Steve McClaren

Hendricks

Yeah very true, he would be by far the most experienced we've ever taken on that's for sure.

Hey, I'm on your side, I desperately want this to happen!

Not having a go and have now seen you'd forgotten about the England job. I'm just shocked by a number of folk on here thinking he wouldn't be a coup!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to have a bit of perspective about his first spell at Derby! Was hugely successful in a tough league before, admittedly, a real capitulation. Overall it was a 56% win rate including his shocking last few months.

Take him. Only an imbecile would be unhappy at his appointment.

The Old Tolbooth

Not having a go and have now seen you'd forgotten about the England job. I'm just shocked by a number of folk on here thinking he wouldn't be a coup!!

Me too, it's madness to think folk would rather have Sergio or Hartley instead of him, I can't get my head around it. 

William H. Bonney

See that manager with the 100% career win percentage, we should go for him.

Oh...what's his name again...?

Sam allardyce has a 100% international record.

There is no perfect candidate for Hearts.

There is no one out there who ticks the various boxes that the support have as criteria but who hasn't failed elsewhere. And even if this person did exist, then there's no guarantee they would be a success at Hearts. Better managers have failed in easier gigs. You can't guarantee a fit.

However, you have to seriously question what the folk turning their nose up at McLaren have in their heads. Here's a guy with lots of experience including as an assistant in some of the biggest jobs in the world. It's not always gone well but he's won trophies, reached a European final, has a good cup record in big competitions. As a bonus he knows Levein and they by all accounts get on well.

He might not be the man but I hope we at the very least give him an interview and see what he was from us. It's a million times more interesting than last week when our choice was painted as Tommy Wright, Peter Houston or Jon Daly

He'd need to bring his brolly, if the drips from the roof are anything like the other three stands, he'd get soaked, maybe the fourth official could shelter under it too

rudi must stay

And I get yours, John.

He managed England. With a 50% win record admittedly.

That's a pinnacle for not just a British Manager, but ones from all over the world.

Rodgers will never manage England. Ever.

Wouldn't want to he's Northern Irish. McClaren would be phenomenal though, how he got a terrible Boro side to the UEFA Cup Final only he'll know and he would improve every single player in the team with his coaching methods, and you don't manage some big and ambitious club without strong man management, he has after all worked with Sir Alex Ferguson. If he's interested take him, he's worth spending a bit more on too, managers as good as him aren't usually interested in managing Hearts

rudi must stay

And I get yours, John.

That's a pinnacle for not just a British Manager, but ones from all over the world.

Wouldn't want to he's Northern Irish. McClaren would be phenomenal though, how he got a terrible Boro side to the UEFA Cup Final only he'll know and he would improve every single player in the team with his coaching methods, and you don't manage some big and ambitious club without strong man management, he has after all worked with Sir Alex Ferguson. If he's interested take him, he's worth spending a bit more on too, managers as good as him aren't usually interested in managing Hearts

Lucille's Thirsty

And I get yours, John.

That's a big statement Barack.

Gareth Southgate manages England right now and Brendan Rodgers is a superior manager, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the England job in the future. He's not going to stay in Scotland for too long.

Jambof3tornado

I'm sorry but this is a total no brainer.

Some people genuinely saying no thanks???

Really?

Lucille's Thirsty

Sam allardyce has a 100% international record.

That pint of wine :lol:

I'm sorry but this is a total no brainer.

Some people genuinely saying no thanks???

Really?

****ed up mentally to say thanks but no thanks to this one. 

That's a big statement Barack.

Gareth Southgate manages England right now and Brendan Rodgers is a superior manager, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the England job in the future. He's not going to stay in Scotland for too long.

Rodgers won't manage England, especially after several years or so romping the league and failing in Europe at Celtic. The fact he signed a long-term contract suggests he's after an easy life. The England job is the very opposite of easy.

I see too many issues with McLaren. Whilst he undoubtably has terrific achievements on his CV I'm not completely sure he's the man for us at this time. He's been sacked from his last two jobs and, aside from Middlesborough, has been underwhelming in terms of his achievements in the British game. I'm also convinced the next Hearts manager must be a good motivator and have good man management skills to go with their philosophy and coaching methods. A balanced appointment if you will. On a number of occasions I've heard McLaren be described as a 'fantastic coach' which in context was a nice way of saying he's not got the full package. Having worked with much higher budgets I am sceptical a drastic drop in transfer kitty would lead to anything other than loan signings from premier league and championship youth systems which I'm not a fan of.

