Hendricks

Bazzas right boot

I'd rather win 4-3 than lose 1-0

....aye, everyone would.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot

If he has put himself forward of course we should speak to him 100% .

Even if it's just to hear his ideas .

And accent.

Unknown user

Every single appointment and signing this club makes is a gamble. That's the market we operate in. Our recruitment comes with no guarantees at any level.

McLaren has a pretty decent CV and ticks the experience box several times over. He ticks the contacts box and he ticks the 'high level' box He doesn't really tick the success box (apart from a Leicester type freak title win in Holland) though and he doesn't tick the 'knows Scottish football' box. In fact I've seen him cut a pretty sad figure on occasion and question whether he's a 'winner' or has the baws to manage up here.

That doesn't mean I don't want him. I certainly do but he only looks good on his cv at this stage. He could easily be shite in real life.

Its about minimising the risk and he's certainly less of a risk than someone like Hartley. But he isn't risk free. Not by a long way.

It wasn't a Leicester style freak win, his first season was very good, finishing second, his second was better, finishing first - he was no one season wonder, he really did a very good job in his first stint there.

It wasn't a Leicester style freak win, his first season was very good, finishing second, his second was better, finishing first - he was no one season wonder, he really did a very good job in his first stint there.

If the stats in the link I posted are correct he was that bad in his second spell at Twente either winning 50% of his games

Lucille's Thirsty

And he was an absolute disaster when he got the England job despite having the likes of lampard, gerrard, Rooney etc.

Then he's only had one successful job after that (2 if you include derby but he still got sacked)

Fabio Capello failed as England manager mate.

Would you turn him down ID?

Didn't McLaren win the Dutch League with FC Twente and got Middlesbrough to a UEFA Cup Final.

Unknown user

Could do, and have done, an awful lot worse than Steve McLaren.

In truth, have we ever had a manager with a better set of achievements?

Yes but a good manager has high success rates throughout a career. he's a bit of a busted flush in recent times. Fair enough he's had success years ago but not convinced.

So like I asked previously and never got a reply.

Who would you like then?

Apologies, I didn't see your reply

Escobar PHM

Arguable I suppose. He's got good periods and bad periods all over his cv.

My general point about him not being a stick on success still stands though.

Fabio Capello failed as England manager mate.

Would you turn him down ID?

Didn't McLaren win the Dutch League with FC Twente and got Middlesbrough to a UEFA Cup Final.

Did well at Twente and boro, no doubt about it. But he's had 9 management jobs and theyre the only two where he hasn't been sacked or had to resign.

Every single appointment and signing this club makes is a gamble. That's the market we operate in. Our recruitment comes with no guarantees at any level.

McLaren has a pretty decent CV and ticks the experience box several times over. He ticks the contacts box and he ticks the 'high level' box He doesn't really tick the success box (apart from a Leicester type freak title win in Holland) though and he doesn't tick the 'knows Scottish football' box. In fact I've seen him cut a pretty sad figure on occasion and question whether he's a 'winner' or has the baws to manage up here.

That doesn't mean I don't want him. I certainly do but he only looks good on his cv at this stage. He could easily be shite in real life.

Its about minimising the risk and he's certainly less of a risk than someone like Hartley. But he isn't risk free. Not by a long way.

I'd be happier with Freedman to be honest, even though on paper its a no brainer between the two.

No managerial appointment is risk free, the risk is entirely determined by the expectation of the board and the fans. If for example, Hearts finish third, most people would accept that as a form of progress, unexceptional, but progress none the less. If we manage to only just secure our SPL status, that would be a failure. What ultimately mitigates the risk associated with the appointment is the fans and boards expectations being lowered. Thats not going to happen, because objectivity and fanaticism rarely go hand in hand.

Unknown user

Arguable I suppose. He's got good periods and bad periods all over his cv.

My general point about him not being a stick on success still stands though.

That manager doesn't exist at the level of wages will be paying unfortunately.

I honestly can't think of anyone with a more impressive set of achievements that's a possible candidate, and as above, I can't think of a hearts manager who's had anything close to that CV.

O'Neill for me. Macphee staying put so that makes that issue easier, knows the Edinburgh derby and the meaning of it. Also has managerial experience in Scotland.

I would go for O'Neill without hesitation also but his comments the other day pretty much ruled him out.

So after that nobody comes close to Stevie boy.

I must add though I don't expect him to get the job.

People saying no to McClaren? :facepalm:

He's a really arrogant sod who would take the Old Firm on quite happily. In amongst the bad spell in his career he's had some very good ones too.

Exactly mate but...lets get is Csaba though eh!!!

Son Of Anarchy

can't believe you're lumping Hartley and Freedman together, I'm a massive fan of SPH but Freedman would be a great appointment, he has signed multiple young players for small fees, developed them and sold them for a fortune ...

He'd be a great shout for us, But I'd take McClaren before him as would any sane person ...

Absolutely spot on. No way can SPH, legend that he is be lumped in with an established manager like DF. My heart said Paulo last week but now head and heart in agreement in 1st choice McClaren, 2nd Freedman, 3rd Coyle since O'Neil was ruled out.

Absolutely spot on. No way can SPH, legend that he is be lumped in with an established manager like DF. My heart said Paulo last week but now head and heart in agreement in 1st choice McClaren, 2nd Freedman, 3rd Coyle.

These are exactly the kind of managers we should be talking to.

Loved Paulo, loved SPH but after the excitement subsides the common sense kicks in.

Guess The Crowd

I can also vaguely recall he told the wife of the chairman (St Mirren) to FO and mind yer own business when she apparently got involved in a heated discussion between Fergie and the said chairman

Pretty sure that was Jim Clunie, who also left in similar circumstances?

