Ann Budge update

Texia

So why not come out and tell the fans that? Dont we deserve it after the backing we have given?

Or do we deserve to believe that we may get a high profile HC, when the reality was somewhat different?

You have a point.

Many on here just do not appreciate the financial disaster that the appointment of Cathro was - wasting money on duds in January, losing revenue by getting knocked out of the SC by Hibs, failing to qualify for Europe, and failure to progress in the LC have all severely prejudiced planned budgets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bowmans_Boot

You have a point.

Many on here just do not appreciate the financial disaster that the appointment of Cathro was - wasting money on duds in January, losing revenue by getting knocked out of the SC by Hibs, failing to qualify for Europe, and failure to progress in the LC have all severely prejudiced planned budgets.

Fair enough. I just want the club to be honest with us and tell us how it is: still no announcement/statement on the new stand shortfall and how we will fund it. As someone who has supported the club financially throughout all of the problems (worthless shares, STs, FOH, unnecessary retail purchases etc) I find that a little irritating, to be honest.

You have a point.

And yet the person at the top of this oh so innovative and grandiose footballing structure, who we are led to believe is in this all encompassing role has been nowhere to be seen! No accountability for anything. What a complete joke, except it isn't.

Whilst the support buy huge numbers of season tickets and continue to have their FoH monies withdrawn each month we see our money wasted on dross like Oshinawa, Rherras, Sammon and Martin to name but 4 of a lengthy list. This due to the fact those running our club refuse to put in place a proper manager and made the disastrous Cathro appointment. The knock on effect has been huge, as you rightly say and the financial hit can't be underestimated.

And that's why there is huge unrest, not only by some, like me, on JKB but as the likes of Nelly Terraces says amongst the greater support. Enough is enough. They've taken the piss for long enough. Appoint a manager who is worthy of the name and worthy of being the Hearts manager. Someone who will inspire the team and galvanise the support. Appointing Daly is going to lead to serious unrest in the stands and they would deserve all criticism thrown at them.

shambles, the problem is staring Budge in the face. Get the director of football  out the club. The transfer window shuts soon, and we are crying out for players. One by one the candidates are bailing out. The football side at Tynecastle is going to get worse if that clown  Levein is allowed to carry on making mistakes, and blowing money on dross.

siegementality

This is an extract from her first statement back in May 2014.

These decisions have been driven by everything that has been said about needing a long-term strategy, built over a 3-5-year planning horizon. For those reasons, the new Board believes that we need to bring in someone with Craig's experience to guide that vision. With such a strong Director of Football on board, we feel we have to spend our limited resources on strengthening and building the Coaching side of the business, rather than having a 1st team manager. Robbie Neilson will take over as Head Coach for the 1st team and we will bring in a strong support team to work with Robbie in terms of an Assistant Coach and U20s Coach.

Maybe CL has run his race the same as SG.

You have a point.

True enough.

CL's credibility must be rock-bottom with Ann Budge.   He needs to get it right this time or his position will be untenable.

I love Ann- she's brought a professionalism to a club that was previously full of egos and not much intelligence.

You have a point.

What is annoying about this is that many folk on here, myself included, warned about the importance of on-field success during this period and time after time spelt out the simple sensible reasoning why we absolutely could nto afford to be failing to deliver on the park, and why 'those' Hibs ties were so important and so on and so on.

I'm not a businessman, but even I could see that.

Yet many on here were quick to criticise anyone who dared to point it out. 'It takes time for the new guy to settle in', 'we don't define ourselves by results against hibs', 'stop moaning and just be grateful you have a team to follow' etc etc etc - so many folk have made so many excuses over the last year or two and we're now feeling the effects of that.

As a club we're in a bit of a hole just now - a hole which we appear to have dug for ourselves.

You have a point.

It was the Levein/Cathro partnership that did all the damage. Never forget one of the guilty parties is still in control of the football department.

shambles, the problem is staring Budge in the face. Get the director of football  out the club. The transfer window shuts soon, and we are crying out for players. One by one the candidates are bailing out. The football side at Tynecastle is going to get worse if that clown  Levein is allowed to carry on making mistakes, and blowing money on dross.

