Ann Budge update

Texia

And yet the person at the top of this oh so innovative and grandiose footballing structure, who we are led to believe is in this all encompassing role has been nowhere to be seen! No accountability for anything. What a complete joke, except it isn't.

Whilst the support buy huge numbers of season tickets and continue to have their FoH monies withdrawn each month we see our money wasted on dross like Oshinawa, Rherras, Sammon and Martin to name but 4 of a lengthy list. This due to the fact those running our club refuse to put in place a proper manager and made the disastrous Cathro appointment. The knock on effect has been huge, as you rightly say and the financial hit can't be underestimated.

And that's why there is huge unrest, not only by some, like me, on JKB but as the likes of Nelly Terraces says amongst the greater support. Enough is enough. They've taken the piss for long enough. Appoint a manager who is worthy of the name and worthy of being the Hearts manager. Someone who will inspire the team and galvanise the support. Appointing Daly is going to lead to serious unrest in the stands and they would deserve all criticism thrown at them.

You have my backing with this.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am beginning to think that if Hartley or Pressley were getting the job then why not offer them it now? Both are free and available.

I have a feeling we are looking around elsewhere tbh.

Hope so.

Yep exactly my thoughts

Unless Craig and Ann are having a barnie about Elvis v Daly that needs a few days and another game to sort out.

But I think if Ann was absolutely convinced by Elvis he'd be in by now.

In the vain hope that the pantwetters and zoomers have calmed down and applied perspective. Carry on.

Are you still here I though you were away as you couldn' stand reading all the stuff from the pantwetters.

I really have to laugh how grown men resort to name calling like wee kids. It's a forum for people to express their opinions no more no less. Don't take it to heart Bobby.

In the vain hope that the pantwetters and zoomers have calmed down and applied perspective. Carry on.

You could, of course, contribute in a positive way, instead of referring to Hearts fans as pantwetters and zoomers?

Not sure how we lost a lot of money with Jan signings - we moved a lot out in January also

Wages reduced then increased back to what they were surely?

We have a tight budget structure so that argument sounds like a load of pish to me.

The league finish below target did cost us - somebody will know how much.

I don't know what we had budgeted for in the cup but we did get two 'money spinners' against Hibs ;)

I would hope we budget for 1/4s at least though.

Let's say you apply for a post where it is widely known that you will be working under a DoF.  You apply for that post.  You get an interview.  You get a thanks, but no thanks.  You release a public statement saying you can't do it because the structure is wrong. 

Just curious as to why that, in some peoples' minds, equates to 'everything that is wrong at Hearts' rather than it being a poor face-saving attempt by a well known roaster?

maroonedinoz

I am beginning to think that if Hartley or Pressley were getting the job then why not offer them it now? Both are free and available.

Hope so.

I'm convinced this is the case, as any of those spouted about in the press could have been appointed before now.

Logic tells me we have spread the net further and more ambitiously.

I don't know who the target is, but I predict most will be happy with him when he is unveiled.

If I am wrong and it's Daly or Pressley, then we'll all be underwhelmed.....and Ann Budge would know that.

Maroon Sailor

Perspective ?

People on this thread are discussing probably the most important role at any club - might have escaped your notice but nobody is occupying that role at Hearts on a permanent basis right now

Carry on perspectively

You could, of course, contribute in a positive way, instead of referring to Hearts fans as pantwetters and zoomers?

More and more the people with concerns show a bit more reason and depth to why they feel that way.

It's the people who staunchly defend the powers at be who are quickly becoming a bit more offensive in their replies.

BobbyJenkins

Tried that many times, I can do this too if I fancy. If its too much Im sure the Mods will deal with it, cheers.

More and more the people with concerns show a bit more reason and depth to why they feel that way.

It's the people who staunchly defend the powers at be who are quickly becoming a bit more offensive in their replies.

There are a number of decent posts on here and even some of the shoutier ones are at least honest and show a bit of passion. Nothing wrong with that.

I get more irritated by people who add nothing but want everyone to know how superior to our rabble they are.

BobbyJenkins

Perspective ?

People on this thread are discussing probably the most important role at any club - might have escaped your notice but nobody is occupying that role at Hearts on a permanent basis right now

Carry on perspectively

Waaaa waaaa, again try and apply some perspective :)

i wish jj was my dad

Really!

He never comes forward at anytime, some would call that cowardly.

