'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Didn't mention Levein in my post.

I would have thought I was pretty clear what I was asking - has Ann Budge scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets?

Shouldn’t imagine so mate. We’ve been ahead of plan at some points and behind at others... Doubt we just scrap the plan when we don’t achieve a goal, just like we wouldn’t have scrapped it when we were a year ahead of it. Probably works like a Gantt Chart or something. Things get rearranged to take in to account a change in the timeline, be that a positive or negative change. You’re probably asking the wrong bloke though... gie the old bursd a PM on Facebook messenger or something. :thumbsup:

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WhenTheHeartsWentUp
4 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

We're improving, slowly, but we're improving.

I'm sorry but I just find this laughable.

Levein's had 12 games so far, here's the first 6.

(H) Aberdeen D 0-0

(A) Hamilton W 2-1
(A) Thistle D 1-1

(A) Dundee L 2-1

(A) Ross County W 2-1

(H) St Johnstone W 1-0

Out of a possible 18 points, we picked up 11. Perfectly good form for a club like Hearts, even if the performances weren't that great. Ground out good wins at Hamilton and Dingwall, wins on the road have been a rarity recently for us.

But then look at the last 6.

(A) Hibs L 1-0

(H) Rangers L 3-1

(H) Kilmarnock L 2-1

(H) Thistle D 1-1

(H) County D 0-0

(H) Accies D 1-1

So a meek submission in the derby, a defeat at home to Rangers and then 4 games at home to four of the bottom five in the league. We've picked up three points from those four games. In what world are we actually improving? I'm desperate to know.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Ann was quoted as saying that at the end of the five year plan they hoped to have realistic plans in place for the febuilding of the main stand. We are actually ahead of schedule on that. 

We're ahead on all fronts.

Victim's of our own relative quick success.

This season can also be salvaged, folk righting it off  are nuts.

4 wins from 4th, full sc to play for. Not ideal, but hardly a right -off.

39 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Didn't mention Levein in my post.

I would have thought I was pretty clear what I was asking - has Ann Budge scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets?

I think you're being slightly disingenuous here with regard to the matter of the plan.  From what I can gather from your fine contribution on the new stand thread, you're in the construction industry.  I imagine you use plans all the time.  I imagine you - or someone else in the company - adapts those plans on a regular basis to take account of opportunities and risks as and when they occur.  And yet it would appear that the famous Ann Budge 5 Year Plan is a thing set in stone, incapable of being changed or adapted as opportunities and risks come along.  I would make a reasonable guess that the plan in place now bears little resemblance to what was envisioned.  Way ahead off the park; behind on it.  The first part of that is commendable and the second part can be fixed.

11 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We're ahead on all fronts.

Victim's of our own relative quick success.

This season can also be salvaged, folk righting it off  are nuts.

4 wins from 4th, full sc to play for. Not ideal, but hardly a right -off.

"Ahead on all fronts" - I do not believe for a minute that at this juncture of the 5 year plan Ann Budge envisaged that we would be struggling to stay in 6th, with yet another emergency re-building exercise required for this January window.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

"Ahead on all fronts" - I do not believe for a minute that at this juncture of the 5 year plan Ann Budge envisaged that we would be struggling to stay in 6th, with yet another emergency re-building exercise required for this January window.

This season ain't finished yet.

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Jesus Christ Thomaso, you don’t half make this difficult on yourself. See when you head round to hers to drop off the card and presents? Ask her yourself over a wee mug of mulled wine. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Haken said:

I think you're being slightly disingenuous here with regard to the matter of the plan.  From what I can gather from your fine contribution on the new stand thread, you're in the construction industry.  I imagine you use plans all the time.  I imagine you - or someone else in the company - adapts those plans on a regular basis to take account of opportunities and risks as and when they occur.  And yet it would appear that the famous Ann Budge 5 Year Plan is a thing set in stone, incapable of being changed or adapted as opportunities and risks come along.  I would make a reasonable guess that the plan in place now bears little resemblance to what was envisioned.  Way ahead off the park; behind on it.  The first part of that is commendable and the second part can be fixed.

I am in the construction industry.

Generally (where a Main Contractor is in place) the project programme is set in stone.  There will be opportunities and risks along the way, however the Project Director is fully responsible to deal with these and achieve the programme.

If he does not he is invariably fired.

August Landmesser
26 minutes ago, WhenTheHeartsWentUp said:

I'm sorry but I just find this laughable.

