Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

Lucille's Thirsty

Surely the club now have to be strong with players and anyone with a year left on their contract has yo be sold no matter how good they are!We can't as a club afford to loose the cash.

I don't think that's true Nicholson leaving meaning we get no cash for him which was silly by Ann and Craig but it's nothing major we are not a poor club which needs transfer income to survive.

I agree we need to be more clear when players have a year on their contract,they have to either sign a new contract or get themselves a transfer.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strachsuit

Isn't it a case of nobody will pay 250k never mind 400k?

Correct.

That's not how it works.

We are due a development fee if he chooses to go to a club in the UK. As it stands, there are no "offers" made. Sam is free to speak to any club he chooses - if that club happens to be in the UK then we will be due a fee, as decided by FIFA rules, or a tribunal if necessary. If that club is outside the UK we are due hee haw. 

Not entirely correct, FIFA regulated training compensation is due regardless where the player moves (not limited to the UK), even to the US. The problem with the US is that the US Soccer Federation currently prohibits their clubs to pay or receive all training compensation fees, even those imposed by FIFA, so Hearts would have to lodge a formal complaint with FIFA and wait for years for that to play out.  In effect the same result as not having a claim at all, but legally two different situations...

Except for offering an equal or better contract though, I agree there isn't much Hearts can do in this situation.

Not sure I understand why we wont get compensation for him. The training compensation rules are a FIFA rule. Why don't they apply to a transfer between Scotland and the US ?

They do apply and a training compensation claim would be valid under FIFA rules. However, the US Soccer Federation is currently banning their clubs from paying or receiving training compensation payments for out of contract players. There is a dispute between FIFA and the USSF on this which should be resolved eventually, but till then all clubs can do is lodge a claim with FIFA and wait for the dispute to be resolved.

Watt-Zeefuik

I think they lost their first home game to Atlanta another new team 6-1, played in a blizzard!! Good life experience, not sure about the football.

A few matches in March in Minnesota won't be too much worse than a January game at Pittodrie.

. . . says the man who suffered there for four years and swore he'd never come back in the month of March . . .

Ivan Drago

We're going to have to start cashing in on the likes of nicholson with 12 months of their contacts to go. It's no great loss in terms of the player because he's going downhill but a shame we're not getting any cash for him.

Part of the DOF's remit should be making sure we get value for money on the young players we bring through imo

you are talking pish as usual , the fact is Paterson '' would have signed another contract'' if the offer was good enough same goes for Nicholson ( much to your disgust I know ) pray tell me why Walker hasn't signed because I can tell you that as well. Looking forward to locking horns with you next season you will have plenty of new targets to troll

Perhaps Paterson would've signed if Hearts could pay English Championship / lower EPL wages......

Are you simple?

Perhaps Paterson would've signed if Hearts could pay English Championship / lower EPL wages......

Are you simple?

He wouldn't have stayed regardless.

Webster gate watch this space people

Wouldn't surprise me. What's the Huns got to do with some mob in the states though? Was Webster not one big con with Whelan (jjb) and Murray (not a leg to stand on)?

williamgerrard

Wouldn't surprise me. What's the Huns got to do with some mob in the states though? Was Webster not one big con with Whelan (jjb) and Murray (not a leg to stand on)?

Goes to America then goes to the huns for nothing 

maroonnicky63

Are you simple?

Do you really need me to explain to you how it works, ok num nuts here goes. Paterson was offered a contract ( are you with me so far ) the contract was a poor one ( still following me ) Paterson was extremely upset at the offer because he believed rightly so that his performance should have brought him in line with the top earners at the club ( still following me ) but it didn't. Hearts wanted to speak to him again after he turned it down but he declined any discussion with regard to a contract, now like it or not this is what happened but you go on believing what you want, Paterson does want to move down south but at that time he would have signed a contract '' if it would have brought him in line with the top earners at that time'' and IMO he well deserved it and we missed out big time by penny pinching.

GorgieBoysAreInTown

Some of the comments are baffling!!

Let's not forget being a footballer is a job.. but one that can only last 12-15 years roughly. Why would you not chase the money?

On the topic of Sam, Jamie and CP all wanting away. When you've got guys around you on double/treble your wage and there fecking hopeless. Why would you settle for one of levein's terrible contracts.

If we want our academy players coming through and signing extensions we have to treat them better! they are our bread and butter. Not Juwon oshaniwa, malaury Martin.. throwing big deals at these jokers!

