The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

jambos are go!

You missed the bit about lost in translation

Both parties involved deny what was reported

They would wouldn't they as Mandy Rice Davis would say. Many politicians take the view that something apparently said off the record can be plausibly denied for instance.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

The only people that should decide if Carmichael should go or not is the electorate of Orkney and Shetland.

Sturgeon said the memo was "100% untrue"

Seems she was lying as per the official enquiry confirming its accuracy.

Edited by GBJambo

The Comedian

Leaked a confidential document in order to smear an opponent during an election campaign.

Denied it.

Covered it up.

Got found out.

Admitted it.

He should resign.

The inquiry into this cost 1.4m according to Twitter. If that's true the fat turd should be shot out a cannon.

Edited by The Comedian

Cairneyhill Jambo

You're just making stuff up now.

Psychedelicropcircle

Straws well and truly clutched.

The inquiry into this cost 1.4m according to Twitter. If that's true the fat turd should be shot out a cannon.

:what:

And folk are asking why he should be sacked.

It just gets worse

The Comedian

:what:

And folk are asking why he should be sacked.

It just gets worse

I'll repeat that I've only seen that on Twitter.

Edited by The Comedian

I think its fair to say that having already lost 24% of his majority there is little chance of Carmichael surviving this. From what I see in the local media and social media theres a lot of people who are angry and demanding his resignation.

jambos are go!

Sturgeon has called for Carmichael to resign for leaking the paper. Whats happening to the respected Scottish Government Civil Servant who claims the minutes are accurate. Over to you Nicola!

TheMaganator

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/23/alex-salmond-eu-legal-advice-scotland

Salmond lied in and to Parliament as well as the Scottish public about getting legal advice on the EU issue.

He did that in an attempt to sway people to a Yes vote.

How many of the rabid morons calling for Carmichael to resign also called for Salmond to resign?

Sturgeon has called for Carmichael to resign for leaking the paper. Whats happening to the respected Scottish Government Civil Servant who claims the minutes are accurate. Over to you Nicola!

Wrong. She has not called for him to resign. She has said she thinks he should consider his position. And she has not said this only because he leaked the paper, but because he lied publicly and claimed he had nothing to do with it.

Crikey, it's easy to see how these inaccuracies proliferate, isn't it?

Psychedelicropcircle

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/23/alex-salmond-eu-legal-advice-scotland

Salmond lied in and to Parliament as well as the Scottish public about getting legal advice on the EU issue.

How many of the rabid morons calling for Carmichael to resign also called for Salmond to resign?

Say it out loud Carmichael was wrong....instead of the usual but but but....reeks of desperation as per

TheMaganator

Say it out loud Carmichael was wrong....instead of the usual but but but....reeks of desperation as per

Carmichael was wrong.

Did you call for Salmond's head?

Should Salmond stand down?

Psychedelicropcircle

Who did salmond smear to help keep him in a job? Then deny it then admit it ? If he had you'd have been on here having a trouser accident.

jambos are go!

Wrong. She has not called for him to resign. She has said she thinks he should consider his position. And she has not said this only because he leaked the paper, but because he lied publicly and claimed he had nothing to do with it.

Crikey, it's easy to see how these inaccuracies proliferate, isn't it?

You have failed to address the main thrust of my post. What is she doing about HER Civil Servant who is challenging her version of events? They do of course have employment rights.

TheMaganator

Who did salmond smear to help keep him in a job? Then deny it then admit it ? If he had you'd have been on here having a trouser accident.

He lied to parliament and Scotland to try to get people to vote Yes.

Should he resign?

Psychedelicropcircle

He lied to parliament and Scotland to try to get people to vote Yes.

Should he resign?

Your beloved boss says in 2010 he'd publish his tax affairs should he resign?

You have failed to address the main thrust of my post. What is she doing about HER Civil Servant who is challenging her version of events? They do of course have employment rights.

Your post is based on two inaccuracies I have pointed out to you - which you fail to acknowledge - and an assertion for which I can find no evidence anywhere that the civil servant is "challenging" her version of events. The French ambassador has said the memo was inaccurate. Sturgeon has said the same. The civil servant involved has said things may have got lost in translation, which sounds like a way of saying he cocked up.

What exactly is your problem?

TheMaganator

Your beloved boss says in 2010 he'd publish his tax affairs should he resign?

Look at your post 11303.

Can you answer the point on Salmond please.

Psychedelicropcircle

Look at your post 11303.

Can you answer the point on Salmond please.

Yes he is accused of misleading Carmichael lied.

Like you boss who has yet to publish his tax returns who also misled. Face the facts your man has smoke pouring from his tail.

jambos are go!

Your post is based on two inaccuracies I have pointed out to you - which you fail to acknowledge - and an assertion for which I can find no evidence anywhere that the civil servant is "challenging" her version of events. The French ambassador has said the memo was inaccurate. Sturgeon has said the same. The civil servant involved has said things may have got lost in translation, which sounds like a way of saying he cocked up.

What exactly is your problem?

