• The Mighty Thor

• Victorian

• JudyJudyJudy

• Cade

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HartleyLegend3
On 05/11/2021 at 10:44, Victorian said:

I think it's the idea time for Labour to move towards a policy of devo-max for Scotland and maybe the other devolved nations.  Quite possibly to also suggest a more open conversation about independence.  Maybe suggest that they,  in government,  would not stand in the way if certain tests are met.  I believe there is a portion of SNP support who are currently sceptical of independence right now or soon.  Devo-max with borrowing powers within a UK framework may just be the solution to the short term question of independence.  

I agree with you but that will never happen. On the face of it, Labour are a bunch of soft lefties but behind the scenes, grassroot union types, they are a bunch of nasty right wing minded bigots. Funny handshakes who probably all voted for brexit. 

43 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Rory Stewart was one of Paterson's character withesses. He comes across as being a typical Tory.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5802/cmselect/cmstandards/797/79705.htm

section 11.8 - would describe that more as his recollection of events as opposed to a ringing endorsement of his character. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
16 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

section 11.8 - would describe that more as his recollection of events as opposed to a ringing endorsement of his character. 

Fair enough. I wonder if he has any insights as to why Paterson's wife committed suicide on his birthday? Might be a story there.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Reports are surfacing that many Tory MPs were threatened with the withholding of constituency funding unless they voted with the Government in the sleaze affair.

This is blackmail. And a misuse of public funds.

Also, the sheer amount of Tory donors being made Lords is being looked into.

Seems that there is indeed a minimum donations threshold to get a peerage.

Selling seats in the upper house, effectively.

You donate £3million, they appoint you as party Treasurer, then they make you a Lord.

Over the last decade, the Tories have appointed 16 Treasurers, all of whom had been party donors, and all of whom now sit in the Lords.

In addition to this, a further 22 major party donors have simply been given Peerages, without even attempting to hide it through the "fake treasurer" method.

The UK is a banana republic.

I think this Owen Paterson business has damaged BoJo and the Tories more than they thought it would/has.

Surely they won't be stupid enough to try and make Paterson a peer, surely they must know that this, even for them, would be a step too far.

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

QjKss_94?format=jpg&name=small

"Boris Johnson has pulled off a Brexit deal which many thought him incapable of negotiating

2020 has been a tough year, but the Prime Minister has notched up a victory that history will remember him for..."

Next week Frost goes into bat for his NIP to fend off a threat of a trade war. Some "victory"...

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think this Owen Paterson business has damaged BoJo and the Tories more than they thought it would/has.

Surely they won't be stupid enough to try and make Paterson a peer, surely they must know that this, even for them, would be a step too far.

+1 - totally indefensible, has a last days of disco feel to it.

24 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

+1 - totally indefensible, has a last days of disco feel to it.

You'd like to think so but I'm not sure. Is Labour a government in waiting? Because people will only switch to them if they seem credible. I also think they've permanently lost Scotland, through ignorance and contempt.

1 minute ago, jambogaza said:

You'd like to think so but I'm not sure. Is Labour a government in waiting? Because people will only switch to them if they seem credible. I also think they've permanently lost Scotland, through ignorance and contempt.

You make a good point. Listened to Starmer this morning on Andrew Marr show and he barely laid a punch. Problem for him is he has screamed wolf so many times no one listen to him any more. His answer to everything is committee, committee, inquiry. Absolutely no leadership or charisma at all.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You would think. However their strategy will be like all the other scandals in Johnson's short reign, hunker down, ride out the news cycle and carry on regardless.

The disdain for Parliament, the electorate, public standards, general decency is staggering. 

They think they're untouchable, because they are. The folks that voted them in think he's doing a grand job, as do all his mates and sponsors who are hoovering up contracts and peerages. 

SectionDJambo
16 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You would think. However their strategy will be like all the other scandals in Johnson's short reign, hunker down, ride out the news cycle and carry on regardless.

