Ann Budge update

Texia

I don't doubt that the players want Daly. After Cathro just about anyone would seem amazing to work for though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was Daly it would be announced already, it ain't and I'm thinking its someone with a job and compensation is being thrashed out.

You can read it different ways but by saying there will be a permanent announcement next week I think it's going to be levein or Daly

You are right it can be read different ways. This is what is on her statement on the Hearts FC Website.

An announcement will be made regarding a permanent appointment next week.

That could be Jon Daly will be in charge until the end of the season and be reviewed later.

It could be as others have suggested that Levein will take charge assisted by Daly until the end of the season and reviewed later.

It may be that they appoint Pressley or Hartley.

It could be that they announce someone that nobody has mentioned.

It could be that they decide to do what they do on Have I got News for You and have a guest coach every week. (that's a joke incidentally before I get abuse)

I dying to know and can't wait for the next statement.

If it was Daly it would be announced already, it ain't and I'm thinking its someone with a job and compensation is being thrashed out.

I don't think they are anywhere near that yet , but It could be that's what will happen in the near future

Well reading Ann's update i think there are more questions than answers. In fact there was no answers really and as for Mr Gardiner well it was a thanks for your help and that was that.

Jon Daly might be a great manager one day but we need a great manager now and i only hope there are managers out there that haven't been mentioned that are in the frame. I'd like the new manager to hit the ground running and not have him hampered by interference from anyone.

Bazzas right boot

The Pressley stuff was encouraging. I actually think he fits the profile well and would make a real go of it. He'd have my support for sure

Yip, he should have everyone's support.

He wasn't my first choice based on the conjecture on here, but he  isn't the worst.

Silvery_Moon

Thanks for reading my viewpoint and understanding it!

Not for a second do I think Ann Budge is "rubbish", I think she has done a magnificent job off the field. I also don't think Craig Levein is "rubbish", I'm a kid of the 80's and he along with several obvious others was one of my idol's in those teams. I thought he was a magnificent player, I thought he did a good job managing us and despite the criticism he gets from some his wins over Hibs and away Euro results at places like Braga and Bordeaux were amongst Hearts best ever. I was even in Prague trying manfully to find some way to back him and his 6-4-0 for goodness sake! So no, no hatred towards these individuals at all.

However in my view they are not doing a good job at all and haven't been for a while with the football side of the club. Us the fans have stood up to be counted and deserve so much better than some experimental and naive project. Hearts are a big club in Scotland and yet we are handciapping ourselves just as we did in the Romanov era just in different ways. We need to make the best appointment for the club, that gives us the best chance of success, not some vanity project or delusional pyramid coaching setup that simply can't and won't work. We need to make a far far better job of scouting players an utilizing what remains a limited budget. I don't doubt for a second that the shambolic signing policy is impacting everything right now and that simply can't be allowed to be repeated. I can only pray that the whole scouting system is what she is alluding to in her statement today.

In short this upcoming decision is huge. 6 million pounds the fans have put into the club in just over 3 years in FoH subs alone, many more millions is ST sales etc. Its time that the club did what was in the best interests of the playing side of the club, the most important side of the club and put someone worthy of us and the position in place.

:greatpost:

Couldn't have summed it up better.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The issue here is that none of what is being stated is fact. It's made up 2+2=5 stuff.

As it stands today Daly is not the permanent head coach neither is Levien and no one knows who is actually a candidate and who is not or who has and hasn't been interviewed. Yet here we have a load of posters getting in a right state about it.

Daly has gone a fine job and there's no reason to think he won't get us another result this weekend so what's the panic.

No one knows what players are coming in and if any who has recommended them.

So here's the facts. We have an interim head coach who is holding the fort. We have got a new keeper on trial. We have interviewed new head coaches. We will get another announcement next week.

so maybe time to settle down a bit.

I told you I'm not feeling it.

Me calmly watching on or expressing concern here makes no difference.

Unless there's names unknown I have no confidence left in the board to make progressive football decisions

Geoff Kilpatrick

He wasn't my first choice based on the conjecture on here, but he isn't the worst.

If Pressley is appointed, of course he'll get support.

It's just he won't get as much support when it starts to turn shit under him, which it will based on his track record.

You are right it can be read different ways. This is what is on her statement on the Hearts FC Website.

