Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

siegementality

Having spoke to someone quite close to Sam. We offered him an extension on his contract. It was'nt the amount of money per week he was expecting to be offered. I Never asked about the figures. He wasn't overly happy about the January signings being offered more in wages

He turned it down due to this and also due to having better options available to him. It's not set in stone that he will go to America, It depends on whether his girlfriend wants to go.

However in my opinion over the last season I am not sure his performances have actually merited a new contract he is quite one dimentional in the way he always cuts inside and teams know how to defend against him

I'd suggest that if he wants paid at a certain level then he should have played at a level that merits that payment. He didn't.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact most folk are more upset about no compo than actually losing him as a player sums it up.

Yeah

I named my wee dog after Sam as Rudi was already in use. I think a fit Sam well used can still be pretty successful but a number of things have limited what he has achieved here. He is far from alone in not performing in the second half of this season and in fact more experienced players than him did not perform. I wish him well (as does my dog!)

I'm not overly fussed about him leaving or the fact we'll get nothing for him.

It's a shame that he's not developed at anywhere near to the player it looked he might and the kind of compensation being talked about would be a gamble for the buying team.

I can't help but feel that the best thing for him would be to sign a 2 year deal here, knuckle down and try to develop his potential.

Seymour M Hersh

The biggest sign of immaturity is not in Sam but in the majority of comments on the thread. For Sam playing football is a job and he will go to the club that seems the most attractive to him. As for the clowns who deride Jaimie, they clearly know nothing about football skill, their comments are likely to drive the last real talent we have away. Like the support, Jaimies moral is rock bottom after a disgraceful end to the season- blame the guys who got us in that position instead of the players.

But no we still get the apologists for IC because he's young, full of modern ideas and can work a keyboard. So can any 10 year old!

As you've just proved to us all. :smuggy:

Tokyo Drifter

Let's be absolutely honest, who would have paid the compensation for Nicholson?

Nobody. You're quite right. He was always going to find it difficult to engineer a deal under those circumstances which is why the supposed interest from Rangers was always dubious. Best thing he could have done was re-sign, but to be honest if he had I don't think he'd have got much game time next season if he had.

maroonnicky63

Player choice

He's made a choice that guarantees we get nothing

Nothing to do with management

Rubbish , if they offered him a decent contract he would have stayed as would Paterson 

maroonnicky63

Wait until they get an eyeful of his bobbing around style and continually losing possession.

Added to his schoolboy physique and someone is getting a real cracker

Waste of space

ha ha this is a sore one for you my son all the shite you have posted on here about this young lad. They would have had him watched and there is no doubt about that. If he was as shite as you have always made out why is there championship sides down south after him, and don't come out with the crap they wont pay 400k , of course they wont. There is not many Scottish players will move down south for any more then 200k as the 

Glamorgan Jambo

I'm not sure Sam is mentally tough enough for life in Minneapolis. And it's not that difficult a place to settle in.

It's all posturing to avoid his next club paying the ?400K development fee and that cash ending up in Sam and his agent's pockets.

He can GTF as far as I'm concerned, he's trying to pull a 'Webster' with this stunt.

ha ha this is a sore one for you my son all the shite you have posted on here about this young lad. They would have had him watched and there is no doubt about that. If he was as shite as you have always made out why is there championship sides down south after him, and don't come out with the crap they wont pay 400k , of course they wont. There is not many Scottish players will move down south for any more then 200k as the

Barnsley have just paid 300k for a guy at St Mirren

Nicholson is a silly wee laddie who hasn't taken his career seriously

Move on

maroonnicky63

Barnsley have just paid 300k for a guy at St Mirren

Nicholson is a silly wee laddie who hasn't taken his career seriously

Move on

200k they paid so get it right and I did say there are exceptions , now you will have to do your stalking and slating to some other young lad who comes through our academy

One of the most frustrating players we've had in quite some time.  Always wants an extra couple of touches on the ball which invariably means he loses possession.

I'm another who's more upset on missing out on the cash than the player.