The disdain for Parliament, the electorate, public standards, general decency is staggering. 

They think they're untouchable, because they are. The folks that voted them in think he's doing a grand job, as do all his mates and sponsors who are hoovering up contracts and peerages. 

It's a storm in a teacup seemingly. They've just been misunderstood.

It had nothing to do with getting Paterson off or trying to get rid of a standards committee chairwoman who is going to be asking some very awkward questions soon about covid contracts, a flat refurbishment and free holidays from Tory financial friends.

I would expect her, having refused to resign after the triumphant crooks demanded she did while they were wallowing in their short lived victory, to really get stuck into her investigations with renewed vigour.

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It's a storm in a teacup seemingly. They've just been misunderstood.

It had nothing to do with getting Paterson off or trying to get rid of a standards committee chairwoman who is going to be asking some very awkward questions soon about covid contracts, a flat refurbishment and free holidays from Tory financial friends.

I would expect her, having refused to resign after the triumphant crooks demanded she did while they were wallowing in their short lived victory, to really get stuck into her investigations with renewed vigour.

Oh they'll go after Kathryn Stone again for sure. Probably through the press, the Heil or the Torygraph. 

They'll get their way, they've got too big a majority and not enough of them have the balls to do what's right. 

14 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

29252472-49FA-4BDB-BCD4-4BFF864DE5BA.jpeg

But the thing with this bunch is that they don’t even hide half of what they’re up to. And what they do hide is easy to find. 
Look at Johnson’s expensive holiday. Goldsmith loses his seat as an MP so Johnson makes him a peer. The payback? Free holidays at his £25k per week property in Spain. Not even hidden. 
And then there’s the bizarre side story of elements of the government and the Jockey Club scratching each other’s backs. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

For now they are, but that will come to an end, at some point, it always does.

I just feel that the public mood is changing towards them, however as another poster rightly said something will need to change with Labour for enough people to vote for Labour.  Starmer needs to grow a pair, they all do, no point in going on TV and criticising the government and then when asked what Labour would do answer emm ah umm err mmm Tories bad umm err ahh Tories bad, and that's what happens, the number of open goals Labour get and don't take the shot is unbelieveable, that's not what the public want to see in a government in waiting.

If Labour ever want to get into power again, they need to start acting like they actually do want to get into power again.

I know he's not everybody's flavour but Blair would be ripping Johnson et al a new one everyday, so would have John Smith.

Until Labour get's their act together the Tories are untouchable, but surely that will come to an end...........surely.

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I just feel that the public mood is changing towards them, however as another poster rightly said something will need to change with Labour for enough people to vote for Labour.  Starmer needs to grow a pair, they all do, no point in going on TV and criticising the government and then when asked what Labour would do answer emm ah umm err mmm Tories bad umm err ahh Tories bad, and that's what happens, the number of open goals Labour get and don't take the shot is unbelieveable, that's not what the public want to see in a government in waiting.

If Labour ever want to get into power again, they need to start acting like they actually do want to get into power again.

I know he's not everybody's flavour but Blair would be ripping Johnson et al a new one everyday, so would have John Smith.

Until Labour get's their act together the Tories are untouchable, but surely that will come to an end...........surely.

Labour won't get in power for a very long time.

Starmer was on TV this morning and his answer to the country going to rat shit was 'make Brexit work'.

So his idea to mark himself out from the most corrupt and inept shower is to er.....keep on keeping on. 

They also need the 50 odd seats in Scotland and they've got no chance, literally not a hope in hell. 

The fact they lost seats in places that have never returned a Tory MP should have been a wake up. It should have been a cause for some serious introspection but naw we'll wheel out the political equivalent of Keith from accounts to get his arse handed to him week in week out by Billy liar.

Starmer fits Labour perfectly. 

WorldChampions1902
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Reports are surfacing that many Tory MPs were threatened with the withholding of constituency funding unless they voted with the Government in the sleaze affair.