Ah well, back under the desk for Mr Levein, fingers in ears, singing lalalalalalalalalala

I'd love to see the outcome of you saying that to the coward's face

BobbyJenkins

There are a number of decent posts on here and even some of the shoutier ones are at least honest and show a bit of passion. Nothing wrong with that.

I get more irritated by people who add nothing but want everyone to know how superior to our rabble they are.

Clearly aimed at me. I dont think Im superior at all, I just think folk greeting and losing their shit is pathetic and unnecessary.

Maroon Sailor

Waaaa waaaa, again try and apply some perspective :)

What's the perspective you are applying ?

Same as the football side of the club's perspective in appointing a wet behind the ears head coach, can't admit he was out of his depth then sack him on the eve of the league season ?

Sounds like a plan and easy to keep things in perspective when you think about it

as neither side has any facts or figures, all this is, is a bunch of uninformed opinions babbling away, much like the multitude of threads on here. no side has reason or depth but the constant negativity about everything current owner/ director of fitba/ new manager/new stand/ about a half dozen players before the rangers game, doesn't come close to the description "supporter" it more resembles, trying to kick the legs away from under you behaviour, constant negative behaviour/babbling/nit picking is not support.

BobbyJenkins

What's the perspective you are applying ?

Same as the football side of the club's perspective in appointing a wet behind the ears head coach, can't admit he was out of his depth then sack him on the eve of the league season ?

Sounds like a plan and easy to keep things in perspective when you think about it

Previous posts on many threads. Obviously not this one the last few posts. Again use perspective, just cos Ive been a bit of a knob latterly on here doesnt mean I havent put forward valid opinions etc on this and other threads.

Try lifting yer heid up and looking around, then breathe.

BobbyJenkins

as neither side has any facts or figures, all this is, is a bunch of uninformed opinions babbling away, much like the multitude of threads on here. no side has reason or depth but the constant negativity about everything current owner/ director of fitba/ new manager/new stand/ about a half dozen players before the rangers game, doesn't come close to the description "supporter" it more resembles, trying to kick the legs away from under you behaviour, constant negative behaviour/babbling/nit picking is not support.

I totally agree. 

And yet the person at the top of this oh so innovative and grandiose footballing structure, who we are led to believe is in this all encompassing role has been nowhere to be seen! No accountability for anything. What a complete joke, except it isn't.

Whilst the support buy huge numbers of season tickets and continue to have their FoH monies withdrawn each month we see our money wasted on dross like Oshinawa, Rherras, Sammon and Martin to name but 4 of a lengthy list. This due to the fact those running our club refuse to put in place a proper manager and made the disastrous Cathro appointment. The knock on effect has been huge, as you rightly say and the financial hit can't be underestimated.

And that's why there is huge unrest, not only by some, like me, on JKB but as the likes of Nelly Terraces says amongst the greater support. Enough is enough. They've taken the piss for long enough. Appoint a manager who is worthy of the name and worthy of being the Hearts manager. Someone who will inspire the team and galvanise the support. Appointing Daly is going to lead to serious unrest in the stands and they would deserve all criticism thrown at them.

Agree with much of the stuff on the list of mistakes but I don't think there's huge unrest. Unless things bottom out and take a more normal turn (a run of decent results - even with Daly at the helm) then there's a chance it could go that way but even then it'd be unlikely to properly take hold until we're back at Tynecastle and that's a long way off yet.

A whole host of things have all gone a bit iffy at the same time and the club needs a little time to get things back on an even keel. For that reason I can't help think the delay to returning to Tynecastle maybe isn't such a bad thing.

Also, I wouldn't lump Martin in with Osh and Sammon. Or not yet anyway :)

Maroon Sailor

Previous posts on many threads. Obviously not this one the last few posts. Again use perspective, just cos Ive been a bit of a knob latterly on here doesnt mean I havent put forward valid opinions etc on this and other threads.

Try lifting yer heid up and looking around, then breathe.

I've kept a back seat on this issue and not come in on the threads until the last couple of days. Something is not right in ticking all the boxes with regards to the next permanent manager.

An announcement to be made on it next week - that sounds like we won't be appointing anyone not already at the club

BobbyJenkins

I've kept a back seat on this issue and not come in on the threads until the last couple of days. Something is not right in ticking all the boxes with regards to the next permanent manager.

An announcement to be made on it next week - that sounds like we won't be appointing anyone not already at the club

I think it means we wont be appointing someone already at the club, as that would be done already. Just have to wait and see as noone really knows anything.

