The Hearts Ultras ( merged )

No Idle Talk

I'm 47yo so I'm a wee bit auld for the ultras scene. I've observed this scene happening at Celtic and Rangers over the last few years and, frankly, thought it was all a bit wank. I've felt it was wank because I remember being at Tynecastle in the 80's and the atmosphere was tremendous. No ultras. Just Hearts fans.

I suppose times move on. The atmosphere at Tynecastle for your average home fixture against St Mirren, Ross County, Kilmarnock etc isn't always what it could be. So I'm slowly coming around to the way of thinking that this 'Ultras' movement isn't a bad thing. I'd rather have some ultras giving it beans than Tynecastle being a bit of a morgue on match day. 

It's probably a generational thing. I just think fans should turn up and sing songs without the need for an 'ultra' movement. But maybe those days have gone?

Respect to the young crew who love the Jambos enough to jump up and down and sing for 90mins non stop. I love that and we need that energy.

Just curious to know what people's thoughts in general are on this subject?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Wee Mikey

• been here before

• This is My Story Podcast

I think it's working. I'll give you another example on where it's working tremendously. The Emirates for arsenal. Been plenty of times with my dad and it's always felt like a colder version of sitting watching the TV with a cup of tea chatting about whats going on, on the pitch. Now the ultras have a huge section in the ground that's bouncing even when we go s goal down. And it's travelling round the stadium and others are joining in constantly making it a far better day 

Much fun both abroad and domestically.

I've been converted from a drum hater, so it just goes to show!

I kind of like 'The Gorgie' as an identity.

Leave out the word 'Ultras'.

We should be a bit more unique.

No need for any sort of dress-code as such ... and what's that nonsense with other crews sporting lanyards?

I'd puke if our lot ended up like the Green Brigade with their pseudo paramilitary parkas, or that lot from Aberdeen with their ski-masks, or whatever.

Nah; wear maroon, sing, make noise, have fun, get us auld gits joining in, and be cool.

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I'm 47yo so I'm a wee bit auld for the ultras scene. I've observed this scene happening at Celtic and Rangers over the last few years and, frankly, thought it was all a bit wank. I've felt it was wank because I remember being at Tynecastle in the 80's and the atmosphere was tremendous. No ultras. Just Hearts fans.

I suppose times move on. The atmosphere at Tynecastle for your average home fixture against St Mirren, Ross County, Kilmarnock etc isn't always what it could be. So I'm slowly coming around to the way of thinking that this 'Ultras' movement isn't a bad thing. I'd rather have some ultras giving it beans than Tynecastle being a bit of a morgue on match day. 

It's probably a generational thing. I just think fans should turn up and sing songs without the need for an 'ultra' movement. But maybe those days have gone?

Respect to the young crew who love the Jambos enough to jump up and down and sing for 90mins non stop. I love that and we need that energy.

Just curious to know what people's thoughts in general are on this subject?

Easier in the 80s because of the terraces and Hearts had a pretty decent team.

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Much fun both abroad and domestically.

I've been converted from a drum hater, so it just goes to show!

I kind of like 'The Gorgie' as an identity.

Leave out the word 'Ultras'.

We should be a bit more unique.

No need for any sort of dress-code as such ... and what's that nonsense with other crews sporting lanyards?

I'd puke if our lot ended up like the Green Brigade with their pseudo paramilitary parkas, or that lot from Aberdeen with their ski-masks, or whatever.

Nah; wear maroon, sing, make noise, have fun, get us auld gits joining in, and be cool.

Get this in their constitution...:thumb:

Keep it up Ultras, in our day the shed was the place for the ultras, although we didn't have any other name for it, just going to The Shed

Edited by brux

I’m 48, OP.   One of the best times I’ve had in recent years was getting a ticket with my mate for the Olly Lee Derby winner at Fester and we ended up right in amongst the young mob.  It was like a flashback to the terracing days. 

