Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

Watt-Zeefuik

So if I get the sense of JKB right, Nicholson should have signed a new contract so we'd have gotten compensation when we sold him on, but the sell-on clause is useless because he's not worth anything and will never be sold on.

It's official -- this last season drove us all over the hill.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maroonnicky63

The USA is where players go to die. It'll be overtaken by Chinese football soon enough.

The USA is where players go to die. It'll be overtaken by Chinese football soon enough.

oh my god are you for real , look at the quality of player in the MLS now i wont embarrass you and name them but have a look the days of players going out there to die is over, your other comment about china is not far away the way they are plowing money into it to be fare.You have to put money in to get anything out that's why hearts signings are not the quality that they should be and why we are struggling , next season will be interesting

Watt-Zeefuik

I'll take second place to no one in slating MLS, but they have recently managed to start being more than geriatric stars from Europe getting a final paycheck surrounded by former college players on a McDonald's salary.

munich_veteran

So if I get the sense of JKB right, Nicholson should have signed a new contract so we'd have gotten compensation when we sold him on, but the sell-on clause is useless because he's not worth anything and will never be sold on.

Thanks...you just saved me reading through 13 pages of this thread. 

From one Ugly American to another, how do you think he'll do in MLS? I just posted a thread on this if you'd rather answer over there, so that the debate about the sell-on clause can continue to rage here

Their coming to take us away, ha ha, their coming to take is away , he he, ha ha...... :)

What a prick.

The club won't ever see a penny for him.

He can ram it.

Is this serious? Genuinely confused.

Nookie Bear

What a prick.

The club won't ever see a penny for him.

He can ram it.

What do you expect him to do, exactly?

he isn't getting a game, clearly the fans think have decided he is hopeless and he has exercised his right to leave.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Great move for Sam but annoying we won't see a penny instantly. I'm sure we will in the future.

All the best, hope he makes a great life for himself over there.

Jambo On Fire

Even if he didn't go to an American team, there's no guarantee we would have got the development fees being quoted.  It all depends on how much other teams value him.  I'm pretty sure we only got a nominal development fee for Jason Holt because Rangers weren't willing to pay the full amount that we would be due and we didn't want to hamper his career.

Escobar PHM

What do you expect him to? Sign for some mob like Yeovil just so a development fee can be paid to the club whose fans are now calling him shite?

As I said. I don't care what he does. Yeovil - Minnesota. Don't care. Just don't ask me to applaud his empty sell on clause gesture which does nothing more than make him feel good about himself. He'll never realise a fee that compensates us and he'll never play at a higher level than Hearts. See ya Sam.

Escobar PHM

Even if he didn't go to an American team, there's no guarantee we would have got the development fees being quoted.  It all depends on how much other teams value him.  I'm pretty sure we only got a nominal development fee for Jason Holt because Rangers weren't willing to pay the full amount that we would be due and we didn't want to hamper his career.

Seriously ? Its the only place in the world he could have gone that we wouldn't have got training compensation from. How they get away with it by FIFA is beyond me.

Nookie Bear

As I said. I don't care what he does. Yeovil - Minnesota. Don't care. Just don't ask me to applaud his empty sell on clause gesture which does nothing more than make him feel good about himself. He'll never realise a fee that compensates us and he'll never play at a higher level than Hearts. See ya Sam.

It's not empty though, is it. He didn't need to have that in there so it's a gesture, no matter how pointless you think it is.

He must be wondering why he bothered.

can't see it being only a year , would be very surprised at that, 2 years min I would have thought

Only show in town for him and only way he can get out the Dev fee issue in next 12 months.

Interesting example you've given here. Andy Driver tried to sign for Yeovil after struggling with life in MLS...

Driver couldn't cut it in MLS when it was weaker than it is now. Nicholson isn't close to being the player Driver was. He has boxed himself into a corner, similar to Walker.

We let Holt go on the cheap hoping his agent would disappear as well. Sadly he didn't.

Can't exactly go shouting about a decent fee when he's been average for long enough.

There's seems to be this default reaction to young players and expecting big money.

You have to look at performances and quality.

Escobar PHM

It's not empty though, is it. He didn't need to have that in there so it's a gesture, no matter how pointless you think it is.

He must be wondering why he bothered.

He's obviously placated a few with it so not entirely pointless I suppose.

Aberdeen fan here, from what I'd heard Nicholson to Aberdeen is very likely. Once McIness's future is sorted out (meant to be signing a new deal soon) both Greg Stewart and Nicholson will be new signigns to follow with Hayes leaving (un-sure wether to the Tims or down south).Consensus from our fans is that he has his moments where he looks quality but can often fade out of a game

For me, similar ish to McGinn, on his day could be the best player on the park, just never finds the consistency needed to make it at the top level

Yes

Maybe in next year or so

We can still pursue the development fee via FIFA albeit maybe a long way away

Guessing knowing the people at club we will pursue it

Can't exactly go shouting about a decent fee when he's been average for long enough.

There's seems to be this default reaction to young players and expecting big money.

You have to look at performances and quality.

Exactly

We want good examples at club and a clear route to encourage performance which will be rewarded

Nicholson didn't manage it

Craig Gordons Gloves

Welcome to Minnesota Sam, 3rd best state to live in over here according to the most recent surveys.

Now, if you'll just pop on down to the new Nando's that will be opening just round the corner from the new stadium that would be great....

Nookie Bear

He's obviously placated a few with it so not entirely pointless I suppose.