I agree. Budge and Levein will be keeping everything crossed that we get a result against Motherwqell on Saturday so it makes her announcement that John Daly is the new and permanent head coach a whole lot easier!

Jam Tarts 1874

Hope so.

Certainly seems to be an element of "end of process" for those already interviewed in the wording of the statement.

I'd love to see the outcome of you saying that to the coward's face

Listen mate, I would love to see a bit more fight and aggression from him. What the hells happened to him, I want to see that guy.

Hiding behind Ann at the moment.

Not sure how we lost a lot of money with Jan signings - we moved a lot out in January also

Wages reduced then increased back to what they were surely?

We have a tight budget structure so that argument sounds like a load of pish to me.

The league finish below target did cost us - somebody will know how much.

I don't know what we had budgeted for in the cup but we did get two 'money spinners' against Hibs ;)

I would hope we budget for 1/4s at least though.

Was it not the amount of money a couple of the new Jan signings were getting that caused Walker to get upset? And before you say it I have no proof that this is the case just commenting on what I had read previously.

When I wade through CVs I tend to bin 2/3rds right from the off because the candidates don't have the skills to even get the spelling and grammar correct on their own bloody CV! That is in the arena of finance, so I wonder what it is like wading through football manager CVs...

To honest I don't care if they can't spell as long as they can manage a team and motive the players!

I P Knightley

Hope so.

It could be that, as she said in the statement, the board is looking at the overall structure of the footballing side and assessing whether they should retain the structure they set out with 3 and a bit years ago; tinker with that structure a little, or revert to an old-style 'club manager' structure that seems to be yearned for by many on this and other threads.

JD's not making a complete arse of it; the players appear to be doing better than they did under Cathro so I'd imagine there's no need to rush an appointment of Pressley or Hartley (or whoever) before the weekend. They're not going anywhere else in a hurry.

I found that to be a very strange and worrying thing to say. If you know you've got content and news for a statement next week, why not make it this week ? If you're leaving it another week, what are you doing in the transfer market this week, given there are 9 days left, and why was there no mention of such activity like there was last time she spoke. Why was there no mention of 'experienced candidates' this time around. It was a statement which told you nothing and everything at the same time.

Lining up ducks so that the statement can be made next week with certainty.

Are we having to accept the fact, that although plenty good to very good candidates applied, not a single one of them fitted what we needed in terms of experience, our structure and/or salary. Does that then follow that the structure of the football department might be wrong.

Why mention the structure of the football department and admit to discussing it if you have no intention of changing it and don't perceive there may be an issue. Why mention it at all.

Not necessarily that they'll change it but it's sensible, after 3 years, to conduct a review and see whether things are on track and set up suitably for the next few years. I'd hope they'd be doing that regardless of any incumbents or vacancies. It's basic business to constantly review structures and product offerings.

The 3 year plan part of the statement is some kind of joke. Never mentioned before in any statement suddenly we are at the end of one 3 year plan and embarking on another. What was the last plan ? Did we achieve it ? Whats the next plan. What happened to the 5 year plan ?

All in all, a very downbeat, strange and concerning statement in regard to the football department.

It was a 3-5 year plan. It wouldn't be a sensible business person who set up a 5-year plan and sat back until the end of that five year period before taking a look at the out turn. The (dis) appointment of Cathro and his subsequent sacking is a bit of a seismic event in the scheme of such a plan and it merits a review. I'd rather that review was thorough and conducted by people with facts, figures and insight than played out in the press and fans' forums. 

The lesson has been learned. What dross have we wasted money on this window? This window has been almost a 100% turnaround from the previous two in terms of quality of player brought in. Berra, Lafferty, Smith all look great signings so far. Smith-Brown and Randall young loanees so won't be costing much. Budge has announced they are reviewing the structure. More lessons learned? Cathro was sacked. More lessons learned? Sometimes folk should think before posting. Everybody makes mistakes. It's the ones who learn from them that prosper rather than the ones who continually regurgitate and repeat previous failings. Name a football manager who has never signed a player that turns out to be a dud for their club? At the moment we have the opposite in svottish football in recent times. Deila at Celtic. Warburton at Rangers. I'd suggest Caixinho at Rangers. Even Lennon at Hibs has signed duds and moved them on eg Graham, Keatings, et al.

I see you have named managers that are fuds. And these managers were given the boot. Some other examples like Barry Ferguson Mark McGhie Liam Fox ect.

And the system stays the same Cathro out and some poor sod thrown it like a lamb to the slaughter. Hail King Levein.

i wish jj was my dad

Listen mate, I would love to see a bit more fight and aggression from him. What the hells happened to him, I want to see that guy.

