'Hearts are in a relegation battle'

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I don't think 'relegation battle' is the right term to use at this stage.

We're not even half way through the season yet - I don't think that means any side is in a relegation battle just now.

That said, the 'we wont be down there, we're too good to go down' type chat is incredibly naïve. We're in a dangerous position and we've put ourselves at risk by being there.

Refusing to acknowledge that and the very real threat of the possibility of being drawn in to one of said battles in the latter half of the season is foolish.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

We have played the majority of the bottom 6 sides in the fairly recent past. The results were Dundee (lost), Kilmarnock (lost), Partick (drew) and Hamilton (drew). Do you not even find it a bit ironic/strange that in the game that in the game we played against Ross County (where on here I've heard comments going from played well to played excellently) we also only got a draw. Is that what we have now come to, a team with a section of fans who are happy to see us draw at home against the bottom sides in the league and actually consider the performance against Ross County as excellent. We failed to win any of those games due to our limitations, not because of the quality of the opposition, and it is our limitations which could drag us into trouble.

A portion of our support seem to be in a parallel universe where we're ticking along quite nicely thank you very much. It's incredibly naive and at the moment we're relying entirely on a few teams being worse than us. This situation is why some of us have been moaning about recruitment and management for the past 12 to 18 months - because poor recruitment and poor management tends to have this effect. We've been sleepwalking into this for ages and a fair few folk are refusing to wake up.

2 minutes ago, Erik said:

We're not even half way through the season yet - I don't think that means any side is in a relegation battle just now.

That said, the 'we wont be down there, we're too good to go down' type chat is incredibly naïve. We're in a dangerous position and we've put ourselves at risk by being there.

Refusing to acknowledge that and the very real threat of the possibility of being drawn in to one of said battles in the latter half of the season is foolish.

Good post Erik.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Erik said:

Correct in every aspect.

The Old Tolbooth
3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

It was you who used the bookies as evidence that we would not lose the next two games.

I would still like to know if your seat faces the pitch or has a restricted view. FYI Hamilton passed the ball better, got forward quicker, were in and around our box more and had more attempts on goal, which wasn't difficult given we had none until a dead ball situation! Are you sure football's your sport of choice? You seem to have very little understanding of the game, fantastic vocabulary but little knowledge of football!

You're wasting your time Bob, he's clearly clueless as to the situation we're actually in, possibly just a young kid who hasn't experienced it before and seen how easily getting dragged into a relegation dogfight can actually happen. 

Don't get me wrong, if we have a decent transfer window then it could work out to be fine with us staying in or around mid table, but it's gotten to the stage that all our eggs are now in one basket and we don't have a lot of funds available to bring in any decent quality, and judging by the last few transfer windows, my confidence is very low in us doing anything. 

Just now, Erik said:

We are in a position where we need to bring a few decent players in to turn things around.   That is likely to get us to the summer safely.

There are shades of 1998/99 in this for me.  Until Saturday I was confident that we'd start to turn things around.  Abysmal refereeing aside, we were terrible before Brandon's sending off and offered pretty much nothing after it.  I do think that we're finally starting to see some grit in the team but we still look like losing a goal a game and rarely look like creating clear cut chances.  I'm not going to panic now but a lot depends on what happens in January.  We badly need some creativity.  If we have the same group of players and start February badly, I'll really start to worry.

1 minute ago, johnmitchell said:

You're wasting your time Bob, he's clearly clueless as to the situation we're actually in, possibly just a young kid who hasn't experienced it before and seen how easily getting dragged into a relegation dogfight can actually happen. 

Don't get me wrong, if we have a decent transfer window then it could work out to be fine with us staying in or around mid table, but it's gotten to the stage that all our eggs are now in one basket and we don't have a lot of funds available to bring in any decent quality, and judging by the last few transfer windows, my confidence is very low in us doing anything. 

I think we will do very little or no significant business in January John. I don't think there is any money and I think CL knows this.

He knows there is no money to pay off the dross, but more importantly, he knows there is no money to pay off CL, Austin Mcphee, John Daly etc and no money to employ a traditional manager who will bring his own backroom staff with him!  

