Steve McClaren

Hendricks

stick to singing only joking just came out a show at Eicc Steve McLaren just passed with a certain guy with a beard and another guy who I didn't recognise managed to get a photo on my phone but as I'm shit with posting I will send picture to Mr Sifter

Catching up with this thread and just saw this Ray. Did ye send anything? I've got nowt.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
letsalldothebeattie

I think for us as a club bringing in someone of Steve McClaren's stature would be a cracking appointment, very experienced coach in England and a very experienced manager in England, Holland & Germany. He hasn't had the best of times with Newcastle or Derby but he is still a manager who I think could do a decent job with us given the opportunity and should be able to bring in decent players given the vast contacts he has through the game.

Wasn't my first choice as our next gaffer but I wouldn't be against the appointment of Steve McClaren

Apologies guys just seen the quote above me and the missus were out last night and my son and grandson were staying with us and he must have been on my tablet and posted the message I have given him a slap he was holding my grandson at the time otherwise he would have got a right hook.

Right, so I've now caught up this far. Oh well :-)

What manager is 100% successfull everywhere apart from

Ferguson?

McLaren would be an astoundingly bold and ambitious appointment

And the connections and football player knowledge from down south would be solid gold.

Escobar PHM

Surely a man of McLarens stature would command a salary a club like hearts could not afford.

Would be some coup though.

Surely he's realised the ballpark salary we are going to be in before he applied ?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Communication skills of a goldfish......

Well he had us playing like a shoal of them in a tank. Round and round in circles. 

McClaren needs Hearts. I think Hearts need McClaren.

What's mental is everything is in place for this club to be successful. We just need the football side sorted.

McLaren will literally have millions in the bank.

Run and managed properly Hearts have huge potential.

He's done it all in England - EPL, Championship. England manager. He's had a stint abroad.

We'd be a real fresh challenge for him

Can people stop going on about 'style' of

Football FFS

When did you all turn into sister fisters

That sort of shite is partly responsible for where we are now.

Winning is all that matters and does not matter a shite how we do it

Half of you have turned into warrior poets with narrative arcs....

Quite ******* ridiculous.

Probably because a fair chunk of them are infiltrators.

Did he not do well with Derby first time - it was just second time but it was all a bit weird him going back?

Derby should have gone up via the playoffs his first time round (finished 3rd after taking over midtasble)but they got absolutely mugged in the final by QPR with a last minute winner.

They were top at end February the next year but v had a horror finish and ended up 7th after getting a lot of injuries.

Second time he got off to a great start but they had another terrible run and he got sacked.

Overall his track record is as good as, or better, than anyone we can realistically get abs he'd be a great candidate

I think his appointment would make sense, a vastly experienced manager/coach is needed if the club want to move forward with the "promote coaches from within" approach.....these younger coaches such as Daly and Macphee need someone they are young to learn from and that person shouldn't be the DOF

McLaren is head and shoulders above the other names being mentioned (although O'Neill would still be my pick) and his record isn't that bad.....he was probably too successful at the beginning of this second spell at derby, he pulled them from the relegation battle up to the play off places before the wheels seemed to fall off, but looked like he was the victim of his own success

Jambo 4 Ever

Lolz

How's it funny?

How do we know he would be ok working with Levein as director of football?

How's it funny?

Cause they are bezzie mates.

Levein was best man at Steve's wedding

I'd be delighted if he was appointed.

It would be a bold statement of our intent and ambitions. Not suggesting for a moment he'd get squillions to invest in the team but McClaren, I would imagine, would only sign up if decent funds were available to immediately enhance the squad we already have.

No tears in my beers if O'Neill or Paulo get the gig, though.

If this is true it would be a phenomenal appointment.

This. Don't always agree with GK however McClaren has done well at provincial clubs, FC Twente & Middlesbrough fans loved him.

If this is true it would be a phenomenal appointment.

Correct. But we'll still have some of our support wanting the likes of Hartley and Freedman....

Heres Rixxy

I'd be delighted with McLaren but unsure whether I could handle the inevitable constant misspelling of his name on here...

Never thought I'd get a semi over Steve McClaren, but it's happening. Would be a sensational appointment.

Ferguson?

And the connections and football player knowledge from down south would be solid gold.

Can we not just continue with the director of football model but replace Craig with Alex, he said we were the team he looked out for next to the Rangers results when he was a boy. It fits, McClaren and Fergie have both worked together, successfully. Lets have the dream team appointed immediately, finish the work Wallace started twenty seven years ago.

