Steve McClaren

Hendricks

If any manager is successful at Hearts a they will bolt to a bigger club

What do we want - mediocrity so they stay for years?

Never mind

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear

I agree

Equally that's just one player.

He might not have spoken to Djoum because he hasn't tried a leg for 9 months

True as well.

Just a very poor piece of recruitment by someone who should really know better

Biffa Bacon

Alex Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren.

And he was on a shoogly peg at Man U. After signing in 1986 it wasn't until the cup run in 1990 that things settles down for him. There was a story that Wallace Mercer had an agreement to take him to Hearts, should he have got sacked.

If any manager is successful at Hearts a they will bolt to a bigger club

What do we want - mediocrity so they stay for years?

Fair point, Jammy. I was just suggesting he might stay for a season or less if a "suitable" club want him. Whoever our next manager is, if he is reasonably successful and we are moving forward, I would prefer he was one who would "see the job done". ie stay 2 0r 3 years and get us to / win a cup final or two.

bringonthesevco

Correct. But we'll still have some of our support wanting the likes of Hartley and Freedman....

can't believe you're lumping Hartley and Freedman together, I'm a massive fan of SPH but Freedman would be a great appointment, he has signed multiple young players for small fees, developed them and sold them for a fortune ...

He'd be a great shout for us, But I'd take McClaren before him as would any sane person ...

colinmaroon

Alex Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren.

Allegedly over expenses not footballing issues.

Cathro left without speaking to the players?

If true what a dick.

They hadn't a clue what he was talking about anyway.

The Stanley Unwin of football management.

...a bit disco

No official contact. So informal discussions may have been held then?!

Interesting though.

Unknown user

It's hard to argue with a guy who won the eredivisie ahead of Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV with a club who'd never won it before and hasn't been close since.

That guy's going to have some contact book too!

Tommy Brown

can't believe you're lumping Hartley and Freedman together, I'm a massive fan of SPH but Freedman would be a great appointment, he has signed multiple young players for small fees, developed them and sold them for a fortune ...

He'd be a great shout for us, But I'd take McClaren before him as would any sane person ...

Not followed Freedman's career, can you expand your multiple youth players comment, please.

Gene Parmesan

Not followed Freedman's career, can you expand your multiple youth players comment, please.

Credited with bringing on folk like Zaha, Nathaniel Clyne and Oli Burke, who all got sold for millions.

Not for being unsuccessful, though. Lead them to the Division 1 title in 1977. Iirc, his departure had something to do with falling out with the board/owner.

Indeed. Gross Misconduct from memory. He took it to an employment tribunal and lost. Ironically, one of the issues was his insistence to provide tax-free perks to players.

Steve McClaren hasn't had any official contact from Hearts but understand he's keen to get back in the game, whether coaching or managing.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1385938/hearts-steve-mcclaren-ian-cathro-tynecastle/

Just saw this link!

Escobar PHM

No official contact. So informal discussions may have been held then?!

What does that word 'official' actually mean though ? Either we've been in contact or we haven't been.

bringonthesevco

Credited with bringing on folk like Zaha, Nathaniel Clyne and Oli Burke, who all got sold for millions.

And Bolassie signed for ?300k, ended up at Everton for ?28m 

Didn't ferguson leave st. Mirren over an expenses scandal or something. Wasn't football related I believe.

I think mclaren would be an excellent appointment. I just can't see it though.

Though would be ideal. Appointment him, he wins the league in his first season. ****s off to England and we get O'Neil as reaplacement.

Unknown user

What does that word 'official' actually mean though ? Either we've been in contact or we haven't been.

Could mean a lot of things, for example maybe Hearts have asked an agent to speak to his agent to see if he'd actually be interested

Escobar PHM

Could mean a lot of things, for example maybe Hearts have asked an agent to speak to his agent to see if he'd actually be interested

So McClaren has answered the question 'Have Hearts been in contact' with the answer 'Not officially' ?

They hadn't a clue what he was talking about anyway.

The Stanley Unwin of football management.

Brilliant.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Talking with someone out a job doesn't have to be official, maybe just at the texting stage just now anyway, with a couple of smileys

Cruyff Turn

Talking with someone out a job doesn't have to be official, maybe just at the texting stage just now anyway

Before a Flix and chill with Ann.

Unknown user

So McClaren has answered the question 'Have Hearts been in contact' with the answer 'Not officially' ?

This is based on a third party tweet, I've no idea what was asked or answered, or by whom. Just giving an example of what "not officially" could mean

Steve McClaren would be an excellent appointment. I would take him or Dougie Freedman, tomorrow. There would be absolutely no need for a doF with either appointment so hopefully a Levein leave is on the horizon. Anne Budge surely wouldn't turn down such a big manager interested in our club (in it's current state especially).

Have the fear that it's going to be Ravanelli though.

Ryan Jarman

The 'Edinburgh accent' joke on social media is almost as overused as Cathro's laptop already. 

