to achieve in that five-year time frame. I very much doubt the Main Stand wasn't in their minds at the outset as a longer-term goal.

“Numb nuts” :rofl:

It was a numbered list of five things that you suspect was part of a five year plan. If that wasn’t meant to represent a timeline then by god you did a fantastic job of disguising it as one.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Ryder said:

“Numb nuts” :rofl:

It was a numbered list of five things that you suspect was part of a five year plan. If that wasn’t meant to represent a timeline then by god you did a fantastic job of disguising it as one.

It was four man. Four.

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It was four man. Four.

It hardly validates your argument that you started talking about a five year plan and only managed to number four target points. Quite the opposite in fact, it sows seeds of doubt about your whole thought process:

“... I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe... “

Are you saying that those four targets were in random order, and no timeline applied? You even started the sentence with:

“... I think the five year plan was... “

You’re all over the shop, here. :lol:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

It hardly validates your argument that you started talking about a five year plan and only managed to number four target points. Quite the opposite in fact, it sows seeds of doubt about your whole thought process:

“... I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe... “

Are you saying that those four targets were in random order, and no timeline applied? You even started the sentence with:

“... I think the five year plan was... “

You’re all over the shop, here. :lol:

Evidently not. You're going to get promoted before you re-establish yourself in the SPL. You're going to re-establish yourself in the SPL before you qualify for Europe (I mean, I'm stating the f****** obvious here).

What I wasn't saying was that the aim was to get promoted inside year one, which is where you picked me up. But in general over five years I think those four things would have been on the agenda, including the redevelopment of the Main Stand (unless Ann had genuinely given it no thought prior to 2015).

What wasn't on the agenda was the cluster**** of recruitment which has reduced our squad to the level its at. I think that's safe to say.

11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Evidently not. You're going to get promoted before you re-establish yourself in the SPL. You're going to re-establish yourself in the SPL before you qualify for Europe (I mean, I'm stating the f****** obvious here).

What I wasn't saying was that the aim was to get promoted inside year one, which is where you picked me up. But in general over five years I think those four things would have been on the agenda, including the redevelopment of the Main Stand (unless Ann had genuinely given it no thought prior to 2015).

What wasn't on the agenda was the cluster**** of recruitment which has reduced our squad to the level its at. I think that's safe to say.

Ann was quoted as saying that at the end of the five year plan they hoped to have realistic plans in place for the febuilding of the main stand. We are actually ahead of schedule on that. 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Well quite... so you were applying a timeline. Clearly.

Here’s an article mentioning the five year plan and the new stand from 2015:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14122062.Hearts_to_stay_at_Tynecastle_as_Budge_reveals_plan_for_new_stand/

If I had the time and compulsion I’d find the articles from before then where Budge told us that she hadn’t planned on doing anything about the stand other than handing over the club in a good financial position to FoH. This would allow FoH to deal with the “challenges”. She then said that after we ended up well ahead of our five year rebuilding schedule, she started to look at the possibilities. 

6 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Well quite... so you were applying a timeline. Clearly.

Here’s an article mentioning the five year plan and the new stand from 2015:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14122062.Hearts_to_stay_at_Tynecastle_as_Budge_reveals_plan_for_new_stand/

If I had the time and compulsion I’d find the articles from before then where Budge told us that she hadn’t planned on doing anything about the stand other than handing over the club in a good financial position to FoH. This would allow FoH to deal with the “challenges”. She then said that after we ended up well ahead of our five year rebuilding schedule, she started to look at the possibilities. 

All is looking good off the park, and I am sure she is ahead of the off field targets she set in the 5 year plan she refers to.

With regards to on the park, she stated that season the target was a top 6 finish - we finished 3rd.

The following season she said that anything less than a 3rd place finish would be unacceptable or disappointing - we finished 5th.

This season I do not believe she stated any target - has she now scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets? 

Bristol jamboree 10

Best thing finish10th and start again next season.Not finishing in top 6will cost £1m.Three games sevco Celtic H1B5 and money for league place.A run in cup would offset some of that.Even that is not certain.Just have to see what happens in May.

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

All is looking good off the park, and I am sure she is ahead of the off field targets she set in the 5 year plan she refers to.

With regards to on the park, she stated that season the target was a top 6 finish - we finished 3rd.

The following season she said that anything less than a 3rd place finish would be unacceptable or disappointing - we finished 5th.

This season I do not believe she stated any target - has she now scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets? 

Pop down the corridor and chap up her door mate. I’m sure she won’t mind you asking her in person... be sure and tip-toe past big Craig’s door though, he’s liable to make a Graeme Hogg out of you. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Pop down the corridor and chap up her door mate. I’m sure she won’t mind you asking her in person... be sure and tip-toe past big Craig’s door though, he’s liable to make a Graeme Hogg out of you. :lol:

Ha ha - very good.    I did however ask a pertinent football question - if it was too difficult for you to answer best just ignore it - mate. 

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Ha ha - very good.    I did however ask a pertinent football question - if it was too difficult for you to answer best just ignore it - mate. 

Oh give over, it was meant as a wee humorous riposte to your incessant Levein agenda.

Your actual question was unclear. What are you asking me? :)

5 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Oh give over, it was meant as a wee humorous riposte to your incessant Levein agenda.

Your actual question was unclear. What are you asking me? :)

Didn't mention Levein in my post.

I would have thought I was pretty clear what I was asking - has Ann Budge scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets?

Archived