Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

I leave the set-ups on purpose buddy.

I don't mind

The other question I have folk moaning about the offer being made being not good enough.

What is Sam worth as a, what, 1 in 5 game impact player at a club like hours with a tight budget?

?1250- 1500 a week?

It's important performance and effort are rewarded

Seems with the Walker statement that is the set up at Hearts which is what I would expect with those in charge at Hearts

It's important for encouraging the right behaviours at the club including the youngsters

So yes Sam needs to improve his game and whether it's another club it will likely be the same

He hasn't done enough at Hearts

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watt-Zeefuik

Apparently scoring a screamer to help open up a constricted game late and defeat our fiercest rivals isn't enough of a big game for some people, so I'll mention our first game back at Celtic Park after promotion.  I've mentioned this elsewhere but Celtic harassed Paterson into a yellow card early and then drove the entire offense down the left side to try to break through him.  Nicholson's task became sitting back and helping cover and the two together put in an absolutely immense defensive performance that calmly shut out the light every time down the side.

Nicholson then broke behind the defence in injury time and only a professional red from Ambrose preserved the draw for Celtic, otherwise we likely would have stolen three points from Glasgow.

MOTM performance for me.  There are others as well, but I don't see how you get much bigger than an Edinburgh derby or a game at Celtic.

kingantti1874

Apparently scoring a screamer to help open up a constricted game late and defeat our fiercest rivals isn't enough of a big game for some people, so I'll mention our first game back at Celtic Park after promotion. I've mentioned this elsewhere but Celtic harassed Paterson into a yellow card early and then drove the entire offense down the left side to try to break through him. Nicholson's task became sitting back and helping cover and the two together put in an absolutely immense defensive performance that calmly shut out the light every time down the side.

Nicholson then broke behind the defence in injury time and only a professional red from Ambrose preserved the draw for Celtic, otherwise we likely would have stolen three points from Glasgow.

MOTM performance for me. There are others as well, but I don't see how you get much bigger than an Edinburgh derby or a game at Celtic.

Exception not the rule sadly

jamboinglasgow

What's the deal with Lewis Moore, is he ready for the step up? Looked decent in last game of last season

I do think he will make the step up this season, wont be first choice but will be back up. Has 35 apperances at Cowdenbeath on loan. Also if he is back up, he is still eligible for under 20s next season.

I do think Zanatta will be the other back up and think he will surprise some next season.

IveSeenTheLight

Hasn't improved in about 3 years.

Pish.

Good luck to him but to my mind no great loss.

Seemed to lose his way in the last few years and essentially became a passenger most times I saw him in the team over the last couple of years.

With this in mind, would you accept a lower offer than the development fee rather than lose him to the MLS for nothing.

I'm hearing Aberdeen are interested again in bringing SN to Pittodrie..

It could be like when John McGinn was about to go to an MLS side and then St Mirren accepted a nominal fee rather than let go for nothing

Rudolf's Mate

With this in mind, would you accept a lower offer than the development fee rather than lose him to the MLS for nothing.

I'm hearing Aberdeen are interested again in bringing SN to Pittodrie..

It could be like when John McGinn was about to go to an MLS side and then St Mirren accepted a nominal fee rather than let go for nothing

Did you hear it elsewhere or was it from the other thread on here posted an hour ago?

IveSeenTheLight

Did you hear it elsewhere or was it from the other thread on here posted an hour ago?

Heard it elsewhere, from a guy who has been pretty spot on before.

Called DM turning down Sunderland hours before it was announced.

He's also called Maloney signing for Aberdeen on a one year deal with an option of a second.

Rudolf's Mate

Heard it elsewhere, from a guy who has been pretty spot on before.

Called DM turning down Sunderland hours before it was announced.

He's also called Maloney signing for Aberdeen on a one year deal with an option of a second.

Sounding like there something to it then.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Sam would break at Aberdeen. He will be off to the States as planned I am sure

Captain America

Less than half hour walk from Pittodrie to the nearest Nando's.

Could be something in this.

Aberdeen can pay the compensation due or he doesnt go there. There should be no negotiation on the the compo

We know they have the money for Hayes, so why even entertain a negotiation.

If they got ?1.2M for Hayes ?300k(which was around what was reported as his development fee) sounds about right for Nicholson. As with Rangers, pay it or jog on.

Escobar PHM

Daft signing IMO. He's done very little since season 12/13 with Wigan.

Be lucky to get 15 games out of him. He's made of glass !!

Escobar PHM

Aberdeen can pay the compensation due or he doesnt go there. There should be no negotiation on the the compo

We don't have a choice about whether he goes there. He's a free agent. We cant stop Aberdeen signing him and we'll HAVE TO negotiate with them for the compo. (not that I think he is going there. He's done nothing to warrant such a move)

If Aberdeen were genuinely thinking of challenging Rangers and us over the long-term, they'd use the Hayes money to bid the 1m asking price for Walker. It would be a good signing for them in many ways. In fact they could get SN and Jamie for the price of Hayes.