How do you know it was a he? On Reorting Scotland they reported that the Head of the UK Civil Sevice said the respected Scottish Civil servant stood by the minutes. We have heard before that minutes were unchallenged IIRC. Saying things MAY have got lost in translation is not a denial.

TheMaganator

Yes he is accused of misleading Carmichael lied.

Like you boss who has yet to publish his tax returns who also misled. Face the facts your man has smoke pouring from his tail.

"Our lawyers say X"

He hadn't asked his lawyers.

Call it misleading if you want. It's clear he lied.

The cult of Salmond and nationalism.

How do you know it was a he? On Reorting Scotland they reported that the Head of the UK Civil Sevice said the respected Scottish Civil servant stood by the minutes. We have heard before that minutes were unchallenged IIRC. Saying things MAY have got lost in translation is not a denial.

Where is the evidence to support your claim that this civil servant is "challenging" Sturgeon? I still haven't seen it.

Even the odious Carmichael has accepted that the story was wrong, according to the BBC's website.

Are the French ambassador, Sturgeon and Carmichael all wrong?

Edited by leginten

"Our lawyers say X"

He hadn't asked his lawyers.

Call it misleading if you want. It's clear he lied.

The cult of Salmond and nationalism.

Scottish Conservativism is more in the bracket of a cult or occult.

jambos are go!

Where is the evidence to support your claim that this civil servant is "challenging" Sturgeon? I still haven't seen it.

Even the odious Carmichael has accepted that the story was wrong, according to the BBC's website.

Are the French ambassador, Sturgeon and Carmichael all wrong?

Let me say this very slowly . According to the media the Civil Servant (he or she)who wrote the minutes is standing by them. Need I say more.

Psychedelicropcircle

Scottish Conservativism is more in the bracket of a cult or occult.

He's not a Tory his last cross was layed in the labour box his entire political view is borne out of hatred for the SNP. Chocolate tory??

Let me say this very slowly . According to the media the Civil Servant (he or she)who wrote the minutes is standing by them. Need I say more.

Link please.

And let me say this s-l-o-w-l-y (this patronising game is quite easy, isn't it?). For some reason you are focusing on a civil servant who has already admitted that the memo may have been inaccurate. Why are you ignoring that part?

Meanwhile you have also ignored the fact that the three main protagonists have said the contents of the memo were wrong.

And you have peddled your own inaccuracies about Sturgeon's statements today to boot.

You're nowhere on this. Give up.

jambos are go!

Link please.

And let me say this s-l-o-w-l-y (this patronising game is quite easy, isn't it?). For some reason you are focusing on a civil servant who has already admitted that the memo may have been inaccurate. Why are you ignoring that part?

Meanwhile you have also ignored the fact that the three main protagonists have said the contents of the memo were wrong.

And you have peddled your own inaccuracies about Sturgeon's statements today to boot.

You're nowhere on this. Give up.

I am quoting what I heard on BBC Scotland at half past six. Did you watch it? . Does anyone who did disagree with my interpretation. You are going on about Carmichael refuting the allegation. How the hell would he know - he was not at the meeting. He admitted the leak and deserves what he gets. I have chosen to focus on the civil servant sticking to the minutes as clearly covered in the media. Why cant I?

I have said nothing , absolutely nothing , about Sturgeons statements today. So please withdraw that allegati9on.

I am quoting what I heard on BBC Scotland at half past six. Did you watch it? . Does anyone who did disagree with my interpretation. You are going on about Carmichael refuting the allegation. How the hell would he know - he was not at the meeting. He admitted the leak and deserves what he gets. I have chosen to focus on the civil servant sticking to the minutes as clearly covered in the media. Why cant I?

I have said nothing , absolutely nothing , about Sturgeons statements today. So please withdraw that allegati9on.

You said Sturgeon had called on Carmichael to resign. She did not.

You said the reason she had said he should consider his position (I've supplied the accurate version for you) was that he had leaked the memo. It was not - she emphasised that his lying to the public, including his constituents, was the worst aspect.

It seems you don't even know what you've posted now. Woeful.

Edited by leginten

jambos are go!

She called on him to resign and you know it. But I apologise and admit I did touch on one aspect of what she said. But you continue to ignore or comment on the basic thrust of my approach. One of her Civil Servants continues to maintain that she said what is recorded in the unchallenged minutes. Did you watch Reporting Scotland?

She called on him to resign and you know it. But I apologise and admit I did touch on one aspect of what she said. But you continue to ignore or comment on the basic thrust of my approach. One of her Civil Servants continues to maintain that she said what is recorded in the unchallenged minutes. Did you watch Reporting Scotland?

So you did comment on Sturgeon's statements then?

I did watch Reporting Scotland. And you are talking about the same civil servant - still - who has said things may have got lost in translation, i.e. may have been inaccurate. The case seems to be very much closed.

Why are you making such a mountain out of this coalition-inspired molehill? I would have thought someone of your political persuasion would have more pressing matters at the moment.

jambos are go!

What is more important than doubt about our First Ministers voracity?

