Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

Remember McInnes could be off very shortly, that would be a huge gamble for Nicholson

Would Aberdeen be prepared to gamble 400k on Nicholson

Not a feckin chance.

A nominal fee 50k perhaps.

He would get a much harder time from the Dons fans than he does with us. Especially if they paid money for him.

I think the USA or Australia is his best bet at least make some cash.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
upgotheheads

I always apply the 'would I be worried if he was playing against us test' when players want to leave.

In Walkers case I would be, in Nicholson's I wouldn't.

Not a feckin chance.

A nominal fee 50k perhaps.

He would get a much harder time from the Dons fans than he does with us. Especially if they paid money for him.

I think the USA or Australia is his best bet at least make some cash.

No way should we take 50k for him from a club in our league would rather he went abroad for free. If Dundee Utd had to pay 200k at a tribunal for Telfer we should get the same. We should be looking for 250-300k for him from Aberdeen or Rangers

He said after the Preston friendly in 2015 that if he wanted to play in England that he would need to become stronger. Now maybe he has been trying, which has caused his injuries, but I don't really see any change in him in 2 years. Suggests to me he is looking at a move within Scotland.

I also can't stand the attitude on here where a Hearts player is shit. They are professional footballers which makes them better players than the fans that are judging them. Yes, there are levels within the professional game, but to call Nicholson a bad player means some are forgetting some past players rather easily.

Hearts fans will also need to get used to this situation pretty quickly. Every club is a selling club in Scotland. Players treat it as a job and want to move up levels so they will always want a move, or more money to stay. Hearts have a budget and I would prefer we live within our means and learn from our past, unlike Sevco.

Nookie Bear

I also can't stand the attitude on here where a Hearts player is shit. They are professional footballers which makes them better players than the fans that are judging them. Yes, there are levels within the professional game, but to call Nicholson a bad player means some are forgetting some past players rather easily.

This. Some of the comments are ridiculous. Sam is a very talented player but who still needs to improve in certain areas. I'm not sure being lightweight is that big a deal in his position tbh

alicante jambo

This. Some of the comments are ridiculous. Sam is a very talented player but who still needs to improve in certain areas. I'm not sure being lightweight is that big a deal in his position tbh

nookie im sorry but i disagree.That along with his confidence.A small nudge and hes off the ball.Btw i like nicholson would love him to bulk up and become better same as patterson did.Hes no away yet maybe have a change of heart during the summer but does cathro want him?

bajthejambo

I think there's every chance he could end up at MK Dons with Neilson. I have little knowledge of their squad, but I'm sure it would be an attractive move for him nonetheless.

I really can't see Aberdeen taking him as a replacement for McGinn and their fans being content with that. As it is unlikely they would give him an adequate wage to sit on the bench.

Rangers might, but then that's the sort of signings that will see them staring in to the financial abyss again. Paying over the odds for bench warmers on top of their "marquee" signings.

132goals1958

Absolutely. I am at a loss to understand why some are so happy to see him leave.

indianajones

Absolutely. I am at a loss to understand why some are so happy to see him leave.

He's just not very good. Talented yeah but very rarely implements it into a game. So inconsistent.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

He's just not very good. Talented yeah but very rarely implements it into a game. So inconsistent.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Im not sure why people dont see this to be honest.

He played maybe 3 or 4 decent games last season. He isn't producing for us on anything like a consistent basis.

He's another massive disappointment.

Billybuffjaw

Agreed.

Standard must be really low in that league.

On another thread there are people calling a Hearts legend who got us a ?9 million transfer fee a snake.

If Craig Gordon is a snake what does that make Nicholson ?

Where's that poster with snake giffs ?

I don't know anyone Hearts fan or not who thinks the Gordon deal wasn't the best piece of business we ever did as a club.

Nicholson was garbage like most of them, cheerio San

He's still younger than Stockton. Plenty time to develop.

Was offered a contract and ?10k a week in the States.

No chance. Highly doubt it was anywhere near that!

He said after the Preston friendly in 2015 that if he wanted to play in England that he would need to become stronger. Now maybe he has been trying, which has caused his injuries, but I don't really see any change in him in 2 years. Suggests to me he is looking at a move within Scotland.

Hearts fans will also need to get used to this situation pretty quickly. Every club is a selling club in Scotland. Players treat it as a job and want to move up levels so they will always want a move, or more money to stay. Hearts have a budget and I would prefer we live within our means and learn from our past, unlike Sevco.

Yeah it does appear that Southampton scout Celtic for players and the Welsh clubs use the rest of Scotland as source...

Even at that it's still a good deal for him.