This is blackmail. And a misuse of public funds.

Also, the sheer amount of Tory donors being made Lords is being looked into.

Seems that there is indeed a minimum donations threshold to get a peerage.

Selling seats in the upper house, effectively.

You donate £3million, they appoint you as party Treasurer, then they make you a Lord.

Over the last decade, the Tories have appointed 16 Treasurers, all of whom had been party donors, and all of whom now sit in the Lords.

In addition to this, a further 22 major party donors have simply been given Peerages, without even attempting to hide it through the "fake treasurer" method.

The UK is a banana republic.

There is now an established pattern of behaviour with this Junta that is deeply troubling. Whether it’s unconstitutional Prorogation of Parliament, bungs for wallpaper, ‘gifted’ £25k a night Airbnb’s or the Paterson scandal et al, this shower (rightly believe) they can act with impunity.

In normal times, an effective opposition would have destroyed this corrupt Tory Party but sadly, Labour leadership has the spine of a jellyfish. The only way I see anything changing is if Clownshoes and his troupe overstep the mark so grotesquely, that it literally brings the government down. Straw-clutching in the extreme, given the ‘admiration’ that still exists for good old Boris. He literally can still do no wrong in the eyes of the cultists. Depressing.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

46 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Starmer was on TV this morning and his answer to the country going to rat shit was 'make Brexit work'.

So his idea to mark himself out from the most corrupt and inept shower is to er.....keep on keeping on. 

They also need the 50 odd seats in Scotland and they've got no chance, literally not a hope in hell. 

The fact they lost seats in places that have never returned a Tory MP should have been a wake up. It should have been a cause for some serious introspection but naw we'll wheel out the political equivalent of Keith from accounts to get his arse handed to him week in week out by Billy liar.

I often do wonder, if Labour actually wants to be in power, as you say the most corrupt useless and u-turn every minute government we have had since...............well ever......or certainly in my lifetime, and Labour can't lay a glove on them, it's puzzling.

52 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It seems to me he's banking on still getting "Remain Labour" voters while he sucks up to  the lost "red wall" voters. He's making a big mistake and Labour will get crucified in England at the next GE. "Remain" voters are not going to accept this BS : no one can make brexit work. 

Starmer is a damned fine lawyer, but never a top rate politician.

Labour are spending too much of their energy fighting each other to be a threat to the Mafia that are currently running the place.

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It seems to me he's banking on still getting "Remain Labour" voters while he sucks up to  the lost "red wall" voters. He's making a big mistake and Labour will get crucified in England at the next GE. "Remain" voters are not going to accept this BS : no one can make brexit work. 

Totally agree. Starmer is making a colossal tactical error thinking he can back Brexit and get into power - all to appease a relatively small proportion of their potential voter base in the “Red Wall” areas. Absolute madness, especially as each day passes, more and more voters are seeing Brexit for what it is and wish they had never voted Leave.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

22 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

You make a good point. Listened to Starmer this morning on Andrew Marr show and he barely laid a punch. Problem for him is he has screamed wolf so many times no one listen to him any more. His answer to everything is committee, committee, inquiry. Absolutely no leadership or charisma at all.

He is pathetic. He looks the part. All very polished and presents very well. But says nothing. He doesnt connect with the ordinary Labour voters now. Thats been Labours problem for a very long time. They lost that connection with their core support. They will never get it back. 

18 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

True 

31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He is pathetic. He looks the part. All very polished and presents very well. But says nothing. He doesnt connect with the ordinary Labour voters now. Thats been Labours problem for a very long time. They lost that connection with their core support. They will never get it back. 

100%. If the answer is Keir Starmer then the Labour Party are asking the wrong question!

12 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

100%. If the answer is Keir Starmer then the Labour Party are asking the wrong question!

