Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

Exception not the rule sadly

Agree. Just before his injury he was in the best form of his career and for a while looked like he could be first code ahead of Walker. Sadly, he never got back to that, whether due to the injury disruption or something else, but he'll not be a miss next season.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacDonald Jardine

Why would you think it's a bluff ? he's been over there so can't really see it being a bluff, he will earn way more over in American that he makes here , remember Hearts did,t pay win bonuses once they returned to the Prem which went down like a lead balloon with the players at the time so financially he will be better of,so your laughing head should be an embarrassed one but we will see , I still hope he signs

To be fair they wouldn't have earned many win bonuses last year anyway,

Telfer had a couple of appearances for Rangers first team. Nicholson has 100+ for Hearts. Full development fee if he goes to a rival club.

The club will have written off his value for accounting purposes anyway.

Since he was signed as a youth player, I doubt he'll ever have had any value on the balance sheet.

They may, however, factored in getting something for him when projecting cash flows.

Lol.. Should call wee Sam's bluff. Hes no intention of going to the States.. However it transpires what an utterly bizarre voluntary step down if he genuinely wants to go to the sheep

Not so sure it's a bluff more a last resort I imo

Why would you think it's a bluff ? he's been over there so can't really see it being a bluff, he will earn way more over in American that he makes here , remember Hearts did,t pay win bonuses once they returned to the Prem which went down like a lead balloon with the players at the time so financially he will be better of,so your laughing head should be an embarrassed one but we will see , I still hope he signs

I'm not convinced Nicholson would say earn more in the MLS than he does now (or could do in Scotland).

I also reckon his interest in a move to the US is (was...) genuine enough to merit a visit in good faith, but that he may ultimately decide he's better staying here (or the move may not actually work out properly). Similar to McGinn's visit to Houston before signing for the Vermin.

LogicalEric

I'm not convinced Nicholson would say earn more in the MLS than he does now (or could do in Scotland).

I also reckon his interest in a move to the US is (was...) genuine enough to merit a visit in good faith, but that he may ultimately decide he's better staying here (or the move may not actually work out properly). Similar to McGinn's visit to Houston before signing for the Vermin.

McGinn wanted to sign for Houston, luckily for Hibs red tape scuppered his move.

McGinn wanted to sign for Houston, luckily for Hibs red tape scuppered his move.

Indeed. The deal didn't work out properly. However, I've seen similar suggestions that he was "at it" to try and reduce the fee any Scottish club would have to pay.

LogicalEric

Indeed. The deal didn't work out properly. However, I've seen similar suggestions that he was "at it" to try and reduce the fee any Scottish club would have to pay.

St Mirren got ?120k from memory plus a 35% sell on clause for McGinn. Think they've done pretty well out of the deal.

Not so sure it's a bluff more a last resort I imo

Last option surely would be the contract on offer at us that can't be taken off the table?

St Mirren got ?120k from memory plus a 35% sell on clause for McGinn. Think they've done pretty well out of the deal.

Not it he hopefully walks for sod all in a couple years?

LogicalEric

Not it he hopefully walks for sod all in a couple years?

Very doubtful, Wouldn't be suprised if Celtic make a move for him in this window.

Very doubtful, Wouldn't be suprised if Celtic make a move for him in this window.

No danger. He's pretty shite and runs funny.

LogicalEric

No danger. He's pretty shite and runs funny.

They've been looking at him for the last 6 months so they seem to rate him fairly highly.

They've been looking at him for the last 6 months so they seem to rate him fairly highly.

Boot washer now Allan's off to a better side than Hibs.

Celtic have sights on Europe though so I don't see McGinn being the answer there. Wouldn't be surprised if they threw Hibs some spare change and a loan player for him though and use him for the domestic tournaments.

However, if Hibs carry on selling their decent players and replacing them with worse (e.g. Murray for Cummings) the natives will start revolting again soon enough! Have they found a goalie yet? Their squad is even more threadbare than ours right now.

upgotheheads

I've said this before.

Would anyone be particularly worried if Sam was playing against us? How often did he sclaff good opportunities wide? How often did he set off on diagonal runs with no end product? How often did he turn a game in our favour?

I've no doubt that management would have liked to keep him, but only as a squad player at the appropriate salary.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've said this before.

Would anyone be particularly worried if Sam was playing against us? How often did he sclaff good opportunities wide? How often did he set off on diagonal runs with no end product? How often did he turn a game in our favour?

I've no doubt that management would have liked to keep him, but only as a squad player at the appropriate salary.

Nicholson is the easiest player in the world to defend against. Simply cut off the inside run and give him the space down the wing. Waste possession and no harm down.

I've said this before.

He's not developed a as expected and only really against Hamilton at Tynecastle did he look like a match winner this season.

It's a disappointment for both ourselves and the player that things haven't gone as they should.

If this is the type of player Aberdeen are rebuilding with though I shall be quietly pleased.

Escobar PHM

No no we dont. We can insist on the full compo due and we absolutely should. Its a fixed amount and we should not accept less. As above they just raked in over 1m

It is NOT a fixed amount for a transfer between 2 Scottish clubs. If we cant negotiate and reach a settlement with Aberdeen it will go to a tribunal who will decide how much. No logarithm or fixed amount decided by FIFA rules.