Agreed. Hasn't nearly shown enough consistency to justify a decent wage.

tolcross lad

I remember when he come on as a young sub v Wolfsburg he made quite an impact and looked a real prospect.He did well in the Championship but his development has since stalled.I have never understood why some fans turn on our own with such venom.I agree he is talented but it is all relative.At the moment he is a very average SPFL player but he still has a chance of improvement.His decision making is often poor and needs to improve.I think being lightweight is a problem for him in his position.he is too easily brushed off the ball.He has decent pace but its not exceptional and this and a lack of strength leads to him continually cutting inside or across field and other teams have got him worked out.I have no doubt that Sam will have been working on his strength but maybe he has reached a limit .However he is technically gifted and better decision making,a wee bit more strength and a return of confidence could see him kick on.I hope he stays.but this seems unlikely.

JamboJoker98

I think his motivation, desire and progression has stalled. Undoubtedly could still do a turn and probably become more consistent, but he wont realise this at Hearts

I remember when he come on as a young sub v Wolfsburg he made quite an impact and looked a real prospect.He did well in the Championship but his development has since stalled.I have never understood why some fans turn on our own with such venom.I agree he is talented but it is all relative.At the moment he is a very average SPFL player but he still has a chance of improvement.His decision making is often poor and needs to improve.I think being lightweight is a problem for him in his position.he is too easily brushed off the ball.He has decent pace but its not exceptional and this and a lack of strength leads to him continually cutting inside or across field and other teams have got him worked out.I have no doubt that Sam will have been working on his strength but maybe he has reached a limit .However he is technically gifted and better decision making,a wee bit more strength and a return of confidence could see him kick on.I hope he stays.but this seems unlikely.

Fans have turned on him because he no longer wants to play for us. Same goes for Walker. Also both don't seem to care if Hearts lose out.

Gigolo-Aunt

Has not kicked on as a player like I thought he would.   He is too predictable and canny defenders have worked him out.    Unfortunately he is not good enough to get by on being predictable.

Wold not grudge him a move to America as the figures being talked about are good money but hope he stays in Britain so we get the ?????

I think his motivation, desire and progression has stalled. Undoubtedly could still do a turn and probably become more consistent, but he wont realise this at Hearts

Probably, see Soapy at United.

indianajones

Probably, see Soapy at United.

This has made me think about how Soapy will be developing alongside Berra next year again.

We could be on to a good one with him! 

No chance. Highly doubt it was anywhere near that!

Contract was for three years.

This has made me think about how Soapy will be developing alongside Berra next year again.

We could be on to a good one with him!

Definitely. Think Webster Elvis.

maroonnicky63

Im not sure why people dont see this to be honest.

ok then let me explain , he is 22 and still developing,some on here have tried to compare him with Hayes of Aberdeen who is 29 FFS. Just look at Armstrong of Celtic because last season everyone wanted him out because according to them he was shite. We are in far to much of a hurry to write players of just read what some on here have been saying about young Smith who IMO is a very good prospect, Walker is another one I rate very highly he will come good with his consistence but unfortunately it wont be at Hearts if we are to believe what is going on.

As always there are exceptions of course , if Walker and Nicholson go ( and I hope they both sign ) I think they will be a huge miss as I firmly believe we have not seen the best of them yet and as the old saying goes be careful what you wish for

maroonnicky63

because they just don't get how it works they want young players to develop now, some will come on here and say but he is 22. Still young for a winger

The players that mark nicholson are a bit scared that he might mark them when he gobs on them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

because they just don't get how it works they want young players to develop now, some will come on here and say but he is 22. Still young for a winger

Same guys that make every excuse under the sun for a late developer from the conference down South, makes little sense. Anyway, off to watch the match :)

tolcross lad

Fans have turned on him because he no longer wants to play for us. Same goes for Walker. Also both don't seem to care if Hearts lose out.

Like the Walker situation I dont believe for one minute its as simple as that.He is a Penicuik lad , who has come through our Academy, a Hearts fan who is struggling for probably a range of reasons to make it worthwhile for Hearts to make him an offer that is acceptable to him.Sam has to make his way in the world.Football is his chosen career and he has to do the best he can which include earnings.As I said I just cannot understand the venom.Each to their own I suppose but it can have poisonous effect that translates to other players of what is meant to be a football CLUB.

He's had bad luck with injures at times he was just starting to establish himself....up to November last season he was in very good form then came the injury.

People forget too soon but a fit Sam would be an asset to our team.

If he goes to Aberdeen though then I have to ask questions of him and his ambition.

The players that mark nicholson are a bit scared that he might mark them when he gobs on them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'd like to see how you would react to the treatment that he gets on the park.....gets kicked up n down the park as soon as he gets the ball and because he's a lightweight (according to all you superhuman specimens) it must take its toll on his psyche so of course he's going to lash out....admittedly spitting is a bit much but give the lad a break ffs......

Yep, a huge opportunity lost through poor management.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Like the Walker situation I dont believe for one minute its as simple as that.He is a Penicuik lad , who has come through our Academy, a Hearts fan who is struggling for probably a range of reasons to make it worthwhile for Hearts to make him an offer that is acceptable to him.Sam has to make his way in the world.Football is his chosen career and he has to do the best he can which include earnings.As I said I just cannot understand the venom.Each to their own I suppose but it can have poisonous effect that translates to other players of what is meant to be a football CLUB.

