Steve McClaren

Hendricks

Boyces beard

Agree.  I thought I was the only one on here feeling totally underwhelmed at the prospect.

you cant be for real, this place has gone ( . )( . ) up.  Steve McClaren would be an outstanding appointment.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Escobar PHM

No I really don't. The guy has assisted Alex Ferguson, managed England and several clubs abroad. I really don't think preparing a team to play Patrick Thistle away will worry him.

Yeh he probably thinks they are called Patrick Thistle as well

Correct.  Can't be much easier for him tbh.  He will get punted with a golden handshake after being spunked on at the WC.  Rodgers taking Celtic into Europe is far greater a challenge. 

Um, ok. You obviously failed to notice what the England job does to people or how the papers turn on the guy in charge when the finals of a tournament come around!

CL with Celtic is a challenge for Rodgers because he's not all that good. He scraped through vs Rosenburg with a massive budget by comparison. His recruitment has been so bad that he's currently playing one of his best midfielders at centre back and his winger up front. These are decisions he made that could see them out of Europe before they've started.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Id give my left testicle to see someone of McClaren's stature manage HMFC. It would be nothing short of a magnificent coup.

My lingering doubt however concerns how we will fund this? In light of the not insignificant financial outlay incurred by the new stand, if his wage demands mean we have a tiny budget for new signings then I'm not sure its a practical appointment. Our squad is threadbare to say the least and after the Romanov debacle I don't wanna see us spend outwith our means ever again...If however, by some divine miracle he sets his wage demands as low as we can afford then bring it on!!

Your missing the point completely. He's got a great CV. I imagine it'll be the best CV ever to land of the desk.

1. He isn't a motivator, he's a tactician and we sorely need a motivator.

2. He hasn't managed in Scotland. That is a hurdle that many have fallen at. It shite but it needs a certain type to succeed. Does he strike anyone as the type ?

3. His last 3 or 4 jobs have been abject failures

4. No one in the top 2 leagues in England will touch him.

Just some of the question marks against him. He isn't neccesarily the answer just because his CV has some wee gold stars on it.

1)He motivated Middlesboro all the way to two Europa League finals and Twente to the League.

2) He had no experience in Holland either.

3 He was good at Derby the first time around

4) That's guesswork, even so maybe our standards are a little lower.  No clubs out the top two leagues would have touch McInness when he was punted at Bristol City or Lennon at Bolton. 

There's absolutely nothing to say he wouldn't be a success up here - the exact opposite of gambling with Cathro where there was nothing to suggest he would be a success. 

Lucille's Thirsty

Why would that be? He's a very talented manager.

Maybe Arsenal after Wenger, but he won nothing at Liverpool in 3 years first manager to do so in Liverpool history.

Yeh he probably thinks they are called Patrick Thistle as well

Probably. Still waiting for a name..

Um, ok. You obviously failed to notice what the England job does to people or how the papers turn on the guy in charge when the finals of a tournament come around!

CL with Celtic is a challenge for Rodgers because he's not all that good. He scraped through vs Rosenburg with a massive budget by comparison. His recruitment has been so bad that he's currently playing one of his best midfielders at centre back and his winger up front.

He will get 1 tournament and then hounded out.  Right now lifes a doddle for young Gareth.

There's nothing to suggest Rodgers isn't all that good!  Look at the job he done with Swansea also. 

Unknown user

Was it McClaren that took sammon to Derby?

No, Sammon was already there. McClaren played him from the start once. He subbed him at half time then, as far as I can see, never started him again and eventually sent him out on loan then got rid.

He will get 1 tournament and then hounded out.  Right now lifes a doddle for young Gareth.

There's nothing to suggest Rodgers isn't all that good!  Look at the job he done with Swansea also. 

Just going by Celtic in Europe so far.

Id give my left testicle to see someone of McClaren's stature manage HMFC. It would be nothing short of a magnificent coup.

Will perhaps make our average players good again.

My lingering doubt however concerns how we will fund this? In light of the not insignificant financial outlay incurred by the new stand, if his wage demands mean we have a tiny budget for new signings then I'm not sure its a practical appointment. Our squad is threadbare to say the least and after the Romanov debacle I don't wanna see us spend outwith our means ever again...If however, by some divine miracle he sets his wage demands as low as we can afford then bring it on!!

Auld Reekin'

Bong and a hooker.