With the last point in mind it is almost contradicting myself when I say I want Paulo Sergio but it's clear that not only the players, but the fans, need a lift. An air of positivity. What better way to do this than with a manager who presided over the greatest game in our history.

In the event McLaren is the next Hearts manager I hope I have never been more wrong in my life.

A 45% win record for his domestic career. A 50% win record with England. 2 major honours and led boro to a major European final. Worked under fergie and although dull as dish water very well regarded within the game. Not for me, let's go for Paul Hartley cause he played for us and done well with Alloa hahahahahaha Jesus. If he's even applied, thank the rest for their interest and give the man the keys to his office.

rudi must stay

If Rodgers had a phone call tomorrow from England to take over, he'd sell his children and drop Celtic in a fart beat(not a typo) to manage England.

The money alone means he could buy his kids back on the Black Market.

Goes for any sane football person with an ounce of confidence in themselves, and who'd want progression of their management ability.

Rodgers is a very proud Irishman. Northern Ireland or Ireland he'd take the job, not England. He's waiting on a monster of a club, one of the big four in England, that will give him progression, and he will do well there to.

Escobar PHM

"pretty decent"

"pretty decent"

"pretty decent"

This is why some Hearts fans deserve nothing good, ever. His CV is a million miles away from what we could ever expect in a manager. If he went for the Celtic job, it would be big news and heralded as a coup. It doesn't;t mean he would be an automatic success, but to call his CV "pretty decent" compared to the others on the list...

Personally if we're going high profile with international experience, O'Neill is a longer-term prospect and closer to the model of a younger, hungry coach. But MacLaren would be incredible, although it would be some about turn from a complete raw coach. Be an interesting comparison to see how much better he did though in terms of the ongoing argument over how much experience really matters.

So you don't see any flaws or any possible thing to discuss about his suitability. Its a nailed on certainty that he would be a success ?

I am merely highlighting that his cv, although 'pretty decent', has the odd question mark in it, like for example one or 2 very low win ratios.

Add to that that he's probably only been to Scotland for a holiday and probably has a vastly skewed opinion of what would be required up here which he'll have to get up to speed on pretty damn quick and might fall at that hurdle as many have.

O'Neil would be a vastly superior appointment to McClaren. He's the very definition of a safe pair of hands and the closest thing there would be to a guaranteed uplift.

McLaren has flaws. Ive pointed them out. Overall he is a very VERY good manager on paper for our level. He could still be an utter disaster though> he's not that good to rule it out.

If Rodgers had a phone call tomorrow from England to take over, he'd sell his children and drop Celtic in a fart beat(not a typo) to manage England.

Goes for any sane football person with an ounce of confidence in themselves, and who'd want progression of their management ability.

I actually think after the first Management cull of the new season, Rodgers may well be back in the EPL.

rudi must stay

Rodgers is a very proud Irishman. Northern Ireland or Ireland he'd take the job, not England. He's waiting on a monster of a club, one of the big four in England, that will give him progression, and he will do well there too.

A 45% win record for his domestic career. A 50% win record with England. 2 major honours and led boro to a major European final. Worked under fergie and although dull as dish water very well regarded within the game. Not for me, let's go for Paul Hartley cause he played for us and done well with Alloa hahahahahaha Jesus. If he's even applied, thank the rest for their interest and give the man the keys to his office.

Indeed. If he has applied, which seems true, then that alone should put to bed all the shite about experienced managers not wanting to work for Levein once and for all.

So you don't see any flaws or any possible thing to discuss about his suitability. Its a nailed on certainty that he would be a success ?

I am merely highlighting that his cv, although 'pretty decent', has the odd question mark in it, like for example one or 2 very low win ratios.

Add to that that he's probably only been to Scotland for a holiday and probably has a vastly skewed opinion of what would be required up here which he'll have to get up to speed on pretty damn quick and might fall at that hurdle as many have.

O'Neil would be a vastly superior appointment to McClaren. He's the very definition of a safe pair of hands and the closest thing there would be to a guaranteed uplift.

McLaren has flaws. Ive pointed them out. Overall he is a very VERY good manager on paper for our level. He could still be an utter disaster though> he's not that good to rule it out.

Who exactly do you think we could attract with a better CV?

Rodgers won't manage England, especially after several years or so romping the league and failing in Europe at Celtic. The fact he signed a long-term contract suggests he's after an easy life. The England job is the very opposite of easy.

Tell that to Gareth Southgate who has done fa his managerial career and is in charge now. 

Tell that to Gareth Southgate who has done fa his managerial career and is in charge now. 

I'm sure he's aware.

Rodgers is a very proud Irishman. Northern Ireland or Ireland he'd take the job, not England. He's waiting on a monster of a club, one of the big four in England, that will give him progression, and he will do well there too.