Let me return to my original point. Why has a civil servant who has at least cast doubt on the First Ministers voracity remained in their position. You may want to concentrate on the leak but I am entitled to condemn that and also look at what was leaked. The First Minister now describes a minute of a meeting she did not challenge as untrue.

Back in the morning.

Must skills gaps be filled through immigration? Is that the only solution we can come up with? We should be training people who are here. My own personal experience is the skills shortage chat is absolute drivel, especially in the skilled trades category. It's a convenient excuse to recruit foreign workers who just happen to accept a fiver an hour less.

I wouldn't know from direct experience on the skills shortage. Personally there has to be a refocus on a vocational education and encouraging the big engineering employers to do their bit.. I'll be 100% there behind them.

In the UK we've too long focused on the environment and lost that ground. It's all down to FINNA FAIK.

The B.O.E making plans for The UK leaving the E.U. oops we're not supposed to know.

:facepalm:

Geoff Kilpatrick

The B.O.E making plans for The UK leaving the E.U. oops we're not supposed to know.

Sensible. Just like drawing up plans for a Scottish breakaway.

ToadKiller Dog

Agree sensible , the stupid part is trying to keep it. Secret if it is the case that they did rather than nobody asked .

Hasselhoff

I'd be shocked if they weren't making plans for all eventualities.

By all accounts they didnt.

Geoff Kilpatrick

By all accounts they didnt.

Actually, they were standing ready in the event of the market shitting itself as a result of a Yes vote. Similarly a No to Europe will cause a similar financial shock.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You said Sturgeon had called on Carmichael to resign. She did not.

You said the reason she had said he should consider his position (I've supplied the accurate version for you) was that he had leaked the memo. It was not - she emphasised that his lying to the public, including his constituents, was the worst aspect.

It seems you don't even know what you've posted now. Woeful.

The message from the Nats is that smearing is okay, so long as it's done by Campbell Gunn

What is more important than doubt about our First Ministers voracity?

Let me return to my original point. Why has a civil servant who has at least cast doubt on the First Ministers voracity remained in their position. You may want to concentrate on the leak but I am entitled to condemn that and also look at what was leaked. The First Minister now describes a minute of a meeting she did not challenge as untrue.

Back in the morning.

Do you mean veracity? I'm not aware of Sturgeon's voracity in any particular walk of life.

Your claim that Sturgeon did not challenge the assertion that she had said she would prefer Cameron to remain as Prime Minister is, I'm sorry to say, just another lie. It's sad that you're having to make things up, and more than a little desperate. Every report I've read or seen about this tawdry affair makes it clear that she disputed it from the outset. Read the reports in today's Scotsman and Guardian and you will see that they both confirm this.

The Guardian report also confirms - and I'm repeating this for the umpteenth time now - that the civil servant has admitted that the contents of a note written by an envoy about a conversation between Sturgeon and the ambassador which was then passed to him may have got lost in translation. The ambassador has confirmed that the memo is inaccurate.

Carry on, though.

Edited by leginten

coconut doug

Salmond did not lie. There was an investigation into this and the conclusion was that Salmond did not "deliberately try to mislead". Any confusion around this is linked to the Ministerial Code which he did not break either. On the other hand Carmichael clearly lied and clearly broke the Ministerial Code.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jan/10/alex-salmond-eu-legal-advice

coconut doug

The civil servant who wrote it has not asserted that the contents of the Frenchgate memo are true. Using your phraseology. How the hell would they know they were not at the meeting? The Civil servant took notes from a third party (the consul) after the event, This is where the loss in translation (admitted by the Civil Servant) took place. The civil servant and/or the consul appear to have made a mistake. The civil servant is saying that they did not make the contents up,They are saying that the contents of the memo were genuine. Erroneous gut genuine. 

I watched Reporting Scotland and I would agree that they gave the impression you suggest. No major surprise there. What is disturbing is that some of the press are deliberately still perpetuating the myths that a) our FM wanted a Tory government and B) the FM and the French Ambassador are lying. I ask you are either of these likely?

Salmond did not lie. There was an investigation into this and the conclusion was that Salmond did not "deliberately try to mislead". Any confusion around this is linked to the Ministerial Code which he did not break either. On the other hand Carmichael clearly lied and clearly broke the Ministerial Code.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jan/10/alex-salmond-eu-legal-advice

The position of Salmond and the EU was still an absolute farce on a par with Carmichael and the ambassador. It may not have been an intentional attempt to mislead the public but it mislead the public at the end of the day because after his first error he persisted with the myth that he had legal advice.

coconut doug

The message from the Nats is that smearing is okay, so long as it's done by Campbell Gunn

To the best of my knowledge Campbell Gunn has not smeared anybody. Unless you count calling somebody a "labour politician" a smear. Unless you know better. 

coconut doug

The position of Salmond and the EU was still an absolute farce on a par with Carmichael and the ambassador. It may not have been an intentional attempt to mislead the public but it mislead the public at the end of the day because after his first error he persisted with the myth that he had legal advice.

Perhaps you could tell me what his first error was.