He might be a Rolex, but I'd prefer the Tag Heuer that is Sergio  :pleasingao:

Fag and a Heuer.

This is possibly the most experienced manager that could have applied for the job and some folk are still trying to fund faults. Keep up the good work KB

scott herbertson

Your missing the point completely. He's got a great CV. I imagine it'll be the best CV ever to land of the desk.1. He isn't a motivator, he's a tactician and we sorely need a motivator.2. He hasn't managed in Scotland. That is a hurdle that many have fallen at. It shite but it needs a certain type to succeed. Does he strike anyone as the type ?3. His last 3 or 4 jobs have been abject failures4. No one in the top 2 leagues in England will touch him.Just some of the question marks against him. He isn't neccesarily the answer just because his CV has some wee gold stars on it.

I agree with you too, though I accept that 'on paper' he would be a great coup. I also expect while he might be interested his interest would evaporate when he found how much he was to be paid and what his budget would be

I can't believe McClaren is only 56. He looks older than Ann Budge...no offence Ann. :)

:D...i thought he was at least late sixties...

If we go down the route of avoiding anyone who's been sacked, that's gonna be one seriously short shortlist! Seriously, I question some of the opinions on here, they can't be serious. :lol:

Cathro hadn't been sacked before he came to Hearts [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D...i thought he was at least late sixties...

The England job puts years on you! Bobby Robson when appointed England manager....

img_1914.jpg

Bobby Robson at the end of his England tenure

england-manager-bobby-robson-speaking-du

Unknown user

The England job puts years on you! Bobby Robson when appointed England manager....

img_1914.jpg

Bobby Robson at the end of his England tenure

england-manager-bobby-robson-speaking-du

To be fair, that's the effects of the England job AND eight years of aging as a middle aged man

This is possibly the most experienced manager that could have applied for the job and some folk are still trying to fund faults. Keep up the good work KB

i think some folk are just being realistic and looking at his record, he maybe getting jobs due to his CV being impressive in terms of clubs and people worked with, but what success has he had in all of those jobs a first team manager.

If this is not something being questioned at boardroom level then they would not be doing their job.

To be fair, that's the effects of the England job AND eight years of aging as a middle aged man

Gareth Southgate today...

5297313-Senior-Man-With-Long-Beard-Stock

Hackney Hearts

If we go down the route of avoiding anyone who's been sacked, that's gonna be one seriously short shortlist! 

Managers get sacked for all sorts of reasons - frequently when results are actually pretty reasonable.

Burley won his first 8 games and was top of the league....

Why would that be?  He's a very talented manager. 

Is he though, Swansea was a success story, but apart from a really good season at Liverpool which still didn't culminate in any silverware, which is what a club of that stature bases success on, its all very mediocre. Less than a 50% win ratio not including Celtic, because lets be honest a monkey could win the tile and the majority of games with Celtic.

Unknown user

i think some folk are just being realistic and looking at his record, he maybe getting jobs due to his CV being impressive in terms of clubs and people worked with, but what success has he had in all of those jobs a first team manager.

If this is not something being questioned at boardroom level then they would not be doing their job.

Uefa cup final, champions league group stage qualification, second in the eredivisie, first in the eredivisie.

Surely how you do in a job is relative to the size of the job? Or does a 65% record with St Johnstone or someone trump a 50% record with England?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Robson and Rainieri both spoke to us. McLaren will speak to us.

And it will all end in the same result. All very good PR for everyone.

Freedman is the most realistic name I have seen yet that is unlikely to cause drama.

AlphonseCapone

It would be a yes from me for the following reasons;

- won a league that had been dominated by the top 3 teams for years (we all want that here).

- his name would instantly get the respect of all the players. They'd play for him.

- his name would bring in some more fans.

- he must have some excellent contacts.

- his CV compared to the likes of Houston, Pressley, Hartley etc is night and day.

- gets on with Levein .

Maroon Sailor

Exactly

The man has been dining out on being Fergie's bum chum and Boro's League cup win over 13 years ago when he was backed heavily by Steve Gibson.

His football is rank rotten and it will only be a matter of time before the Gorgie boo boys get fed up with the shit style of football and narrow 1-0 defeats that we are already fed up with.

Then it will be Tufty Heid GTF

Cruyff Turn

Agree. I thought I was the only one on here feeling totally underwhelmed at the prospect.

