Steve McClaren

Hendricks

Hackney Hearts

More glaring than Valdas's omission, is the trophies that have been stripped from Neilson, Sergio and Jefferies :D

Fair enough that Rix has been airbrushed from history though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buffalo Bill

While I would take Sergio back, his tenure is completely overestimated by one result. Yes, Sergio had to work through undoubtedly difficult circumstances with players not being paid etc but if we had say lost the semi final to Celtic or worse the final to Hibs, would there be such a clamour for him to come back? I doubt it.

Sergio, will always be a legend but I think it's blinkering some fans judgement on the calibre of applicants we have had from what we know about Coyle & Freedman are definitely interested and there's certainly no smoke without fire in relation to McClaren and Sergio's record since leaving us been poor at best.

'If my aunty had baws' type-post.

But he did beat Celtic in the semi and he did win the final v Hibs.

Celtic fans and the media weren't over joyed when they announced Rodgers as a manager. When they lost to the red imps many questioned the appointment further. He'd been deemed a failure in England for Liverpool collapsing in that infamous manner a few seasons before. His dealings in the transfer market were also discussed and his lack of winning trophies. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Celtic are delighted with him now and he can literally do no wrong in the eyes of the media. McLaren has had a few ropey years at clubs lacking in any form of stability. When he is given time and stability he has performed really well. His knowledge and contacts would help every department of the club. He'd teach Ann a few things about football management and he'd develop Leveins knowledge as well. We should be jumping at this man. Exactly what we need.

Look at the effect a good manager has on a team.

Aside from being a welt , Rodgers stature, authority and knowledge has turned players nearly out the door at Celtique into regulars , some now sought after, and in general made them look a completely different side with largely the same players Deila had.

Winston Ingram

As much as I'd love McLaren to get the job, I just don't see him taking it.

He'd have money to spend, but it would be a fraction of what he's been used to at previous clubs.

It's relative. He also wouldn't need the same level of money.

McClaren's decision is about whether he is likely to get a job at a decent level in England. If not, this becomes a good option even for a couple of years.

He is also a guy who knows a good bit about Hearts. The fact this is the case and he still applied is interesting in itself.

McClaren's decision is about whether he is likely to get a job at a decent level in England. If not, this becomes a good option even for a couple of years.

He is also a guy who knows a good bit about Hearts. The fact this is the case and he still applied is interesting in itself.

Even more so when he took Cathro to Newcastle and gave him an important gig.

I don't know what his remit up here would be Though, second place and a trophy? Short term this season we are far off that.

Uefa cup final, champions league group stage qualification, second in the eredivisie, first in the eredivisie.

exactly spot on and they will also look at the other clubs and the outcomes.

J.T.F.Robertson

The level of player he'd be working with would be a fair bit lower than he's accustomed to, I wonder how that might factor?

Him the fur coat and us the nae knickers.

The level of player he'd be working with would be a fair bit lower than he's accustomed to, I wonder how that might factor?

The level he's up against would be lower as well

Winston Ingram

Of course. That links to a wider point about Scotland/level of football here and goes back to what he would need to consider... What is his alternative?

J.T.F.Robertson

Of course. That links to a wider point about Scotland/level of football here and goes back to what he would need to consider... What is his alternative?

We need someone who'll be fully committed and I just wonder if his time at that higher level would allow him to make those allowances, and still be fully focused on the cause.

All very hypothetical at this point, right enough.

This is the key thing for me. Its clear that his interest is not motivated by money. He is a very rich man given the jobs he has had in recent years. He and his advisors are going to be well aware of the finances in Scottish football out with Celtic and what a club like Hearts is going to be capable of affording so whilst of course there could still be issues over a 'package' I don't necessarily see that as being the stumbling block. I'd love Hearts to get imaginative with that and incentivize it big time for him.

In my view he is not going to get an EPL job again and his opportunities maybe limited in the Championship given previous jobs he has had there. The Championship is also a grueling league, 46 matches plus the cups and huge amounts of travel every couple of weeks. he may think been there done that. He could almost definitely go and work abroad but maybe he doesn't want that at this stage. He is apparently very settled in the north of England and has 3 boys so Edinburgh may well be very attractive given its location and a couple of hour drive.