Great laugh, great sing song and great result. 😎😁🇱🇻

Every top flight club in Scotland seems to have a group these days, my guess is that a rise of footage of ‘proper’ ultras abroad on the likes of twitter, tiktok etc has fuelled the desire for similar in the UK. And admittedly the Green Brigade at Celtic has shown that with a bit organisation you can better your atmosphere.

Its been a long time coming at Hearts with us having the 3rd largest fanbase in Scotland yet no organisation within the support to form a ‘group’ or section.

Some of the guys involved in this aren’t kids, there is proper discussions going on with the club per their social media. 

Great work done so far however the major hurdle, that is going to need big action from the club, is accommodating them in an area in an already packed/sold out Tynecastle.

The lower Gorgie stand would be impressive, its just whether the fans currently there will be willing/encouraged to move to accommodate.

Shooter McGavin

They’ve made a big difference, and are giving Tynecastle a much needed lift.

The club really ought to be putting the infrastructure in place for a project like this.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Rather like what our young team or Ultras are bringing to the games home and away. Oh to be young again.. good work guys keep it up. 

I’m 50 on Thursday and I couldn’t be more behind these lads if I tried. They are brilliant and much needed. I love the drum, the pyro, the energy, the atmosphere. I don’t like the black gear but everything else I’m behind 💯

The whole thing just feels better organised this time around . They have made a difference in my view , and I hope they go from strength to strength

Can we drop the young team stuff on here? Do celtic fans refer to the green bridge as the young team? Doubt it. These are grown men who are having proper discussions with the club, not just some wee bams with a drum.

north wales jambo

100% for this, atmosphere is so much better now than previous seasons. As others have said, this can only be beneficial for the club, so many more fans are going to be attracted to wanting to go to matches, rather than sitting in a library on a cold night. 

Was at the Livingston game and even supporters in the middle of the main stand, were up joining in. 

My nephew took 3 mates up to the Motherwell game, who had never been to Tynecastle before, these being a mixture of Liverpool, wrecscum and Wolves fans, now admittedly the result helped, but they were blown away by the atmosphere and are already planning the next trip up..

William H. Bonney

Anything that generates an atmosphere is a good thing. Tynecastle has been too quiet of late. 

I cringe slightly at some of the stuff but that's just my age showing. 

30 years younger and I'd be desperate to get involved.  

Thunder and Lightning
2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Great to have them but ‘ultras’ - that’s nonsense and just reminds me of the huns and tic. 

Why? They didn't invent it. 

Initially agreed with the OP too. I saw all the union bears/green brigade stuff and thought it felt like a poor imitation of mainland European ultra's but its breathed a lot of life back into the atmosphere that I can see, which is excellent and I think its genuinely played a role in our form the last month or two, having the fans roaring them on has undoubtedly helped. 

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Great to have them but ‘ultras’ - that’s nonsense and just reminds me of the huns and tic. 

If you see 'ultras' and think of the Old Firm, you really need to broaden your horizons.

Just now, The Hogfather said:

If you see 'ultras' and think of the Old Firm, you really need to broaden your horizons.

Correct started in Italy in the late 60s. 

Everyone who goes to Tynecastle regularly, that I've spoken to , is behind the Gorgie.  Shame for those who have sat in the seem seat in the lower Gorgie for donkeys years but they don't own those seats and there are other seats they can move to. I'm sure the club will handle their move sympathetically.

Bazzas right boot

All good.

Really made a difference recently.

Prefer the Gorgie as opposed to ultras and they need to stay away from the fenian songs and the union Jacks (which in general they are).

Apart from that Carry on lads, great stuff.

Guys have only just started it this season and it's already far better than Hibs efforts that have been going for years.Well done to all involved 

19 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Totally nothing to do with them

lost in space
13 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

They fair make me rustle my sweetie wrappers to dem drum beats🤠

Ah, so its you that is making all that noise. For gods sake man - keep it down. How am I supposed to sleep??