He won't be missed at all by me.

maroonnicky63

Been with us a long time so just don't get the hate here.

Good luck to him.

What bothers me is the compensation thing. What is the point of us bringing through any youngsters if there is a path through it without anyone paying.

have to agree with this

R_de_vries

The most he can get paid out there works out at around ?7k per week our money, due to the MLS salary cap, unless he is a designated player, which is normally you Kaka's, Gerrard, Pirlo ect, I'd be surprised if he was deemed to be in that category, allowing him to earn over the ?7k

You're back!!!

Hope you're chilling and enjoying the weather.

Chris Hamilton is a top prospect. 16 in a couple of months. Too early to play as can't play professional at 15. Marc Leonard too. Chris was down looking at clubs in England and we think Celtic were interested. He chose Hearts.

Euan Henderson who is 17 in summer got a chance in last game. Exciting player. Could get a chance next season.

Generally those of us who have seen them think it's another 2 or 3 years before these youngsters will start to push for first team squad. But you never know.

These are real, genuine players developed over several years. Their potential been identified at least 2 years ago. Anthony MacDonald came on a sub in 2016 Youth Cup final aged 14.

No one is pulling a fast one here. It's a genuine positive development several years in the making. People in the know think the next younger age groups could be even better.

Glad to hear we have high hopes for these kids

But, if we genuinely believe these kids are as good as many believe them to be, then Hearts must back there judgment this time and put them on long contracts... minimum 4 years, once they make the first team obviously.

This is the only way to run a successful youth policy, and sometimes you must take a gamble and back your judgment that a kid is going to make it (please don't quote Jamie Mole & Callum Elliott) some you will win, some you lose, but if we are not prepared or can't afford to take a gamble on these young players contracts, then you really need to re-evaluate your long term plans with running a successful youth policy

Rubbish , if they offered him a decent contract he would have stayed as would Paterson

What was so bad about the contracts he/they were offered?

Strachsuit

Why not negotiate , why have the price so high ? Surely 200k is better than nothing

That's not how it works.

We are due a development fee if he chooses to go to a club in the UK. As it stands, there are no "offers" made. Sam is free to speak to any club he chooses - if that club happens to be in the UK then we will be due a fee, as decided by FIFA rules, or a tribunal if necessary. If that club is outside the UK we are due hee haw. 

As far as I'm aware, Minnesota are the only club to have made Sam a formal offer. It's entirely out of our hands. 

To suggest the club are to blame is bonkers. We've offered Sam a deal on greater terms than he's on. Don't really see what else we can do!

maroonnicky63

They were no where near the top earners at the club , when hearts realized Paterson was not a happy budgie and was going they tried to come back in but Paterson wouldn't have it. Nicholson would have signed in a heart beat if the offer was any good at all , Walker is in the same boat at the moment but he still has a year left and Hearts need to sell him now or he will walk next season for nothing unless they change there mind and offer him a decent contract which I doubt. Someone on here said this a while back and he was blasted for it but he is spot on. I don't blame any of them if they are way below some of our tip earners especially as they have not performed

Livvyjambo

That's not how it works.

We are due a development fee if he chooses to go to a club in the UK. As it stands, there are no "offers" made. Sam is free to speak to any club he chooses - if that club happens to be in the UK then we will be due a fee, as decided by FIFA rules, or a tribunal if necessary. If that club is outside the UK we are due hee haw.

As far as I'm aware, Minnesota are the only club to have made Sam a formal offer. It's entirely out of our hands.

To suggest the club are to blame is bonkers. We've offered Sam a deal on greater terms than he's on. Don't really see what else we can do!

I know and understand how it works but how do you know there are no offers from down south ? Maybe an offer of around half the money mentioned on here but we would not budge ?

He'll be home sick within about 5 days. Guarantee he'll be back in Scotland within 6 months.

He's pish anyway so at least its another waster off the wage bill.

hmfc_liam06

They were no where near the top earners at the club.

