Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

The issue Sam has is he thinks he's worth say 3K per week over the next 3 years and Hearts think he's worth 2K per week over the same period.

If Hearts get a development fee of 300K, they can use the 2K per week they were going to give Sam and another 2K per week from the money they get from a development fee (provided he stays in U.K.) so they can effectively sign an out of contract 4K per week player rather than a 2K per week player.

What Hearts have to factor in is, is Sam going to improve and is he going to be worth, say ?1M in a couple of years.

If Aberdeen sign him they effectively pay 4K per week for a player Hearts think is only worth 2K per week. They may see more potential in him than hearts though.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the club have said he's here till 2019 I would assume he'd be our manager for at least this season. Going to garuntee he'll be gone before 2020, think a club in england will snap him up soon enough. But he sounds committed to maintaing us as the second team in scotland and wanting to give a better showing in Europe this season

1st bold bit: won't happen

2nd bold bit: won't happen

Never Let Them Forget

According to EEN he's signing a 2 and a half year deal with Minnesota.

He has also insisted on Hearts getting a sell on fee in the future.

Well done Sam :D

Escobar PHM

Aye well done Sam. The only country in the world that doesn't pay development fees and FIFA lets them away with it.

Meh, horizon payments have a habit of staying on the horizon.

Never Let Them Forget, on 16 Jun 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

well if true that's another few 100k lost out on :bomb2: but well done on the sell on clause

Aye well done Sam. The only country in the world that doesn't pay development fees and FIFA lets them away with it.

Should he just not sign for the club he chooses as the best way forward because they aren't due a fee?  You could say the same thing about Stockton coming here. 

Good luck Sam. 

Bowmans_Boot

Should he just not sign for the club he chooses as the best way forward because they aren't due a fee? You could say the same thing about Stockton coming here.

Good luck Sam.

Yep, every fan thinks it is great and just modern football when it benefits their club and grossly unfair when it doesnt.

I wish him all the best, thanks for great memories, especially the goals (& celebrations!!) against Hibs!

As nice as the sell on fee is he will be back to a U.K. Club for no fee within two years

Good gesture from Sam, he could easily not have bothered especially the way a section of fans turned on him in his last appearance at Tynie.  Gutter about the compensation but it doesn't sound like anyone was willing to meet that value.  Wish him well.

well if true that's another few 100k lost out on :bomb2: but well done on the sell on clause

Have we not lost out on a ?300k development fee?

jamboinglasgow

Good on him getting a sell on clause.

Though how often do mls clubs sell players for good money?

Fair play for the sell onclause. Scored a few crackers vs Hibs, but never really kicked on as it looked like he could.

Credit to him fo trying it out abroad, better that than him going to the ugly sisters!

maroonnicky63

Are you a players agent ?

Why do you never support the club over players ?

it's just daft , he wants to go so why would he have regrets doesn't make sense

Delighted he has managed to get the move he wanted. I spoke to him last Friday and he was dead set on going to the states rather than staying in the UK.

The contract they have offered and the materials he will be given to settle in sounds amazing.

Meh in real terms it means nothing as I dont see him being sold on after for any real cash.

Good luck to him..

Its a one year deal with an option to extend.

Again a really nice gesture from Sam to the club. 

Wish him all the best.

It is, IF the intention is to see it out. Not if the intention is to return here after 12 months to get round the Dev fee issue.

RustyRightPeg

Think if it's true re. sell on clause, the players leaving the club hold the club in the highest regard and appreciate what they've done for them. They don't have to insist on these clauses and I personally think it is a great touch. Some of the ring pieces on here should maybe show a bit of appreciation rather than slating them.

Andy Driver Mk2. He'll be back to play in the Championship or lower SPL team within 2 years

KineticBeat

It is, IF the intention is to see it out. Not if the intention is to return here after 12 months to get round the Dev fee issue.

Regardless of whether we actually get anything from it I still think it's a nice gesture that he's thought about the club in asking for it.

Think if it's true re. sell on clause, the players leaving the club hold the club in the highest regard and appreciate what they've done for them. They don't have to insist on these clauses and I personally think it is a great touch. Some of the ring pieces on here should maybe show a bit of appreciation rather than slating them.

It is a nice touch but I don't see anyone paying money for him. 

