Steve McClaren

Hendricks

If the OP source is good, this is incredible news. It's possible that he would just like the challenge but I'd be surprised if he would do it for less than around 10k a week plus bonuses.

I don't know that of course. Anyway this will give them a good laugh in Lochend and that's good because they haven't had that much to laugh about for 60 years. Plenty to laugh at though.

The source is a good one. But please realise all I was told was he was interested, that is all. Everything else is conjecture and of course the first thing that came out my mouth (as many others have said) is how the hell could we afford him. Thinking about it more I've reasoned that money may not be the main motivation if he is interested, God knows through the last few years he has made enough of it! He also has taken less high profile jobs before like at Twente and had great success. 

And perhaps he wants out of the English scene, I mean at the end of the day he's unlikely to get an EPL job these days and has had several in the Championship already. I don't see him at this stage taking on a project like Robbie Neilson and going to a lower league club so Hearts are attractive. The demands of English football in the Championship are huge, 46 league matches plus the cups, huge amounts of travel week in week out and of course the pot of gold awaiting promotion. Lots of pressure. Maybe he would like a great job like Hearts in a fantastic city just a couple of hours drive form his home. I don't know, its all just conjecture on my part but I'm confident he has at least tendered some sort of interest to find out more. 

Oh and by the way this "he doesn't know the league", ffs he has managed in the EPL and undertaken the monumental role of English national manager, I hardly think he would be worried about facing ******* Ross County and Kilmarnock.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the OP source is good, this is incredible news. It's possible that he would just like the challenge but I'd be surprised if he would do it for less than around 10k a week plus bonuses.

I don't know that of course. Anyway this will give them a good laugh in Lochend and that's good because they haven't had that much to laugh about for 60 years. Plenty to laugh at though.

Give him ?3k a week and ?500k bonus of he wins the league...!

scott herbertson

Been a bucket load of moronic idiotic experienced managers/head coaches that are prepared to work under Craig Levein.

I want the coach/manager that hasnt applied and won't go near us with a barge pole as long as Levein is still in charge of EVERYTHING.

Doesn't exist, as Levein isn't in charge of EVERYTHING

scott herbertson

Been a bucket load of moronic idiotic experienced managers/head coaches that are prepared to work under Craig Levein.

I want the coach/manager that hasnt applied and won't go near us with a barge pole as long as Levein is still in charge of EVERYTHING.

Doesn't exist, as Levein isn't in charge of EVERYTHING

tompurdieggg

Had a quick skim of a number of other threads and didn't see his name mentioned. Have heard on good authority from someone who has long been a reliable source of info that he has applied and is very interested in being our Head Coach. he is currently unemployed and lives in the north of England so there is no compensation and he is located very well. Clearly he has earned huge amounts of money in his career and whilst he wouldn't work for hee haw he is well aware that we can't offer the kind of money he would command down south.

Of course he has had some serious ups and downs throughout his managerial career but I mean c'mon his experience and knowledge of the game is top drawer and his contact list for players will be phenomenal.

Anyway, just throwing it out there. I have no idea whether Hearts would be seriously considering him as a possibility and compensation may still be a huge stumbling block as might be his want to bring in his own staff. What I will say is it just goes to show the level of people attracted to our club, to Edinburgh, to our stadium and the fantastic facilities at Riccarton and of course to our fanbase. Makes a mockery of our decision to blood young and inexperienced coaches.

A chap said this to me earlier too. Was surprised. No smoke without fire I guess. I've heard Michael O Neil has been at Tynecastle past 2 days. States he wants to see NI to World Cup finals if qualified and he approaches Levein on signings not the other way around. Also Levein looks after development not 1st team. Interesting isn't it. I think anyone worth their salt will want DOF in background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Has an incredible CV. Is hero worshipped in holland for winning title with an unfashionable team. Of course we'd take him.