All roads lead to Gorgie

It is debatable whether this team is Cathro's or Levein's, probably a mixture of both but CL now has a massive chance to get it sorted in the window. If we were relegated it would be gross negligence on his part and Ann Budge would be highly culpable as well so I am sure a whole lot of hard work in getting this vital window right is taking place right now. Hopefully the McGinn rumours are correct and that would be a start.

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Long way to go

We're nearly half way through the season with a  tough run of fixtures coming up before the Jan window.  This is a team that failed miserably in the league cup and has taken half a season to even look like it can win a game (and then still doesn't).  Major surgery required.  

2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Levein was a great player for us however, he spend his career at Hearts because (sadly) he did his knee in, and no other Club would touch him as a consequence.

He cared about Hearts that much when he was Manager that he jumped at the first chance to leave on the eve of a big European game.

He is now back at Hearts because after his Scotland gig and his arrogant reputation in the game, he is a busted flush as a Manager and again no other team will touch him!

I have no doubt that Levein is trying his best however he is yesterdays man, and taking us nowhere.

That may well play out to be the case Thomaso. 

This is Leveins fault that we're in this situation, I don't think anyone would deny that. We might have been a completely different team this season had he sacked Cathro in May and brought in a reasonable coach and signed the right players. 

Unfortunately we acted too late in the day and we got stuck with this lot. The board couldn't risk bringing in an inexperienced coach and now here we are. 

So yeah, maybe I'm looking at it glass half full but people need to realise and accept that no one could do anything with this squad and only the January window can address that.

1 minute ago, bobskeldon said:

I think we will do very little or no significant business in January John. I don't think there is any money and I think CL knows this.

He knows there is no money to pay off the dross, but more importantly, he knows there is no money to pay off CL, Austin Mcphee, John Daly etc and no money to employ a traditional manager who will bring his own backroom staff with him!  

were-all-doomed.jpg

The Old Tolbooth
Just now, bobskeldon said:

I totally agree Bob, at best we might bring in one or two players, I reckon we're about 9 players away from a good side! (I'd keep Berra and the keeper) 

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We are in a position where we need to bring a few decent players in to turn things around.   That is likely to get us to the summer safely.

I hope you are correct, I really do.

But........... the position you've just described is exactly where we were at the start of the season as well and look how that's panned out.

Theres a lot of significant hard graft required to dig us out of this hole - I suspect a 'few decent players' is merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of the overhaul needed.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
13 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

It was you who used the bookies as evidence that we would not lose the next two games.

I would still like to know if your seat faces the pitch or has a restricted view. FYI Hamilton passed the ball better, got forward quicker, were in and around our box more and had more attempts on goal, which wasn't difficult given we had none until a dead ball situation! Are you sure football's your sport of choice? You seem to have very little understanding of the game, fantastic vocabulary but little knowledge of football!

We're talking about before the sending off, there was one good chance and it went to Hamilton, but the opening exchanges were pretty even. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
10 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I'd have to be very young to remember being relegated right enough.

Just now, Erik said:

I hope you are correct, I really do.

But........... the position you've just described is exactly where we were at the start of the season as well and look how that's panned out.

Theres a lot of significant hard graft required to dig us out of this hole - I suspect a 'few decent players' is merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of the overhaul needed.

Every transfer is a gamble.  What we need are scouts that can pinpoint the ones we need, and I suspect that is the crux of our problem in recent signings post Romanov.

A few decent players would be enough to get us out of any relegation problem.  We need more than that to make the team challenge for anything.

3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

We're talking about before the sending off, there was one good chance and it went to Hamilton, but the opening exchanges were pretty even. 

I remember a peach of a pass through their defence from Buaben that we should have put away.

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Do you believe that we will get money for Martin, Novak, Stockton, Grizzly etc in January? Because if we don't get money i.e. a transfer fee, we are paying them to leave. One or two players won't fix the root cause of our demise on the pitch, that will only happen when AB firstly acknowledges what a complete mess she has made of the football department and secondly sorts it! 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I remember a peach of a pass through their defence from Buaben that we should have put away.

