'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's nothing wrong with what I said, he's quite within his rights to be sensitive about ad hominem posts. The particular ad hominem you quoted is one I really don't like, the idea that living away from Edinburgh means you don't know how the team are playing.

There are literally thousands on here who don't go to every home game, while expats like us see more games than any of them through Hearts World - but we don't know how the team's functioning? Please!

I can appreciate if your an expat then you would be a bit sensitive....however when a poster comes on to post what is basically personal abuse then he is going to get it right back.  Kinda playground stuff TBH.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's nothing wrong with what I said, he's quite within his rights to be sensitive about ad hominem posts. The particular ad hominem you quoted is one I really don't like, the idea that living away from Edinburgh means you don't know how the team are playing.

There are literally thousands on here who don't go to every home game, while expats like us see more games than any of them through Hearts World - but we don't know how the team's functioning? Please!

Agreed. The only blessing you have is not hearing the individual moaning at games. Think i'll need to start taking along the old hip flask as a wee snort is the only thing that will blank it oot !

Just now, Thomaso said:

I can appreciate if your an expat then you would be a bit sensitive....however when a poster comes on to post what is basically personal abuse then he is going to get it right back.  Kinda playground stuff TBH.

Indeed, and I'm not a fan of blanket insults either, but I stand by the post you didn't like

1 minute ago, Boab said:

Agreed. The only blessing you have is not hearing the individual moaning at games. Think i'll need to start taking along the old hip flask as a wee snort is the only thing that will blank it oot !

Unfortunately Mrs S is the one who had to bear the moaning just now :)

Just now, Smithee said:

Unfortunately Mrs S is the one who had to bear the moaning just now :)

Get her a bottle for christmas !

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Indeed, and I'm not a fan of blanket insults either, but I stand by the post you didn't like

Fair enough, however to remind you - his post stated "Another thread from foamers to touch each other"

Now that would seem to be a perfect example of a ad hominem post - one that is "directed against a person rather than the postion they are maintaining"

No protest to him on his post - why is that if you are so ad hominem sensitive?

Bridge of Djoum
11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Fair enough, however to remind you - his post stated "Another thread from foamers to touch each other"

Now that would seem to be a perfect example of a ad hominem post - one that is "directed against a person rather than the postion they are maintaining"

To whom specifically did I direct it at?

6 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

To whom specifically did I direct it at?

You tell us then we'll all know for certain.

17 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Well, as I said before, I didn't see that post. Quite apart from that though, I'm not the police, I'll comment on what I feel like, not what you think I should.

His post wasn't ad hominem by the way

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You tell us then we'll all know for certain.

No. You claimed I directed personal abuse at people. Please, name them or quote me where I have gotten personal. 

It rather appears I have placed a box on the ground and you have climbed into it on your own accord.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well, as I said before, I didn't see that post. Quite apart from that though, I'm not the police, I'll comment on what I feel like, not what you think I should.

His post wasn't ad hominem by the way

Post away - you seem a bit selective on who you have a pop at - based perhaps on our differing opinions on our football management.

The poster in question referred to those posting who he seems to disagree with as "foamers to touch each other" - now I would have thought that terminology was directed against a person (or persons) rather that the position (or opinion) they were maintaining, and as such met the definition of ad hominem.

12 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

No. You claimed I directed personal abuse at people. Please, name them or quote me where I have gotten personal. 

It rather appears I have placed a box on the ground and you have climbed into it on your own accord.

You referred to posters on this thread as "Foamers to touch each other" - pretty disgusting actually and personally abusive.  So you tell us who on this comment it was directed to?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Relegation battles start with about 10 games to go......

Just saying.

Oh and people now quoting win stats who didn’t use stats to back neilson can go **** themselves

Not quite going the way you said it would, is it?

Just now, Thomaso said:

You referred to posters on this thread as "Foamers to touch each other" - pretty disgusting actually and personally abusive.  So you tell us who on this thread it was directed to?

I reckon he meant you.

1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

I reckon he meant you.

Really???  I'm totally shocked!!  :rolleyes2:

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You referred to posters on this thread as "Foamers to touch each other" - pretty disgusting actually and personally abusive.  So you tell us who on this thread it was directed to?

I'll ask again.

Who did I PERSONALLY aim my comment at?

2 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I'll ask again.

Who did I PERSONALLY aim my comment at?

You posted it - so enlighten us -  I don't know what was going through your brain at the time.

Or did you just wake up the morning on the wrong side of bed and decide to have a wee rant at nobody in particular???    :laugh:

We're (somehow) top six at the moment so no, not in a relegation battle at the moment but if we keep on like we're going and the January window brings more of the same then we very easily could be, but having said that the powers that be will have worked that one out for themselves and will do everything that they can, but will it be enough. I really enjoyed our season in the championship but not enough to want another one.