The lesson has been learned. What dross have we wasted money on this window? This window has been almost a 100% turnaround from the previous two in terms of quality of player brought in. Berra, Lafferty, Smith all look great signings so far. Smith-Brown and Randall young loanees so won't be costing much. Budge has announced they are reviewing the structure. More lessons learned? Cathro was sacked. More lessons learned? Sometimes folk should think before posting. Everybody makes mistakes. It's the ones who learn from them that prosper rather than the ones who continually regurgitate and repeat previous failings. Name a football manager who has never signed a player that turns out to be a dud for their club? At the moment we have the opposite in svottish football in recent times. Deila at Celtic. Warburton at Rangers. I'd suggest Caixinho at Rangers. Even Lennon at Hibs has signed duds and moved them on eg Graham, Keatings, et al.

Jambo 4 Ever

Hearts can't control what the media and unemployed managers say about us in the press.

As Daly, Elvis and Hartley are all out of work and/or can be employed as our head coach straightaway I'll make a confident prediction.

None of them will be our new manager.

Who will be then?

If the management structure changes and we revert to 'normal, traditional' manager role out of all the names in the hat that are now available one is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion. Craig Levein. I susoevt that's what will be announced next week. Current structure has run its course, football side of things now back on its feet eg academy, time to move on with the next three/five year plan. I suspect that will be the gist of the announcement. Could be a coaching role for Pressley maybe not. Depends on whether they have someone lined up to take over from Levein next summer. Don't think he will want to do the job for more than one season.

siegementality

If the management structure changes and we revert to 'normal, traditional' manager role out of all the names in the hat that are now available one is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion. Craig Levein. I susoevt that's what will be announced next week. Current structure has run its course, football side of things now back on its feet eg academy, time to move on with the next three/five year plan. I suspect that will be the gist of the announcement. Could be a coaching role for Pressley maybe not. Depends on whether they have someone lined up to take over from Levein next summer. Don't think he will want to do the job for more than one season.

I'll take it all except Levein as manager. Time to move on from his footballing philosophy and bring in fresh ideas.

The Treasurer

People have been moaning that there is a lack of communication from the club. As soon as they do issue a statement those same people a queuing up to pick holes in it.

My take on things is that we're not convinced those candidates available right away (ie those out of work just now) are the right fit and are not being considered.

I think they have identified who they want but he is currently in work and the club have decided it's better to wait until next week when we have an international break, to announce their preferred candidate.

siegementality

People have been moaning that there is a lack of communication from the club. As soon as they do issue a statement those same people a queuing up to pick holes in it.

My take on things is that we're not convinced those candidates available right away (ie those out of work just now) are the right fit and are not being considered.

I think they have identified who they want but he is currently in work and the club have decided it's better to wait until next week when we have an international break, to announce their preferred candidate.

By announcing their preferred candidate I presume you mean appoint the new Head Coach?

I am beginning to think that if Hartley or Pressley were getting the job then why not offer them it now? Both are free and available.

I have a feeling we are looking around elsewhere tbh.

Hope so.

Buffalo Bill

[EDIT - I accidentally posted this on the 'stand by' thread, rather than this one, for where it was meant]

The main thing I took from yesterday's statement is that neither Pressley nor Hartley has been announced as manager a full 10 days after they were interviewed which could suggest that they didn't do enough to impress, or perhaps in Pressley's case, the club maybe realise that for many fans, he'd been a very unpopular appointment.

The on-going situation seems to point to either widening the search, perhaps now looking at candidates who are currently in employment or simply giving Daly more time to make it easier to appoint him.

The only other scenario I can foresee is if Levein himself takes over for say the rest of the season. That could in effect, be the best scenario for Ann and Craig, whereby it gives us an experienced manager, which seems to suit Ann, plus it allows Levein to remain in control of his production line of home-grown head coaches, with Daly being groomed into the role?

I dunno!