Personally I wouldn't be underwhelmed if Schteve were to get the gig, I'd be delighted, he's a coup however I don't think he's the right man for the job because he's not got the players.

He's always had good players, even at Wolfsburg, Newcastle and Derby he had good players, much better than what we have. He was playing against much more tactical sides, not the kick and press, fighting for knockdowns and 2nd balls pish we play here.

That Boro and Twente team were built on a great spine and massively experienced GK's and CB's. Both very defensive teams, maybe a bit how Leicester played to win the League. Neither conceded many goals.

We've got Jack Hamilton and a midfield who are none existent with very little pace or creativity. He'd struggle to do anything with that.

I don't think he has a great track record of promoting youth either.

I just don't think it would work for him here, not enough resources to really do anything.

Need someone who can get the best out of a limited bunch and promote youth players.

Can't see it As soon as we talk wages and budget talks will break down , amicably.

Would be some coup for us but can't see it happening. Think Dougue Freedman could bs the one if he interviews well .

He might be a Rolex, but I'd prefer the Tag Heuer that is Sergio :pleasingao:

Rolex are notoriously poor time keepers ;) marketing genius mostly. Give me an Audemars or Hublot every time

Celtic fans and the media weren't over joyed when they announced Rodgers as a manager. When they lost to the red imps many questioned the appointment further. He'd been deemed a failure in England for Liverpool collapsing in that infamous manner a few seasons before. His dealings in the transfer market were also discussed and his lack of winning trophies. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Celtic are delighted with him now and he can literally do no wrong in the eyes of the media. McLaren has had a few ropey years at clubs lacking in any form of stability. When he is given time and stability he has performed really well. His knowledge and contacts would help every department of the club. He'd teach Ann a few things about football management and he'd develop Leveins knowledge as well. We should be jumping at this man. Exactly what we need.

Gareth Southgate is having the easy life? Well it is the qualifiers. They always skoosh the qualifiers.

Apart from when they have Steve McClaren in charge....

Rolex are notoriously poor time keepers ;) marketing genius mostly. Give me an Audemars or Hublot every time

If youre buying those kind of watches, you really need to up your FoH subs :-)

While I would take Sergio back, his tenure is completely overestimated by one result. Yes, Sergio had to work through undoubtedly difficult circumstances with players not being paid etc but if we had say lost the semi final to Celtic or worse the final to Hibs, would there be such a clamour for him to come back? I doubt it.

Sergio, will always be a legend but I think it's blinkering some fans judgement on the calibre of applicants we have had from what we know about Coyle & Freedman are definitely interested and there's certainly no smoke without fire in relation to McClaren and Sergio's record since leaving us been poor at best.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Why would that be?  He's a very talented manager.

The serious teams in England don't care what happens domestically up here. Unless players or managers do it in the Champions League/internationally, they're not plucking them straight from the Scottish Premiership.

No, winning the eredivisie with an unfashionable team makes him a good manager

Some stats 

Owen Coyle

LXOo9MP.png

Dougie Freedman

duW6lfO.png

Sir Paul Hartley

RUzuIsn.png

Elvis

Tkop7xm.png

Steve McLaren 

ruBonOe.png

Just stats, obviously no context but it's something to mull over. 

Personally if I was in charge and someone with McLaren's pedigree knocked on the door, he'd be immediately stuck on the top of the short-list. 

For comparison, our managers from present back to 1980.

ntRGs2B.png

Not sure why it's left out Ivanauskas:

vn6SMYZ.png

doctor jambo

For some reason in my head I have dougie freedman as being black and playing for Wolves

Well, apart from AZ Alkmaar who won it the year before

:facepalm:

How the feck did I miss that?

For some reason in my head I have dougie freedman as being black and playing for Wolves

Don Goodman?

eddie fenwick

your thinking of bob hazel

Benny Factor

As much as I'd love McLaren to get the job, I just don't see him taking it.

He'd have money to spend, but it would be a fraction of what he's been used to at previous clubs.

For comparison, our managers from present back to 1980.

ntRGs2B.png

Not sure why it's left out Ivanauskas:

More glaring than Valdas's omission, is the trophies that have been stripped from Neilson, Sergio and Jefferies :D

SwindonJambo

More glaring than Valdas's omission, is the trophies that have been stripped from Neilson, Sergio and Jefferies :D

Gary Locke ?

Archived