God like creature

Is this thread still about hearts and perhaps a forthcoming relegation battle ?,

or are we all bitch slapping each other because of hearts position ?,

were all jambos together lads and we all want the same thing at the end of the day.

Bridge of Djoum
6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You posted it - so enlighten us -  I don't know what was going through your brain at the time.

Or did you just wake up the morning on the wrong side of bed and decide to have a wee rant at nobody in particular???    :laugh:

I think we are approaching your point of realization that I made no personal attack on anyone. 

Back on topic, and to save you further embarrassment, I don't think we are in a relegation battle, yet. The next few games and the transfer window will dictate the rest of our season a great deal. A couple of wins, maybe a decent couple of signings and things may look up. Lose 4-5 out of the next half dozen and we will be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I think we are approaching your point of realization that I made no personal attack on anyone. 

Back on topic, and to save you further embarrassment, I don't think we are in a relegation battle, yet. The next few games and the transfer window will dictate the rest of our season a great deal. A couple of wins, maybe a decent couple of signings and things may look up. Lose 4-5 out of the next half dozen and we will be in trouble.

So basically you posted on here "Another thread from Foamers to touch each other" with nobody in mind whatsoever?????  Who were these "Foamers"??? A figment of your imagination then?  :laugh:

Embarrassment???  Yup you should be.

7 minutes ago, God like creature said:

Is this thread still about hearts and perhaps a forthcoming relegation battle ?,

or are we all bitch slapping each other because of hearts position ?,

were all jambos together lads and we all want the same thing at the end of the day.

This is true - unfortunately some on here want to get personal rather than sticking to football opinions.

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

So basically you posted on here "Another thread from Foamers to touch each other" with nobody in mind whatsoever?????  Who were these "Foamers"??? A figment of your imagination then?  :laugh:

Embarrassment???  Yup you should be.

I'm not sure you know the meaning of personal. 

Anything on topic?

5 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Heard this said on the radio on saturday and really hope that anyone could be this dense and think that there is a possibility of us going down this season. We're poor but there's no way 10/11 teams are better than us in this league.

Hibs fans said this in the 2013/14 season mate, it can happen

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

This is true - unfortunately some on here want to get personal rather than sticking to football opinions.

I gave my opinion earlier in the thread and you called me stupid.

Is that not getting personal ?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Unbeaten in 3. Better team in all 3 by a country mile.

Hard to beat. Performances are getting better and better. Getting nicely settled back at Tynecastle. A nice group of talented youngsters being introduced most weeks.

Seriously can't wait for the season ahead.

You've taken that a bit far, but the season no is still in the balance.

Could go either way, I'm still confident wins v Dundee, Motherwell and hibs will have us entering the transfer window a little more positive, but we need wins- soon.

5 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

I gave my opinion earlier in the thread and you called me stupid.

Is that not getting personal ?

:stupid_post:= banter IMO Olly.  Thought you were at the wind up TBH - you were weren't you??  :huh:

12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

This is true - unfortunately some on here take things too personal rather than sticking to football opinions.

FTFY.

10 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I'm not sure you know the meaning of personal. 

Anything on topic?

Frankly if you had posted a valid comment on topic in the first place we wouldn't be having this mud wrestle.

5 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

You've taken that a bit far, but the season no is still in the balance.

Could go either way, I'm still confident wins v Dundee, Motherwell and hibs will have us entering the transfer window a little more positive, but we need wins- soon.

If we beat Dundee, Motherwell and Hibs, even I will be positive!!!  :walk_man:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

If we beat Dundee, Motherwell and Hibs, even I will be positive!!!  :walk_man:

We're beating Celtic as well....

My thoughts are lets wait till March before we start talking about Relegation battles.

We are currently a top six team 5 points behind 5th place without even setting the heather on fire. 

I think we are a win away from starting a decent run.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Callachan will be better with a proper midfield around him, and coming in gradually over a few games/months. Unfortunately because of the unbalanced squad and loads of injuries, it was necessary to drop him straight in, and he's been asked to do a lot more/different work than he was signed for. I still think he'll come good.

Agree with this wholeheartedly, Callachan has a good attitude and has shown he is good enough (early on) but has gone downhill as the pressure was heaped on him to be our star man. He has ultimately still came from League 1/Championship, so there is an adjustment period for him. In a more balanced team with depth (or if Buaben, Martin and Grzelak were half decent) he'd be helping us see out games.

Buaben has played at this level for along time and should be in his prime right now, Martin was on the books at Monaco for a long time, and you don't manage that with zero talent and we keep hearing about how similar the Polish league is in terms of quality to the SPFL, so Grzelak should have made more of an impact (foreign culture notwithstanding). Callachan, to his credit hasn't hid unlike the rest of his colleagues in midfield and i think given time he will become a mainstay in our team. 