LerwickJambo85

This is coming across as a bit of a shambles now. Nothing against Daly but Mrs Budge did say in an earlier statement that they would be going for an experienced coach this time, will be disappointed if she goes back on that.

i wish jj was my dad

And yet the person at the top of this oh so innovative and grandiose footballing structure, who we are led to believe is in this all encompassing role has been nowhere to be seen! No accountability for anything. What a complete joke, except it isn't.

Whilst the support buy huge numbers of season tickets and continue to have their FoH monies withdrawn each month we see our money wasted on dross like Oshinawa, Rherras, Sammon and Martin to name but 4 of a lengthy list. This due to the fact those running our club refuse to put in place a proper manager and made the disastrous Cathro appointment. The knock on effect has been huge, as you rightly say and the financial hit can't be underestimated.

And that's why there is huge unrest, not only by some, like me, on JKB but as the likes of Nelly Terraces says amongst the greater support. Enough is enough. They've taken the piss for long enough. Appoint a manager who is worthy of the name and worthy of being the Hearts manager. Someone who will inspire the team and galvanise the support. Appointing Daly is going to lead to serious unrest in the stands and they would deserve all criticism thrown at them.

I remember the Hun knuckle-draggers used the slogan 'we deserve better' about 8 or 9 years ago because their form dropped.  They blamed the banks and got the change they demanded too.    

Fortunately, other than a few zoomers who make a lot of noise on here most of us can see the bigger picture.

Maroon Sailor

I read in to that statement that the football set up is not to the liking of the candidates interviewed i.e Levein hovering above them.

Others will have ruled themselves out over financial terms

So the man in the hotseat now is favourite as he ticks both of those boxes, even though he has as much experience as Cathro had

The source is always the problem,LEVEIN.

The Treasurer

I read in to that statement that the football set up is not to the liking of the candidates interviewed i.e Levein hovering above them.

Others will have ruled themselves out over financial terms

So the man in the hotseat now is favourite as he ticks both of those boxes, even though he has as much experience as Cathro had

I read into it that it was the candidates that were not to the club's liking.

Serious candidates would know, roughly, the financial terms.

Daly is not any more or less likely to get the job than he was 3 weeks ago.

Daly is much more likely to get the job now than 3 weeks ago. Any claim to the contrary is ridiculous.

Well said Hendricks.

Our DOF has become an expert in ducking and diving, no matter what is happening at the club, he has this amazing talent of hiding away from the fans and media. I would have way more respect for him if he stepped up and actually tried being the leader of the club. Anne does all the talking for him now, she mentioned the interest from managers that wanted the job, not him!

We need a strong manager with an engaging character, now more than ever.

Maroon Sailor

They must have been to the club's liking at some point to get interviewed let alone the shortlist

Smacks of covering their own yardarms.

Demonstrating to the fans that they are trying their best to bring in the right man and everyone who made the shortlist is not good enough ?

Doesn't wash with me.

Well said Hendricks.

Our DOF has become an expert in ducking and diving, no matter what is happening at the club, he has this amazing talent of hiding away from the fans and media. I would have way more respect for him if he stepped up and actually tried being the leader of the club. Anne does all the talking for him now, she mentioned the interest from managers that wanted the job, not him!

We need a strong manager with an engaging character, now more than ever.

DoFs dont tend to put themselves front and centre when it comes to the media, with good reason. Dont know why we expect Levein to do that. Infact the Levein seems to get more scrutiny than any DoF in Britain.

I remember the Hun knuckle-draggers used the slogan 'we deserve better' about 8 or 9 years ago because their form dropped. They blamed the banks and got the change they demanded too.

Fortunately, other than a few zoomers who make a lot of noise on here most of us can see the bigger picture.

Lean more towards this view.

Glamorgan Jambo

Daly is much more likely to get the job now than 3 weeks ago. Any claim to the contrary is ridiculous.

Do you seriously think a decision of this importance will be influenced by the outcome of an away game at Fir Park?? I don't..

Do you seriously think a decision of this importance will be influenced by the outcome of an away game at Fir Park?? I don't..

It will be influenced by the lack of other candidates and the growing pressure from Levein and the players for him to get the gig.