No poisonous venom from me. I just think if players don't want to play for us they should be moved on.

Can you quote the posts you think are poisonous as opposed to just being critical ?

tolcross lad

No poisonous venom from me. I just think if players don't want to play for us they should be moved on.

Can you quote the posts you think are poisonous as opposed to just being critical ?

I could but I am not going to quote the posts but I would suggest you go back through the posts yourself.I am not the only poster who has raised the issue,Bear in mind we have a local young Hearts player and fan who has been through our Academy system.Bear in mind that no one appears to know what he has been offered by Hearts.It could have been a green and white lollipop for all we know.Bear in mind that he has a career to think about and that in the opinion of many myself included his development has stalled.Bear in mind we are a CLUB and he has family members and friends who will view these posts

Different posters have used the terms "garbage" "waste of space" "shite""absolute shite""single minded wee ned"Theres a lot of other stuff there.Someone even inferred that he was a drinker without any evidence.Many posters are reasonably critical of Sam without that kind nonsense  

Of course its an internet football forum etc.

No venom from me, just another player that hasn't shown enough on a consistent basis for me to care much if he stays.

He simply isn't effective against mediocre teams on a consistent basis. He's another Perry Kitchen with his 'calm down arm gestures' to the crowd, time and time again - so frustrating.

I'd like to think we can do better, with a transfer probably suiting his career progression too.

Watt-Zeefuik

I may be deranged but I think he actually might be a decent answer at wingback.  When Robbie had him play in front of Paterson at Celtic Park in the first year up, after Callum picked up a yellow, Deila threw everything and everyone down the left side to try to either overwhelm him or goad him into a second yellow.  Neilson had Sam sit back and help cover, and together the two of them put up one of the most heroic defensive performances of that season as we muddled out a draw. In a second half when the ball spent probably the majority of the half in the left side of our half, the two of them just calmly shut everything down and cleared it time after time.

He'll still need to work on his strength, but I think he'd be a sight better than most of our other experiments at fullback or wingback. (Not saying much I realize.)

Of course it's an issue being lightweight when he is so easily brushed off the ball. He has not improved that aspect of his game in the last two seasons and that is as much a club failing as it is his.

I may be deranged but I think he actually might be a decent answer at wingback.  When Robbie had him play in front of Paterson at Celtic Park in the first year up, after Callum picked up a yellow, Deila threw everything and everyone down the left side to try to either overwhelm him or goad him into a second yellow.  Neilson had Sam sit back and help cover, and together the two of them put up one of the most heroic defensive performances of that season as we muddled out a draw. In a second half when the ball spent probably the majority of the half in the left side of our half, the two of them just calmly shut everything down and cleared it time after time.

He'll still need to work on his strength, but I think he'd be a sight better than most of our other experiments at fullback or wingback. (Not saying much I realize.)

He's weak in the tackle, poor upper body strength and doesn't work hard. I don't think he'd make a good wing back.

kingantti1874

Why do players not look at players like Ronaldo Ronaldo and go, if I work on my game like that I could turn myself from a 2k per week SPL player to a 15-20k per week player.. I don't get it.. How can you still be as weak, and still have the weak points in your game that you had at 17.. Lazy.

Never Let Them Forget

Why do players not look at players like Ronaldo Ronaldo and go, if I work on my game like that I could turn myself from a 2k per week SPL player to a 15-20k per week player.. I don't get it.. How can you still be as weak, and still have the weak points in your game that you had at 17.. Lazy.

Excellent post. It's all about dedication and trying to be the best you possibly can, unfortunately Nicholson doesn't have that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He seems to be to happy go lucky to make the most of the ability. Too many of them seem to want to play with their mates than improve

Holyrood_Hearts

Totally agree. The problem with Sam is he thinks he's made it.

There has to be a desire from him to improve his weak points in his game because he does have potential.

Captain Canada

Look at Paterson at 17 and compare it to now. He's the only young player I can think of in recent years who's made the effort to improve his strength and fitness levels.

Nicholson has a lot of talent but will always struggle with the physical side of the game in British football. It's not fair to just single him out though, the same could be said for Billy King and a few others in recent years.

The lack of strength and fitness in the team in the second part of last season was a big factor in so many defeats.

Genetics is a huge part. Paterson genetically pre-disposed to gain muscle easily, Nicholson not so much.

Look at England players yesterday. Fair enough they are in the gym, but they are selected in the first place, because they have the genetics that allow them to gain muscle easily.

Look at Paterson at 17 and compare it to now. He's the only young player I can think of in recent years who's made the effort to improve his strength and fitness levels.

Nicholson has a lot of talent but will always struggle with the physical side of the game in British football. It's not fair to just single him out though, the same could be said for Billy King and a few others in recent years.

The lack of strength and fitness in the team in the second part of last season was a big factor in so many defeats.

Archived