All joking aside, McClaren is exactly what we need. Twice turning Derby teams around, all be it they ultimately didn't cross the finishing line but extraneous circumstances had a huge part to play in those outcomes. For me its a no brainer.

I'd be delighted with McLaren but unsure whether I could handle the inevitable constant misspelling of his name on here...

That would happen if we got someone named 'A'.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I would be delighted with the appointment of McLaren and just think if we could bring in someone like Hartley as his assistant, how good would that be. 

Ron Burgundy

Not gonna let myself get excited by this as we will no doubt feck up any negotiations and settle for Daly.

That's assuming he is in for it in the first place.

Ferguson?

Even Ferguson wasn't successful everywhere.

This. Don't always agree with GK however McClaren has done well at provincial clubs, FC Twente & Middlesbrough fans loved him.

Lets hope he can do it with a non-provincial club should he join Hearts.

Ferguson?

Alex Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren.

Cathro left without speaking to the players?

If true what a dick.

He would of emailed them with his laptop.

Even a cursory glance at his record tell you in relative terms he was though mate. You must have extremely high standards if you think otherwise.

Alex Ferguson was sacked by St Mirren.

Not for being unsuccessful, though. Lead them to the Division 1 title in 1977. Iirc, his departure had something to do with falling out with the board/owner.

.....McClaren has done well at provincial clubs, FC Twente & Middlesbrough fans loved him.

And therein lies my problem with McClaren. If he were to join HMFC, he may be quite (or very) successful, but (I) he would bolt if a good club in England wanted him and / or (ii) would he be content and able to build a team without spending any meaningful cash?

SectionDJambo

A little fact that the thickos that try to pass themselves off as football commentators in Scotland, can't get into their pea brains.

Provincial means outwith the capital, especially in a wee country like ours.

This means that Celtic and Rangers are provincial clubs.

Cruyff Turn

Not for me. I don't think he's suited to a club like ourselves. We've got poorer players than he's ever worked with.

His successes as manager came off the back of having a great spine in his teams. Massively experienced Goalkeeper and defence, usually with two very good Defensive midfield players in front of them.

Probably suited to an Italian club where they have mountains of good Defensive players to pick from.

Of course, it would be rude not to interview him if he has applied given his C.V. so I hope that this is merely just us going through the motions.

Dougie Freedman is a much more sensible & suitable candidate for us.

And therein lies my with McClaren. If he were to join HMFC, he may be quite (or very) successful, but (I) he would bolt if a good club in England wanted him and / or (ii) would he be content and able to build a team without spending any meaningful cash?

If any manager is successful at Hearts a they will bolt to a bigger club

What do we want - mediocrity so they stay for years?

August Landmesser

And therein lies my problem with McClaren. If he were to join HMFC, he may be quite (or very) successful, but (I) he would bolt if a good club in England wanted him and / or (ii) would he be content and able to build a team without spending any meaningful cash?

Did he have much cash to spend at Twente? I assume Derby, Boro & Newcastle were fairly spendy, but how much money is there in the Dutch league outside Ajax, PSV etc?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Nookie Bear

Impossible not to read anything into Cathro leaving without speaking to his players, or judge him for it.

Even now, I cannot understand how Levein believed this guy was going to motivate or control a dressing room.

And therein lies my problem with McClaren. If he were to join HMFC, he may be quite (or very) successful, but (I) he would bolt if a good club in England wanted him and / or (ii) would he be content and able to build a team without spending any meaningful cash?

I don't think we will have a problem with this as we want the youth coaches and have them ready when the manager leaves. We had planned for Robbie leaving after his first season when we did really well in the championship.

Impossible not to read anything into Cathro leaving without speaking to his players, or judge him for it.

Even now, I cannot understand how Levein believed this guy was going to motivate or control a dressing room.

I agree

Equally that's just one player.

He might not have spoken to Djoum because he hasn't tried a leg for 9 months

Did he not do well with Derby first time - it was just second time but it was all a bit weird him going back?

Yes, I think he got to the play-offs but lost to QPR

Nookie Bear

And therein lies my problem with McClaren. If he were to join HMFC, he may be quite (or very) successful, but (I) he would bolt if a good club in England wanted him and / or (ii) would he be content and able to build a team without spending any meaningful cash?

If he leaves, we recruit again.

Clearly the role is attractive.

Not for being unsuccessful, though. Lead them to the Division 1 title in 1977. Iirc, his departure had something to do with falling out with the board/owner.

If memory serves, was it not to do with how he conducted transfers and more specifically his percentage of said transfers?

The Internet

How's it funny?

If he's applied for the job (I have no idea if he has) then that's quite a clear sign. Maybe not clear enough I guess.

Archived