Steve McClaren would be an excellent appointment. I would take him or Dougie Freedman, tomorrow. There would be absolutely no need for a doF with either appointment so hopefully a Levein leave is on the horizon. Anne Budge surely wouldn't turn down such a big manager interested in our club (in it's current state especially).

Have the fear that it's going to be Ravanelli though.

Other than the fact he's applied, that feels like a bit of an irrational fear. I'd be surprised if we even had talks with him.

JamboCampbell

Levein to talk with McClaren so not sure what that means for what Levein would actually do then?

According to talksport and the 'sun'

I doubt the Sun would know anything if Levein has a direct line to Schteve.

Tbf to the sun they are usually spot on about us.

Kenny Millar has a good scope.

Not for me. I don't think he's suited to a club like ourselves. We've got poorer players than he's ever worked with.

His successes as manager came off the back of having a great spine in his teams. Massively experienced Goalkeeper and defence, usually with two very good Defensive midfield players in front of them.

Probably suited to an Italian club where they have mountains of good Defensive players to pick from.

Of course, it would be rude not to interview him if he has applied given his C.V. so I hope that this is merely just us going through the motions.

Dougie Freedman is a much more sensible & suitable candidate for us.

"Derby's first match following McClaren's appointment was at home to Ipswich Town, though academy manager Darren Wassall took charge of the team. With Derby trailing 4?1 at half time, McClaren entered the home dressing room to give a "rousing" speech to inspire a Derby fight back for a 4?4 draw." 

Get him signed. 

He had plenty of expensive, high-profile players at Boro - the likes of Viduka, Juninho, Hasselbaink, Yakubu, Zenden, Mendietta, Ehiogu and Southgate.

I'll always be grateful to him for winning our first (only) trophy, but an occasional League Cup should be the minimum requirement with players of that calibre.

The League form was patchy, and we flirted with relegation in the season we got to the UEFA final.

The 2 UEFA runs were great, and we took some great scalps and had some incredible away trips. But we were lucky in both the QF and SF because we looked dead and buried in both games until Massimo Maccarone put in a couple of twice-in-a-lifetime supersub performances.

Don't get me wrong, he would be an amazing appointment for Hearts. But there are reasons that many Boro fans didn't take to him, despite unprecedented success.

Right enough, it's been an unprecedented success since he left right enough :lol: 

He was sacked but for breach of contract as he already agreed to go to Aberdeen and sounded his staff to go there.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/may/31/manchesterunited.stmirren

I can also vaguely recall he told the wife of the chairman (St Mirren) to FO and mind yer own business when she apparently got involved in a heated discussion between Fergie and the said chairman

Folk not wanting Steve McClaren as manager must be absolutely delusional about the respective size of Heart of Midlothian. We're talking about a guy successful enough to be appointed as the England manager. Mind boggling stuff again!

We've been rubbish, but then we're The Boro, so that's what we always go back to being.

All I'm pointing out is that, despite SMC bringing unprecedented success to the club, he was given plenty of cash to do it with and his flaws were still apparent.

Just as an aside, last season you had Victor Valdes but released him.  Is he still up to the job or has age caught up?

Maroon Sailor

He would do a job up here, anyone who doesn't think he would is deluded :lol:

To me that says more about the standard of Scottish football than the managerial pedigree of McClaren

No decent sized English club would consider him after his dismal record at Newcastle and Derby

He's a waffling fecker as well - Every interview he gave when his teams suffered another defeat was along the lines of " we regroup and we go again "

Other phrases he uses are " we need strong characters in the dressing room " and after his teams lose late leads " we've got to be smarter than that "

Brighton Jambo

Then I am officially insane (relieved to have it confirmed actually!).  I really don't want McLaren, I am English and he was a disaster for us, I know a number of Derby fans and they tell me he is great for a short term bounce but then he cannot sustain it.  That's not what we need.  He did well in Holland I admit but even that faded quickly and he frankly embarrassed himself with some of the interviews and things.  Middlesbrough he did okay but spent a fortune.  I would rather have Freedman all day long  

Folk not wanting Steve McClaren as manager must be absolutely delusional about the respective size of Heart of Midlothian. We're talking about a guy successful enough to be appointed as the England manager. Mind boggling stuff again!

Spot on.  Rangers have unknown Portugese dude, Aberdeen and Hibs have managers who failed down south and people on here would turn down the former England Manager with massive, massive experience. 

To me that says more about the standard of Scottish football than the managerial pedigree of McClaren

No decent sized English club would consider him after his dismal record at Newcastle and Derby

He's a waffling fecker as well - Every interview he gave when his teams suffered another defeat was along the lines of " we regroup and we go again "

Other phrases he uses are " we need strong characters in the dressing room " and after his teams lose late leads " we've got to be smarter than that "

Not sure there is anything wrong with they comments......

Archived