If that's the case then credit to the club because he doesn't deserve a deal anywhere near the top earners at the club.

Perhaps the contract reflected how keen the club were to keep him.

maroonnicky63

Perhaps the contract reflected how keen the club were to keep him.

yes you could have a point which would give him the right to reject it but then you have Paterson and walker

maroonnicky63

If that's the case then credit to the club because he doesn't deserve a deal anywhere near the top earners at the club.

and who is the top earners at the club ? does that include our best player '' paterson'' was he not entitled to earn as much?

hmfc_liam06

and who is the top earners at the club ? does that include our best player '' paterson'' was he not entitled to earn as much?

So he expects the club to carry on with wreckless wages? Because shite like Osh is on ?4k a week so should shite like Nicholson?

The club know they've scored an OG with the way they've handled contracts for the likes of Osh and Sammon.

Escobar PHM

Not sure I understand why we wont get compensation for him. The training compensation rules are a FIFA rule. Why don't they apply to a transfer between Scotland and the US ?

maroonnicky63

I know and understand how it works but how do you know there are no offers from down south ? Maybe an offer of around half the money mentioned on here but we would not budge ?

That is a good point but you just never know if Hearts would accept say 250k. Speaking to a mate of mine in the know about this and he said Hearts would rather take nothing rather than let him go for less than the 400k which is bonkers to me , better we get something 250k would get Boyce surely ?

200k they paid so get it right and I did say there are exceptions , now you will have to do your stalking and slating to some other young lad who comes through our academy

Any criticism Nicholson has attracted has been justified imo. Immature and unprofessional. I've never seen anyone give away possession so frequently. He's not a loss.

The much heralded group to emerge from the Academy pre Administration would appear likely to return the sum total of ?65k for Holt and possibly ?400k for Paterson.

A return not entirely commensurate with the hype

This is absolutely shite even by your unhinged standards.

Paterson has been keen to leave for some time. Nothing to do with what he could or couldn't be offered. Wants to test himself at higher level which is fair enough

Livvyjambo

That is a good point but you just never know if Hearts would accept say 250k. Speaking to a mate of mine in the know about this and he said Hearts would rather take nothing rather than let him go for less than the 400k which is bonkers to me , better we get something 250k would get Boyce surely ?

Would not surprise me but seems like childlike behaviour from the club . Take what's on offer .

Would not surprise me but seems like childlike behaviour from the club . Take what's on offer .

Isn't it a case of nobody will pay 250k never mind 400k?

socrates82

Any criticism Nicholson has attracted has been justified imo. Immature and unprofessional. I've never seen anyone give away possession so frequently. He's not a loss.

The much heralded group to emerge from the Academy pre Administration would appear likely to return the sum total of ?65k for Holt and possibly ?400k for Paterson.

A return not entirely commensurate with the hype

Heralded by who? This batch of youngsters came from a non-existent academy thanks to Romanov. Almost all of them were promoted to the team too early, which led them - or their agent - to seek moves at a younger age than usual.

As for compensation. We don't make the rules. Both Holt and Paterson turned down contracts. I don't see other clubs in Scotland with a far more stable set up than us over the last few years making heaps of cash from their young players. Walker, Nicolson, Paterson, Hamilton and to a lesser extent Smith, McGhee and Holt are all decent Premiership level players. That should be the main aim. Bringing players through to the first team and getting a fee later if we can.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I could be wrong, but I just get the impression that former youth team is throwing toys out of the pram. My mates are not getting a game so I am leaving too. GIRUY Hearts attitude.

If that is the case, then they aren't going to make it. One of the things Neilson mentioned in his second pre season, it had got more intense, it had all been too pally. We are seeing that now.

Livvyjambo

Maybe , maybe not .There are stories that he had a deal in his hand at a club but would not pay what we were looking at . If this is true and the previous poster is right then maybe we never negotiated . Hopefully this might give us a jolt and we may try and get back to getting some money for him .