Levein's had 12 games so far, here's the first 6.

(H) Aberdeen D 0-0

(A) Hamilton W 2-1
(A) Thistle D 1-1

(A) Dundee L 2-1

(A) Ross County W 2-1

(H) St Johnstone W 1-0

Out of a possible 18 points, we picked up 11. Perfectly good form for a club like Hearts, even if the performances weren't that great. Ground out good wins at Hamilton and Dingwall, wins on the road have been a rarity recently for us.

But then look at the last 6.

(A) Hibs L 1-0

(H) Rangers L 3-1

(H) Kilmarnock L 2-1

(H) Thistle D 1-1

(H) County D 0-0

(H) Accies D 1-1

So a meek submission in the derby, a defeat at home to Rangers and then 4 games at home to four of the bottom five in the league. We've picked up three points from those four games. In what world are we actually improving? I'm desperate to know.

We're improving because we're playing better, the squad is getting better, players are developing better relationships, and we're creating more chances.

The main problem with football is that there are two teams on the park - Ross County are also much improved from when we were up in Dingwall, Killie are better than when we beat them, Accies are better.

Thistle are shite, but scored with their one shot on target.

tl;dr version; we are not in a relegation battle. We might be in March, but we might not be.

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Jesus Christ Thomaso, you don’t half make this difficult on yourself. See when you head round to hers to drop off the card and presents? Ask her yourself over a wee mug of mulled wine. :thumbsup:

:sleep1:Stop rambling Ryder

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

We're improving because we're playing better, the squad is getting better, players are developing better relationships, and we're creating more chances.

The main problem with football is that there are two teams on the park - Ross County are also much improved from when we were up in Dingwall, Killie are better than when we beat them, Accies are better.

tl;dr version; we are not in a relegation battle. We might be in March, but we might not be.

:spoton:

Just now, Thomaso said:

It was a lot shorter than your frequent cyber-menstruations about Levein. B)

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

:vrwow:

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Take his advice, give yourself a break, enjoy Hearts- whatever happens. Enjoy your past time of watching your team play. Plenty of things I need life  to stress over. At least try to enjoy Hearts, in football as in life there is always hope, no matter what.

Concentrate on your circle of influence, rather than your circle of concern. You'll feel much better and be happier .?

August Landmesser
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I was up in Dingwall, we were awful, but won (with ten men). I was at the County game at Tynie - we were much, much better and didn't win.

Football - it's a funny old game.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

If you don't think we've been better v pt and RC than against Killie or rangers I really don't think football is your thing.

We've been playing better at Tynecastle, results need to obviously follow- and soon.

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Take his advice, give yourself a break, enjoy Hearts- whatever happens. Enjoy your past time of watching your team play. Plenty of things I need life  to stress over. At least try to enjoy Hearts, in football as in life there is always hope, no matter what.

Concentrate on your circle of influence, rather than your circle of concern. You'll feel much better and be happier .?

:oohmatron: 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

I was up in Dingwall, we were awful, but won (with ten men). I was at the County game at Tynie - we were much, much better and didn't win.

Football - it's a funny old game.

Game of two half's as well, apparently.

WhenTheHeartsWentUp
9 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Again, I'm genuinely quite worried about what you're seeing. We had ONE shot on target on Saturday. Only two against both Killie and Thistle. The Ross County being the anomaly, and even then, we didn't do enough with the chances to win the game. Your positivity is bordering on naivety IMHO.

7 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

That is actually great advice Tosh  :thumbsup:.....unfortunately supporting Hearts on a stress free basis just does not come into the equation I am afraid....:rolleyes5:

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If you don't think we've been better v pt and RC than against Killie or rangers I really don't think football is your thing.

We've been playing better at Tynecastle, results need to obviously follow- and soon.

You are obviously the ultimate 'spaced oot' Hearts fan - wish I was more like you.

Happy to ride your wave of confidence to a top 4 finish, then you can post me a big fat "TOLD YOU SO!" at the end of the season!

August Landmesser
7 minutes ago, WhenTheHeartsWentUp said:

Again, I'm genuinely quite worried about what you're seeing. We had ONE shot on target on Saturday. Only two against both Killie and Thistle. The Ross County being the anomaly, and even then, we didn't do enough with the chances to win the game. Your positivity is bordering on naivety IMHO.

I'm touched that you're worried, but there's no need - I have no influence or control over what happens on or off the park at Tynie, so there's no need to fret about me.

