Lawrence Shankland wins PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year 2024 (updated)

Tenor

The shortlist for the 2024 PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year has been announced.

Shankland is up against O'Riley, Butland and Tavernier for the award. Obviously, Shankland should win, and even [nearly] every weegie-loving pundit agrees too.

However, I was surprised (and not surprised) to learn that out of the last 33 winners of the award, 32 have been either Celtic or Rangers players. How can that be possible with some of the incredible non-OF players who have lit up the league?!

I thought it might be fun to remember some of the names from the past that should have won the award (Hearts and non-Hearts). I'll start:

- Hearts: Rudi

- Non-Hearts: Eremenko

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• RustyRightPeg

• jbee647

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

martoon

2005/06

Paul Hartley (Hearts)

2007/08

Phil O'Donnell (Motherwell)

Uncle Buck

Michael Higdon won it in 2013 and he was the first non Old Firm player to win it since Jim Bett in 1990. That’s mad.

Uncle Buck

I reckon Craig Gordon should have won it in 05/06. 

Famous 1874

Craig Gordon should have won it 2 seasons back. He won the writers player of the year. 

martoon
14 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I reckon Craig Gordon should have won it in 05/06. 

He did get the "writers" that season.

The only player to get that award three times, I belive. Twice with us, the other with Celtic.

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s because the players are picking their hardest opponent they faced, so with that in mind  it’s not surprising that the majority of nominees and winners come from the top 2 teams. As a player Rangers and Celtic individuals are by far your toughest opponents man for man. 

Having said that I think it will go to Shankland this season, as he has ruffled every teams feathers everywhere he’s gone. It’s a long time since we saw a player truly feared as he is, with teams doubling up and changing their systems to take extra measures to stop him. When teams have to resort to that it tells you something about how they feel about the player. He has the intimidation factor and is feared 

copa-mundial

As I've said and wrote on here numerous times. I'll be bitterly disappointed if Shankland doesn't win it. Even more so if Tavernier gets it. 

Edited by copa-mundial

7 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

As I've said and wrote on here numerous times. I'll be bitterly disappointed if Shankland doesn't win it. Even more so if Tavernier gets it. 

I'd maybe be OK with Tavernier winning the PFA Scotland Players' Penalty Taker of the Year award, but there's no chance he deserves the big one! If it's not Shankland, it's a disgrace!

LarrysRightFoot

I’m sure this is voted for weeks ago which I think is a bit of a joke. I think Shanks will get it though. 

On a related note I heard Steven Robinson saying he voted for Naismith as manager of the year. 

Thomaso
49 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

Stand by to be disappointed 😞

I've said it before... I think Butland is going to win it.  Think writers might pick Shankland but wouldnt surprise me if Butland wins that also.  He is being pushed forward for England selection after every game.

frankblack

Anyone that knows how this goes realises its going to a Sevco player.  Probably Tavernier for his pens.

jbee647

Nothing more than an old firm popularity contest where players vote for there pals or players of their favourite team

Shankland could score 50 goals this season and an old firm player will still win it.

Bazzas right boot

These awards were highlighted to be a shame when Gerrard won it over Davies.

Can't take them seriously anymore.

karipidis
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

These awards were highlighted to be a shame when Gerrard won it over Davies.

Can't take them seriously anymore.

Issue with that it is voted before the end of the season so Scottish cup hadn’t even been played. 

Stick on to be Tavernier . The boy has scored so many ( often unjust ) penalties , he has broken in to some tables for European goalscorers I seem to remember . Highlights what a sham the game is up here . I am sure he was sandwiched in between world class players like Ronaldo ect :lol: 

Funny he has never been picked up to play LB for a top club ………. 

Bazzas right boot
56 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Issue with that it is voted before the end of the season so Scottish cup hadn’t even been played. 

He'd still won the lc and made the sc final.

RustyRightPeg

When do the votes close? 

I heard Halliday saying on OG last week that they had to vote for their team of the year about 3/4 weeks ago. Completely stupid when you factor in how many games/how much time is left of the season at that point.

If carlsberg did rivals...

We could win the treble and the Eurovision song contest and the award would still go to an OF player!

1 minute ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

We could win the treble and the Eurovision song contest and the award would still go to an OF player!

:lol: 

Pretty sure Aberdeen have a star above their badge for this already 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Funny he has never been picked up to play LB for a top club ………. 

Is that because he's a Right Back? 

karipidis
42 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He'd still won the lc and made the sc final.

Don’t disagree at all that he should have won it, but the Scottish cup is such a big factor in the season that it seems strange to decide before the end of the season. 

13 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Is that because he's a Right Back? 

Apologies , yes 

If carlsberg did rivals...

Tbf, with regards to Tavernier, most of us on here would score 15 goals a season if we got to take 25 penalties!

7 minutes ago, If carlsberg did rivals... said:

Tbf, with regards to Tavernier, most of us on here would score 15 goals a season if we got to take 25 penalties!

Yip . The SFA and SPFL should have actually been embarrassed by his inclusion in those record tables , as they highlight something very rotten about football in our country . Instead the media were trumpeting it 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Nothing more than an old firm popularity contest where players vote for there pals or players of their favourite team

Shankland could score 50 goals this season and an old firm player will still win it.