I do not blame sam wanting out, and if I got offered a job in America on x4 my salary I know where I'd be.. boarding a flight any second now

pattythejambo

Surely the club now have to be strong with players and anyone with a year left on their contract has yo be sold no matter how good they are!We can't as a club afford to loose the cash.

Agree but because the youngsters have been at the club for a number of years doesn't means we can pay them a lot less than what they can get elsewhere , pay the going rate and you won't have this happening to us with all the kids we bring through.

Still not a done deal. It seems as though he's going over for a trial more than anything else. Im Assuming if they think he's going to be a squad player his wages will a drop considerably and he may come back begging for a contract. Can't reveal source but it's a good'n.

Yeah I know that but there was a connection when Webster conned us. He signs a three year deal in America why would they then let him leave for nowt a few months later?

maroonnicky63

Let's not forget being a footballer is a job.. but one that can only last 12-15 years roughly. Why would you not chase the money?

On the topic of Sam, Jamie and CP all wanting away. When you've got guys around you on double/treble your wage and there fecking hopeless. Why would you settle for one of levein's terrible contracts.

If we want our academy players coming through and signing extensions we have to treat them better! they are our bread and butter. Not Juwon oshaniwa, malaury Martin.. throwing big deals at these jokers!

I do not blame sam wanting out, and if I got offered a job in America on x4 my salary I know where I'd be.. boarding a flight any second now

spot on and a sensible way to look at it

Agree but because the youngsters have been at the club for a number of years doesn't means we can pay them a lot less than what they can get elsewhere , pay the going rate and you won't have this happening to us with all the kids we bring through.

No he won't, he's got offers in England on a lower wage because of the compensation. Portsmouth is who I've been told.

pattythejambo

No he won't, he's got offers in England on a lower wage because of the compensation. Portsmouth is who I've been told.

I find it hard to believe he would be getting less at Portsmouth, even with them paying the compensation fee as I think they would be looking to negotiate it down as he did not play much towards the end of the season.

We put the boys on peanuts from what I hear then moan when they look elsewhere

IMO he has barely kicked on since he broke through. He has the same weaknesses now as he had then. If he wants to move to the States for the money, fair enough.

We probably would have had to do him a favour anyway, by accepting a lower fee than we are due. Hope for his sake that he can turn his career around, but I don't see him as a loss to the squad. I never would have predicted that when he scored in the 3-3 at St. Johnstone, for example, and was looking like a real gem.

Built like a blue rizla.

No ill feelings towards the lad.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Do you really need me to explain to you how it works, ok num nuts here goes. Paterson was offered a contract ( are you with me so far ) the contract was a poor one ( still following me ) Paterson was extremely upset at the offer because he believed rightly so that his performance should have brought him in line with the top earners at the club ( still following me ) but it didn't. Hearts wanted to speak to him again after he turned it down but he declined any discussion with regard to a contract, now like it or not this is what happened but you go on believing what you want, Paterson does want to move down south but at that time he would have signed a contract '' if it would have brought him in line with the top earners at that time'' and IMO he well deserved it and we missed out big time by penny pinching.

So your saying Calum rejected the first offer then refused to sit down with the club to discuss another?

Sounds like he was set on a move. Most, if not all footballers will negotiate further if they really don't want to move.

pattythejambo

IMO he has barely kicked on since he broke through. He has the same weaknesses now as he had then. If he wants to move to the States for the money, fair enough.

We probably would have had to do him a favour anyway, by accepting a lower fee than we are due. Hope for his sake that he can turn his career around, but I don't see him as a loss to the squad. I never would have predicted that when he scored in the 3-3 at St. Johnstone, for example, and was looking like a real gem.

The point being it's not just Sam it's all the youth we bring through, time and time again because of penny pinching

I find it hard to believe he would be getting less at Portsmouth, even with them paying the compensation fee as I think they would be looking to negotiate it down as he did not play much towards the end of the season.

We put the boys on peanuts from what I hear then moan when they look elsewhere

Lower wage than America mate, larger wage by loads down South than offered at the club. His face doesn't fit apparently.

So your saying Calum rejected the first offer then refused to sit down with the club to discuss another?

Sounds like he was set on a move. Most, if not all footballers will negotiate further if they really don't want to move.

When it's open knowledge what the left back is on and you see what they have offered it doesn't help matters. Coupled by the fact there's problems with certain players (or ex) and certain figures you are correct he was never going to sign.