Whatever anyone thinks of sam and he has stalled over the last year , he is worth money to us and we. We'd to do what we can to get our hands on it

franko1874

Boyce has a 500k buyout clause, Preston and Sheffield Wednesday are interested. He won't be a Hearts player next season unfortunately.

Never good enough to be a Hearts player.

Good luck to him in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kingantti1874

But he needed to actually play well to Merit a substantial pay hike

Watt-Zeefuik

Good impact player to have on the bench but not consistent week in / week out. Having lived in Minnieapolis myself it really is a great place and with the standard of living over there any wage even slightly more than he is on with Hearts will see him living a comfortable life, especially if a car and house are given as part of the deal.

Only thing is the football better be through the summer... Minnieapolis is not the place I would want to play football outside in the winter... I've never known cold like it.

If it's true then all the best to him, none of the players who have left us over the last 4/5 years have went onto be world beaters or playing at clubs bigger than Hearts

This is a big reason why MLS plays summer football.

I think he'll do well in MLS.  The pitches are by and large much wider than Tynecastle, and I think Sam doesn't do well in tight, cramped pitches.  He does best if he can find some room on the wing or a bit cutting inside without getting closed down right away.

MNUFC have an attacking midfielder in Ibarra that they're quite high on.  I imagine Sam will start out on the bench behind him.

Why should I?

I could write down the league table, the squad list, the form since Cathro took over to prove we have made a series of very poor decisions.

But I can see you are intent on stoking the hatred towards Nicholson, a talented footballer who probably needs a new challenge and has taken the opportunity ply his trade in the States. Good luck to him.

You made a point about how we should have properly built on the Championship season but didn't back it up. I was genuinely interested in your views.

Hardly stoking hatred re nicholson - you must be some sort of thin skinned peach.

No words of hatred - words of criticism as to his decision and why that indicates he doesn't have the right mentality to succeed.

Constructive criticism mate or is that another thing not allowed these days?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This is a big reason why MLS plays summer football.

I think he'll do well in MLS.  The pitches are by and large much wider than Tynecastle, and I think Sam doesn't do well in tight, cramped pitches.  He does best if he can find some room on the wing or a bit cutting inside without getting closed down right away.

MNUFC have an attacking midfielder in Ibarra that they're quite high on.  I imagine Sam will start out on the bench behind him.

I think they lost their first home game to Atlanta another new team 6-1, played in a blizzard!! Good life experience, not sure about the football.

I think it's safe to dub him Nicholhibs now. Hope Minneapolis has a George Street equivalent.

The guy's not a drinker. Not sure where you get that from.

If he goes to the states we don't get a development fee apparently.

I think some of you are being very harsh. Sam has good ability and can be very effective on his day. I'm sad to hear that he's leaving.

Lucille's Thirsty

The guy's not a drinker. Not sure where you get that from.

Does America have a Nando's or is that a British company?

maroonnicky63

This is absolutely shite even by your unhinged standards.

Paterson has been keen to leave for some time. Nothing to do with what he could or couldn't be offered. Wants to test himself at higher level which is fair enough

you are talking pish as usual , the fact is Paterson '' would have signed another contract'' if the offer was good enough same goes for Nicholson ( much to your disgust I know ) pray tell me why Walker hasn't signed because I can tell you that as well. Looking forward to locking horns with you next season you will have plenty of new targets to troll

Good luck to him, uf I was his age again and had that option of living and working in the States I'd bite your hand off for it. The league over the pond appears to be growing in stature and well worth a shot at his age. Sucks we get no money for him but we've lost better before and not got a bean.

Hairy Nugget

Surely the club now have to be strong with players and anyone with a year left on their contract has yo be sold no matter how good they are!We can't as a club afford to loose the cash.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

We're going to have to start cashing in on the likes of nicholson with 12 months of their contacts to go. It's no great loss in terms of the player because he's going downhill but a shame we're not getting any cash for him.

maroonnicky63

Surely the club now have to be strong with players and anyone with a year left on their contract has yo be sold no matter how good they are!We can't as a club afford to loose the cash.

100% spot on

Archived