'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, eyesandears said:

Three points off the relegation play off place but we're not in a relegation battle?!?

Of course we are. It just happens to be a battle with 7 teams in it and we are top of that pile of teams at the moment.

We are definitely in a relegation battle whether it "feels" like it or not.

Nah , not imo relegation battles are horrible, you can feel it.

We might get drawn into one if we don't win a game, tho.

To early for that chat yet, there's twenty odd battles left, to me that's a war!

For example, were 6th -with the split we couldn't even get relegated ATM.

Therefore we're not in a relegation battle by any stretch of the imagination.

Relegation battles start, imo at the split.

If anything we're in a "top 6 battle" ATM.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our form, results, leadership, apathy, tactics, acceptance, signings...all suggest relegation is a possibility. 

None of the above screams success, that's for sure. 

MacDonald Jardine
19 hours ago, graygo said:

An average of a point a game usually sees a team safe.

Fine but we're currently averaging a point a game against bottom 6 teams at home.

That average could be considerably worse in the next month. 

6 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

To early for that chat yet, there's twenty odd battles left, to me that's a war!

Fair play BDH. I like your calmness in adversity......Needless to say I'll be delighted if we can pull away from the drop zone :av-1001:

MacDonald Jardine
3 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

Fair play BDH. I like your calmness in adversity......Needless to say I'll be delighted if we can pull away from the drop zone :av-1001:

Calmness in adversity or blind stupidity?

time will tell. i am very nervous though about where we are. Hibs, Dundee United, Inverness, Raith etc,,,,,,the leagues are full of teams that thought they would get out of it and dropped like stones.

16 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Fine but we're currently averaging a point a game against bottom 6 teams at home.

That average could be considerably worse in the next month. 

Dinnae talk pish - we are actually averaging slightly more than 1 point per game against the whole league, you can't extrapolate the results to suit your agenda.

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Dinnae talk pish - we are actually averaging slightly more than 1 point per game against the whole league, you can't extrapolate the results to suit your agenda.

I'm not trying to. 

If we don't beat Motherwell or Dundee, presumably lose to Celtic and then lose to Hibs what will our average be like?

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I'm not trying to. 

If we don't beat Motherwell or Dundee, presumably lose to Celtic and then lose to Hibs what will our average be like?

Seems reasonable to me, Mac.

If we're struggling against bottom 6, it's logical to believe we'll be fecked v. top 6.

43 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We’ve collected just 3 points from our last 6 games, the poorest ‘most recent 6 games’ record in the league. All of these games were played in Edinburgh and 4 against bottom 6 teams. We scored 4 goals in these games, no 2 of which were in the same game. In what way is that not relegation form?

39 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I'm not trying to. 

I don't know, what will it be if we win all those games?

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

If we hit the last quarter like this, I Won't be calm!

A top six battle is no great achievement either.

Relegation battle, top 6 battle- we still need to improve.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I don't know, what will it be if we win all those games?

Ha ha, pass me the crack pipe. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

We’ve collected just 3 points from our last 6 games, the poorest ‘most recent 6 games’ record in the league. All of these games were played in Edinburgh and 4 against bottom 6 teams. We scored 4 goals in these games, no 2 of which were in the same game. In what way is that not relegation form?

If it continues we would end up being in a relegation battle.

Too early imo to be talking about relegation battles.

Not sure what folk aren't getting.

27 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If it continues we would end up being in a relegation battle.

Too early imo to be talking about relegation battles.

Not sure what folk aren't getting.

Amen to that.

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Doesn't feel like a relegation battle, the fact it's a discussion means we're not.

If we're in a relegation battle , it will be obvious and no one will disagree.

As someone else said, we are in danger if being drawn into a relegation battle if results don't improve and we don't win game's ( as is any team) but not in one yet.

If we get in one, we'll all know it.