Exactly, I'm not saying Hearts were good but it was pretty even. There was a run down the right from Milinkovic also that just lacked the final ball.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Do you believe that we will get money for Martin, Novak, Stockton, Grizzly etc in January? Because if we don't get money i.e. a transfer fee, we are paying them to leave. One or two players won't fix the root cause of our demise on the pitch, that will only happen when AB firstly acknowledges what a complete mess she has made of the football department and secondly sorts it! 

That's not the only two options when it comes to transfers, you're clueless.

August Landmesser

We've lost the same number of games as Motherwell, and conceded fewer goals than them, our problem is draws - which is because we're not scoring enough at the moment, although we are creating a fair few chances so goals will come, it's inevitable. Also, Jamie W is coming back into a bit of form...

IF we win our next two games, we're up to fifth and a wee bit clear of the bottom, ignore the Celtic game - anything from that would be a bonus and we have another couple of winnable games (a terrible St J away, and a battle with Hibs at Tynie) before heading up to Pittodrie to beat a manager-less and demoralised Aberdeen.

So, that's 13-15 points before the winter break, easy peasy. Relegation me bollix.

HHGH.

4 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Who knows?  Worst case I can see the club realising it has to find some money here to recoup it later.

1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Having just wheeled out the 'you're only in a relegation battle if you get relegated' topper - I'm not sure you should be labelling anyone else clueless tbh.

Can those people on here who think we’re not in trouble at the moment please actually provide sound reasons as to why they don’t think we’re in trouble other than we’re too good to go down or January will fix things.

Stats don’t lie. We’re 3 points from bottom, at the bottom of the recent form guide table, averaged a point a game in last 12 months and have a difficult schedule before the break.

The people shouting this are the same ones who said things would pick up with a run of 6 games at home and wait until we get back to Tynecastle. 

Things havent improved. We are a squad with some good individual players but lack quality in key areas. Some of those areas have been deficient over last few windows which fans have seen but haven’t been addressed. 

We we have trips to 2 grounds prior to split where our record is poor. Highly improbable get anything from the Celtic game and a Hibs game that could go either way. How Motherwell are 12/5 on Saturday, I really don’t know considering they’ve outplayed teams much better than us away from home.

I’m not saying we will go down but we’ll be about 10th before split. That is form to suggest we are in trouble

portobellojambo1
23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

A portion of our support seem to be in a parallel universe where we're ticking along quite nicely thank you very much. It's incredibly naive and at the moment we're relying entirely on a few teams being worse than us. This situation is why some of us have been moaning about recruitment and management for the past 12 to 18 months - because poor recruitment and poor management tends to have this effect. We've been sleepwalking into this for ages and a fair few folk are refusing to wake up.

At the end of all this, for example the final meeting before the FoH take over the running of the club, we may well be in a situation where the closing speech could be along the lines "Well, at the start of all this we we were in the Championship, the club is now being handed over to the control of FoH, and in the 5 years that have elapsed we have managed to get the team back to the Championship". The frightening part is that there are probably a number of posters on here who if at such a meeting would stand up and applaud.

Just now, merseyjambo said:

Can those people on here who think we’re not in trouble at the moment please actually provide sound reasons as to why they don’t think we’re in trouble other than we’re too good to go down or January will fix things.

Stats don’t lie. We’re 3 points from bottom, at the bottom of the recent form guide table, averaged a point a game in last 12 months and have a difficult schedule before the break.

The people shouting this are the same ones who said things would pick up with a run of 6 games at home and wait until we get back to Tynecastle. 

Things havent improved. We are a squad with some good individual players but lack quality in key areas. Some of those areas have been deficient over last few windows which fans have seen but haven’t been addressed. 

We we have trips to 2 grounds prior to split where our record is poor. Highly improbable get anything from the Celtic game and a Hibs game that could go either way. How Motherwell are 12/5 on Saturday, I really don’t know considering they’ve outplayed teams much better than us away from home.