Voice of reason

[quote name="Hendricks" post="6173386" timestamp="1501884804"

Oh and by the way this "he doesn't know the league", ffs he has managed in the EPL and undertaken the monumental role of English national manager, I hardly think he would be worried about facing ******* Ross County and Kilmarnock.[/quote

A bit naive and star struck to think because he managed England once he'll skoosh any lower standard league. I hate to tell you but it doesn't work that way - just ask any Derby fans how great he was in the Championship. Also, knowing a league is clearly advantageous - a bit daft not to admit that. Nobody said he'd be worried to face Ross County - I am sure Ian Cathro wasn't worried either after coaching at Valencia and Newcastle. A McLaren team could still lose to them though - a manager's name/reputation doesn't win matches alone. Let's face it, he's not proved himself to be a good manager for many, many years. Given that his salary would no doubt eat into our playing budget, I think he'd be a huge risk. He's not unemployed for no reason.

[quote name="Hendricks" post="6173386" timestamp="1501884804"

Oh and by the way this "he doesn't know the league", ffs he has managed in the EPL and undertaken the monumental role of English national manager, I hardly think he would be worried about facing ******* Ross County and Kilmarnock.[/quote

A bit naive and star struck to think because he managed England once he'll skoosh any lower standard league. I hate to tell you but it doesn't work that way - just ask any Derby fans how great he was in the Championship. Also, knowing a league is clearly advantageous - a bit daft not to admit that. Nobody said he'd be worried to face Ross County - I am sure Ian Cathro wasn't worried either after coaching at Valencia and Newcastle. A McLaren team could still lose to them though - a manager's name/reputation doesn't win matches alone. Let's face it, he's not proved himself to be a good manager for many, many years. Given that his salary would no doubt eat into our playing budget, I think he'd be a huge risk. He's not unemployed for no reason.

Lol. Ok.

I never said he would "skoosh" anything and I never said he wouldn't lose games. I was simply laughing at the comments about him requiring to know the SPL. That's funny stuff.

By your logic any appointment is risky, I would think Steve McClaren a hell of a lot less riskier than most in relation to Hearts!

ford donald

Has an incredible CV. Is hero worshipped in holland for winning title with an unfashionable team. Of course we'd take him.

More flaws than i would like..

TyphoonJambo

"An education based in Lochend" surely that's an oximoron?

Had a quick skim of a number of other threads and didn't see his name mentioned. Have heard on good authority from someone who has long been a reliable source of info that he has applied and is very interested in being our Head Coach. he is currently unemployed and lives in the north of England so there is no compensation and he is located very well. Clearly he has earned huge amounts of money in his career and whilst he wouldn't work for hee haw he is well aware that we can't offer the kind of money he would command down south.

Of course he has had some serious ups and downs throughout his managerial career but I mean c'mon his experience and knowledge of the game is top drawer and his contact list for players will be phenomenal.

Anyway, just throwing it out there. I have no idea whether Hearts would be seriously considering him as a possibility and compensation may still be a huge stumbling block as might be his want to bring in his own staff. What I will say is it just goes to show the level of people attracted to our club, to Edinburgh, to our stadium and the fantastic facilities at Riccarton and of course to our fanbase. Makes a mockery of our decision to blood young and inexperienced coaches.

Please give previous examples of this source's knowledge.

Probably has a good network for getting players in compared to the other candidates.

Bazzas right boot

Seems to be either a miracle worker or horse.

High profile for sure.

I'm still in the O'Neil, Kenny, Archibald Camp as these guys are on the rise.

McLaren wouldn't dissapiont tho, would be an exciting appointment and may be able to persuade some English players up here either that are at Thier career end or some high profile loans.

Course you'd take him at Hearts.

Teams all over the world would take him.

Let's not kid ourselves otherwise.

This

We're not going to be blooding a young coach this time..

I choose Paulo.. Sadly I don't think it'll happen

Sergios record first time round Is appalling don't let the cup win rose tint it

Ricardo Shillyshally

O'Neill thread has died now, good to have another completely far fetched thread to keep the forum going.

It's nice to dream, denies the reality that we will probably end up with the kitman from Cowdenbeath or someone equally uninspiring

kingantti1874

Sergios record first time round Is appalling don't let the cup win rose tint it

After a slow start we dragged ourselves up to 5th and won the cup.. Also some great performances in big games.. Not only that his absolute to deal with the press and other managers is the best I've ever seen.. Man had charisma.. All achieved while the club was a disaster off the pitch..id like to see what he could do now.. Would fix the Tynecastle atmosphere that's for sure..