Hiding behind Ann at the moment.

He can't win. If he fronts up he's meddling or interfering.  If he stays out of the public eye he's hiding.  If he sticks to his principles he's stubborn and arrogant. If he changes direction he's been ordered by Ann. 

I was never particularly comfortable or happy with the previous recruitment strategy.  I felt it was too risky so I'm glad he or they changed it.  I'm much happier with the direction we've taken this season. I felt he should have been more hands on with Cathro and maybe bulleted him earlier but I kind of admire his loyalty.  I would have liked to see him tear the arse out of Mikey Stewart and Craigan but he would have been on a hiding to nothing.  He admirably kept his own counsel when JW and his posse were spreading lies until the club shot them down in flames. Without even thinking about the massive rebuild of the infrastructure outwith the first team, I'm satisfied he's still in credit - for now.

I'd also be happy to see him back in the dug-out for stability and experience but he's said he doesn't want to do that and all it would do is give the frothers a better target to aim for.  What I really hope doesn't happen is we lose the second most important person at the club to satisfy a shower of arseholes who are a perfect example of the type of 'I want change now' society that led to Brexit and Trump without the slightest thought about the consequences. 

He can't win. If he fronts up he's meddling or interfering. If he stays out of the public eye he's hiding. If he sticks to his principles he's stubborn and arrogant. If he changes direction he's been ordered by Ann.

I was never particularly comfortable or happy with the previous recruitment strategy. I felt it was too risky so I'm glad he or they changed it. I'm much happier with the direction we've taken this season. I felt he should have been more hands on with Cathro and maybe bulleted him earlier but I kind of admire his loyalty. I would have liked to see him tear the arse out of Mikey Stewart and Craigan but he would have been on a hiding to nothing. He admirably kept his own counsel when JW and his posse were spreading lies until the club shot them down in flames. Without even thinking about the massive rebuild of the infrastructure outwith the first team, I'm satisfied he's still in credit - for now.

I'd also be happy to see him back in the dug-out for stability and experience but he's said he doesn't want to do that and all it would do is give the frothers a better target to aim for. What I really hope doesn't happen is we lose the second most important person at the club to satisfy a shower of arseholes who are a perfect example of the type of 'I want change now' society that led to Brexit and Trump without the slightest thought about the consequences.

I like this post a lot.

Levein shouldn't be untouchable but we should all remember he only wants Hearts to be successful.

BobbyJenkins

Are you still here I though you were away as you couldn' stand reading all the stuff from the pantwetters.

I really have to laugh how grown men resort to name calling like wee kids. It's a forum for people to express their opinions no more no less. Don't take it to heart Bobby.

Changed my mind, Im allowed to do that aye? Grown men acting like kids will be called kids. Doesnt look like youre doing much laughing, pishing yer pants aye, laughing naw.

Cut The Crap

Seems fair to say that the chairwoman's update has failed in both its stated aims (to inform and minimise speculation). 

BobbyJenkins

He can't win. If he fronts up he's meddling or interfering.  If he stays out of the public eye he's hiding.  If he sticks to his principles he's stubborn and arrogant. If he changes direction he's been ordered by Ann. 

I was never particularly comfortable or happy with the previous recruitment strategy.  I felt it was too risky so I'm glad he or they changed it.  I'm much happier with the direction we've taken this season. I felt he should have been more hands on with Cathro and maybe bulleted him earlier but I kind of admire his loyalty.  I would have liked to see him tear the arse out of Mikey Stewart and Craigan but he would have been on a hiding to nothing.  He admirably kept his own counsel when JW and his posse were spreading lies until the club shot them down in flames. Without even thinking about the massive rebuild of the infrastructure outwith the first team, I'm satisfied he's still in credit - for now.

I'd also be happy to see him back in the dug-out for stability and experience but he's said he doesn't want to do that and all it would do is give the frothers a better target to aim for.  What I really hope doesn't happen is we lose the second most important person at the club to satisfy a shower of arseholes who are a perfect example of the type of 'I want change now' society that led to Brexit and Trump without the slightest thought about the consequences. 

Another cracking post, perspective, I like it.

Thanks for the reply.

Off topic, but you made a broad statement at the end with Brexit, all those silly arseholes never thought it through!

I did, so did millions of others, done correctly it should be the best thing to happen to the UK in decades.

On topic, if he gets back in the dugout, at the very least he would have nowhere to hide and would have to come out fighting.