I’m not saying we will go down but we’ll be about 10th before split. That is form to suggest we are in trouble

Sod all is going to change before January so suck it up buttercup.

Judge our position by the time of the cup derby.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Exactly, I'm not saying Hearts were good but it was pretty even. There was a run down the right from Milinkovic also that just lacked the final ball.

It wasn't really the final ball that let us down it was no one wanting to get in dangerous positions to be on the end of anything coming into the six yard box. Isma is a bit like Watt in that when you want him in the box he is out wide and when he needs to come to the ball he is on his heels. Look how our keeper is under pressure when anything is swung in close to the goal line and contrast that with the lack of pressure we put on in similar situations !

25 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yes, next 6 games thread someone said as much. 

We'll see Thomaso, I think we'll do ok and cling on in 6th until January, Motherwell game is a massive game for us.

What makes me think Levein will get it right? His future depends on it and he can't afford to get it wrong. Also I think he did give Neilson and Cathro complete freedom on how they ran their ship and who came in and who was out. Now as the manager though, being the guy that makes all the decisions, he will know exactly what we need.

People are comparing this with Cathro. Cathro was a novice, with zero experience and no ability to command a dressing room. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Jim Jefferies had the exact same record as Levein has when he came here during his first spell. He inherited someone else's team and had to weed out the shite. Thank **** JKB wasn't around in those days. 

No really happy clapping. It's more of a pragmatic view that we're shite, the squads not good enough, we're a mid table side and no one can do anything to change that at the moment. We're also in the top 6 almost halfway through the season with this awful, unbalanced squad, which isn't the worst thing in the world. Therefore, 3/4 players in January and we are certain to improve. 

There will be a cut off point for Levein. Clearly getting gubbed in the majority of these games should spell the end but if we're still in there come January, he deserves until the end of the season at the very least and I'd expect us to progress.

OK you make some valid points which I can accept.

With regards to JJ in his first spell - he did have to weed out the shite, and he did so pretty quickly. Within a couple of years he built one of the most exciting Hearts teams I ever saw, with great signings like Weir, Cameron, McCann, Rossett, Flogel, Bruno, Salvatore, Adam, etc, - a side that went on to give me my best day ever!!

If Levein can do that I''ll happily eat my old Hetz bunnet.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It wasn't really the final ball that let us down it was no one wanting to get in dangerous positions to be on the end of anything coming into the six yard box. Isma is a bit like Watt in that when you want him in the box he is out wide and when he needs to come to the ball he is on his heels. Look how our keeper is under pressure when anything is swung in close to the goal line and contrast that with the lack of pressure we put on in similar situations !

Yeah totally agree, Isma is completely wasted out wide and offers nothing. I'd start with Lewis Moore out wide in the next game with Isma or Lafferty up front.

7 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

So tell me what are these options for pish poor out of form players?  Loan them out?  Who is going to be interested in taking them??

Or pay off the rest of their contracts like we had to do with Osh and Rherras?  More money down the drain!!!

Yeah totally agree, Isma is completely wasted out wide and offers nothing. I'd start with Lewis Moore out wide in the next game with Isma or Lafferty up front.

Now that I totally agree with. There is no linkage between Lafferty and Isma - they need to be played up front closer to each other.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, Thomaso said:

So tell me what are these options for pish poor out of form players?  Loan them out?  Who is going to be interested in taking them??

Or pay off the rest of their contracts like we had to do with Osh and Rherras?  More money down the drain!!!

He said that if people don't pay money for players, you can only pay up their deals. Players will most likely move on for free in this window or go out on loan for a %age of their wage.

August Landmesser
3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Stats don’t lie. We’re 3 points from bottom, at the bottom of the recent form guide table, averaged a point a game in last 12 months and have a difficult schedule before the break. We're SEVEN points from the bottom

The people shouting this are the same ones who said things would pick up with a run of 6 games at home and wait until we get back to Tynecastle. After losing two in a row we're now unbeaten in three games which isn't spectacular, but it is an improvement.

