'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

4 hours ago, socrates82 said:

She probably realised some dim people confuse aiming for something, ie a target, with an actual promise and guarantee that that's what will happen, and now just can't be arsed with it.

You get it, many others don't!

The original 5 year plan allowed us 2 seasons to get out of the Championship, and a further season to consolidate our position in the SPL, before challenging for Europe in season 4.  So targeting  a 3rd place finish in the SPL during season 2 was never part of the original 5 year plan.  Perhaps we should slate her for the fact we got promoted in season 1, as that ruined the 5 year plan!!

I've pointed out on a number of occasions that 5 year plans are common in business, but they are reviewed and refreshed every year, based on how things actually pan out.  So basically, any decent business will have a rolling 5 year plan.  Some on here seem to think you create a 5 year plan, stick with it for 5 years, then create a new 5 year plan.

Nowhere in our original 5 year plan did it mention building a new main stand.  So does that mean when the opportunity to do so arose, we should have kicked it into touch, because it wasn't in the original plan?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I am in the construction industry.

Generally (where a Main Contractor is in place) the project programme is set in stone.  There will be opportunities and risks along the way, however the Project Director is fully responsible to deal with these and achieve the programme.

If he does not he is invariably fired.

The programme may be set in stone in theory, but the ultimate aim of any programme is 'to deliver something at a specified time'. 

We know that Hearts budgeted for two years in the Championship, so even back then there was a plan containing at least two scenarios.

Personally, I think the idea of a plan - however long - for the footballing side must be an extremely difficult thing to control.  It has to adapt to players leaving, players coming in, managers coming and going, players getting injured, international fixtures, etc.  In terms of the business side of the club, it's absolutely sensible and I would imagine all senior clubs have something that at least looks like a plan.  I think Hearts made the mistake of announcing this 5 year plan, for all it has done is raise expectations and given critics something to take shots at the club with.

14 hours ago, socrates82 said:

She probably realised some dim people confuse aiming for something, ie a target, with an actual promise and guarantee that that's what will happen, and now just can't be arsed with it.

I know what you mean - these "dim people" on here eh.....really annoying for intellectuals like you and me Soco.   :placate:

14 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Not sure it was just Levein's plan.

Oh righto.....Levein being The Director of Football (at the time) I assumed he was fully responsible for the football plan for the Club.  My mistake.

10 hours ago, Ryder said:

It’s a LOT easier to build a team than a stand. :)

Ain't that the truth!  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Haken said:

The programme may be set in stone in theory, but the ultimate aim of any programme is 'to deliver something at a specified time'. 

We know that Hearts budgeted for two years in the Championship, so even back then there was a plan containing at least two scenarios.

Personally, I think the idea of a plan - however long - for the footballing side must be an extremely difficult thing to control.  It has to adapt to players leaving, players coming in, managers coming and going, players getting injured, international fixtures, etc.  In terms of the business side of the club, it's absolutely sensible and I would imagine all senior clubs have something that at least looks like a plan.  I think Hearts made the mistake of announcing this 5 year plan, for all it has done is raise expectations and given critics something to take shots at the club with.

You asked me to compare the planning in the construction industry to how Levein planned our football future - I tried to do so.

You make some valid comments here - I agree the "5 year plan" has become a bit of a millstone round the Clubs neck, and bearing in mind the current shambles that our football side is in, I am sure they wish it had not been stated so publically.

Coburg Hearts
10 hours ago, RobNox said:

You get it, many others don't!

The original 5 year plan allowed us 2 seasons to get out of the Championship, and a further season to consolidate our position in the SPL, before challenging for Europe in season 4.  So targeting  a 3rd place finish in the SPL during season 2 was never part of the original 5 year plan.  Perhaps we should slate her for the fact we got promoted in season 1, as that ruined the 5 year plan!!

I've pointed out on a number of occasions that 5 year plans are common in business, but they are reviewed and refreshed every year, based on how things actually pan out.  So basically, any decent business will have a rolling 5 year plan.  Some on here seem to think you create a 5 year plan, stick with it for 5 years, then create a new 5 year plan.

Nowhere in our original 5 year plan did it mention building a new main stand.  So does that mean when the opportunity to do so arose, we should have kicked it into touch, because it wasn't in the original plan?

This should be made essential reading. Seriously. 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Ryder said:

It’s a LOT easier to build a team than a stand. :)

Depends on who's building what. 

1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Depends on who's building what. 