Escobar PHM

To another team in scotland, its the development fee we're due or bolt

Doesn't matter how often you say it mate. You're still wrong.

We cant stop a free agent signing for whoever he wants and we wouldn't be in full knowledge of how much compo we would get. I imagine  we'd bite their hand off for ?200k. Around ?120k less than we'd get from a cross border transfer.

You are some man Nicky :lol:

I hope Sam stays as well, but if he's any intention to do so he really should stop pissing the club about.

Doesn't matter how often you say it mate. You're still wrong.

We cant stop a free agent signing for whoever he wants and we wouldn't be in full knowledge of how much compo we would get. I imagine we'd bite their hand off for ?200k. Around ?120k less than we'd get from a cross border transfer.

Point being i would tell them to bolt and go to tribunal I wouldnt accept a derisory offer or negotiate one. Your second point about cross border transfers i suggest you do your research

Escobar PHM

Point being i would tell them to bolt and go to tribunal I wouldnt accept a derisory offer or negotiate one. Your second point about cross border transfers i suggest you do your research

Done it mate. See various Calum Paterson threads over the year. If we go to a tribunal it could easily be heard after the windows shuts. Not ideal for us.

Done it mate. See various Calum Paterson threads over the year. If we go to a tribunal it could easily be heard after the windows shuts. Not ideal for us.

Your reaearch is based on a thread on kb?

Escobar PHM

Your reaearch is based on a thread on kb?

No its based on whats on the FIFA website relating to training compensation. Easy to find. Get back to me when you've read it

maroonnicky63

yeh good point really

GorgieBoysAreInTown

He's going to the States FACT. He's booked to fly out next week. His girl flys 4 weeks later.

Hahaha this made me chuckle!!!

nothing is booked just yet.

Jambo 4 Ever

He's going to the States FACT. He's booked to fly out next week. His girl flys 4 weeks later.

source?

I know it's an aside from the point in hand but it does beg the question as to whether removing the monetary incentive for winning games was a bad mistake.

Even if the players remuneration was broadly the same over the season, the feeling of having earned the bonus is definitely important and it also rewards progression in the Cups where bonuses should probably be higher to act as a greater incentive.

GorgieBoysAreInTown

What's happening Sam?

Not quite, but I'll be sure to correct wrongful 'claims' when I know there 100% garbage.

The deal isn't over the line yet never mind Young Sammy booking his flights.

Hahaha this made me chuckle!!!

nothing is booked just yet.

Isn't it? So you'll know he's got a pick from several houses? I know he's not told them which one he'll take. The development fee. It's not really a case that people won't pay it, it's having an impact on the package offered. The USA is currently his most lucrative option.

Watt-Zeefuik

Not quite, but I'll be sure to correct wrongful 'claims' when I know there 100% garbage.

The deal isn't over the line yet never mind Young Sammy booking his flights.

Any other news simmering that you might let us in on?

GorgieBoysAreInTown

A deal hasn't been 100% completed yet so why an earth would anyone book flights? What if something else creeps up regarding another club in the next week, highly unlikely but still possible!

The lad done his best for us for years and I thank him for that , wish him all the best for the future time for us all to move on.

Rudolf's Mate

A deal hasn't been 100% completed yet so why an earth would anyone book flights? What if something else creeps up regarding another club in the next week, highly unlikely but still possible!

I've not included your other post bud and I'm in no way rubbishing your claims nor am I doing so with the other poster.

Re the flights. Surely it's not unusual for a player to fly over and have a look around/have them possibly look at him (just guessing on that part).

GorgieBoysAreInTown

I've not included your other post bud and I'm in no way rubbishing your claims nor am I doing so with the other poster.

Re the flights. Surely it's not unusual for a player to fly over and have a look around/have them possibly look at him (just guessing on that part).

He's already been over for that. He's seen the place and they want him without a doubt. The evening news done a good article on him being over etc. It's now just getting the deal finalised.

Good luck Sammy boy, I wish him well!

GorgieBoysAreInTown

He's already been over for that. He's seen the place and they want him without a doubt. The evening news done a good article on him being over etc. It's now just getting the deal finalised.

Rudolf's Mate

[emoji1303]

If I had the choice of Aberdeen or going there I know which is choose.

Watt-Zeefuik

[emoji1303]

Good thing MLS is a summer season -- he'll be able to come home to Edinburgh in January to warm up! :lol:

Rudolf's Mate

Good thing MLS is a summer season -- he'll be able to come home to Edinburgh in January to warm up! :lol:

[emoji23]

IveSeenTheLight

[emoji1303]

I don;t know enough about Minneapolis.

Interesting that they play at the TCF Bank Stadium

1024px-TCF_Bank_Stadium_-_Minnesota_Gold

Conditions look suited to Nicholsons skills ;)

mnunitedopener.jpg

USATSI_9938453.jpg?itok=S8wMWOAO&c=de312

The Future's Maroon

Their new stadium looks stunning...can't post image, just google it...oooft.

Their new stadium looks stunning...can't post image, just google it...oooft.

It's nothing special for me

151515.png

Good luck Sam, you and your girlfriend will LOVE the life over here, despite the fact ye cannae get a decent pint, fish supper or deep fried mars bar - best wishes on your fantastic opportunity :sunny:  

Archived