They've lost Pawlett, Hayes and McGinn so need wingers/attacking mids. Nicolson to them for a small fee would make sense but it wouldn't strengthen them or weaken us to any major degree.

We don't have a choice about whether he goes there. He's a free agent. We cant stop Aberdeen signing him and we'll HAVE TO negotiate with them for the compo. (not that I think he is going there. He's done nothing to warrant such a move)

No no we dont. We can insist on the full compo due and we absolutely should. Its a fixed amount and we should not accept less. As above they just raked in over 1m

No no we dont. We can insist on the full compo due and we absolutely should. Its a fixed amount and we should not accept less. As above they just raked in over 1m

No it's not.  It would go to a tribunal if a development fee was not agreed.  I don't think a tribunal would factor in Aberdeen selling a player either. 

magicjohnston

No it's not. It would go to a tribunal if a development fee was not agreed. I don't think a tribunal would factor in Aberdeen selling a player either.

Well it would be a big risk for Aberdeen. Dundee United got stung with Charlie telfer from Rangers. Think he cost them ?400,000 in the end.

So I would expect Similar for Sam. If the sheep want him for 150,000. They can do one.

No it's not. It would go to a tribunal if a development fee was not agreed. I don't think a tribunal would factor in Aberdeen selling a player either.

Nor would they factor in the "no development fee from the USA" either. If Sam goes to Aberdeen, or anywhere else on these shores, we should maximise what we are due.

Well it would be a big risk for Aberdeen. Dundee United got stung with Charlie telfer from Rangers. Think he cost them ?400,000 in the end.

So I would expect Similar for Sam. If the sheep want him for 150,000. They can do one.

Hearts have valued Nicholson at the same amount as Paterson, I personally don't see that as being realistic in terms of how the players have developed.  Would just have to wait and see I suppose but ?400k to a championship side as a full International is the benchmark. 

The Dons are welcome to have Sam. 

Nowhere near good enough for a club looking to go places.

IveSeenTheLight

Telfer went for ?170k + VAT.

That was from SevCo and we know about their inflated pricing ;)

As I said, too much hardball from Hearts and Aberdeen will walk away to potentially let Nicholson leave for nothing.

So the question is, how much would Hearts accept before risking nothing at all?

As I said, too much hardball from Hearts and Aberdeen will walk away to potentially let Nicholson leave for nothing.

Feck me.

The sheep now think they're the old Rangers!

Hearts have valued Nicholson at the same amount as Paterson, I personally don't see that as being realistic in terms of how the players have developed.  Would just have to wait and see I suppose but ?400k to a championship side as a full International is the benchmark. 

That's not Hearts value. That's how the development fee works. I would imagine Hearts would take anything north of 150 grand in a second. I'd be quite surprised if we got that tbh. But Aberdeen do have money sloshing around now so maybe they'll come in for him. We got Souttar for 170 grand and I think he's got a much bigger future in the game than SN.

IveSeenTheLight

Feck me.

The sheep now think they're the old Rangers!

Take that back.

An insult of the highest order.

We are in no way thinking we are anything like them.

Its a negotiation, a compromise will be achieved or it will not.

To another team in scotland, its the development fee we're due or bolt

I'd rather lose Nicholson for nothing than accept a lower fee from a rival club where he can do damage against us next season.

magicjohnston

You're right. Looked it up there and it it was ?204,000. Not sure where I got 400,000. But I remember thinking at the time fee was nuts for what telfer had achieved. But I'd think that Sam should be going for a much higher figure than 150,000.

Although it was Rangers overinflated fee, it was a tribunal that agreed that it should be ?204,000. So using that as a bench mark. I'd be Hoping hearts demand more than that.

We should be holding out for atleast 300,000. And I personally don't think he's worth that. And if this is the type of signing Aberdeen want, in quite happy as I think he's a step backwards.

IveSeenTheLight

We should be holding out for atleast 300,000. And I personally don't think he's worth that. 

You reckon you should hold out for ?300k, yet believe he is not worth it.

If the stories / offers are true you'd get ?0 if he went stateside.

Hence why I think a compromise in the middle is a more realistic outcome.

if this is the type of signing Aberdeen want, in quite happy as I think he's a step backwards.

Well, DM has a reputation of getting the most out of players whom have not been at their career best elsewhere.

Maybe he could get more out of SN, than RN or IC.

Take that back.

An insult of the highest order.

We are in no way thinking we are anything like them.

Its a negotiation, a compromise will be achieved or it will not.

U21 International - be prepared to pay the development fee or GTF. Simples.

If you don't want to be compared to the deid Rangers then stop behaving like them.

the big show

I'd rather lose Nicholson for nothing than accept a lower fee from a rival club where he can do damage against us next season.

Aye but the biggest majority on here say he is not good enough ? So why would we need to bother about a player that is not good enough, honestly you talk about wanting your cake with jam on it . it is actually quite embarrassing how folk can change there tune so quick about a player they do not rate ..