Glazed façade - on programme, on specification, on budget.  :thumb:

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Glazed façade - on programme, on specification, on budget.  :thumb:

Aye, but that's what someone who was - off programme, off spec, over Budget would say?.

1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Aye, but that's what someone who was - off programme, off spec, over Budget would say?.

:sleep1:

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

:sleep1:

I jest, lighten up!

Grand job and great updates on here despite the fandigos.

You made much more sense on the  stand thread than you do regarding football matters!?

Defo stick to your day job!?

9 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Oh righto.....Levein being The Director of Football (at the time) I assumed he was fully responsible for the football plan for the Club.  My mistake.

The 5 year plan wasn't just the first team performance as far as I'm aware.

9 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I know what you mean - these "dim people" on here eh.....really annoying for intellectuals like you and me Soco.   :placate:

Let's be honest here. Anyone who reads a target as meaning a definite outcome is either being deliberately or accidentally dim.

10 hours ago, Thomaso said:

You asked me to compare the planning in the construction industry to how Levein planned our football future - I tried to do so.

You make some valid comments here - I agree the "5 year plan" has become a bit of a millstone round the Clubs neck, and bearing in mind the current shambles that our football side is in, I am sure they wish it had not been stated so publically.

I think we're pretty much on the same page.  I may have a bit more patience with Levein than you, but I can respect your position. 

2 minutes ago, CBjambo said:

Are we still in a relegation battle or are have we ‘turned a corner??’

We have earned some breathing space. Far too early to claim the latter though 6 points in 2 games is very welcome after a previous very poor 6 games. I fear Sunday may bring us back down with a bump and it's probably a damage limitation excercise. With Colin in charge we're a goal down before taking the field. Detest that weasely shite.

I think we have progressed from being in a pre-pre-relegation battle battle, to a pre-relegation battle battle. :rofl:

who was the OP on this cluster**** btw? 

Just now, Ryder said:

I think we have progressed from being in a pre-pre-relegation battle battle, to a pre-relegation battle battle. :rofl:

What do you use to substitute that emoji in real life?

On 04/12/2017 at 11:00, Thomaso said:

And there you have it.   The last 6 months results of Cathro's reign also had us at the bottom of the league!!

Who is responsible for this shambles??

What does the form guide look like now? Change shows the pointless act of looking at short term results particularly in a league where barring one team, anyone can beat anyone else on any given matchday. 

44 minutes ago, NewYorkFleaPit said:

What do you use to substitute that emoji in real life?

Not spending time with gibbering simpletons... sorry you had to discover something so scathing about yourself on a Football forum. 

:sob:

August Landmesser

24 from 18 games. We're now on course to finish with 50.6666666 points. Let's call it 51. 

And let's not fret too much about rellagayshun.

What surprises me most about that table is that Rangers are only 5 points behind Celtic. What with them being invincible etc

Coburg Hearts
14 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Who is in this relegation battle with us?

Are Hibs or Motherwell?

:unsure:

CD7DE7D4-CE6B-4226-8E94-8B1FD422AA48.png

I can't remember if I posted it here, but my thoughts were that we would finish at least 10 points above the second bottom team. We're nearly there already after just 2 games. :smile:

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

I can't remember if I posted it here, but my thoughts were that we would finish at least 10 points above the second bottom team. We're nearly there already after just 2 games. :smile:

You were being generous. I’m hunting the vermin. :smug:

23 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Who is in this relegation battle with us?

Are Hibs or Motherwell?

:unsure:

CD7DE7D4-CE6B-4226-8E94-8B1FD422AA48.png

Yawn. Look at us, flying 9 points from relegation.  I thought the board was aiming for 2nd spot. 

Coburg Hearts
1 minute ago, Ryder said:

You were being generous. I’m hunting the vermin. :smug:

So am I, ten points was the bare minimum above 2nd bottom. Hibs have still to have their annual collapse, so I'm confident we'll finish above them. :thumbsup:

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Yawn. Look at us, flying 9 points from relegation.  I thought the board was aiming for 2nd spot. 

What do you mean “yawn”? :rofl:

are we in a “relegation battle” m8? 

Just now, Ryder said:

Yawn. Not going to bother. We ARE going for 2nd , aren't we ?  

Coburg Hearts
6 minutes ago, Ryder said:

You sound very disappointed that we won our last 2 games. No way could I have reacted like you after 2 battling, spirited displays with 6 points and 2 clean sheets.

Edit Oops, that was meant for nano 

2 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

You sound very disappointed that we won our last 2 games. No way could I have reacted like you after 2 battling, spirited displays with 6 points and 2 clean sheets.