As for naivety, I've seen a lot worse Hearts teams than this, my positivity is more like pragmatism tbh.

20 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Sorry, mate, that's taking optimism to a new level. Thistle deserved their point imo. In fact, most teams have deserved what they have got from us by being no more than average.

BRAVEHEART1874

Come on then all these experts / doom and gloom merchants ;)  please  tell us what teams are going to finish above us out of these 5 teams - partick, killie, ross county, dundee, hamilton ?

Yep correct, the answer will be none and that is without us signing any players in january  or winning a couple of games instead of draws.

Because incase you haven't noticed they are playing chit tae but we can improve they simply will not :) 

So no one is denying we can play better and win a couple but it is not a relegation battle 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Well quite... so you were applying a timeline. Clearly.

Here’s an article mentioning the five year plan and the new stand from 2015:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14122062.Hearts_to_stay_at_Tynecastle_as_Budge_reveals_plan_for_new_stand/

If I had the time and compulsion I’d find the articles from before then where Budge told us that she hadn’t planned on doing anything about the stand other than handing over the club in a good financial position to FoH. This would allow FoH to deal with the “challenges”. She then said that after we ended up well ahead of our five year rebuilding schedule, she started to look at the possibilities. 

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

41 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I agree that we're doing some things better than we were. Crisper passing, positivity and drive and determination have all improved since we went back to Tynecastle. But hell man, we're coming from a low ebb on many fronts and we've a long way to go before anyone can really label us as 'improved' to any significant extent.

Partick we were okay for 20 minutes, then went quiet, then scored just after half time, then fell out of the game due to Levein's tactics

Ross County was a strange one. Much better up to the part where we had to put the ball in the net. Should have won. Didn't though.

Hamilton was much the same but without making the chances and again we went too cautious after we scored.

All 3 of those teams offered virtually ZERO threat or real ambition for the whole 90 minutes. A team playing significantly better than our performances have been would have swept all 3 of them aside with ease.

So yes, some aspects have got a little better, but we're not beating very average to poor teams at home. 3 games running, not just a blip or a bit of bad luck.

13 minutes ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Come on then all these experts / doom and gloom merchants ;)  please  tell us what teams are going to finish above us out of these 5 teams - partick, killie, ross county, dundee, hamilton ?

Yep correct, the answer will be none and that is without us signing any players in january  or winning a couple of games instead of draws.

Because incase you haven't noticed they are playing chit tae but we can improve they simply will not :) 

So no one is denying we can play better and win a couple but it is not a relegation battle 

Right now I'd back every one of those teams at home to Hearts.

3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Indeed. We'll find out on Tuesday if we can manage one win out of five against the teams mentioned.

At home that is !

At their gaffs, we're done not too bad however.

August Landmesser
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

44 against 11? Even with our non-existunnt Laveen midfield it could get a bit crowded in the centre of the park...

portobellojambo1
32 minutes ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Someone above said that although we had played better recently against the teams lower than us in the league the reason we failed to beat them this time round despite us playing better than we did when we originally got victories against them is because they are playing better now than they did when we originally played them, i.e. they have improved even more than we have. So these other teams, by that suggestion have already improved, rather than simply will not. However, you have just added to confusion by saying we will improve, but they simply won't. It can't be both reasons, it has to be one or the other, i.e. that they have improved even more than us or there is no chance  they will ever improve, despite having already improved which is why despite our perceived improvement we didn't beat them. Of course it would be easy just to change one or two words and instead of saying we are playing better now than we did when we originally beat those teams but can't now, we can just be honest and say they are improving but we are not rather than they will not, when they have already proved they can. And I say this in the most non Hibernian way I can, because unlike their fans in the not too distant past, and a few HMFC fans now it would seem, I understand that while points make prizes they also help to prevent you from losing out. I don't want to go down the Hibernian route of saying as long as we look OK, are playing our way (if there is such a thing) but aren't winning I'm not fussy.

21 minutes ago, Boab said:

Indeed. We'll find out on Tuesday if we can manage one win out of five against the teams mentioned.

At home that is !

At their gaffs, we're done not too bad however.

Tuesday is a MUST WIN game of huge proportions IMO.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

That is actually great advice Tosh  :thumbsup:.....unfortunately supporting Hearts on a stress free basis just does not come into the equation I am afraid....:rolleyes5:

Lol, fair enough.

