Steve McClaren

Hendricks

Bungalow Bill

If McClaren has applied and his salary expectations are realistic then the search for a new Head Coach is over in my opinion. His CV has enough positives on it to warrant a crack at our job.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me that says more about the standard of Scottish football than the managerial pedigree of McClaren

No decent sized English club would consider him after his dismal record at Newcastle and Derby

He's a waffling fecker as well - Every interview he gave when his teams suffered another defeat was along the lines of " we regroup and we go again "

Other phrases he uses are " we need strong characters in the dressing room " and after his teams lose late leads " we've got to be smarter than that "

This record at Derby has become a bit of a myth his first spell at Derby is more than impressive for any manager especially in that league. Second time round while not as good still saw him lose only 9 games in 30 matches.

Newcastle is an utter basket case and managers graveyard so who cares.

The guys record as coach and manager is better than anybody mentioned..In fact it pisses all over them.

Unknown user

Seriously don't want him. Just because he's managed at a high level doesn't make him a good manager.

No, winning the eredivisie with an unfashionable team makes him a good manager

Seriously don't want him. Just because he's managed at a high level doesn't make him a good manager.

Who do you want then?

This record at Derby has become a bit of a myth his first spell at Derby is more than impressive for any manager especially in that league. Second time round while not as good still saw him lose only 9 games in 30 matches.

Newcastle is an utter basket case and managers graveyard so who cares.

The guys record as coach and manager is better than anybody mentioned..In fact it pisses all over them.

I agree with this, Newcastle is a poisoned chalice, coupled with the England jobs ludicrous media demands and fan expectations, hardly anyone has been able to escape those two positions with pass marks. Bobby Robson aside.

ford donald

Then I am officially insane (relieved to have it confirmed actually!).  I really don't want McLaren, I am English and he was a disaster for us, I know a number of Derby fans and they tell me he is great for a short term bounce but then he cannot sustain it.  That's not what we need.  He did well in Holland I admit but even that faded quickly and he frankly embarrassed himself with some of the interviews and things.  Middlesbrough he did okay but spent a fortune.  I would rather have Freedman all day long  

:spoton:  Have to agree with you,Freedman looks taylormade for us.

Bungalow Bill

UEFA cup final, won the Dutch league with FC Twente and was SAF's assistant, and you don't want him...

Care to suggest someone better qualified who is available?

wattie exploited

he got sacked at his last two clubs !

so what he managed England so what .

C L managed Scotland   both got sacked !!!!!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He might get frustrated with the level of player he is working with. A good manager does not necessarily mean he is the best fit

I'm not entirely sure I understand some of the comments on here.

We have just had the worst manager in our history, who has arguably just about ruined us and people are saying McClaren is sh**e!

Please can you stop and think for a moment!

McClaren would be an excellent appointment. His experience and contacts would transform the club for the better. Arguably Freedman would also be an excellent appointment. I'd be very happy with either.

If people are going to say things like he is sh**e or rubbish manager then the least you can do is justify it.

Also meant to be a really good coach (yeah I know that didn't work last time) worked at Man United. He'd be a real statement of intent.

Then define what a "good" manager is.

I'm inclined to suppose that anyone who has managed at high levels and won trophies along the way is ? in any reasonable definition ? in the "good manager" bracket.

This place is absolutely unreal [emoji23][emoji23]

There are people turning their noses up at McLaren, but they'd be happy to see Houston or Sergio take over, am I living in a parallel universe? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nailed it.

No, winning the eredivisie with an unfashionable team makes him a good manager

Indeed impressive but that was what 7-8 years ago? Not convinced by his record since then and it would appear that no teams down south will touch him anymore so he's applied for our vacancy

Captain Sausage

This thread highlights how thick so much of our support is. Anyone who would think twice about hiring a manager with premier league experience, ex-England manager and with a track record in the championship and Eredivisie is utterly devoid of any awareness of Hearts stature in the footballing world.

C L managed Scotland   both got sacked !!!!!!

So many managers get sacked throughout their careers. You would be hard pushed to get one that is experienced, financially viable and having never been removed from office to come in and take the Hearts job.

Then define what a "good" manager is.

I'm inclined to suppose that anyone who has managed at high levels and won trophies along the way is ? in any reasonable definition ? in the "good manager" bracket.

Yes but a good manager has high success rates throughout a career. he's a bit of a busted flush in recent times. Fair enough he's had success years ago but not convinced.

I said on this thread a few days ago that it would be a fantastic appointment. However I was unsure as to how much truth was actually in the story. The S*n reporting it hasn't changed that! 