The Old Tolbooth

Imagine the contacts he'd have?

Folk still turning their noses up at him are just daft...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Depends how deep you are I suppose.

Pretty much the right answer. Whatever is fit for purpose. McLaren is the Rolex on the list no doubt, but do we need a Rolex, will it get lost in the shit

heartsfc_fan

He'd be a bigger appointment than Rodgers was at Celtic.

He would be.

Wins the Eredivisie with a team outwith the big 3 for the first time in 30 years.

Not good enough for Hearts.

So it seems we want experience, but international, and top Dutch and English club experience isn't good enough? 

Who do some people think we can get? An actual experienced and currently successful manager. Mental thought processes. 

Steve MacLaren has an incredible CV compared to everyone else likely to be on the short list. But yeh, let's offer it to Tommy Wright because he won the Scottish Cup.

The Old Tolbooth

No.

Which is why we should dismiss it out of hand, apparently.

He'd be a bigger appointment than Rodgers was at Celtic.

I wouldn't go that far but I get your point, Rodgers was at Swansea and Liverpool, McLaren would love to manage at a level as high as that. 

Five to One

Pretty much the right answer. Whatever is fit for purpose. McLaren is the Rolex on the list no doubt, but do we need a Rolex, will it get lost in the shit

He might be a Rolex, but I'd prefer the Tag Heuer that is Sergio  :pleasingao:

John Findlay

In truth, have we ever had a manager with a better set of achievements?

Two league titles. One Scottish Cup and four Scottish League Cups. Step Forward Tommy Walker.

Unknown user

Wins the Eredivisie with a team outwith the big 3 for the first time in 30 years.

Not good enough for Hearts.

Well, apart from AZ Alkmaar who won it the year before

I wouldn't go that far but I get your point, Rodgers was at Swansea and Liverpool, McLaren would love to manage at a level as high as that. 

The England job is a higher level than Swansea and Liverpool. It could be said that assistant to Alex Ferguson at the time he was there when Man U were dominant was also a higher level than those two clubs. Working under the best manager in the world probably trumps managing Swansea, especially when he was there when they won the big treble - league, cup and CL.

Unknown user

Two league titles. One Scottish Cup and four Scottish League Cups. Step Forward Tommy Walker.

I'd say winning the Dutch league and a UEFA final are much bigger achievements but fair play - we've got to go to a great for comparison

The Old Tolbooth

The England job is a higher level than Swansea and Liverpool. It could be said that assistant to Alex Ferguson at the time he was there when Man U were dominant was also a higher level than those two clubs. Working under the best manager in the world probably trumps managing Swansea.

I'm forgetting he managed England too, there's certainly a good argument there to be had right enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voice of reason

I'd be happier with Freedman to be honest, even though on paper its a no brainer between the two.

Excellent post and exactly where I stand, even down to being happier with Freedman. Doing the England job badly in the past does not mean you should be a stick-on to get any job you apply for forever more. The fact he is unemployed and overlooked for any big jobs down South must surely set some alarm bells ringing for those saying appointing him is a no-brainer. Why are all the Premiership and Championship clubs down south ignoring him - are they all off their heads? He's had good spells in the past but not for a long, long time.

http://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/08/8-reasons-steve-mcclaren-would-fit-right-in-with-scottish-football/

I could see the media up here tearing him to pieces if he never started brilliantly. He is no more media savvy than Ian Cathro who at least had the excuse of being young.

Anyway, let's see what happens - if he get's the job then there are clearly upsides which might help him be a success. My sixth-sense is telling me this would end in disaster though. What do I know though - I thought Cathro was a great appointment at the time.

My heart says no with him. I can't exactly say why, I just don't think he'd be a good fit. Its probably because I'm so staunchly in the Paulo camp and I suppose McClaren is the only other real candidate for the job.

The Old Tolbooth

And I get yours, John.

He managed England. With a 50% win record admittedly.

That's a pinnacle for not just a British Manager, but ones from all over the world.

Rodgers will never manage England. Ever.

That's very true, he might get the Northern Irish job one day though [emoji3]

I'm forgetting he managed England too, there's certainly a good argument there to be had right enough.

England is one thing. For me working with Alex Ferguson when he led them to the very top has to be the thing that stands out though. It would be like sitting next to Steve Jobs while he created Apple or something - you must pick up a few things!

My heart says no with him. I can't exactly say why, I just don't think he'd be a good fit. Its probably because I'm so staunchly in the Paulo camp and I suppose McClaren is the only other real candidate for the job.

You seriously want Paulo Sergio before Steve McLaren? I actually find that quite unbelievable.

He was the England manager ffs. Nottingham Forest are also a much bigger club than Swansea City

"pretty decent"

"pretty decent"

"pretty decent"

This is why some Hearts fans deserve nothing good, ever. His CV is a million miles away from what we could ever expect in a manager. If he went for the Celtic job, it would be big news and heralded as a coup. It doesn't;t mean he would be an automatic success, but to call his CV "pretty decent" compared to the others on the list...

Personally if we're going high profile with international experience, O'Neill is a longer-term prospect and closer to the model of a younger, hungry coach. But MacLaren would be incredible, although it would be some about turn from a complete raw coach. Be an interesting comparison to see how much better he did though in terms of the ongoing argument over how much experience really matters.

The Old Tolbooth

England is one thing. For me working with Alex Ferguson when he led them to the very top has to be the thing that stands out though. It would be like sitting next to Steve Jobs while he created Apple or something - you must pick up a few things!

Yeah very true, he would be by far the most experienced we've ever taken on that's for sure. 

He was the England manager ffs. Nottingham Forest are also a much bigger club than Swansea City

Hey, I'm on your side, I desperately want this to happen! 

Archived