An announcement will be made regarding a permanent appointment next week.

That could be Jon Daly will be in charge until the end of the season and be reviewed later.

It could be as others have suggested that Levein will take charge assisted by Daly until the end of the season and reviewed later.

It may be that they appoint Pressley or Hartley.

It could be that they announce someone that nobody has mentioned.

It could be that they decide to do what they do on Have I got News for You and have a guest coach every week. (that's a joke incidentally before I get abuse)

I dying to know and can't wait for the next statement.

If it's a fudge like Jon Daly till the end of the season that would destroy all of Ann Budge's credibility. You know i could never want the likes of Billy Davies at Hearts but he may be right about the way Levein's system works or doesn't work.

Francis Albert

Ann likes a legend. Said it last week. Was a time when most Hearts fans would be onboard with that policy. Nowadays the modern fan gets his knickers in a twist over a chest thump though. Sensitive souls...

there was a time when hearts fans expected managers to have a decent track record of success in the role. There were times we couldn't afford that luxury. But i an not clear why we can't now.

Thanks for reading my viewpoint and understanding it!

Not for a second do I think Ann Budge is "rubbish", I think she has done a magnificent job off the field. I also don't think Craig Levein is "rubbish", I'm a kid of the 80's and he along with several obvious others was one of my idol's in those teams. I thought he was a magnificent player, I thought he did a good job managing us and despite the criticism he gets from some his wins over Hibs and away Euro results at places like Braga and Bordeaux were amongst Hearts best ever. I was even in Prague trying manfully to find some way to back him and his 6-4-0 for goodness sake!  So no, no hatred towards these individuals at all. 

However in my view they are not doing a good job at all and haven't been for a while with the football side of the club. Us the fans have stood up to be counted and deserve so much better than some experimental and naive project. Hearts are a big club in Scotland and yet we are handciapping ourselves just as we did in the Romanov era just in different ways. We need to make the best appointment for the club, that gives us the best chance of success, not some vanity project or delusional pyramid coaching setup that simply can't and won't work. We need to make a far far better job of scouting players an utilizing what remains a limited budget. I don't doubt for a second that the shambolic signing policy is impacting everything right now and that simply can't be allowed to be repeated. I can only pray that the whole scouting system is what she is alluding to in her statement today. 

In short this upcoming decision is huge. 6 million pounds the fans have put into the club in just over 3 years in FoH subs alone, many more millions is ST sales etc. Its time that the club did what was in the best interests of the playing side of the club, the most important side of the club and put someone worthy of us and the position in place. 

Put yourself in Budge's shoes. What is honestly more important in the short term - The team or the new stand? We've had cup winning teams but they didn't make us any money - they just raised expectations for the next season. 

Budge wants Hearts to be able to survive without a sugar daddy (or mummy). She wants US ALL to be the benefactors. However, FOH doesn't raise enough to fund both a great team and a stand at the same time. It just doesn't. She has to prioritise. That is where having a DOF who favours young ambitious, CHEAP, coaches comes in. That is where having a DOF who plugs gaps with varying degrees of success in the bargain basement of free transfers comes in. That is where having a DOF who gets the Academy back on line after a few years of neglect and mismanagement and cost-stripping comes in.

?6m is a lot to you an me, but it is not a lot to a business where you have guys who want to be paid ?100k, ?300k, ?500k even if they are p!sh... 

He wasn't my first choice based on the conjecture on here, but he isn't the worst.

He'd be better than Daly if that's what the choice is

I just don't believe that's it's down to one of those two.

Maybe denial...

Put yourself in Budge's shoes. What is honestly more important in the short term - The team or the new stand? We've had cup winning teams but they didn't make us any money - they just raised expectations for the next season.

Budge wants Hearts to be able to survive without a sugar daddy (or mummy). She wants US ALL to be the benefactors. However, FOH doesn't raise enough to fund both a great team and a stand at the same time. It just doesn't. She has to prioritise. That is where having a DOF who favours young ambitious, CHEAP, coaches comes in. That is where having a DOF who plugs gaps with varying degrees of success in the bargain basement of free transfers comes in. That is where having a DOF who gets the Academy back on line after a few years of neglect and mismanagement and cost-stripping comes in.