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We're beating Celtic as well....

:woot:

7 minutes ago, Rents said:

My thoughts are lets wait till March before we start talking about Relegation battles.

We are currently a top six team 5 points behind 5th place without even setting the heather on fire. 

I think we are a win away from starting a decent run.

What if we are bottom in February Rents?

The fact that the league is so tight means all the teams from Hearts downward are in danger of relegation.

All teams will likely have their mini recoveries we just need to make sure we have a big recovery. 

The trouble with these situations you can go from playing OK and not getting the breaks to getting absolutely panic struck and unable to buy a result.

Hibs 2014 should be a lesson to us all.

53 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Post away - you seem a bit selective on who you have a pop at - based perhaps on our differing opinions on our football management.

The poster in question referred to those posting who he seems to disagree with as "foamers to touch each other" - now I would have thought that terminology was directed against a person (or persons) rather that the position (or opinion) they were maintaining, and as such met the definition of ad hominem.

Again, there was nothing wrong with what I posted, and I couldn't care less if you think I'm selective. As I said before I took exception to what the other guy had posted so i said my bit. I'll continue to post what I like too!

You clearly don't get what ad hominem is by the way, I'd stop arguing that one of I was you

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Again, there was nothing wrong with what I posted, and I couldn't care less if you think I'm selective. As I said before I took exception to what the other guy had posted so i said my bit. I'll continue to post what I like too!

You clearly don't get what ad hominem is by the way, I'd stop arguing that one of I was you

Already said you carry on posting - no problem with that.

Genuine question - I felt the NY post in question met the printed definition of ad hominem - please enlighten me. 

Just now, Thomaso said:

Already said you carry on posting - no problem with that.

Genuine question - I felt the NY post in question met the printed definition of ad hominem - please enlighten me. 

Ad hominem is aimed at a specific person/persons instead of the opinion they've put forward in a debate - it's like listening to Prince Charles' opinions on architecture then replying with "well you're a jug eared toff"

What he did wasn't part of a debate, it was the equivalent of shouting "wankers!" into a crowded room then running away. Also unpleasant, but not ad hominem. 

1 minute ago, stotty said:

We are on a bad run, but honestly don't think we'll be anywhere near the bottom of the league by the end of the season. 

I agree with you but we have all seen how nerves can set in when wins turn into draws and draws turn into one goal defeats.

We are not scoring enough goals which means one error can mean dropped points.

Just about all the goals we have scored recently have either been brilliant pieces of play or brilliant set pieces. We have been unable to do the bread and butter type of goals. 

Tynecastlesmychurch

Sorry to be Mr negative but we are going to be facing a relegation battle if our form continues this way! Weve had three straight games at home all against teams we should be beating and we've failed to win any of them. I can't see us doing any better against motherwell tbh. And we've got celtic hibs and Aberdeen all coming up. I can't see us getting more than a point out of those either. 

The league is so tight, all the teams sixth or lower could be considered as being in a relegation battle, so what ? It's the sign of a fairly competitive league which is good. 

Bridge of Djoum
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ad hominem is aimed at a specific person/persons instead of the opinion they've put forward in a debate - it's like listening to Prince Charles' opinions on architecture then replying with "well you're a jug eared toff"

What he did wasn't part of a debate, it was the equivalent of shouting "wankers!" into a crowded room then running away. Also unpleasant, but not ad hominem. 

Pretty much bang on except I didn't run away. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The fact that the league is so tight means all the teams from Hearts downward are in danger of relegation.

All teams will likely have their mini recoveries we just need to make sure we have a big recovery. 

The trouble with these situations you can go from playing OK and not getting the breaks to getting absolutely panic struck and unable to buy a result.

Hibs 2014 should be a lesson to us all.

Hibs were missing managed.

Butcher to of half the team they we're shite and they would be punted in the summer.

He then had to rely on said players to play for him.

Stupidity doesn't quite cover it.

We still need to get that win, if anything for confidence.

Section G The Place To Be
31 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Hibs were missing managed.

Butcher to of half the team they we're shite and they would be punted in the summer.

He then had to rely on said players to play for him.

Stupidity doesn't quite cover it.

We still need to get that win, if anything for confidence.

So not too different to how things are going with us at present. 

All the ingredients are there for a relegation battle. The support is restless, the squad is shite and our past transfer windows have been horrendous. 

However I like the risk of it all, makes the season more exciting. And if we're clever we could create a real siege mentality.  We must get January right and I think we will. 

I do understand the frustration of the perceived negative bunch. I just don't understand how it helps going on and on about the team as we can't do anything till January. 

Archived