Andy Driver Mk2. He'll be back to play in the Championship or lower SPL team within 2 years

Driver is twice the player Nicholson is.

Unless the sell-on clause is 100% then we're never likely to get close to the development fee for him.

RustyRightPeg

It is a nice touch but I don't see anyone paying money for him. 

What if he really kicks on? No pressure on him over there. Can play his own game.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Honestly not bothered about this. I'm bothered by the fact that our squad is pretty gash but Nicholson staying doesn't help.

Showed promise but levelled off ages ago and isn't going to get better, hence why he's cashing in over in the States

Dusk_Till_Dawn

What if he really kicks on? No pressure on him over there. Can play his own game.

He's not going to kick on over there. 

maroonnicky63

Don't know where you get from I watch MLS on sky and the standard is excellent, not what it used to be like years ago,I think he will kick on over there some very good players in that league now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Don't know where you get from I watch MLS on sky and the standard is excellent, not what it used to be like years ago,I think he will kick on over there some very good players in that league now.

Compared to what? 

Escobar PHM

Should he just not sign for the club he chooses as the best way forward because they aren't due a fee?  You could say the same thing about Stockton coming here. 

Good luck Sam.

He can sign for who he likes. I couldn't care less. Half a dozen decent games in 3 years means he is no loss. Forgive me if I don't stand up and applaud him for an empty gesture which will never transpire.

Good luck Sam. 

You're comparing someone for whom a development fee doesn't apply with someone for whom a development would normally be due.

The Treasurer

Did I not read somewhere (might have been on JKB) that there a route for the club to appeal to FIFA regarding the USA not paying development fees, or am I talking pish ?

Empty gesture I reckon and he probably knows it. He has been the most disappointing of the clutch of promising young players and few people see him reaching the level initially projected for him. Named my wee dog after him though so I wish him well!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You're comparing someone for whom a development fee doesn't apply with someone for whom a development would normally be due.

Tbh, when a club are clinging on in hope of a development fee, it suggests that they haven't handled the player's contract very well.

We need to start being ruthless with players at the 12-month stage, which is why I hope we sell Walker.

Meh in real terms it means nothing as I dont see him being sold on after for any real cash.

Good luck to him..

Put it this way, it's better than him not doing it and doing a John Souttar over there and we miss out financially. 

maroonnicky63

Compared to what? 

Compared to what? 

scottish prem for a start , the quality of player in the states now is much higher than it used to be and IMO Sam will more over there 

If he stayed in England a development fee would have applied.  We got through the loophole because he's(was)  a conference player. 

Escobar PHM

Did I not read somewhere (might have been on JKB) that there a route for the club to appeal to FIFA regarding the USA not paying development fees, or am I talking pish ?

Yes there are a few cases going through a process and FIFA have explicitly said that the fees cannot be avoided. However the cases going through the process are from 2014/15 and no sign of a resolution. If FIFA stepped in and suspended them there would be a resolution in 5 minutes flat.

Dunno if we'll pursue it or not. I think the last time it happened cross border was a Nantes player and they haven't been paid.

maroonnicky63

I am sure he will miss your wonderful support 

He can sign for who he likes. I couldn't care less. Half a dozen decent games in 3 years means he is no loss. Forgive me if I don't stand up and applaud him for an empty gesture which will never transpire.

You would have heard similar comments when Souttar left Dundee Utd, you never know what a change of environment may achieve. 

Dalstonjambo

Thanks for the sell on clause Sam and I hope it works well for you out there.

maroonnicky63

Its a one year deal with an option to extend.

can't see it being only a year , would be very surprised at that, 2 years min I would have thought

Dusk_Till_Dawn

scottish prem for a start , the quality of player in the states now is much higher than it used to be and IMO Sam will more over there 

The USA is where players go to die. It'll be overtaken by Chinese football soon enough.

Nookie Bear

What do you expect him to? Sign for some mob like Yeovil just so a development fee can be paid to the club whose fans are now calling him shite?

munich_veteran

What do you expect him to? Sign for some mob like Yeovil just so a development fee can be paid to the club whose fans are now calling him shite?

Interesting example you've given here. Andy Driver tried to sign for Yeovil after struggling with life in MLS...

maroonnicky63

good point cant wait on the answer

Archived