They were no where near the top earners at the club , when hearts realized Paterson was not a happy budgie and was going they tried to come back in but Paterson wouldn't have it. Nicholson would have signed in a heart beat if the offer was any good at all , Walker is in the same boat at the moment but he still has a year left and Hearts need to sell him now or he will walk next season for nothing unless they change there mind and offer him a decent contract which I doubt. Someone on here said this a while back and he was blasted for it but he is spot on. I don't blame any of them if they are way below some of our tip earners especially as they have not performed

I can understand Paterson wanting to be in the top salary bracket but I can't understand why he would reject discussions about an improved offer. That's how negotiations work. If he refused to discuss anything at all it either suggests that he's just not particularly mature, or more likely, that he had made up his mind and was leaving regardless. It's a shame he's going but it doesn't sound to me like it was ever really going to go any other way. Who are the top earners anyway? Sounds like we've made some mistakes there.

As for Nicholson, I'm also sad he's leaving but I can fully understand him not being offered top dollar. Not yet, anyway. Maybe that would've come once he settled back into some sort of consistency. I don't know.

And Walker... I hope things work out with him. There's still time to sort that one out.

pattythejambo

I can understand Paterson wanting to be in the top salary bracket but I can't understand why he would reject discussions about an improved offer. That's how negotiations work. If he refused to discuss anything at all it either suggests that he's just not particularly mature, or more likely, that he had made up his mind and was leaving regardless. It's a shame he's going but it doesn't sound to me like it was ever really going to go any other way. Who are the top earners anyway? Sounds like we've made some mistakes there.

As for Nicholson, I'm also sad he's leaving but I can fully understand him not being offered top dollar. Not yet, anyway. Maybe that would've come once he settled back into some sort of consistency. I don't know.

And Walker... I hope things work out with him. There's still time to sort that one out.

Totally agree about Paterson, but like it or not it looks to me like we are taking in youth players in the hope of getting a development fee for them after a few years or every so often getting a first team player.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I can mind folk saying the same about Ryan McGowan.

FarmerTweedy

But proves what I have been saying for some time.  Why invest in an Academy?  Get journeymen in who know the business, are willing to die for the cause and have no financial axe to grind or point to prove. 

Nice to see the young laddies come on but when you are doing it for a development or transfer fees and end up getting the square root of sod all then what is the point.

A mediocre young player leaves the club without us getting compensation, and that's proof we shouldn't bother with a youth system? Aye, ok then!

our youth policy is a failure now can't believe some fans have let levein pull the wool over their eyes with 8 academy players from the same age level never seen that happening before an absolute smokescreen to cover the shit job levein has done

Spot on!!

FarmerTweedy

our youth policy is a failure now can't believe some fans have let levein pull the wool over their eyes with 8 academy players from the same age level never seen that happening before an absolute smokescreen to cover the shit job levein has done

Anyone with even one iota of intelligence is aware that it was going to take a few years for the rebuilding of the youth system to bear fruit in terms of players reaching the first team squad.

You bash on with slavering shite though!

Nelly Terraces

He's bang average & his physique is laughable for the modern game, but fair play, naff off to the States on a very tidy salary (way more than he's currently on, by a long chalk) - can't say I blame the geezer.

FarmerTweedy

How does that work then?

FarmerTweedy

I don't think that's true Nicholson leaving meaning we get no cash for him which was silly by Ann and Craig but it's nothing major we are not a poor club which needs transfer income to survive.

I agree we need to be more clear when players have a year on their contract,they have to either sign a new contract or get themselves a transfer.

Or they can just do neither and see out the final year of their contract!

Or they can just do neither and see out the final year of their contract!

The choice is often 'better to have the player' that final year

Shite

pattythejambo

Sadly might be true , probably only 3 or 4 have a chance from what I've seen.

So we should have offered Nicholson 4K a week and the club are assholes for not doing so.

Is that one of the arguments here?

So we should have offered Nicholson 4K a week and the club are assholes for not doing so.

Seems to be.

Thankfully he's had all he's getting from us. Putrid.

Jambothump

This really cheeses me off, the  word is LOSE. If you can't spell or use the English language, step away from the keyboard until you learn the basics

pattythejambo

Not at all but if we don't offer the going rate, we can't moan when players look after themselves

Futurejambo1

Wouldn't have thought he'd be looking anywhere near 4K in fact he'd probably have signed in a heartbeat for half that!

Not at all but if we don't offer the going rate, we can't moan when players look after themselves

The going rate for what?

Inconsistent wingers who can't get a start every week and are rarely match winners?

Surely he was offered the going rated for that sort of player of about ?750 a week?

Jean Louis Valois

Not surprised Sammy wants to leave with all the rubbish being spouted about him. Ok so he's not the finished article at all but he's a player we should be keeping and improving. Will be a loss in my opinion

Archived