Things havent improved. We are a squad with some good individual players but lack quality in key areas. Some of those areas have been deficient over last few windows which fans have seen but haven’t been addressed. CL has identified those areas (Left back, midfield, winger) as positions he's trying to fill in January

We we have trips to 2 grounds prior to split where our record is poor. Highly improbable get anything from the Celtic game and a Hibs game that could go either way. How Motherwell are 12/5 on Saturday, I really don’t know considering they’ve outplayed teams much better than us away from home. This season's St Johnstone are not the St Johnstone of previous years, we can win in Perth now, and yes, the Hibs game could go either way. Aberdeen are flaky as **** these days, and will likely not have a manager in December

I’m not saying we will go down but we’ll be about 10th before split - do you mean the winter break?. That is form to suggest we are in trouble

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

OK let's revisit that after the cup Derby....buttercup.

He said that if people don't pay money for players, you can only pay up their deals. Players will most likely move on for free in this window or go out on loan for a %age of their wage.

I repeat - what Club is going to sign, or take on loan, a player who is pish poor and out of form?

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Our position in league will be the same as it is going into the cup derby ‘buttercup’

We have very few saleable assets and the only way we can get rid of some of the dross is to pay them off.

Does AB have the same magic money tree Teresa May does???

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

I repeat - what Club is going to sign, or take on loan, a player who is pish poor and out of form?

Hearts! We seem to do that all the time. :smile:

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, Thomaso said:

Clubs that need players.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I said weeks ago on here we could easily be drawn into it unless matters improved, or words to that effect.

Difficult games coming up. 

January will determine a lot and without stating the obvious, it could go either way. 

I agree, beat Motherwell and Hibs then suddenly things will be tight 4th-6th.

Get beat of Dundee and we'll be looking behind us.

Still think we'll win v Dundee and Motherwell and that will set us up in decent way for saints, Celtic and hibs.

However, it could go either way.

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I meant 3 points from being second bottom

Those positions have been deficient for 2 years yet the DOF is only just realising we need players in them now ?????

This years Hearts are not the same team as before either

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Another thread for the foamers to touch each other and feel better.

The wet knickers have turned into shite stained ones now.

43 minutes ago, Erik said:

This is precisely where I am.  We're certainly not too good to go down.  And spelling our name H-E-A-R-T-S won't save us, either. 

I'm more concerned than worried at the moment.  We're decent defensively if you ignore our inability to defend corners, but we have no goals in the team.  There's no one who looks as though they're just a wee bit of good luck away from going on a scoring spree. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

As long as the sleep walkers don't get into any trouble. ^_^

50 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I don't disagree with you.

Plenty teams have been relegated who on paper should be safe.

I think we will turn things around though.

Otherwise the only thing for it is the Dean Bridge?

If there is no improvement after the transfer window then I'll be worried.

Dean Bridge. Excellent left back. Not sure we can afford him though, and he's pretty old. Only has one eye too.

A_A wehatethehibs
57 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We're no. We're just a mid table side with problems in our squad, which we can do nothing about until January.

The only way I can see us getting into difficulties is that we can't bring anyone in during January and have to struggle on with this bunch, which I don't believe will be the case.

Ann Budge and the board have expectations and financial projections. They won't settle for being a bottom 6 team.

Craig Levein has invested the best part of his life in this club, do people really think he doesn't care? Of course he does. 

These people will do their best to get us where we should be. 

Granted mistakes have been made with recruitment and especially Ian Cathro. These are problems that simply can't be fixed this season.

We will get better, 1000% confidence that we will. 

No one cares if he cares, what matters is the results and the performances of Hearts on the pitch. Neither have been good so far at all.

And again, as for January, you're fully confident we'll sign 3 or 4 really good players. I've got absolutely no confidence as I am basing it on the last 4 transfer windows all of which have been pretty much shambolic. The last good January signing who improved our team was Zeefuik, 3 years ago. 

Levein has everything to prove, you mention about not being able to fix the problems this season - I think nobody is in any doubt it'll take time. People very much are in doubt about who should be given that time - there is very little trust that Craig Levein is actually the right man for the job.

6 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Well thought out comment Toshy.

:welldone:

Archived