I'm in my mid 50's and I've always been very pro anything that gets the fans singing decent songs and improving the atmosphere.

The Gorgie Ultras is probably the best group we've had at Tynecastle since I've been going to games. I support these fans 100%.

I just hope they have a reserve drummer if the main bloke is ever injured. 🥁

Edited by Nobreath

Colonel Kurtz

I was sitting outside the Polwart when the ST Johnsone ults came in all dressed in black.

I honestly thought they were a fringe axt and asked one of them what the name of the show was

I remember the old pie stand  it was like Rourkes Drift when we played Celtic but we stood our ground in the main.

Eventually sheer weight of numbers forced us out to what became the shed

THere as even a few in clockwork uniform black crombie and bleached 501s

Leter om Mr Sifter was prominent

Good luvk to the young boys

22 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Correct started in Italy in the late 60s. 

Everyone who goes to Tynecastle regularly, that I've spoken to , is behind the Gorgie.  Shame for those who have sat in the seem seat in the lower Gorgie for donkeys years but they don't own those seats and there are other seats they can move to. I'm sure the club will handle their move sympathetically.

I'd be pissed off if I had owned a season ticket in a section of the stadium for a lengthy number of years and was told to move because a newly formed  group of the young team wanted to get it going. It seems to be popular but why can't the have it in section N with all the heid-the-baws? 

12 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

I'm in my mid 50's and I've always been very pro anything that gets the fans singing decent songs and improving the atmosphere.

The Gorgie Ultras is probably the best group we've had at Tynecastle since I've been going to games. I support these fans 100%.

I just hope they have a reserve drummer if the main bloke is ever injured. 🥁

Let's hope Hampden police don't confiscate it like what happened to my brothers flag at 86 semi v Dundee United. 

Let’s be honest it’s a slightly more organised version of the shed. We all congregated in the shed and that’s where the singing came from. If you weren’t into standing and singing the old stand or the benches were there.

As a lad you started on the benches then moved along until you made the shed. I guess the ultras will be the same, kids will like what they see and want to be a part of it and it’ll grow. The club really need to embrace it, it’s what the younger fans want and they’re the new generation coming through. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Maroon Platoon or **** off. Thankfully boy got fed up with his drum against Livingston.

The Tynecastle roar is far more motivating than any song or any drum 

LarrysRightFoot

I hope like others have said the club do embrace it. I know Ann was all about presenting us as a family club and yes we need to be welcoming to families but we need atmosphere as well. 

The Hogfather
28 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

I'd be pissed off if I had owned a season ticket in a section of the stadium for a lengthy number of years and was told to move because a newly formed  group of the young team wanted to get it going. It seems to be popular but why can't the have it in section N with all the heid-the-baws? 

Because all the noise comes from one end of the ground. And the club don't want them beside the away fans.

I really don't understand what's so hard to get about this.

8 hours ago, savage said:

A year older but if these young bucks can raise the roof then i am fully behind them

Im 62 and remember the days of great singing and supporting the boys, this new trend can only be a good practice.

3 minutes ago, sac said:

What if they all come down with laryngitis one week? Shed boys will need to come out of retirement 😳

I’m ready for one night only… no sure we should sing the old shed songs however 😮

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m ready for one night only… no sure we should sing the old shed songs however 😮

There's always White Christmas, not heard that sung in years. If the younger generation don't know the words there is always Google. 

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

There's always White Christmas, not heard that sung in years. If the younger generation don't know the words there is always Google. 

Right time of year for it…. I’m up for it!

12 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Because all the noise comes from one end of the ground. And the club don't want them beside the away fans.

I really don't understand what's so hard to get about this.

Fair enough about not wanting them too close to the away fans. 

Since we're being rude now, please don't be surprised if hundreds of folk who have bought the same seat for years get angry when asked to go move to accommodate something that's been going for about 15 minutes and is about 15 years behind their peers. 

• davemclaren changed the title to The Hearts Ultras ( merged )