I think what many get frustrated by is the number of fans who quite possibly haven't yet cottoned on to what is potentially just round the corner, but are rather ignoring it as it isn't  already in place (not aimed at you by the way, I've read your recent posts). What I found surprising recently was how fans reacted to the draws against both Ross County and last weekend versus Hamilton. By their accounts we looked a lot better against them yet failed to beat either of them. Is that the level we've reached at this stage in the season, where home draws against those two clubs (both of whom we have beaten away from home) are seen as positives or bonuses of some sort. I don't, we may not have played well against Partick (who are now bottom of the league) but playing poorly against them yet playing better (some even went as far as saying near enough excellently) against Ross County and Hamilton produced the exact same result. I will never leave Tynecastle with a feeling of happiness that we have failed to beat a team below us in the league.

As for the teams above us, who are now just round the corner games wise, we have taken a total of 2 points from those 5 clubs this season, 1 versus Aberdeen at Murrayfield and 1 early on in the season at Ibrox. I don't like being in a position where I'm looking at fixtures against Motherwell, Dundee, St Johnstone, Hibernian and Aberdeen, and thinking "Oh feck, where are we going to get points". I still hope we can beat Dundee, although I'm assuming some may still be pleased if we get a draw, but the others I'm struggling to convince myself we will get a point from any of the games, and that is sad.

I also think there could be a number disappointed come the start of 2018 as I'm just not convinced we will or can bring in the players needed to reverse our fortunes. Some are hoping we will spend money, but I'm not sure we will. I've no idea how the budget has split over the year to date, but going forward any money generated by FoH, for example, will not be used to buy players, as there is a loan to Bidco to be repaid. Costs are also going up, and yet the only real option to make the team better, you would think, is if we were contemplating bringing in much better players. In turn their demands will go up as well and I just don't think we have a scouting system in place which will find some gems out there, which involves doing a job of getting out and looking at player every day/night, 7 days a week if necessary. Finding players who are playing well now, who will fit in with us and will bring something to the team, not sitting looking at video snaps of players which have been thrown together over months by agents looking to move their players on.

I don't want to see us reach a stage in the season where suddenly everyone realises we are in the shit. I don't have any objection to going back to many of the towns we visited during our season in the Championship, but potentially ending up back there could not possibly be classed as years of progress by anyone.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

I think what many get frustrated by is the number of fans who quite possibly haven't yet cottoned on to what is potentially just round the corner, rather than already in place. What I found surprising recently was how fans reacted to the draws against both Ross County and last weekend versus Hamilton. By their accounts we looked a lot better against them yet failed to beat either of them. Is that the level we've reached at this stage in the season, where home draws against those two clubs (both of whom we have beaten away from home) are seen as positives or bonuses of some sort. I don't, we may not have played well against Partick (who are now bottom of the league) but playing poorly against them yet playing better (some even went as far as saying near enough excellently) against Ross County and Hamilton produced the exact same result. I will never leave Tynecastle with a feeling of happiness that we have failed to beat a team below us in the league.

As for the teams above us, who are now just round the corner games wise, we have taken a total of 2 points from those 5 clubs this season, 1 versus Aberdeen at Murrayfield and 1 early on in the season at Ibrox. I don't like being in a position where I'm looking at fixtures against Motherwell, Dundee, St Johnstone, Hibernian and Aberdeen, and thinking "Oh feck, where are we going to get points". I still hope we can beat Dundee, although I'm assuming some may still be pleased if we get a draw, but the others I'm struggling to convince myself we will get a point from any of the games, and that is sad.

I also think there could be a number disappointed come the start of 2018 as I'm just not convinced we will or can bring in the players needed to reverse our fortunes. Some are hoping we will spend money, but I'm not sure we will. I've no idea how the budget has split over the year to date, but going forward any money generated by FoH, for example, will not be used to buy players, as there is a loan to Bidco to be repaid. Costs are also going up, and yet the only real option to make the team better, you would think, is if we were contemplating bringing in much better players. In turn their demands will go up as well and I just don't think we have a scouting system in place which will find some gems out there, which involves doing a job of getting out and looking at player every day/night, 7 days a week if necessary. Finding players who are playing well now, who will fit in with us and will bring something to the team, not sitting looking at video snaps of players which have been thrown together over months by agents looking to move their players on.

I don't want to see us reach a stage in the season where suddenly everyone realises we are in the shit. I don't have any objection to going back to many of the towns we visited during our season in the Championship, but potentially ending up back there could not possibly be classed as progress by anyone.