Exactly, just another example of why football in this country is a joke and how the majority are happy for two teams to dominate. 

Pasquale for King

They have all these awards before the end of the season so they can all have a nice meal and a piss up before everyone ****s off for the summer.

gnasher75

Does anyone know how the voting works?

Do players simply vote for their team of the year and then the player who gets most votes is player of the year... or do they vote for their team of the year and then vote for player of the year separately?

Hopefully it's the latter as I can see Butland getting into a huge % of the teams of the year as the best keeper in the league. 

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Does anyone know how the voting works?

Do players simply vote for their team of the year and then the player who gets most votes is player of the year... or do they vote for their team of the year and then vote for player of the year separately?

Hopefully it's the latter as I can see Butland getting into a huge % of the teams of the year as the best keeper in the league. 

The first

Considering Tavenier is the highest rated player on several stat sites (WhoScored and Sofascore) and has the most Motm awards it wouldn't be a surprise or unfair if he won it, even through Maroon tinted glasses. 

Any of the 4 could win it though. 

Sooks
17 hours ago, Chop said:

Considering Tavenier is the highest rated player on several stat sites (WhoScored and Sofascore) and has the most Motm awards it wouldn't be a surprise or unfair if he won it, even through Maroon tinted glasses. 

Best striking partnership Tavernier and the SFA for most assists

vegas-voss

The PFA award is shite it just usually comes down to what old firm team the players support the most.

Paris 84
20 hours ago, Chop said:

Maroon tinted glasses? 

TheBigO
On 29/04/2024 at 21:56, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m sure this is voted for weeks ago which I think is a bit of a joke. I think Shanks will get it though. 

On a related note I heard Steven Robinson saying he voted for Naismith as manager of the year. 

Being voted for a few weeks back probably helps Shanks!!haha

ToadKiller Dog
Posted (edited)

If an ugly Goalkeeper on the list it just shows that the uglies don't really get value for the money they spend on attacking players .

It Butland is in why not Mitov of st johnstone he has pulled off countless saves keeping a crap st johnstone from some real doings .

can see why the Orc capt might get it is maybe his last season in Scotland. 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Scottish Daily Mail already showing their hand with a half page spread on Butland. Surprise, surprise.

1 hour ago, Paris 84 said:

Maroon tinted glasses? 

Aye, you know saying he's not very good yet his stats and ratings all point to him actually being good. The best player in the league good. 

Lovecraft

It was always gonna be Butland.  The press here never shut up about him.

4 minutes ago, Chop said:

Aye, you know saying he's not very good yet his stats and ratings all point to him actually being good. The best player in the league good. 

Bearsden would be better suited for you.

27 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Bearsden would be better suited for you.

Fsir enough, you should stick to posting utter drivel in The Shed though. 

Craig_
47 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Has looked pretty shaky whenever I've seen him, huns must be looking to offload him for a ludicrous fee in the summer!

Paris 84
1 hour ago, Chop said:

To my knowledge that’s four posts so far from you and each and every one is Rangers related. Shocked!! 

TheBigO
23 hours ago, Chop said:

There's ways to look at it though, right?  I mean I'd like to have a great pass completion rate, for example, as a Ranger FB.  Or as a set piece taker for a team who dominates 80% of of 90% of their games, you'd hope your assists etc would look good.  If you're a decent player, you'll have good stats if you play for Rangers.

The devil's advocate is if he's the best player in the best team, does that not make him player of the year!?!?  I can see that argument and you can't just dismiss OF players cos they play for the OF and it "isn't fair".  Not had his best season, but Calum McGregor is a top player for example.  O'Riley has been very good too.

But I do think you have to have really done something, stood out for them above your teammates to get the prize.  Has Tavernier done that?  Genuine question.  His stats may be good, but does he look the best player on the park when he plays?  I don't think he does personally.

Shanks has done more for his team and been a game winner on more occasions.  Danny Armstrong I'd suggest similar in his own way.  McCowan and Cameron have both been excellent for Dundee, real heart beat of that team.  I think these are all players who've risen above if that makes sense.

Fact is, this is voted for by the players.  Players are simply voting for the best player they've played against but I don't think it's really as simple as that personally.  And we all know Scottish football is full of OF supporters, the bloody backwater it is, so pretty easy to vote for the captain of your boyhood team!!

db211833
1 hour ago, Chop said:

Stats can say what they want, he is a defender who can't defend and gets penalties handed to him that no other player does. He isn't even rangers best player, never mind the league.

38 minutes ago, Paris 84 said:

To my knowledge that’s four posts so far from you and each and every one is Rangers related. Shocked!! 

One supporting Israel and 3 supporting the huns. Doubt he'll last long.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I disagree, Tavpen will win it even though we all know Shanks is an all round better player. I have never thought scoring a penalty should be included in goals per season as it's a huge thing if the keeper saves it and it should really be an easy goal. Scoring in open play with defenders trying to stop you is far harder.

jbee647
8 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

They actually believe he should be Englands #1… absolutely no chance, only folk who rate him at that level are the Scottish Glasgow press, a decent Scottish league goalkeeper, no more

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Lawrence Shankland wins PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year 2024 (updated)