He will never manage anyone bigger than Liverpool.

Indeed. If he has applied, which seems true, then that alone should put to bed all the shite about experienced managers not wanting to work for Levein once and for all.

I think he could even be the perfect man to help Levein get better in the role of DoF. I've been highly critical of Levein in the role for the past season. The attention to detail from the championship seems to have gone missing and he's certainly struggled in the transfer market. I think this is the very definition of "no brainer" for me.

Click on the Steve McLaren thread expecting it to be a wank fest of excitement and read folk don't want him? Incredible

At first we were offered polls of Houston, Hartley or Pressley and now folk don't fancy Steve McLaren? Really quite laughable

The two outstanding names linked are McLaren and O'Neill, to get either of them would be dream stuff.

Cathro to McLaren is immeasurable

Click on the Steve McLaren thread expecting it to be a wank fest of excitement and read folk don't want him? Incredible

At first we were offered polls of Houston, Hartley or Pressley and now folk don't fancy Steve McLaren? Really quite laughable

The two outstanding names linked are McLaren and O'Neill, to get either of them would be dream stuff.

Cathro to McLaren is immeasurable

It would genuinely be quite mad if that came about. Never boring following Hearts

Escobar PHM

Who exactly do you think we could attract with a better CV?

Your missing the point completely. He's got a great CV. I imagine it'll be the best CV ever to land of the desk.

1. He isn't a motivator, he's a tactician and we sorely need a motivator.

2. He hasn't managed in Scotland. That is a hurdle that many have fallen at. It shite but it needs a certain type to succeed. Does he strike anyone as the type ?

3. His last 3 or 4 jobs have been abject failures

4. No one in the top 2 leagues in England will touch him.

Just some of the question marks against him. He isn't neccesarily the answer just because his CV has some wee gold stars on it.

Lucille's Thirsty

The last big club he'll have in England was Liverpool.

As he's sitting back having the easy life. 

Gareth Southgate is having the easy life? Well it is the qualifiers. They always skoosh the qualifiers.

Your missing the point completely. He's got a great CV. I imagine it'll be the best CV ever to land of the desk.

1. He isn't a motivator and we sorely need one

2. He hasn't managed in Scotland. That is a hurdle that many have fallen at. It shite but it needs a certain type to succeed. Dioes he strike anyone as the type ?

Just some of the question marks against him. He isn't neccesarily the answer just because his CV has some wee gold stars on it.

Give it a rest. So his CV has gone from pretty decent to great in a couple of posts. "He hasn't managed in Scotland" - dearie me.

Again - name someone with a better CV who has applied to Hearts or might. I think you mentioned Dougie Freedman....

Horatio Caine

1. He isn't a motivator and we sorely need one

2. He hasn't managed in Scotland. That is a hurdle that many have fallen at. It shite but it needs a certain type to succeed. Does he strike anyone as the type ?

Agree.  I thought I was the only one on here feeling totally underwhelmed at the prospect.

Escobar PHM

Give it a rest. So his CV has gone from pretty decent to great in a couple of posts. "He hasn't managed in Scotland" - dearie me.

Pretty decent in football terms. Great in terms of what will be coming through our post box. Whats so hard about that to understand ?

You don't think his lack of experience of Scottish football is a question mark in any way shape or form ?

You seriously want Paulo Sergio before Steve McLaren? I actually find that quite unbelievable.

Me too.  No way Sergio is in the running for the job.  And only a mad person would take him over McLaren.

maroonlegions

McLaren would be a great signing.

Every one has a risk factor but his contacts alone are second to none up here  i would imagine.

Pretty decent in football terms. Great in terms of what will be coming through our post box. Whats so hard about that to understand ?

You don't think his lack of experience of Scottish football is a question mark in any way shape or form ?

No.

Gareth Southgate is having the easy life? Well it is the qualifiers. They always skoosh the qualifiers.

Correct.  Can't be much easier for him tbh.  He will get punted with a golden handshake after being spunked on at the WC.  Rodgers taking Celtic into Europe is far greater a challenge. 

His CV is quite something and vast amounts of experience, but huge question marks over his man management and tactics.

The last big club he'll have in England was Liverpool.

Why would that be?  He's a very talented manager. 

No I really don't. The guy has assisted Alex Ferguson, managed England and several clubs abroad. I really don't think preparing a team to play Patrick Thistle away will worry him.

Was it not 11 years ago we were talking about Bobby Robson? Same arguments then IIRC. Hope we don't end up with the Rixxy eqivalent.

Archived