Good post, but I like to keep things simple.

If we continue our results of late, we may end up in a relegation battle or relegated.

If we win a few games, along with the points  we'll gain in confidence and look up rather than down.

It is more in the balance than I'd like, but shit happens.

I can either continue to support the team, look forward to our first victories in front of our new stand or worry about things that I have no influence over.

We need players- that won't happen until January, no point in bringing it up every week, everyone knows including cl. But we can't change that until January.

So until then, I'll bash on, quietly optimistic that we'll improve. The alternative is to be a miserable *******.

Everyone knows the team-

Is unbalanced

Low on confidence

Just recoverd from a spate of injuries

Needs to improve, asap.

No one is arguing this, it's just the way people convey Thier frustrations that is different.

Booing the players, continually battering the manager, not attending games, canceling foh subs isn't helpful in any way.

On topic, it's too early for any kind of "battles", imo.

35 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

If we continue our results of late, we may end up in a relegation battle or relegated.

If we win a few games, along with the points  we'll gain in confidence and look up rather than down.

I can either continue to support the team, look forward to our first victories in front of our new stand or worry about things that I have no influence over.

We need players- that won't happen until January, no point in bringing it up every week, everyone knows including cl. But we can't change that until January.

So until then, I'll bash on, quietly optimistic that we'll improve. The alternative is to be a miserable *******.

Everyone knows the team-

Is unbalanced

Low on confidence

Needs to improve, asap.

No one is arguing this, it's just the way people convey Thier frustrations that is different.

Booing the players, continually battering the manager, not attending games, canceling foh subs isn't helpful in any way.

Excellent post.

August Landmesser
35 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Everyone knows the team-

Is unbalanced

Low on confidence

Needs to improve, asap.

Indeed. All of this.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Everyone knows the team-

Is unbalanced

Low on confidence

Needs to improve, asap.

Fortunately, despite me being a tad frustrated at what I'm watching I don't fall into any of these categories. Other than being  uncertain at this time that Craig Levein is the right man for the job I do understand that a pay off, if the board do decide a replacement is needed, would not be cheap and is probably money we don't want to spend at this time. I'm also quite willing to admit that if he isn't the right man for the job I haven't got a scooby who would make a good replacement. When I go to games these days I tend not to say much at all, but rather just watch and take everything in. Saturdays/Sundays and the odd midweek night game is for watching HMFC, it's why I go out and work Monday to Friday and my FoH contribution will continue until my death, at which point any money remaining in my accounts will move to HMFC as a lump sum payment.

I was a bit worried about number travelling on our bus mind you, as it has been a wee while now since we travelled for an way game and things on the playing side have probably got worse. However, I was delighted to read on our Facebook page that our bus for the next away game against St Johnstone in Perth on 23 December sold out 2 weeks ago (not so sure the same will be the case for the game up at Aberdeen, especially if we fail against Hibs on 27 December) but I will still be there to offer what support I can

Relegation battle! :rofl:

Who wants to bet? £200 we don’t finish in 11th or 12th?

Who fancies it? Offer Open until Kick Off Saturday. :smug:

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Fortunately, despite me being a tad frustrated at what I'm watching I don't fall into any of these categories. Other than being  uncertain at this time that Craig Levein is the right man for the job I do understand that a pay off, if the board do decide a replacement is needed, would not be cheap and is probably money we don't want to spend at this time. I'm also quite willing to admit that if he isn't the right man for the job I haven't got a scooby who would make a good replacement. When I go to games these days I tend not to say much at all, but rather just watch and take everything in. Saturdays/Sundays and the odd midweek night game is for watching HMFC, it's why I go out and work Monday to Friday and my FoH contribution will continue until my death, at which point any money remaining in my accounts will move to HMFC as a lump sum payment.

I was a bit worried about number travelling on our bus mind you, as it has been a wee while now since we travelled for an way game and things on the playing side have probably got worse. However, I was delighted to read on our Facebook page that our bus for the next away game against St Johnstone in Perth on 23 December sold out 2 weeks ago (not so sure the same will be the case for the game up at Aberdeen, especially if we fail against Hibs on 27 December) but I will still be there to offer what support I can

No problem,it was a general statement as opposed to aimed at you.