Unknown user

Then I am officially insane (relieved to have it confirmed actually!). I really don't want McLaren, I am English and he was a disaster for us, I know a number of Derby fans and they tell me he is great for a short term bounce but then he cannot sustain it. That's not what we need. He did well in Holland I admit but even that faded quickly and he frankly embarrassed himself with some of the interviews and things. Middlesbrough he did okay but spent a fortune. I would rather have Freedman all day long

I don't know what you mean when you say his dutch league win faded quickly. His first season there he got them second place and kept them in Europe past winter for the first time, the following season he won the league. He got the Wolfsburg job on the back of that where it didn't work out, but that doesn't diminish what was a huge achievement in Holland.

Who do you want then?

O'Neill for me. Macphee staying put so that makes that issue easier, knows the Edinburgh derby and the meaning of it. Also has managerial experience in Scotland.

Lucille's Thirsty

We do have some arrogant supporters turning their nose up at a former national team manager albeit he was poor.

If he's applied that should be the end of it IMO.

Winston Ingram

O'Neill for me. Macphee staying out so that makes that issue easier, knows the Edinburgh derby and the meaning of it. Also has managerial experience in Scotland.

Why are people even still discussing this as a possibility?!

C L managed Scotland both got sacked !!!!!!

Who would you have then?

Unknown user

Indeed impressive but that was what 7-8 years ago? Not convinced by his record since then and it would appear that no teams down south will touch him anymore so he's applied for our vacancy

No that's fair, and it should be pointed out that he failed when he returned to Twente.

But who on earth is a better candidate for Hearts? Are we honestly likely to get someone who's won the Dutch league six times and never been sacked?

His achievements speak for themselves, when he gets it right he gets it right. We can hardly complain about Cathro's lack of track record then not be impressed with McClaren's achievements imo.

C L managed Scotland both got sacked !!!!!!

Who do you suggest we get?

We have just had the worst manager in our history, who has arguably just about ruined us and people are saying McClaren is sh**e!

McClaren would be an excellent appointment. His experience and contacts would transform the club for the better. Arguably Freedman would also be an excellent appointment. I'd be very happy with either.

If people are going to say things like he is sh**e or rubbish manager then the least you can do is justify it.

Yip, his contacts in the game, near and far, could unearth some real diamonds.

Most managers have been sacked, big deal, but his profile is still high enough. What's not to like, especially after the recent experiment we all had to endure.

We do have some arrogant supporters turning their nose up at a former national team manager albeit he was poor.

If he's applied that should be the end of it IMO.

Bang on the money. 

McClaren shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Paul Hartley, Owen Coyle, Dougie Freedman or Steven Pressley in a managerial capacity. It would be an exceptional appointment. 

FWIW, his record when he was sacked by Derby was 12 wins, 6 draws and 8 defeats. A ridiculous record to sack a manager. Our record under IC, for comparison, was 8 wins in 31.

The English leagues have this crazy managerial merry-go-round and bonkers owners that want instant success. I have no doubt that Steve McClaren would improve the football side of our club beyond expectations. 

julienbrellier

You've got to laugh at people saying he isn't good enough, wouldn't do well here etc. If we are able to secure him it will go down as the best managerial appointment since Burley. He is extremely experienced which is exactly what we need. I actually question whether we could secure his services, that how good and ambitious an appointment this would be.

Folk not wanting Steve McClaren as manager must be absolutely delusional about the respective size of Heart of Midlothian. We're talking about a guy successful enough to be appointed as the England manager. Mind boggling stuff again!

And he was an absolute disaster when he got the England job despite having the likes of lampard, gerrard, Rooney etc.

Then he's only had one successful job after that (2 if you include derby but he still got sacked)

If we go down the route of avoiding anyone who's been sacked, that's gonna be one seriously short shortlist! Seriously, I question some of the opinions on here, they can't be serious. :lol:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

People saying no to McClaren? :facepalm:

He's a really arrogant sod who would take the Old Firm on quite happily. In amongst the bad spell in his career he's had some very good ones too.

Unknown user

If we go down the route of avoiding anyone who's been sacked, that's gonna be one seriously short shortlist! Seriously, I question some of the opinions on here, they can't be serious. :lol:

Only one way to avoid that - we need a rookie!!

Escobar PHM

Every single appointment and signing this club makes is a gamble. That's the market we operate in. Our recruitment comes with no guarantees at any level.

McLaren has a pretty decent CV and ticks the experience box several times over. He ticks the contacts box and he ticks the 'high level' box He doesn't really tick the success box (apart from a Leicester type freak title win in Holland) though and he doesn't tick the 'knows Scottish football' box. In fact I've seen him cut a pretty sad figure on occasion and question whether he's a 'winner' or has the baws to manage up here.

That doesn't mean I don't want him. I certainly do but he only looks good on his cv at this stage. He could easily be shite in real life.

Its about minimising the risk and he's certainly less of a risk than someone like Hartley. But he isn't risk free. Not by a long way.

I'd be happier with Freedman to be honest, even though on paper its a no brainer between the two.

ToadKiller Dog

If he has put himself forward of course we should speak to him 100% .

Even if it's just to hear his ideas .

Archived