One thing I'll say is he had rudi.. One of the best we've ever had.. Huge advantage

Funnily enough, he came to mind when I was watching the Derby match last night. He was brilliant with them the first time but terrible once he got his head turned by Newcastle. He's been poor since. Still, he'd be a great appointment if he's still got the same desire that he had a Twente and Derby the first time round.

After a slow start we dragged ourselves up to 5th and won the cup.. Also some great performances in big games.. Not only that his absolute to deal with the press and other managers is the best I've ever seen.. Man had charisma.. All achieved while the club was a disaster off the pitch..id like to see what he could do now.. Would fix the Tynecastle atmosphere that's for sure..

One thing I'll say is he had rudi.. One of the best we've ever had.. Huge advantage

Rudi was far more of an influence on that season than Sergio. It doesn't matter how much of a mess your club is in when that man gets the ball on his left peg 30yds from goal...

Paulo Sergio thought Rudi was a lazy so and so, a complete luxury and didn't play him regularly until well into his tenure. Check the record books, he even left Rudi out of the first St Mirren cup game after he'd scored something like 6 goals in his previous 3 games against them. One obvious game apart, Paulo didn't impress me and his record elsewhere is also bang average. Probably lucky Hibs were more of a mess on the park than they've ever been and we pissed all over them easily every time.

On topic, I had voted for Elvis on another thread but I'd take McClaren over him every day of the week/year/decade/century....

Brighton Jambo

No way, he would be a disaster of an appointment. Apart from holland every job he does he gets a short term bounce of 6/9 months then it all falls apart. I would rather have cathro back

No way, he would be a disaster of an appointment. Apart from holland every job he does he gets a short term bounce of 6/9 months then it all falls apart. I would rather have cathro back

:cornette:

The Future's Maroon

:rofl:

Incredible eh. :laugh:

Unreal, if he's applied and we somehow managed to agree terms, he would be our greatest appointment ever, probably?

Doesn't guarantee anything in terms of success, but **** me you would be out of your mind not to want him!

Unreal, if he's applied and we somehow managed to agree terms, he would be our greatest appointment ever, probably?

Doesn't guarantee anything in terms of success, but **** me you would be out of your mind not to want him!

This is the truth..??????

gashauskis9

Absolutely no chance o Steve McLaren :gok:

Why not? If he's applied for the job then that's half the battle!

mellors1874

Not for me I'm afraid

He would jump first change of a gig in England and leave us looking for another manager

He maybe high profile but it doesn't mean he's not crap

I seriously have to ask, who do we think we are sometimes. Actually incredible that hearts fans are turning their noses up at Steve mclaren. Outrageous.

colinmaroon

Can you imagine him talking slowly in broad Scots???

No brainer but it's alright putting in the CV it's over could afford him.I can't see it myself he will prob want minimum ?500k and could probably get a million elsewhere so I think financially it's a no.

Captain America

Those 9 months lasted a long time on Teesside. 

Exactly, all misty eyed sentimental pish if the likes of McClaren have thrown their hat into the ring.

I seem to remember Sergios early time was not a huge success. Do not expect him to get a chance to carry through if that happened again. Loved the man and he knew how to show his feelings for us. But like Hartley would not wish him to sully his memories by coming back.

McLaren would be great for knowing players in England and Holland who could do a job. Pay him as Consultant/ Scout.

Would be an interesting appointment which would certainly elevate the clubs profile

wattie exploited

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   !!!!!!!!!!

total shit manager a complete idiot of a manager !!!!!!!!!!

Busby nets the rebound

Would take him in a heart beat but think its fantasy..

This still makes me laugh almost as much as Joey Barton's French accent.. twat...

Oh God no, they way he sets his teams out to play is so to avoid not getting beat rather than trying to win games, far too negative or defensive minded and the fans will be bored to death watching any of his teams.

Maroon Sailor

Sounds like he is scrounging around for a club. Hopeless at Newcastle and fecked Derby up

I remember when Avram Grant was linked to us, some were saying he is not good enough.

McLaren's record is a mixed bag, seems to be great or crap, with little in the middle, but if he is interested, I doubt we would find a more experienced, high profile or knowledgeable alternative,

Archived