Punks No Deid

:spoton:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It's called short term pain for long term gain.

It sure is. I just wish the club would be a bit more frank/honest about it rather than pretending that the status quo is what was intended.

That's still all incidental to the fact that our scouting/recruitment is terrible and Levein's model has run its course.

Read my post - i wasn't calling you a dick just anyone using Billy ******* Davies as a stick to beat the club with.

If you were then so be it.

If you weren't suggesting I was a "dick" then why tag your comments on to my post???

The point the other poster and I were making was that in the opinion of many on here no experienced Manager will work under Levein due to his personality and position at the Club.

It sure is. I just wish the club would be a bit more frank/honest about it rather than pretending that the status quo is what was intended.

That's still all incidental to the fact that our scouting/recruitment is terrible and Levein's model has run its course.

To be fair to Budge, when she made the announcement that the new stand would not effect the football budget, she had every right to expect that we would finish 4th for a European place, and we would qualify out of a LC group containing lower league teams.

This.

If she had come out yesterday and said

'Look guys we're a bit strapped this season with the stand and what not and we need to focus on getting that project completed without it causing a hole in the finances that we cant cover. We've also had to take a decision on Ian Cathro that wasn't in the plans originally. With that in mind we're having to stop gap the football side for this season with temporary solutions and hope to keep it ticking over so we are in a decent position come next year when we'll have more disposable income/revenue kicking about'

I think the vast majority would be able to accept that.

Maroon Sailor

The point the other poster and I were making was that in the opinion of many on here no experienced Manager will work under Levein due to his personality and position at the Club.

Whether fans support Levein, the role he has or both, one thing is certain it limits the club's chances in appointing a decent experienced manager

To be fair to Budge, when she made the announcement that the new stand would not effect the football budget, she had every right to expect that we would finish 4th for a European place, and we would qualify out of a LC group containing lower league teams.

I'm gutted we missed out on millions from failing to get out the league cup group.

You'd have to be a ****ing idiot to expect the club to constantly produce evidence of the clubs financial position.

This.

If she had come out yesterday and said

'Look guys we're a bit strapped this season with the stand and what not and we need to focus on getting that project completed without it causing a hole in the finances that we cant cover. We've also had to take a decision on Ian Cathro that wasn't in the plans originally. With that in mind we're having to stop gap the football side for this season with temporary solutions and hope to keep it ticking over so we are in a decent position come next year when we'll have more disposable income/revenue kicking about'

I think the vast majority would be able to accept that.

:rofl:

Billybuffjaw

Daly till the end of the season - NAP

Nice to hear her comments on Scott and the new stand.

I disagree with you on Daly, I think either Hartley or Pressley will be announced next week.

I don't think they'll take another risk on a rookie manager.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:rofl:

I know why you're laughing and the thought of a statement like that is pretty comical but I'll tell you what's not funny - it's the truth.

Francis Albert

You might be right

But if it is it is.

We had no choice - a longer period of rebuilding the team will just need to be accepted.

We have no magic money tree and have already been gifted ?3m from wealth Hearts fan benefactors

We can only do what we can.

also 6m plus from mainly poorer fans. And we do have choices. If all the funding shortfall is to be met from club finds ie the salary budget then we are at best likely to stagnate on the pitch for some time. 500 club and debenture schemes have been dismissed because of the impact on future revenue but failure to be competitive will affect both current and future revenue

And while i'd be reluctant to delay fan ownership further using more foh funding is also an option

Depending on the scale of the shortfall a mixture of all three might be the right choice

It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Levein wants his latest play thing-Daly.

Budge wants the snake or Hartley.

BobbyJenkins

It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Levein wants his latest play thing-Daly.

Budge wants the snake or Hartley.

Then Pressley or Hartley would be appointed by now imo.

Jambof3tornado

Are we any further back than we were under cathro with Daly taking charge for a few games? Results would say probably not.

No idea whats going to happen. Daly long term at this stage goes back on what Ann was thinking. Maybe she's just discovered what the likes of freedman etc would cost wage wise so its think again time.

Lets just back the team on saturday and push for a posituve result going into the international break.

I'm gutted we missed out on millions from failing to get out the league cup group.

You'd have to be a ******* idiot to expect the club to constantly produce evidence of the clubs financial position.

You'd have to be a ******** idiot to think we lost out on millions for progressing in the LC!

However 4th place prize money, European prize money AND progressing in the LC was revenue we badly needed!

Archived