Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

Clerry Jambo

Not surprised Sammy wants to leave with all the rubbish being spouted about him. Ok so he's not the finished article at all but he's a player we should be keeping and improving. Will be a loss in my opinion

I'm not really a Nicholson fan, but it's a fair point about helping him improve. Not seeing much evidence of our "school of coaches" improving many players at this point.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nookie Bear

I'm not really a Nicholson fan, but it's a fair point about helping him improve. Not seeing much evidence of our "school of coaches" improving many players at this point.

Exactly. When he broke into the team he was as exciting a talent I have seen for years, but he has stagnated like everyone else.

And before anyone mentions Paterson, his defensive talents are suspect to say the least.

We_are_the_Hearts

Exactly. When he broke into the team he was as exciting a talent I have seen for years, but he has stagnated like everyone else.

And before anyone mentions Paterson, his defensive talents are suspect to say the least.

Is he helping himself though? I can't see any signs of him improving his upper body strength. it was clear after the Championship and against Everton this was the main area he needed to address. He has struggled against fitter and quicker full backs. 

Is he helping himself though? I can't see any signs of him improving his upper body strength. it was clear after the Championship and against Everton this was the main area he needed to address. He has struggled against fitter and quicker full backs.

It's clear he's not helping himself or taking his career seriously.

His lack of strength is ridiculous. This will evidently have been something highlighted to him. If he's chosen to do nothing to improve it then it's his call.

He's no loss to Hearts whatsoever

I have asked this question on other threads and the people constantly proffesing they know the salaries of our players ignore it, how do you know the salary of Heart of Midlothian employees? I read that this player earns this amount and that player earns less than this one, what Hearts players discuss theirs and others wages and their contract offers with punters?

maroonnicky63

Shite

100% spot on but you wont have it, you know nothing all you want to do is come on here and slate the players, you are a terrible supporter I have never seen anything positive from you at all

My immediate reaction was - "You wee shite!"

Would not be in the least bit surprised to see him back at another Scottish club within a year or so. Of course this would save that club paying a fee.

We_are_the_Hearts

He's absolutely shite.

Bollocks. He is not great and hasn't progressed but to say he he is shite is absolutely shite.

100% spot on but you wont have it, you know nothing all you want to do is come on here and slate the players, you are a terrible supporter I have never seen anything positive from you at all

Paterson wanted to move on. There was no way that he would've accepted terms that we could afford.

Are you suggesting that we look to offer terms to players that exceed our financial capability?

I think we've been down that road before

hmfc_liam06

Wouldn't have thought he'd be looking anywhere near 4K in fact he'd probably have signed in a heartbeat for half that!

And we'd still be paying too much

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I have asked this question on other threads and the people constantly proffesing they know the salaries of our players ignore it, how do you know the salary of Heart of Midlothian employees? I read that this player earns this amount and that player earns less than this one, what Hearts players discuss theirs and others wages and their contract offers with punters?

They say there are hearts employees who have access to all the players' salaries and tell anyone that will listen info that would get them sacked.

Made up shite, in other words.

I think some are a bit confused by our youth policy.

In order for us to make money on them they have to actually be wanted by another club who have the money to spend.

At one time all these players have been tied to a long term contract. At no point during that time did the club get offered money they can't refuse. Even Paterson for all that has been said about him hasn't had a club come in and offer 3 million to take him south. Gauld played less than 50 games for Dundee Utd and was off for 3 million. GMS, Armstrong, Robertson etc all went for good money. Falkirk have been scooping up close to a million in recent seasons for youth players who show real talent. Hamilton have done ok as well.

Our players haven't had any concrete offers for us to make a decision on.

All the young players we have brought through in the last 5-7 years have failed to really make a big impact elsewhere.

The simple truth is they aren't that good. That is why our academy is going through a massive reform which will take years to fix and make work because it can only go as fast as the kids can grow.

Maybe when the time comes we will have some players that other teams sit up and take notice of.

Nookie Bear

Not disagreeing with that but sometimes players need pushed and motivated to improve.

We can't really afford not to focus attention on his kind of talent and try to benefit from it on the pitch and then the transfer market.

Nookie Bear

Paterson wanted to move on. There was no way that he would've accepted terms that we could afford.

Are you suggesting that we look to offer terms to players that exceed our financial capability?

Depends what we paid the chances who joined in January and whoever comes in this summer.

One of the most frustrating players we've had in quite some time. Always wants an extra couple of touches on the ball which invariably means he loses possession.

I'm another who's more upset on missing out on the cash than the player.

He won't be missed at all by me.

Spot on. No upper body strength whatsoever. Surprised that the coaching staff have not worked harder with him on this aspect and other players at the club. It's an obvious weakness at our club.

The days of being labelled a big physical side are long gone.

Nookie Bear

How much do the Nicholson fan club think Hearts should have offered him ?

It's not about fan clubs (or, indeed, folk on here shouting that "he's shite"), it's about squeezing the most we can from the talent available, and it's frustrating when it doesn't work out.