👍

SectionDJambo
24 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

He got the job because they thought they had to be seen to go the polar opposite of the disastrous Corbyn. Corbyn is the reason why Johnson got such a huge majority. All the newspaper bias stuff against him is a smokescreen. A better, more engaged with the current UK electorate, dynamic, leader would haven risen above the Tory press trying to discredit him/her.

Labour will have to get someone more dynamic than Starmer but not a left wing dinosaur like Corbyn. It's no secret how Blair, like him loathe him, managed to keep the Tories out for years. I well remember him rag dolling IDS for fun, regularly, in the Commons.

The Labour party need to wake up to the population's expectations  having changed since the 1970s. The centre ground has to be taken.

15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

He got the job because they thought they had to be seen to go the polar opposite of the disastrous Corbyn. Corbyn is the reason why Johnson got such a huge majority. All the newspaper bias stuff against him is a smokescreen. A better, more engaged with the current UK electorate, dynamic, leader would haven risen above the Tory press trying to discredit him/her.

Labour will have to get someone more dynamic than Starmer but not a left wing dinosaur like Corbyn. It's no secret how Blair, like him loathe him, managed to keep the Tories out for years. I well remember him rag dolling IDS for fun, regularly, in the Commons.

The Labour party need to wake up to the population's expectations  having changed since the 1970s. The centre ground has to be taken.

The media crucified JC.  It helped pave the way for Johnson and the shit storm now. He  was and is a decent principled man.  He turned the Labour party around for a time but the onslaught and lies from the media ultimately impacted on JC.  

20 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Nah, the media assasination of Corbyn is what did it. Ffs there were front pages for him having a rumpled jacket, for wearing the wrong coloured tie. It was open season and the Great British public gobbled it up while being presented with Boris the loveable bumble****, harmless and amusing.

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The media crucified JC.  It helped pave the way for Johnson and the shit storm now. He  was and is a decent principled man.  He turned the Labour party around for a time but the onslaught and lies from the media ultimately impacted on JC.  

This

BJ on BBC news just now asked about Tory sleaze ( Owen Paterson )  and totally NOT answering it.   Its simple as that. He has been asked to apologise repeatedly but is just talking about Boosters jabs for Covid...!!  Hes pretty smart in that he is a master at not answering a question. ill give him that. Incredible. 

If people want rid of the Tories at the next election then the thing to concentrate on is... getting rid of the Tories.  Not the imperfect Labour Party.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  It would be better if Labour scrutiny was more effective.  It might be better if there was a more engaging leader.  But these things are largely unimportant if the purpose is to kick out the Tories.  

The Mighty Thor

Neither Johnson or Rees-Mogg can be arsed turning up to today's debate in the commons.

Johnson's apparently answered all the questions he's going to on this.

Absolute disdain for parliament and democracy.

35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nah, the media assasination of Corbyn is what did it. Ffs there were front pages for him having a rumpled jacket, for wearing the wrong coloured tie. It was open season and the Great British public gobbled it up while being presented with Boris the loveable bumble****, harmless and amusing.

Was there not Labour supporting media to counter the constant 'media assasination' of Corbyn by the Tory supporting media?

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Neither Johnson or Rees-Mogg can be arsed turning up to today's debate in the commons.

Rees- Mogg, 

Is he still alive?

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was there not Labour supporting media to counter the constant 'media assasination' of Corbyn by the Tory supporting media?

Nominally yes e.g The Guardian. Their role was to play up the anti-semitism nonsense.Day after day without one shred of evidence that he was an anti-semite. Like the BBC they gave his enemies in the party free rein to rubbish him against a backdrop of the Kremlin.  They all knew the policies were popular so had to attack the man. Did you not notice this?

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I've posted this before, but it's worth posting again, because up to now it's been true.

Right after the last GE when Corbyn had announced that he was resigning, Eric Pickles some top Tory at the time was in the Sky News studio and was asked about the candidates who would run for the Labour leaders job and who he feared out of them.

None was the reply, not even Starmer he was asked, especially Sir Keir Starmer was the reply.