Edit Oops, that was meant for nano 

Thought so. No offence taken. :)

Just now, Coburg Hearts said:

Nope. Just my reaction to a wind up thread . And a wind up is all it is. We're not in a relegation battle, go us. So comforting.  Maybe we'll be battling for second next season though. 

Coburg Hearts
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Nope. Just my reaction to a wind up thread . And a wind up is all it is. We're not in a relegation battle, go us. So comforting.  Maybe we'll be battling for second next season though. 

I can smell the fear.

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Yawn. Not going to bother. We ARE going for 2nd , aren't we ?  

Dont recall any threads about us being in the mix for second m8...

Now... this “relegation battle”... are we in it m88?

:wow:

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Dont recall any threads about us being in the mix for second m8...

Now... this “relegation battle”... are we in it m88?

:wow:

Good night. 

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

We are not in a relegation battle? Are you sure?

Let me just bump the thread from less than a fortnight ago where we were discussing exactly that... :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

We are not in a relegation battle? Are you sure?

Let me just bump the thread from less than a fortnight ago where we were discussing exactly that... :rofl:

Good night to you too. PM the next time the board say we're challenging for 2nd spot. 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

August Landmesser
27 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

We're 9 points from second spot. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

And ?

You seemed concerned that we're only 9 points from the relegation spot. I was merely highlighting that we're as close to second as we are to last, and in addition, our form suggests we're on an upward trajectory...

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 hours ago, Ryder said:

GIRFUY ya Hibs roaster

Just now, August Landmesser said:

You seemed concerned that we're only 9 points from the relegation spot. I was merely highlighting that we're as close to second as we are to last, and in addition, our form suggests we're on an upward trajectory...

You and the other two muppets need to read my posts again. My celebrations about being 9 points from relegation are rather mooted given the fact we're supposedly  aiming  (and spending) for  2nd place. But crack on. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You and the other two muppets need to read my posts again. My celebrations about being 9 points from relegation are rather mooted given the fact we're supposedly  aiming  (and spending) for  2nd place. But crack on. 

4th biggest budget, 4th would be a good result at the end of the season. We're 5th.

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

4th biggest budget, 4th would be a good result at the end of the season. We're 5th.

Yes, it would, But that's got nothing to do with OP or what I originally said.  The OP being at the wind up.  

Good night.

On 04/12/2017 at 10:59, Walter Bishop said:

Image result for head in the sand

On 04/12/2017 at 11:14, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Anyone who goes to the games and has any idea about football knows we are in trouble.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:24, Walter Bishop said:

3 points from second bottom, worst performing team in the league on current form, a horrendous run of fixtures coming up, a manager in place who arguably doesn't want to be there, Walker likely to be away in January etc etc 

You better believe we are in a relegation battle. 

On 04/12/2017 at 11:25, NewYorkFleaPit said:

We’re heading for the play offs, kidda. Take your heid oot the sand

On 04/12/2017 at 11:47, Lambo85 said:

There are so many fans on here with their head in the sand.

We are a very poor team and have been for over a year now.

Failing to beat Partick, Ross County and Hamiltion at home has put the pressure on us.

We have got some really tough games coming up. We need to take 6 points away from the next 2 matches because after that we are away to St Johnstone home to Celtic, home to Hibs and home to Aberdeen.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:52, Escobar PHM said:

I remember when Hibs thought they wouldn't go down. In fact they thought they'd finish top 6 right up until the week before they finished bottom 6 and went on to blow it in the split.

Anyone looking at our form and our next half dozen games surely has to realise that we're in trouble if results don't pick up.

I doubt we'll finish bottom. Partick look to be falling off the pace a bit. We could easily finish 11th though. On current form we WILL finish 11th at best. Something has to change, and fast. If we're still in this state at the end of January, strap yourself in because its going to get hairy.

On 04/12/2017 at 12:07, Paolo said:

Based on current form,

we will be in one.   As others have said, Hibs and Dundee Utd fans were also in denial the seasons they went down. 

I happen to think we will NOT get relegated, but if we don’t pick up soon, we will be in that battle. 

On 04/12/2017 at 12:14, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t think we’ll go down but the delusion on here gets worse. We are in serious trouble and going backwards.

On 04/12/2017 at 12:16, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Nah, it is only vermin and trolls saying that we are in a relegation fight. Everything is awesome. :rolleyes:

On 04/12/2017 at 12:18, i8hibsh said:

The only way anyone could possibly say we are not is if they have their head buried in the sand.