It doesn't placate me because there is nothing to..er...placate.

According to JKB he is shite so we are shot of him and his wages.

It's a shame his talent never flourished as it should have but we move on and nobody has done anything wrong here.

It doesn't placate me because there is nothing to..er...placate.

According to JKB he is shite so we are shot of him and his wages.

It's a shame his talent never flourished as it should have but we move on and nobody has done anything wrong here.

Yeh I don't rate him, I did at one time but that was more in expectation of the player he might become, he's just laboured along without doing anything in the last couple of years so I'm not too bothered where he goes, I don't think he'll be missed or one that got away.

3fingersreid

Good luck Sam , glad you went a good bit further west than some others have in the past and appear to want to now , good one with the sell on clause too .

Tynecastlesmychurch

Aparantly Sam is requesting a sell on fee for the club in his contract.

The Future's Maroon

Think I seen that mentioned on the massive Sam Nicholson Thread? Could be wrong tho?

dkmmgcycbwc

How sad to see a player, however you regard him, who is trying to do something for our club being insulted.

Quick question, sure I read on the JW thread that when a player turns 23? a development fee is no longer due.

Now Sam turns 23 on the 20th of January so even if he had signed an extension the chances of us receiving anything would

have been slim.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick with the development fee though.

What do you expect him to do, exactly?

he isn't getting a game, clearly the fans think have decided he is hopeless and he has exercised his right to leave.

He is doing exactly what his agent had instigated . Having found out no one in Britain will pay the development fee he is of to the US one one year deal and will return possibly in. 6 months by mutual consent and try and get a deal back in Britain, possibly Scotland.

Let's not try and pretend anything else is in his or his agents mind .

stirlingshirejambo

Quick question, sure I read on the JW thread that when a player turns 23? a development fee is no longer due.

Now Sam turns 23 on the 20th of January so even if he had signed an extension the chances of us receiving anything would

have been slim.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick with the development fee though.

I'm sure the wording is under 24 when the contract ends so maybe a years extension would have got us a development fee providing he didn't still bugger off to USA

I am sure he will miss your wonderful support

You dont have to defend every single player, you do know some havent made it at Hearts and deserve that to be highlighted whether they are 18 and Scottish or 38 and Ukranian.

Every single thread you are on defending to the death why not have an actual opinion where you recognise some players havent made it.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Think I seen that mentioned on the massive Sam Nicholson Thread? Could be wrong tho?

I've been staying clear of the massive Sam Nicholson Thread since it descended into insulting and rubbishing the guy.

So apologies if it was already on that Thread.

How sad to see a player, however you regard him, who is trying to do something for our club being insulted.

Agree completely!

Winston Ingram

Looks very much like he is going there in short term so that he can become more attractive to others in the UK as a free. Nobody will pay development fee as it stands.

Sell on clause or not, there is next to no chance of someone buying him outright from the MLS when they won't take him as an existing player in the UK. 

All in all, a bit of a mess from another player who seems badly advised. If I was Sam, I'd want my agent to be drumming up something better than the MLS after committing to leaving Hearts. 

Good luck to the lad.

Disappointed he's not kicked on in the manner expected but that's football. Had he developed a bit further we'd have received the development fee without any problems.

The lads obviously got talent and I've said before that in my opinion he'd be better served signing a new deal here, knuckle down for the next year and see where we're at this time next summer.

Like others I agree we'll never see a penny despite the clause but a good gesture none the less.

Glamorgan Jambo

Best of luck to Sam with this move even though it sticks a bit in the throat.

This sort of opportunity could really be the making of him in so many ways so he needs to grasp it with both hands.

Although I suspect he'll fail to adapt and settle and that he'll be back in Scottish football in a maximum of 12 months time.

Good luck to him, don't think he will ever be the player he thinks he is . Not sad at seeing him go, and frees up another wage

pharmaceutical01

Don't know if anyone else has posted but the mls season runs from March to October.... Seems a funny deal... Bet he is loaned back to Ibroke at the end of the mls season

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Yeh I don't rate him, I did at one time but that was more in expectation of the player he might become, he's just laboured along without doing anything in the last couple of years so I'm not too bothered where he goes, I don't think he'll be missed or one that got away.

Pretty much sums it up for me also. Good luck to the lad though but he was bang on average with a few good games but a few bad ones also

Don't know if anyone else has posted but the mls season runs from March to October.... Seems a funny deal... Bet he is loaned back to Ibroke at the end of the mls season

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

This. Like what happened with Lampard and City. I think your bang on the money

Allowayjambo1874

Re the sell on fee.

I don't follow MLS but I can't recall anyone ever moving to/from that league that involved a transfer fee, I just thought they picked up players out of contract, paid them big bucks and released them from contract when done.

Is that not the case anymore?

If so is the sell on fee clause not just a complete red herring?

Apologies if already asked

rudi must stay

The sell on fee bit is up to him, but it doesn't make him look very good. And probably limits his chance of returning one day, have a feeling Hearts would have taken him back a few years down the line but not now

Jambos_1874

I don't think Nicholson will be a big loss. Yes he has ability and turns up for some of the big games but he has been in and out of the team and doesn't always lookn interested. All the best to him though.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The sell on fee bit is up to him, but it doesn't make him look very good. And probably limits his chance of returning one day, have a feeling Hearts would have taken him back a few years down the line but not now

He's just copying Paterson and trying to make himself look like less of a dick.

Archived