?6m is a lot to you an me, but it is not a lot to a business where you have guys who want to be paid ?100k, ?300k, ?500k even if they are p!sh...

You'll be pissed off but I agree word for word.

Could the preferred candidate already be in a job and has to negotiate himself out? :whistling:

Well assuming it is with another football club then we would have had to have asked said club for permission to speak to whoever we want and this usually gets out to the media.

If we didn't then we will be tapping another Coach.

Well assuming it is with another football club then we would have had to have asked said club for permission to speak to whoever we want and this usually gets out to the media.

If we didn't then we will be tapping another Coach.

Agent to agent first to assess interest

It need not have been an either or situation though man!!  And it need not be one going forward. Hearts are not utilizing what we have available to us to the best of our abilities. There can be no debate over that. 

We have signed plenty players on decent money and way too many of them have failed. We have recruited badly on too many occasions to the detriment of the team. We have had to pay off numerous players and most recently a Head Coach. We made a terrible error with the Cathro appointment. We have lost matches we should never have been losing that have further undermined finances and caused ongoing division. Too many bad decisions have been made on the footballing front and now we are at a crossroads with the current setup. They have to get this decision right and appointing a young inexperienced coach would be suicidal. There is no reason we can't have a more competitive and successful season whilst things are continuing to be put in place off the field. 

None of that takes away from the off field achievements and particularly the development of the new stand. Something that will be around fro generations to come and a fantastic testimony to what Budge has done with the aid of our loyal support. None of that dismisses your very valid points re Budge not wanting to be short sighted. I agree with those sentiments entirely I just know we could and should be doing a lot better on the park than we are.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If Pressley is appointed, of course he'll get support.

It's just he won't get as much support when it starts to turn shit under him, which it will based on his track record.

Nail on the head and why his appointment would be tarnished. Accident waiting. I want to enjoy the new Tynecastle. I fear his involvement will not do us any good

Personally I think it's a fantastic statement from Ann. The Cathro appointment was catastrophic so she is taking her time to get the right person for Hearts.

**** Billy Davies and **** those folk using his zoomer comments to have a go at the club.

Captain America

Those saying Daly until the end of the season. We are not even out of August, not the last few months of the season.

Either give him the job full time or not.

Another temporary measure is pointless.

You'll be pissed off but I agree word for word.

GodDammit! Right that's it, I'm off to Sicily for a fortnight. Your fault!

Who's first to pick holes in it!!?

You're too late, the moaning Minnies beat you to it.

You're too late, the moaning Minnies beat you to it.

They've hovering waiting to pounce on any perceived nuance they think shows a weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff Kilpatrick

They've hovering waiting to pounce on any perceived nuance they think shows a weakness.

Sorry man. I forgot you wanted a thread of 300 people saying "Great statement!".

Read the statement in the OP......and that's it.

I've learned that when you see seven pages following a club statement, large parts of it will be drivel.

Thanks again for the regular updates, Ann.

Wouldn't it be funny if the new manager is someone no one's spoken about. And if the delay is down to having to negotiate a release from current employment. Or more likely just wishful thinking on my part given the reported candidates who are left.

Seymour M Hersh

Yes.

Just thought I'd post it given it is information on our potential next manager, whether it be accurate or not I suppose time will tell.

I understand it might be nonsense, I don't need you to tell me that.

I'd guess that, like us, the press have no clue what is actually going on and they hate being in that situation so they keep chasing their tails around the same names even although the same press admitted there were applications from individuals who they could not identify. 

GodDammit! Right that's it, I'm off to Sicily for a fortnight. Your fault!

Might I say - Sicily is an excellent choice. ****ing love it there - true proper gritty (and pretty in Taormina) Italy.

Gotta love any place like Palermo where you have a shot of espresso mixed with a little Sambucca on the way to work in the morning.

:)

Does Macphee get a free pass for the on-field shambles of the past 9 months? He was only Assistant Head Coach after all!

Yes because he's acting under instructions of the head coach

And he was responsible for getting most of our decent new signings in.

Free pass from me.

Will be very sad after the alleged deluge of applications from across Europe , that we are left with Daly as the best option. Guy that's been a manager for less than a month.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Will be very sad after the alleged deluge of applications from across Europe , that we are left with Daly as the best option. Guy that's been a manager for less than a month.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

The 'big names' we know off seem not to want the job for a multitude of reasons. I'll wait to see what actually happens before joining a particular seethefest.