On 04/12/2017 at 12:54, NANOJAMBO said:

We're nearly half way through the season with a  tough run of fixtures coming up before the Jan window.  This is a team that failed miserably in the league cup and has taken half a season to even look like it can win a game (and then still doesn't).  Major surgery required.  

On 04/12/2017 at 14:47, Oliver Twist said:

Unbeaten in 3. Better team in all 3 by a country mile.

Hard to beat. Performances are getting better and better. Getting nicely settled back at Tynecastle. A nice group of talented youngsters being introduced most weeks.

Seriously can't wait for the season ahead.

On 04/12/2017 at 14:50, Thomaso said:

:rolleyes2::troll:

On 04/12/2017 at 16:40, Irufushi said:

This, we’re very much in a relegation battle.

On 04/12/2017 at 18:58, Ryder said:

Keep it coming. Keep it coming. Another one to bookmark. :)

On 04/12/2017 at 21:29, RudiHMFC said:

Our form over a long period of time is that of a team in severe danger of relegation, until such time that form improves, we are in a relegation battle.

On 04/12/2017 at 21:43, RudiHMFC said:

That's the worrying thing, it's like no matter what players or how many you throw at it, it stays the same, what does that tell you?

On 05/12/2017 at 15:58, Escobar PHM said:

This squad falling 8 or 9 points adrift wouldn't be a 'relegation battle' It'd be a 'relegation certainty'

Relegation battles start when your running out of games ( down to single figures I'd say) and your bottom 3 or 4 with 3 or 4 teams about you. We're not there yet, clearly, but I think that its very important that this particular group of players gets some points on the board soon and takes us out of the equation because I'd be very concerned about their stomach for a 'battle'

On 05/12/2017 at 17:40, NANOJAMBO said:

There's nothing "standard" about this season.  Averaging slightly better than a point per game almost mid way through the league season  - sure, would've been acceptable on out first season back in the top division. But now ?  Genuinely wish I had the faith you do in the current  set up.  Sometimes this place reminds me of the Spitting Image sketch where John Major  tells his cabinet that things aren't as bad as they seem (he's the only one wearing the VR headset). 

On 05/12/2017 at 20:49, MacDonald Jardine said:

I'm not trying to. 

If we don't beat Motherwell or Dundee, presumably lose to Celtic and then lose to Hibs what will our average be like?

On 05/12/2017 at 23:34, Ryder said:

Relegation battle! :rofl:

Who wants to bet? £200 we don’t finish in 11th or 12th?

Who fancies it? Offer Open until Kick Off Saturday. :smug:

On 05/12/2017 at 23:39, Ryder said:

Seriously? Despite the amount of posters insisting we are in aregation battle? Find that a bit hilarious.

On 06/12/2017 at 05:24, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I won't go as far as the 200 nicker Rockefeller here has put up, but I'll jump on the band wagon and offer a 30 quid wager we won't finish 11th or 12th. Happy to make it payable to any good JKB cause or a charity of the losers choice.

Anyone? 

On 06/12/2017 at 05:25, Oliver Twist said:

The posters losing their Shit don't get that amount in pocket money over the course of a year though.

On 06/12/2017 at 06:36, Ryder said:

Does seem like folk are passing up free munny...

On 06/12/2017 at 13:17, Ryder said:

So not a relegation battle then?

On 06/12/2017 at 13:37, Escobar PHM said:

We’re currently one of 7 teams who could conceivably finish bottom 2. At some stage in the next 10-12 matches we’ll need to take ourselves out of that group. We’re in a battle to avoid the battle. If your not looking at our form and at least raising an eyebrow of concern you are deluded. Something has to change for the better soon or we are in trouble. . That is an undeniable fact.

On 06/12/2017 at 16:48, Ryder said:

So we’re in the pre-relegation battle battle? :lol:

On 06/12/2017 at 17:02, Escobar PHM said:

Aren’t we ?

On 06/12/2017 at 17:09, Ryder said:

Dunno, maybe we’re in the pre-pre relegation battle battle battle? 

On 06/12/2017 at 19:00, Escobar PHM said:

You’re not concerned whatever it is huh ?

On 06/12/2017 at 21:44, Ryder said:

It’s very funny actually. More moving of the goalposts than the halftime heroes. :lol:

On 07/12/2017 at 06:49, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If you hadn’t spent months telling us all how fine and dandy it is at Hearts then you’d be in a position to mock others.