Overall I don't know whats going to happen, its clear the info I was given and reported in the OP was accurate but I've heard nothing more definitive at this stage.

Well he certainly would not be applying for the money we could pay him and the budget he would have for players, he maybe sees this club as a challenge with the training facilities and the future of the academy thrown into the mix plus the fanbase, just maybe would appeal.

jamboinglasgow

Reminds me something I remember being said about McClaren years ago by a football journalist, that is a head coach rather than a manager. Would fit well with us then.

Phil D. Corners

This would be a George Burley level signing if we do it.

I remember thinking it would never happen when we were looking to get Burley..... and not believing it when I did.

I busy at work at the time but I quickly read it on the evening news website. I went carried on with my job but went back to my desk 15mins later to check the story again.

What a great few months followed.

Chuck Berry

I wouldn't say that managing in the Championship is a million miles away from managing one of the bigger clubs in Scotland.  The quality down south in that division is in many cases over hyped.

Look at the effect a good manager has on a team.

Aside from being a welt , Rodgers stature, authority and knowledge has turned players nearly out the door at Celtique into regulars , some now sought after, and in general made them look a completely different side with largely the same players Deila had.

100% agree. A good manager can change the atmosphere of the whole club.

Steve McClaren would be an absolutely stunning appointment

If there is the remotest chance of this being possible then I'd be all for it

Clubs of our size can't pass up such an opportunity. He'd bring thorough professionalism and good order for starters. Guys like Djoum would be jettisoned without ever playing a game for him

If we go down this route you've got to be prepared to back him. That probably means another 3/4 of standard of Berra / Lafferty

Not sure if we can afford that. Conversely I'm not sure we can afford not to either

Interesting times. Would be a helluva appointment though

kingantti1874

Steve mclaren would be a great appointment.. Very much in the George burley mould of experience.. Not only that has great contacts in England and would be able to attract a player.. Easily the most high profile manager in Scotland outside of celtic..

That said.. I'd still like Paulo.. Something tells me he is the man for right now..

rudi must stay

Steve mclaren would be a great appointment.. Very much in the George burley mould of experience.. Not only that has great contacts in England and would be able to attract a player.. Easily the most high profile manager in Scotland outside of celtic..

That said.. I'd still like Paulo.. Something tells me he is the man for right now..

All about what they leave IMO. Do well, and I think McClaren and Freedman would, and they won't be here long. I have a feeling we wouldn't be back to square one if Freedman left and we might with McClaren

kingantti1874

All about what they leave IMO. Do well, and I think McClaren and Freedman would, and they won't be here long. I have a feeling we wouldn't be back to square one if Freedman left and we might with McClaren

Yep.. I want someone who wants to be hearts manager for 3/4 years

There's a niggling doubt in my mind over McClaren and I'm not sure why. I like the idea of Freedman more I think, but again, I don't know why.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Another thing the McClaren link highlights, is the age old fable of running down Scottish Football.

"Well, if he'll be used to a better class of player. He won't have that here."

"He'll not have the money to spend, so don't know why he'd bother."

If it wasn't so funny...it'd be...funny.

Here we have a Scottish Club, (it just so happens to be us.) let's take the bias out of it for a second.

If ANY club in our division was linked to our rivals, we should be applauding both the club and McClaren for having the foresight to want to apply for a team in Scotland.

It's been said enough, he's a multi- millionaire. So it's not that. Would folk expect him to be guiding us into the Champions League? Doubt it. But, if you apply to our League, outside of Celtic, you want one thing,imo, a challenge.

The publicity this's generated already is a fraction of what it could be, if amazingly he did sign. He'll be well aware he's not getting hundreds of thousands, never mind EPL silly money. He'll be well aware of what we're trying to implement as a club for the future. And that interests him.

The media lapped it up when Rodgers was announced, and signed. Even more so now. Rodgers didn't apply to Celtic with the mindest of "Scottish Football's rank, I'll not get a challenge up there", I'd imagine. His challenge is getting Celtic into the CL, and competing. It so happens other teams have to be run over in the process. Once he gets to a certain level, and a decent Premiership job opens...he's gone. Who could blame him.