Wouldn't it be funny if the new manager is someone no one's spoken about. And if the delay is down to having to negotiate a release from current employment. Or more likely just wishful thinking on my part given the reported candidates who are left.

I'd guess that, like us, the press have no clue what is actually going on and they hate being in that situation so they keep chasing their tails around the same names even although the same press admitted there were applications from individuals who they could not identify. 

And like Haken above, we might be pleasantly surprised when the announcement is made......fingers crossed.

The 'big names' we know off seem not to want the job for a multitude of reasons. I'll wait to see what actually happens before joining a particular seethefest.

So if we appoint Jon Daly or Steven Pressley. Would you be happy?

Captain Canada

The statement is all well and good - better than being kept in the dark for sure.

However, why are we in this mess at the start of the season again? Last season was a different shambles when our early exit from Europe left us with no friendlies to play and we couldn't manage to sign an experienced keeper.

This season we have no home games until November, no permanent manager and a real lack of urgency to address an obvious weakness in the squad which is the midfield.

There are no guarantees in football but you can minimise risk by hiring people with a good track record. We don't seem to be learning any lessons and have started the second season in a row firmly on the back foot.

So if we appoint Jon Daly or Steven Pressley. Would you be happy?

I think Daly is too inexperienced and Pressley is liable to be too divisive. I would give either of them a chance though I'm hoping there might yet be a dark horse somewhere.

Bazzas right boot

Mate i was slagging hughes.Lets leave it there no want to fall out with any jambo.

My shpelin is shite, I deserve abuse for it.

Tbh I think I'm dyslexic.

Thank feck for spell check.

Bazzas right boot

And like Haken above, we might be pleasantly surprised when the announcement is made......fingers crossed.

Hopefully.

I think Daly is too inexperienced and Pressley is liable to be too divisive. I would give either of them a chance though I'm hoping there might yet be a dark horse somewhere.

Roll the dice and you never know man ;)

I think it'll be Craig Levein until the end of the season. I'm guessing whilst we've had a load of CV's there hasn't been an outstanding candidate that was willing to work with the structure and constraints of the club.

Not "willing to work with the structure and constraints of the Club".............

And THAT is the problem. This D of F structure needs binned now!!

Not "willing to work with the structure and constraints of the Club".............

And THAT is the problem. This D of F structure needs binned now!!

Lol

Davies is 20 times more toxic than Levein. Anyone in football will tell you this.

Any Hearts fan that uses the words of a proven arsehole and trouble maker like Davies to use against our club is a bit of a dick if you ask me.

What do Hearts fans want ?

To go to games and enjoy watching a Hearts team that plays well and wins more games than it loses. We've suffered too much these past 7 months time for our loyal support to be cheered up with some good football. Ann has got to realise that if you employ the right manager you will entertain the fans, win games and make money.

With wages under control and no more signing duds on 3 year contracts we'd be on the up and the fans will start enjoying following Hearts again.

Francis Albert

Lol

Davies is 20 times more toxic than Levein. Anyone in football will tell you this.

Any Hearts fan that uses the words of a proven arsehole and trouble maker like Davies to use against our club is a bit of a dick if you ask me.

absolutely.

Lol

Spot on.

Lol

Who was referring to Davies???

Don't be a "dick" and read the post I was responding to!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Lol

I agree but I'm telling you now, the chickens will come home to roost with the current set-up.

Finance is at the root of all this. As a club we've been acting weird for a while and I think money is putting a huge strain on judgement and ambition. In short, this main stand must be bleeding us dry. I'd like the club to prove me wrong.

I agree but I'm telling you now, the chickens will come home to roost with the current set-up.

Finance is at the root of all this. As a club we've been acting weird for a while and I think money is putting a huge strain on judgement and ambition. In short, this main stand must be bleeding us dry. I'd like the club to prove me wrong.

It's called short term pain for long term gain.

Bowmans_Boot

It's called short term pain for long term gain.

So why not come out and tell the fans that? Dont we deserve it after the backing we have given?

Or do we deserve to believe that we may get a high profile HC, when the reality was somewhat different?

Archived