Telfer had a couple of appearances for Rangers first team. Nicholson has 100+ for Hearts. Full development fee if he goes to a rival club.

The club will have written off his value for accounting purposes anyway.

Telfer had a couple of appearances for Rangers first team. Nicholson has 100+ for Hearts. Full development fee if he goes to a rival club.

The club will have written off his value for accounting purposes anyway.

Souttar had 70 appearances for Dundee Utd. Look how much he went for. That's more realistic as you are looking at identical situations.

magicjohnston

You reckon you should hold out for ?300k, yet believe he is not worth it.

If the stories / offers are true you'd get ?0 if he went stateside.

Hence why I think a compromise in the middle is a more realistic outcome.

Well, DM has a reputation of getting the most out of players whom have not been at their career best elsewhere.

Maybe he could get more out of SN, than RN or IC.

Yea but I don't think telfer was worth 204,000. And there are plenty of other players that go for money I don't think they are worth. The point is the compensation system is there for a reason and going by the rules sam is worth in the region of 3-400,000. Apparently. So while I don't think he is worth that, the compensation system says he is.

And I hope hearts hold out for what they are due/call Aberdeens bluff.

Yea but I don't think telfer was worth 204,000. And there are plenty of other players that go for money I don't think they are worth. The point is the compensation system is there for a reason and going by the rules sam is worth in the region of 3-400,000. Apparently. So while I don't think he is worth that, the compensation system says he is.

And I hope hearts hold out for what they are due/call Aberdeens bluff.

Why would he be ruled in the same bracket as a full Scotland international who has went to an English championship club? That's the part I don't get.

One final point on the risk of getting nothing point made by Imanuttertrumpet, Hearts can simply let it go to tribunal if he signs for another Scottish club.

Any fee is now a bonus, so we are as well continuing to demand the full fee even if the alternative is nothing.

As an aside honestly can't wait for Aberdeen to regress back to being utter horseshit as they have been for the vast majority of the past 20 years.

What do you expect him to do, exactly?

he isn't getting a game, clearly the fans think have decided he is hopeless and he has exercised his right to leave.

Sign the deal that Hearts offered him, knuckle down and get fit also get down the gym and put some muscle on to go with his undoubted talent.

Sam looks like a young player who has believed in his own hype and thinks he's already made it, he's still young and talented enough to change all that.

Souttar had 70 appearances for Dundee Utd. Look how much he went for. That's more realistic as you are looking at identical situations.

Souttar wasn't out of contract, Hearts had a bid accepted.

magicjohnston

Why would he be ruled in the same bracket as a full Scotland international who has went to an English championship club? That's the part I don't get.

Yea that's true I don't know. I just read it a few times earlier in the thread and took it as gospel as I thought it was from a newspaper article. I may well be wrong.

Got to laugh at the sheeps over inflated opinion of themselves. If you lot are genuinely trying to sign Sam ****ing Nicholson, that says everything about where you are as a club.

If Aberdeen aren't willing to meet the fee he can always re-sign. I rate Sam very highly. He clearly hasn't been at his best in the last few months but then who has?

IveSeenTheLight

One final point on the risk of getting nothing point made by Imanuttertrumpet, Hearts can simply let it go to tribunal if he signs for another Scottish club.

Any fee is now a bonus, so we are as well continuing to demand the full fee even if the alternative is nothing.

As an aside honestly can't wait for Aberdeen to regress back to being utter horseshit as they have been for the vast majority of the past 20 years.

Yep, we were pretty poor for a couple of decades.

Relatively pretty decent over our entire existence though, but lets not go down that path

IveSeenTheLight

If Aberdeen aren't willing to meet the fee he can always re-sign. I rate Sam very highly. He clearly hasn't been at his best in the last few months but then who has?

Rumours that Barnsley and Bristol City are also interested.

If they are, then surely they will be able to lure SN and you would get your compensation

Souttar wasn't out of contract, Hearts had a bid accepted.

Yep, he had longer on his contract and still got sold for under ?200k. Shows why "demanding" double that for a player deemed shite by many on this thread is ludicrous

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Triple runners up. Aberdeen are clearly new Rangers. Love a deal with Celtic as well. All very Rangers

kingantti1874

Lol.. Should call wee Sam's bluff. Hes no intention of going to the States.. However it transpires what an utterly bizarre voluntary step down if he genuinely wants to go to the sheep

maroonnicky63

Using America as a bluff :lol: Go to America then Sam.

Using America as a bluff :lol: Go to America then Sam.

Why would you think it's a bluff ? he's been over there so can't really see it being a bluff, he will earn way more over in American that he makes here , remember Hearts did,t pay win bonuses once they returned to the Prem which went down like a lead balloon with the players at the time so financially he will be better of,so your laughing head should be an embarrassed one but we will see , I still hope he signs

Archived