If we're still 3 points of the bottom or so in the last 5 games, I think there will be a few joining you.

I really think top 4 isn't out the question atm, but defeat to Motherwell and hibs this month will probably mean 5th or 6th at best.

Win these two games, add in the Dundee game and a draw or a win v saint's, we'll be cooking the gas.

Aberdeen away and Celtic would be bonus points, but if we've beaten hibs, Dundee and Motherwell we can approach Aberdeen with confidence.

Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Lol, fair enough.

If we're still 3 points of the bottom or so in the last 5 games, I think there will be a few joining you.

I really think top 4 isn't out the question atm, but defeat to Motherwell and hibs this month will probably mean 5th or 6th at best.

What n these two games, add in the Dundee game and a draw or a winger saint's, we'll be cooking the gas.

Aberdeen away and Celtic would be bonus points, but if we've beaten hibs, Dundee and Motherwell we can approach Aberdeen with confidence.

And if we dont win those, we simply talk about the next "must win" matches and call others pantwetters :smile:  

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Someone above said that although we had played better recently against the teams lower than us in the league the reason we failed to beat them this time round despite us playing better than we did when we originally got victories against them is because they are playing better now than they did when we originally played them, i.e. they have improved even more than we have. So these other teams, by that suggestion have already improved, rather than simply will not. However, you have just added to confusion by saying we will improve, but they simply won't. It can't be both reasons, it has to be one or the other, i.e. that they have improved even more than us or there is no chance  they will ever improve, despite having already improved which is why despite our perceived improvement we didn't beat them. Of course it would be easy just to change one or two words and instead of saying we are playing better now than we did when we originally beat those teams but can't now, we can just be honest and say they are improving but we are not rather than they will not, when they have already proved they can. And I say this in the most non Hibernian way I can, because unlike their fans in the not too distant past, and a few HMFC fans now it would seem, I understand that while points make prizes they also help to prevent you from losing out. I don't want to go down the Hibernian route of saying as long as we look OK, are playing our way (if there is such a thing) but aren't winning I'm not fussy.

Thistle and RC were poor, Should have beaten them.

Killie was 50/50- fair doos we missed our chance at 1-1, they taken thiers.

Hamilton , ten men for an hour- point ended up decent.

No a good return , I agree.

Kilie have picked up, that is clear the rest still looked poor imo .

Neither Dundee, killie, Hamilton, or  RC will end up above us imo.

We need to win a couple and soon, tho. But that's always been the case.

WhenTheHeartsWentUp
1 hour ago, BRAVEHEART1874 said:

Hibs fans said all of this in the season they went down, much to our general amusement. The drop can be very sudden if results don't go your way.

I think (and hope) you're right, but it's not the certainty you seem to assume it is. We've got the worst form in the league right now. If it continues over the next few weeks, in tougher fixtures than what we've just had (Motherwell, Celtic, St J Hibs, Aberdeen all to play before the break) - then I worry a little.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

And if we dont win those, we simply talk about the next "must win" matches and call others pantwetters :smile:  

Must win to give hope of 4th/5th is a bit different to say we must win to avoid relegation at this stage. One is being optimistic/ hopeful and the other one is being dramatic, imo.

If we're 15 points or so behind hibs at the break, don't think we'll pull that back.

If we can get to about 6 points or so, we'll have a good chance.

Within 6 points of hibs and humping them out the cup is my goal now by January,sigh.

I say hibs as they're 4th.

Ranger's and Aberdeen are out of our reach, this season.

2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Must win to give hope of 4th/5th is a bit different to say we must win to avoid relegation at this stage. One is being optimistic/ hopeful and the other one is being dramatic, imo.

If we're 15 points or so behind hibs at the break, don't think we'll pull that back.

If we can get to about 6 points or so, we'll have a good chance.

Within 6 points of hibs and humping them out the cup is my goal now by January,sigh.

I say hibs as they're 4th.

Ranger's and Aberdeen are out of our reach, this season.

So we arenr going to be higher than Hibs by the next derby???????? :huh2:

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

So we arenr going to be higher than Hibs by the next derby???????? :huh2:

Unlikely now, we've ****ed up our start to our home run. thankfully they also had a few poor results or could have been 15+ points above us.

Really comes down to us winning games as others will go through bad results, but if we can't string 2/3 wins together we won't close in on them. We haven't delivered these wins- yet.

Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

Unlikely now, we've ****ed up our start to our home run. thankfully they also had a few poor results or could have been 15+ points above us.

Really comes down to us winning games as others will go through bad results, but if we can't string 2/3 wins together we won't close in on them. We haven't delivered these wins- yet.

In all seriousness, the next two matches are crucial. 

We will lose to Celtic (as much as I would absolutely LOVE to end their unbeaten domestic record), and the remaining matches are all easily loseable. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

In all seriousness, the next two matches are crucial. 

We will lose to Celtic (as much as I would absolutely LOVE to end their unbeaten domestic record), and the remaining matches are all easily loseable. 

if we do beat Motherwell and Dundee then I'll look forward to the Celtic game.

if we **** these two games, the Celtic game will worry me more than usual. but **** it, we will end their unbeaten run....... in 2022

3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

if we do beat Motherwell and Dundee then I'll look forward to the Celtic game.

if we **** these two games, the Celtic game will worry me more than usual. but **** it, we will end their unbeaten run....... in 2022

I would settle for just beating Motherwell, Dundee and not losing to Hibs, the cup match is the absolute definition of a "must win", however. 

8 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

See if you do nothing else today. Have a think for a few minutes about when it was that Hibs at home became an unlucky cup draw.

A derby is always a tough tie, even just for the extra intensity, especially in the early round. Our many, many wins against Hibs are almost always hard-fought wins. It's the recent lack of fight that has seen them beat us recently.

Let's call it a potential banana skin if you don't like the word unlucky. I'd say the same for drawing any premiership side in the early rounds.

9 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Great to know that we are bang on course with regards to Levein's original 5 year plan.

Not sure it was just Levein's plan.

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

All is looking good off the park, and I am sure she is ahead of the off field targets she set in the 5 year plan she refers to.

With regards to on the park, she stated that season the target was a top 6 finish - we finished 3rd.

The following season she said that anything less than a 3rd place finish would be unacceptable or disappointing - we finished 5th.

This season I do not believe she stated any target - has she now scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets? 

She probably realised some dim people confuse aiming for something, ie a target, with an actual promise and guarantee that that's what will happen, and now just can't be arsed with it.

4 hours ago, Boab said:

Sorry, mate, that's taking optimism to a new level. Thistle deserved their point imo. In fact, most teams have deserved what they have got from us by being no more than average.

Partick were every bit as good as us and deserved their draw. I agree we should have beat Ross County but Hamilton should have beat us last week and would have done if not for a tremendous performance from our goalkeeper. 

This is our level at the moment we are no better and no worse than the 3 teams we have played at Tynecastle. 

Let’s wait and see after the home games against Motherwell, Celtic and Hibs. In my opinion we won’t beat any of them with this team. 

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

Partick were every bit as good as us and deserved their draw. I agree we should have beat Ross County but Hamilton should have beat us last week and would have done if not for a tremendous performance from our goalkeeper. 

This is our level at the moment we are no better and no worse than the 3 teams we have played at Tynecastle. 

Let’s wait and see after the home games against Motherwell, Celtic and Hibs. In my opinion we won’t beat any of them with this team. 

We should have comfortably beaten Aberdeen not that long ago so there's no reason this team can't put together a great performance like that again in the next few weeks. Extremely poor or unlucky finishing (ie absolute sitters being missed and hitting the bar and post) and very good goalkeeping in 2 or 3 games has cost us at least around 4-6 pts. It's feeling like one of these seasons where, although we are not playing well, we're also not getting any breaks at all, including from refs. It *should* even out but it has that damp squib of a season feeling all over it so far where we end up in 5th or something. We get one at least every 2 or 3 years in my time watching Hearts. Hoping for a couple of good signings in Jan but think the squad needs more work than that. One bright spot is youngsters being blooded, who could then kick on next season. If Levein goes, a new man would not put his faith in youngsters.

The talk of relegation though is genuinely mad, especially when we're not even half way.

God like creature

It makes you wonder if shelling out a couple of million on a few players could get us up a few places ?,

If we did get a a few quality players in plus moved on a few I think that would be the best we could hope for, the new players could then start to bed in for next season

(hopefully Europe ) and another couple of quality players in the summer and we're looking good.

Thats me fool of hope at Christmas time and I've had tonight's morphine.

August Landmesser
24 minutes ago, Ryder said:

It’s a LOT easier to build a team than a stand. :)

Aberdeen are proof of that. Decent squad, shit ground.

Archived