It's not about fan clubs (or, indeed, folk on here shouting that "he's shite"), it's about squeezing the most we can from the talent available, and it's frustrating when it doesn't work out.

How much then ?

A simple enough question.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

How much then ?

A completely pointless question when we have no idea the comparative wages being offered to other players, or indeed our wage budget.

Nookie Bear

How much then ?

I'm talking about getting players to perform on the pitch, by squeezing as much as we can from the talent available, the transfer fees would automatically follow if we did that.

If we are unable to develop an obvious talent like Sam then it does raise questions as to the value of developing youth.

pattythejambo

It's not about fan clubs (or, indeed, folk on here shouting that "he's shite"), it's about squeezing the most we can from the talent available, and it's frustrating when it doesn't work out.

Look how many players Brendan Rogers has had a look at sent them away with things to work on and they have come back and played a big part in his team, talking about going rate for players no one on hear including me know what the going rate is but all the players know, like it or not they are friendly outside their clubs and agents keep them up to date on the going rate.

siegementality

People make it up. The made up stuff gets latched onto and then becomes reality. The more people who post the made up stuff the more is becomes fact. Eventually it leads to someone posting that what player x earns is well known, yes, well known to be made up on here.

In order for us to make money on them they have to actually be wanted by another club who have the money to spend.

At one time all these players have been tied to a long term contract. At no point during that time did the club get offered money they can't refuse. Even Paterson for all that has been said about him hasn't had a club come in and offer 3 million to take him south. Gauld played less than 50 games for Dundee Utd and was off for 3 million. GMS, Armstrong, Robertson etc all went for good money. Falkirk have been scooping up close to a million in recent seasons for youth players who show real talent. Hamilton have done ok as well.

All the young players we have brought through in the last 5-7 years have failed to really make a big impact elsewhere.

The simple truth is they aren't that good. That is why our academy is going through a massive reform which will take years to fix and make work because it can only go as fast as the kids can grow.

Maybe when the time comes we will have some players that other teams sit up and take notice of.

People should take time to read this post as it's spot on!

Bazzas right boot

Yip.

hmfc_liam06

:spoton:

So nobody prepared to say how much THEY would pay Nicholson.

Personally I think he is worth about a grand a week as a squad player maybe more if he starts regularly.

If he's got an offer to triple his wages from some mug he should take it.

pattythejambo

So nobody prepared to say how much THEY would pay Nicholson.

Personally I think he is worth about a grand a week as a squad player maybe more if he starts regularly.

If he's got an offer to triple his wages from some mug he should take it.

Before the wages went through the roof , in my day players got lower basic wage with good appearance / win bonuses. I believe if you go back to that you get them all in it together the problem being the club always chase a blue chip player who commands big bucks causing a bit of resentment throughout the squad, so you end up back to square one.

Tasavallan

With the exception of Craig Gordon, I cannot name any player in the last 20 years that has emerged from the Academy and made an impact in England (David Gray doesn't count).   Maybe only Neilson, himself.

With the exception of Craig Gordon, I cannot name any player in the last 20 years that has emerged from the Academy and made an impact in England (David Gray doesn't count). Maybe only Neilson, himself.

Berra?

maroonnicky63

for the last time ,''HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED ANOTHER CONTRACT BECAUSE HE WAS WILLING TO WAIT FOR A MOVE DOWN SOUTH. Now to your other point no I don't , neither do I agree that some players who have come in and are no better or at times worse than our own players ,way above what Walker, Paterson and your best pal Nicholson are on and when it's contact time they are still not offered anywhere near what they should be on but I am wasting my time with you , and you call me simple JUSUS

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

they are still not offered anywhere near what they should be on

How much should they be on? How do you know how much they earn? Are you his agent?

With the exception of Craig Gordon, I cannot name any player in the last 20 years that has emerged from the Academy and made an impact in England (David Gray doesn't count).   Maybe only Neilson, himself.

When do we consider it to be from the academy? (genuinely dont know when that structure got up and running?)

Gary Naysmith? Paul Ritchie?

socrates82

Not sure if they're all the last 20 years, but Johnston, Naysmith, Berra, Ritchie, Locke and Neilson all made it to the top league down south with varying degrees of success. Webster too?

It's not a lot but you could extend that across our entire history, and see how we compare with other Scottish clubs.

However, the measure of our youth system should on a variety of things - players who play for our first team and do well, international caps, and players who go on to have solid careers in Scotland, as well as players who get big moves south or wherever.

If you take those measures we do as well if not better than our rivals.

One thing we used to do well is pick up good young players from other Scottish teams and turn them into Scotland players - Weir, McCann, Pressley, McPherson, etc. That's much harder these days as players like them today have more lucrative options elsewhere. That's why we now sign more foreign players and have to focus on a more structured youth academy.

maroonnicky63

How much should they be on? How do you know how much they earn? Are you his agent?