I am beginning to think that if Hartley or Pressley were getting the job then why not offer them it now? Both are free and available.

Hope so.

I don't doubt it. None of those interviewed can be the one they want otherwise they would have been announced I think. Davies probably told it wasn't him and immediately sent out message saying he had withdrawn. Others staying silent but clearly not getting the job. In all honesty Hartley, Pressley don't have what it takes to get us to next level. Levein as interim until right person available is probably the best option.

You are right it can be read different ways. This is what is on her statement on the Hearts FC Website.

An announcement will be made regarding a permanent appointment next week.

I found that to be a very strange and worrying thing to say. If you know you've got content and news for a statement next week, why not make it this week ? If you're leaving it another week, what are you doing in the transfer market this week, given there are 9 days left, and why was there no mention of such activity like there was last time she spoke. Why was there no mention of 'experienced candidates' this time around. It was a statement which told you nothing and everything at the same time.

Are we having to accept the fact, that although plenty good to very good candidates applied, not a single one of them fitted what we needed in terms of experience, our structure and/or salary. Does that then follow that the structure of the football department might be wrong.

Why mention the structure of the football department and admit to discussing it if you have no intention of changing it and don't perceive there may be an issue. Why mention it at all.

The 3 year plan part of the statement is some kind of joke. Never mentioned before in any statement suddenly we are at the end of one 3 year plan and embarking on another. What was the last plan ? Did we achieve it ? Whats the next plan. What happened to the 5 year plan ?

All in all, a very downbeat, strange and concerning statement in regard to the football department.

[EDIT - I accidentally posted this on the 'stand by' thread, rather than this one, for where it was meant]

The main thing I took from yesterday's statement is that neither Pressley nor Hartley has been announced as manager a full 10 days after they were interviewed which could suggest that they didn't do enough to impress, or perhaps in Pressley's case, the club maybe realise that for many fans, he'd been a very unpopular appointment.

The on-going situation seems to point to either widening the search, perhaps now looking at candidates who are currently in employment or simply giving Daly more time to make it easier to appoint him.

The only other scenario I can foresee is if Levein himself takes over for say the rest of the season. That could in effect, be the best scenario for Ann and Craig, whereby it gives us an experienced manager, which seems to suit Ann, plus it allows Levein to remain in control of his production line of home-grown head coaches, with Daly being groomed into the role?

I dunno!

Or until NI are out of the World Cup.

The Treasurer

They must have been to the club's liking at some point to get interviewed let alone the shortlist

Smacks of covering their own yardarms.

Demonstrating to the fans that they are trying their best to bring in the right man and everyone who made the shortlist is not good enough ?

Doesn't wash with me.

Their cv's may have looked good to the club but once they met face to face then it's highly likely that our interest cooled.

This "list" that everyone talks about is only what the media have made up. I've seen nothing from the club to suggest this "list" is correct or that it has all possible candidates under consideration

Hope so.

That's my view on it too.

Oops, I meant ABSALOOT SHAN BALLS!!1!!1!!

The Treasurer

I found that to be a very strange and worrying thing to say. If you know you've got content and news for a statement next week, why not make it this week ? If you're leaving it another week, what are you doing in the transfer market this week, given there are 9 days left, and why was there no mention of such activity like there was last time she spoke. Why was there no mention of 'experienced candidates' this time around. It was a statement which told you nothing and everything at the same time.

Are we having to accept the fact, that although plenty good to very good candidates applied, not a single one of them fitted what we needed in terms of experience, our structure and/or salary. Does that then follow that the structure of the football department might be wrong.

Why mention the structure of the football department and admit to discussing it if you have no intention of changing it and don't perceive there may be an issue. Why mention it at all.

The 3 year plan part of the statement is some kind of joke. Never mentioned before in any statement suddenly we are at the end of one 3 year plan and embarking on another. What was the last plan ? Did we achieve it ? Whats the next plan. What happened to the 5 year plan ?

All in all, a very downbeat, strange and concerning statement in regard to the football department.

The delay until next week suggests to me that the preferred candidate is currently employed elsewhere and details are being finalised with his current club.