Pickles added that Starmer a London based lawyer would not connect with the Labour voters in the North, wouldn't have a clue about life 'up North' and his appointment would be seen by the Northern Labour voters as just another out of touch leader from London.

Pickles went on to say who he did fear, and that was whoever came after Starmer, especially if they came from working class Northern roots, possibly even a woman and perhaps  a woman from an ethnic minority.............then I'll worry, Pickles said.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I don't see where Labour go from here - won't win anything in Scotland and their vote is hoplelessly split in England between leave/remain.

In the meantime you could pin a blue rosette on a dog turd and the Tories will vote for it.  KS won't "listen to Scotland" (whatever that means and to no good effect anyway, Im sure), he's ruled out any concerted opposition party attack on the Tories (eg single candidate) so it doesn't matter who leads Labour : they will get crucified in the next GE. 

24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Daily Mirror/Guardian ?

Against s*n/daily heil/Torygraph/Times ?

Then look at the huge number guido/TPA types  who infested the BBC over the last 6 or 7  years (who have largely disappeared , for now , but will certainly be back on BBCQT as soon as the GE starts to loom).

Huge imbalance and bias in UK media towards the Tories.

And I'm certainly not a Corbyn fan. 

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

Nominally yes e.g The Guardian. Their role was to play up the anti-semitism nonsense.Day after day without one shred of evidence that he was an anti-semite. Like the BBC they gave his enemies in the party free rein to rubbish him against a backdrop of the Kremlin.  They all knew the policies were popular so had to attack the man. Did you not notice this?

Nope, last printed news I bought was on a Sunday & Monday after a certain day in May 2012 and prior to that was probably in 2006 after another certain Saturday.  I know that the Sun & Mirror used to be Labour supporting newspapers, as for The Guardian, Observer, Telegraph etc don't have a clue, nor do I care, it's something that doesn't interest nor influence me in the slightest.

4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Daily Mirror/Guardian ?

Against s*n/daily heil/Torygraph/Times ?

Then look at the huge number guido/TPA types  who infested the BBC over the last 6 or 7  years (who have largely disappeared , for now , but will certainly be back on BBCQT as soon as the GE starts to loom).

Huge imbalance and bias in UK media towards the Tories.

And I'm certainly not a Corbyn fan. 

I know the BBC go easy on the Tories, I see that when they interview government ministers, often the same minister has just had a mauling on Sky news and then are given an easy time on the BBC right afterwards, that and many other things which the Tories seem to get an easy time from Auntie Beeb.

Newspapers, see previous answer, and all I'll add is that when I was working I often read a newspaper but these were usually just left in the canteen and often it was just a quick flick through, never bought one since 2012 and that was only for the Hearts reports and prior to that probably after the Gretna cup final, never been a buyer of newspapers.

21 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nope, last printed news I bought was on a Sunday & Monday after a certain day in May 2012 and prior to that was probably in 2006 after another certain Saturday.  I know that the Sun & Mirror used to be Labour supporting newspapers, as for The Guardian, Observer, Telegraph etc don't have a clue, nor do I care, it's something that doesn't interest nor influence me in the slightest.

I've never bought them either but i cant help noticing the banner headlines when i'm in a shop and for a long time they were full of hate for Corbyn. There is no left wing media in the Uk afaik apart from a few small circulation periodicals and a few bloggers. 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They both know that they were exposed for what they are after that corrupt vote for Paterson. They’ve been sending out their lackies since the uproar from the public to take all the flak, whilst trotting out pre rehearsed drivel and lies about their motivation for wanting the vote in the first place. 

The two of them think that the heat will die down and they can slink their way back into the chamber without coming under scrutiny for their devious actions. The two of them thought that the public would turn the usual blind eye to their corruption, but they badly misjudged how far they could go and now don’t have the courage to man up to be questioned on it.

They are a pair of absolute clowns who are only interested in self preservation and gain.