You mean you don't think fans on here know what the players are on , how dumb are you ?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

You mean you don't think fans on here know what the players are on , how dumb are you ?

Smart enough not to believe your lies.

siegementality

You were asked how you knew what some players earn. Answer the question.

for the last time ,''HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED ANOTHER CONTRACT BECAUSE HE WAS WILLING TO WAIT FOR A MOVE DOWN SOUTH. Now to your other point no I don't , neither do I agree that some players who have come in and are no better or at times worse than our own players ,way above what Walker, Paterson and your best pal Nicholson are on and when it's contact time they are still not offered anywhere near what they should be on but I am wasting my time with you , and you call me simple JUSUS

You're a very angry person.

Has Paterson made you privy to an offer he's been made by the club? You appear rather certain.

Calm down dear. You'll do yourself a mischief

So if he was willing to sign another contract why did he refuse to sit down and negotiate further after rejecting the first offer.

After all it was you who said a page or so back that Hearts tried to get round the table again but CP refused.

If that is actually the case then that's a player looking for a move.

So if he was willing to sign another contract why did he refuse to sit down and negotiate further after rejecting the first offer.

After all it was you who said a page or so back that Hearts tried to get round the table again but CP refused.

You might have already noticed that this particular poster isn't necessarily predisposed to reasoned and rational debate

Craig Gordons Gloves

Stood for ages at MSP Airport arrivals wearing my Hearts top and a big sign saying "WELCOME SAM, I GREW UP IN PENICUIK TOO - CAN I BE YOUR NEW BEST PAL?".  

When he finally got through customs he walked up to me and said "I'm signing for this mob because Hearts offered me peanuts and Jamie Walker is in the same boat and it's all the fault of Levein"

Seriously though, if he's here this week he'll be disappointed.  It's in the 50s with grey skies.  United are a decent community focused club with average gates of 20,000 so far this season i think he'd be a decent squad player but his failings at Hearts  - mainly body strength would be shown up here, some of the players are beasts. 

You might have already noticed that this particular poster isn't necessarily predisposed to reasoned and rational debate

I had noticed mate, yes.

That's twice he's ignored me on this very subject.

One of the most frustrating players we've had in quite some time. Always wants an extra couple of touches on the ball which invariably means he loses possession.

I'm another who's more upset on missing out on the cash than the player.

He won't be missed at all by me.

Spot on. No upper body strength whatsoever. Surprised that the coaching staff have not worked harder with him on this aspect and other players at the club. It's an obvious weakness at our club.

The days of being labelled a big physical side are long gone.

socrates82

I kind of feel with Nicolson that if David Templeton couldn't make it, Nicolson might struggle to play at a higher level than us. A lot of similarities between the two - could be brilliant and frustrating in equal measure. And Templeton was probably the better player for Hearts out of the two.

maroonnicky63

go on my son you need some support on here with all the shite you spout , mines is 100% yours is just bile and hatred

go on my son you need some support on here with all the shite you spout , mines is 100% yours is just bile and hatred

Bile and hatred eh.

Aye ok pal

maroonnicky63

ok once again and for the last time and you have already stated the reason above in your second line but I will play along with it , he was insulted with the first offer and spat the dummy out and who could blame him he was at that time our best player and we now have our best player Walker now refusing to sign a contract , do you honestly not think there is an issue here ??have a word with Spencer his information is first class

RustyRightPeg

From what I've heard, Contracts have been offered to CP, JW & SN, and they were very approachable on the subject, it is our DOF who has been stubborn and put unrealistic contracts on the table.

If I'm honest, I don't blame them for wanting to leave.

I've said it before on another thread in that, I feel like we missed the boat on the above three in a selling sense. You can't tell me that after our Championship season, club's down south were looking at Jordan McGhee, add to that were willing to take a punt on him and were totally oblivious to these three among others.

maroonnicky63

Bile and hatred eh.

Aye ok pal

From now on I think you and I should just ignore each other as you know I always support the players because of my background I understand the pressure , I understand form loss and most importantly I understand development and I get angry when people like you have a go at young players who are no where near development even at 20/21/22/23/24 of course there are exceptions, so as I say don't respond to any of my posts and I will do the same to you. cheers

ok once again and for the last time and you have already stated the reason above in your second line but I will play along with it , he was insulted with the first offer and spat the dummy out and who could blame him he was at that time our best player and we now have our best player Walker now refusing to sign a contract , do you honestly not think there is an issue here ??have a word with Spencer his information is first class

Cool. So instead of getting back round the table and telling the club what he thinks he's worth and then try to reach a compromise he just took the huff and stuck 2 fingers up at the club who gave him his break.

That my friend is a player looking to move on. He wants to further his career and good luck to him but I won't be condemning the club for coming in initially with a low ball offer as it's called negotiations. Happens all the time.

Expert on the subject

How much do the Nicholson fan club think Hearts should have offered him ?

20% more than Martin is on

Archived