Makes sense that any announcement is left until next week given that there is a break next weekend.

Instead of finding fault and reasons for doom and gloom in the fact they are reviewing the football structure, we should be glad that they are not just sitting back thinking everything is fine.

You have a point.

If your theory is correct it sounds like AB likes a wee gamble just as much as her DOF. I am surprised that she has put so much faith in him. It really will be interesting to hear what her next announcement is going to be.

I think the reaction on here to much of what has been going on is absolutely ridiculous but it's clear who the real passion supporters are who are frustrated and just want a successful team to watch, nothing wrong with that. I'm trying to see the big picture and not react to speculation, made up press stories and stick to the facts. I worked in the same industry as Ann Budge a long time back and have encountered her at meetings and conferences etc and she's a shrewd no nonsense operator which is why from a personal experience I trust her with the club.

I'm slightly more dubious of CL but ill give him credit for the good things he's done, however his job is:

RESPONSIBILITIES: Executive role, principally responsible for setting the strategy to achieve success on the field and for the day-to-day running of the football side of the business, supported by his management team based at Riccarton.

Therefore I do think he needs to be more accountable and I think there is a potential for AB to cut ties if this appointment doesn't work.

Just checking in to see if some folk are still crying like wee babies, they are. Carry on.

What's your take on it all, Bobby?

i wish jj was my dad

What's the bigger picture?

The club are taking a long term view rather than making a popular appointment or chucking money we don't have at players and/or a high profile coach to appease the arseholes who want instant gratification. You know the types who are 'underwhelmed' at the prospect of us keeping within budget or not 'pushing the boat out' for a 20 goal striker (see Stevie May) or midfielder with 'guile' (see Scott Allan)?

I suspect that they are looking for stability now with a longer term target who isn't yet available. Speculation on my part but I'm inclined to trust a board who don't lose their shit at every setback.    

DoFs dont tend to put themselves front and centre when it comes to the media, with good reason. Dont know why we expect Levein to do that. Infact the Levein seems to get more scrutiny than any DoF in Britain.

Really!

He never comes forward at anytime, some would call that cowardly.

Ah well, back under the desk for Mr Levein, fingers in ears, singing lalalalalalalalalala

Who was referring to Davies???

Don't be a "dick" and read the post I was responding to!

Read my post - i wasn't calling you a dick just anyone using Billy ****ing Davies as a stick to beat the club with.

If you were then so be it.

I agree but I'm telling you now, the chickens will come home to roost with the current set-up.

Finance is at the root of all this. As a club we've been acting weird for a while and I think money is putting a huge strain on judgement and ambition. In short, this main stand must be bleeding us dry. I'd like the club to prove me wrong.

You might be right

But if it is it is.

We had no choice - a longer period of rebuilding the team will just need to be accepted.

We have no magic money tree and have already been gifted ?3m from wealth Hearts fan benefactors

We can only do what we can.

The club are taking a long term view rather than making a popular appointment or chucking money we don't have at players and/or a high profile coach to appease the arseholes who want instant gratification. You know the types who are 'underwhelmed' at the prospect of us keeping within budget or not 'pushing the boat out' for a 20 goal striker (see Stevie May) or midfielder with 'guile' (see Scott Allan)?

I suspect that they are looking for stability now with a longer term target who isn't yet available. Speculation on my part but I'm inclined to trust a board who don't lose their shit at every setback.

So in short, they have made an arse of it. Nobody supporting our team wants the club to return to the way we were run under Romanov. Of course we have to spend within our means but certain people within the club have given fans an expectation and now things seem to be not quite as good as they were making out. Who's fault is that? Is it the fans?

The Treasurer

You have a point.

Agree that the January signings were a waste of resources but the club budget is based on no European football and early exits from both cup competitions.

Not due to lack of ambition, but careful planning for worst case scenario's.

Anything better than that would increase budgets but not had an impact on current plans

BobbyJenkins

Why do you bother?

In the vain hope that the pantwetters and zoomers have calmed down and applied perspective. Carry on.

Archived