Hopefully you'll have a good away day.

Funny thing is, despite our form-Dundee, saints, Motherwell Could go our way, of course they could go all wrong.

Far more 50/ 50 than I'd like.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I've offered that already. Not takers.

£100 from me tho.

Just now, BigDave'sHeed said:

I've offered that already. Not takers.

£100 from me tho.

Seriously? Despite the amount of posters insisting we are in aregation battle? Find that a bit hilarious.

If the league was six games long they might have a point. Quite an arbitrary number to look at. Why not 5 or 10 or 15? Still bottom?

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Ryder said:

I won't go as far as the 200 nicker Rockefeller here has put up, but I'll jump on the band wagon and offer a 30 quid wager we won't finish 11th or 12th. Happy to make it payable to any good JKB cause or a charity of the losers choice.

Anyone? 

5 hours ago, Ryder said:

Seriously? Despite the amount of posters insisting we are in aregation battle? Find that a bit hilarious.

The posters losing their Shit don't get that amount in pocket money over the course of a year though.

14 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

I won't go as far as the 200 nicker Rockefeller here has put up, but I'll jump on the band wagon and offer a 30 quid wager we won't finish 11th or 12th. Happy to make it payable to any good JKB cause or a charity of the losers choice.

Anyone? 

No charity bet here. I’ll be buying an X-Box 1.

Bridge of Djoum
35 minutes ago, Ryder said:

No charity bet here. I’ll be buying an X-Box 1.

Your social corruption disgusts me.;)

It's odd those most vociferous among us regarding our ''relegation battle'', the individuals virtually erect at the thought of us being in one and voicing their confidence thus, have gone strangely quiet at the prospect of making 330 quid from you, BDH and I.

Seymour M Hersh

To finish in the bottom two we are currently 18/1 on odds checker (if I have looked at it correctly but I'm no betting expert). 

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

To finish in the bottom two we are currently 18/1 on odds checker (if I have looked at it correctly but I'm no betting expert). 

Money to be made if anyone has balls the size of their mouths.

16 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Your social corruption disgusts me.;)

It's odd those most vociferous among us regarding our ''relegation battle'', the individuals virtually erect at the thought of us being in one and voicing their confidence thus, have gone strangely quiet at the prospect of making 330 quid from you, BDH and I.

Does seem like folk are passing up free munny...

8 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It's CL who created any "pay off" difficulty by awarding himself a 3 year deal!

August Landmesser
3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

:facepalm:

14 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Our recent results include 3 defeats to hibs rangers and Kilmarnock. Rework your sums and see where a continuing pattern of 3 points every 6 games leaves us

Our form at the start of the first season in the SPL under Robbie was played 5, win 5.

Did we win every game that season?

45 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Do you think the board might have ratified his contractual arrangements perhaps?

God like creature

I don't think us JKB folk know the in's and out's of CL contract ,I don't think regardless of results between now and January it would be worth (again) changing managers,I also hope we don't go panic buying.

It would be great to of load the deadwood (hitman like) ,id'e take a bottom six place and wait until the summer so we can get a few proven quality players in,

I'm a patient man and it all looks rosey financially in the future,

we're nearly there !

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Do you think the board might have ratified his contractual arrangements perhaps?

The decision making of our board has been utterly incompetent since the day Neilson left for Milton Keynes.

The most frustrating thing is that since we lost to Partick at Firhill, 3 days after the ER disgrace, we have basically fiddled whilst Rome is engulfed in an inferno.

I like most Hearts fans was 100% supportive of the Cathro experiment, but that afternoon in Glasgow and the inability of the squad of to show any reaction to the SC exit crystallized the sad fact that Cathro was epically out of his depth.

However, we still let him limp onto the end of the season and then even more incredibly entrusted him with rebuilding the squad despite the catastrophic result of the January window.

When our humiliating League Cup campaign finally brought Cathro's reign to an end, we still had 4 weeks of the transfer window to appoint a new Manager and make the essential signings we knew we had to make.