If McClaren signed, he'd have same ambitions. I personally wouldn't blame him. Our ambition for entertaining this idea should be applauded in the media. And it might...for a wee while.

Then, I feel if it's going wrong, they'll dredge up every poor past result and performance he's had, as an excuse to lambast Hearts for having the temerity to try something new. Again.

Cathro "experiment" failed, they were smugly proved correct.This "experiment" if failed, they could be smugly proved correct. That goes for elements of our support too.

If talks break down(if gets to that stage) so be it. But, personally, it's the boost the club needs, and the national game's exposure that it also badly needs. We get run down at every waking opportunity. We've a chance to say: " We're trying this. Have a go."

He's had poor results, of course. So's Mourinho, and he'd do just as poorly without Millions behind him too if he applied to Hearts.

It's a one-off chance to make a statement. We have to try and take it.

great post mate...never knew you could be so serious :D

Pretty decent in football terms. Great in terms of what will be coming through our post box. Whats so hard about that to understand ?

You don't think his lack of experience of Scottish football is a question mark in any way shape or form ?

So you only want someone with Scottish football experience ? What exactly is so hard to manage in Scottish football that a good manager wouldnt work out quickly.

Ibrahim Tall

Just remembered, wasn't Shteve bigging up Kitchen and Bjorn last January while he was Derby manager?

Name doesn't fit in a song, get him TF!

Don't know why but when I read this post I instantly started singing his name in the "Lee wallace has a gun" song. Not heard that one in a while so no clue why it was in my head

He's managed at the highest level in England, Holland and Germany.

Would honestly be incredible if we pulled that off.

Please make this happen to Ann and the board, we will never get a better opportunity to get a guy with his pedigree and experience.

The whole club would get a huge lift and the exposure in the UK football market, will not go amiss, his contacts in football may pull in a few gems, while working on bringing through the guys from the academy to sell on which was always the plan but has sadly not happened for whatever reasons.

Bungalow Bill

Please make this happen to Ann and the board, we will never get a better opportunity to get a guy with his pedigree and experience.

The whole club would get a huge lift and the exposure in the UK football market, will not go amiss, his contacts in football may pull in a few gems, while working on bringing through the guys from the academy to sell on which was always the plan but has sadly not happened for whatever reasons.

And if it doesn't work out some will still blame Levein!

And if it doesn't work out some will still blame Levein!

Well it is leveins responsibility, if it fails then its leveins fault. If the next appointment does well then levein takes credit.

That's generally how it works.

Bungalow Bill

Well it is leveins responsibility, if it fails then its leveins fault. If the next appointment does well then levein takes credit.

Aye ok. Bash on.

With most people at most other clubs, yes it is. Not with Hearts supporters and Levein though.

Totally agree with many posters on here that Steve McClaren would be an utterly outstanding appointment.

Beginning to slightly worry though it's been a few days and I've not seen any direct quote from him on the subject...

LarrysRightFoot

I wonder if SAF has had anything to do with McClaren applying/being considered.

Speaks well of Queen Ann from what i remember. His ex assistant. I would assume we may have sounded him out and McClaren may also have asked him about us.

I know this means bigger all but it was a thought I had.

I wonder if SAF has had anything to do with McClaren applying/being considered.

Speaks well of Queen Ann from what i remember. His ex assistant. I would assume we may have sounded him out and McClaren may also have asked him about us.

I know this means bigger all but it was a thought I had.

He was also at Tynecastle for Dave Mackay's funeral.

Does McLaren have a burning desire to still be.a winner or is becoming a damp squib

Still Sergio for me

PaulHartley10

Steve McClaren would be an absolute no brainer if he was an option. The amount of experience he would bring from the highest level would be fantastic.

Tactical knowledge, top level training sessions, implementing better conditioning, contacts from down south and Europe and not to mention some input in the academy.

It could easily go t!ts up but well worth the risk.

Would instantly be our highest profile ever appointment. Has the contacts, knowledge and experience way above anyone else that we've ever appointed and is widely respected by some of the top names in the game.

Those giving it the wolly with the brolly chat I can only assume have lost sight of Scottish football's place in modern football's eco system.

Archived