On 07/12/2017 at 06:51, Ryder said:

I’m sorry but the deflection won’t work here. We are not in a relegation battle. :rofl:

On 07/12/2017 at 08:03, Ryder said:

Good idea. We might actually be in a pre-relegation battle battle by that point. :rofl:

On 07/12/2017 at 08:05, Ryder said:

Tosh gets a lot of personal insults. Just an observation.

On 07/12/2017 at 08:23, Ryder said:

We planned to get promoted within two seasons so your theory on our five year plan falls apart on year one. The main stand was never part of the original plan either, so that another tomato in the coupon right there. We had reestablished ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic in year two and three, but (no idea if you were one of them) folk wanted our manager punted because they points we were hoovering up weren’t ‘stylish’ enough. :rofl:

On 07/12/2017 at 08:46, RudiHMFC said:

Our form over the long and short term is relegation form.

On 07/12/2017 at 09:03, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It's not a timeline numb nuts, it's a list of things which (personally) I think the club would have aimed to achieve in that five-year time frame. I very much doubt the Main Stand wasn't in their minds at the outset as a longer-term goal.

On 07/12/2017 at 12:54, Ryder said:

“Numb nuts” :rofl:

It was a numbered list of five things that you suspect was part of a five year plan. If that wasn’t meant to represent a timeline then by god you did a fantastic job of disguising it as one.

On 07/12/2017 at 12:56, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It was four man. Four.

On 07/12/2017 at 13:04, Ryder said:

It hardly validates your argument that you started talking about a five year plan and only managed to number four target points. Quite the opposite in fact, it sows seeds of doubt about your whole thought process:

“... I think the five year plan was 1) getting promoted 2) re-establishing ourselves as one of the strongest clubs behind Celtic 3) rebuilding the Main Stand 4) qualifying for Europe... “

Are you saying that those four targets were in random order, and no timeline applied? You even started the sentence with:

“... I think the five year plan was... “

You’re all over the shop, here. :lol:

On 07/12/2017 at 13:29, Ryder said:

Well quite... so you were applying a timeline. Clearly.

Here’s an article mentioning the five year plan and the new stand from 2015:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14122062.Hearts_to_stay_at_Tynecastle_as_Budge_reveals_plan_for_new_stand/

If I had the time and compulsion I’d find the articles from before then where Budge told us that she hadn’t planned on doing anything about the stand other than handing over the club in a good financial position to FoH. This would allow FoH to deal with the “challenges”. She then said that after we ended up well ahead of our five year rebuilding schedule, she started to look at the possibilities. 

On 07/12/2017 at 13:41, Thomaso said:

All is looking good off the park, and I am sure she is ahead of the off field targets she set in the 5 year plan she refers to.

With regards to on the park, she stated that season the target was a top 6 finish - we finished 3rd.

The following season she said that anything less than a 3rd place finish would be unacceptable or disappointing - we finished 5th.

This season I do not believe she stated any target - has she now scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets? 

On 07/12/2017 at 13:46, Ryder said:

Pop down the corridor and chap up her door mate. I’m sure she won’t mind you asking her in person... be sure and tip-toe past big Craig’s door though, he’s liable to make a Graeme Hogg out of you. :lol:

On 07/12/2017 at 13:49, Thomaso said:

Ha ha - very good.    I did however ask a pertinent football question - if it was too difficult for you to answer best just ignore it - mate. 

On 07/12/2017 at 13:53, Ryder said:

Oh give over, it was meant as a wee humorous riposte to your incessant Levein agenda.

Your actual question was unclear. What are you asking me? :)

On 07/12/2017 at 14:00, Thomaso said:

Didn't mention Levein in my post.

I would have thought I was pretty clear what I was asking - has Ann Budge scrapped the 5 year plan for on the field targets?

On 07/12/2017 at 14:07, Ryder said:

Shouldn’t imagine so mate. We’ve been ahead of plan at some points and behind at others... Doubt we just scrap the plan when we don’t achieve a goal, just like we wouldn’t have scrapped it when we were a year ahead of it. Probably works like a Gantt Chart or something. Things get rearranged to take in to account a change in the timeline, be that a positive or negative change. You’re probably asking the wrong bloke though... gie the old bursd a PM on Facebook messenger or something. :thumbsup:

On 07/12/2017 at 14:59, Ryder said:

Jesus Christ Thomaso, you don’t half make this difficult on yourself. See when you head round to hers to drop off the card and presents? Ask her yourself over a wee mug of mulled wine. :thumbsup:

Just for starting laughs... Oh, NANO!

Archived