It beggars belief that despite the fact that everyone and their dog knew that we lacked pace, width and any semblance of a midfield we failed to address any of these issues.

We are not experiencing current results due to misfortune, we are suffering because of gross mis-management off the pitch.

The  forthcoming January transfer window is our shot at redemption, we are not a side that requires two paracetamol and a good night's rest, we need wholesale surgery and if there is a cost implication then Ann Budge has to do what most other club owners would do and provide the finance.

1 hour ago, God like creature said:

I don't think us JKB folk know the in's and out's of CL contract ,I don't think regardless of results between now and January it would be worth (again) changing managers,I also hope we don't go panic buying.

It would be great to of load the deadwood (hitman like) ,id'e take a bottom six place and wait until the summer so we can get a few proven quality players in,

I'm a patient man and it all looks rosey financially in the future,

we're nearly there !

You'd take a bottom 6 finish???  Is this what we've come to nearly 4 feckin year's into Levein's 5 year fantasy plan??

"We're nearly there"???  We are nowhere close on the pitch!!

54 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The decision making of our board has been utterly incompetent since the day Neilson left for Milton Keynes.

The most frustrating thing is that since we lost to Partick at Firhill, 3 days after the ER disgrace, we have basically fiddled whilst Rome is engulfed in an inferno.

I like most Hearts fans was 100% supportive of the Cathro experiment, but that afternoon in Glasgow and the inability of the squad of to show any reaction to the SC exit crystallized the sad fact that Cathro was epically out of his depth.

However, we still let him limp onto the end of the season and then even more incredibly entrusted him with rebuilding the squad despite the catastrophic result of the January window.

When our humiliating League Cup campaign finally brought Cathro's reign to an end, we still had 4 weeks of the transfer window to appoint a new Manager and make the essential signings we knew we had to make.

It beggars belief that despite the fact that everyone and their dog knew that we lacked pace, width and any semblance of a midfield we failed to address any of these issues.

We are not experiencing current results due to misfortune, we are suffering because of gross mis-management off the pitch.

The  forthcoming January transfer window is our shot at redemption, we are not a side that requires two paracetamol and a good night's rest, we need wholesale surgery and if there is a cost implication then Ann Budge has to do what most other club owners would do and provide the finance.

Spot on David.

4 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Money to be made if anyone has balls the size of their mouths.

I never bet against Hearts, regardless of how poor we are - most PHM won't!

Bridge of Djoum
16 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I never bet against Hearts, regardless of how poor we are - most PHM won't!

You'd actually be betting on your own predictions rather than against Hearts. Any courage in your convictions at all? Or just an empty vessel?

7 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

You'd actually be betting on your own predictions rather than against Hearts. Any courage in your convictions at all? Or just an empty vessel?

Firstly I have not predicted we are going to be relegated - I HAVE predicted that unless things improve dramatically we are in for a battle, and COULD be relegated!

As I have told you - regardless of my "predictions" or opinion of our current management and team, I NEVER bet against Hearts!   Not difficult to understand really, even for you.

28 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Firstly I have not predicted we are going to be relegated - I HAVE predicted that unless things improve dramatically we are in for a battle, and COULD be relegated!

As I have told you - regardless of my "predictions" or opinion of our current management and team, I NEVER bet against Hearts!   Not difficult to understand really, even for you.

just seen you in bookies with a Motherwell -1 slip

25 minutes ago, Tynie-Tempah said:

just seen you in bookies with a Motherwell -1 slip

:pimp2:  you ain't seen me right!

I don't think anyone is saying we are going down, they are simply highlighting valid concerns that results over the last 12 months have been poor and are getting worse.

We are only an injury to Berra away from serious trouble.

I have no interest in betting on Hearts to be relegated, my interest is in seeing Hearts sign Hearts quality players during the forthcoming transfer window.

2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I don't think anyone is saying we are going down, they are simply highlighting valid concerns that results over the last 12 months have been poor and are getting worse.

I have no interest in betting on Hearts to be relegated, my interest is in seeing Hearts sign Hearts quality players during the forthcoming transfer window.

So not a relegation battle then?

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Re. the last paragraph, David....I don't know how to break this to you, but.....!

Archived