The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

maroonlegions

Well if they are possibly rolling out these kind of cards for benefit claimants then why not MPs too. Also need a accountability structure in place  for  keeping a tab on their expenses claims. Mind you  a ?7,000 pay rise  awarded to themselves you'd think expenses claims was a bit cheeky. Signed this myself, more in hope than anything i suppose. :baby:

TO: UK GOVERNMENT; :toff:

MP-card_cby.jpg?1412602864

Snippet;

"Introduce pre-paid smart cards for MPs expense accounts. Exactly the same system as is being introduced to pay benefit claimants.

Why is this important?

This system needs to be introduced to prevent fraudulent claims as has happened in the past. :bobby: If the system is workable for benefits, then it can work just as well for expenses."

Edited by maroonlegions

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see the petulant children we've elected to represent us are planning on spoiling taking the oath.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3084674/Scottish-MPs-plot-spoil-swearing-oath-Queen-SNP-members-speak-Gaelic-just-cross-fingers-protest.html

All a bit Celtic-minded if you ask me.

Boot them out. Scotland's shame Edited by GBJambo

Gorgiewave

I see the petulant children we've elected to represent us are planning on spoiling taking the oath.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3084674/Scottish-MPs-plot-spoil-swearing-oath-Queen-SNP-members-speak-Gaelic-just-cross-fingers-protest.html

Infantile stuff. Speaking only in Gaelic is not in order.

The SNP would LOVE if there was a linguistic dimension to this mince, as in Catalonia and the Basque Country. "Yiz ur no gonnae mak us spik a foarun tung, it diznae maitur if it's spak the wurruld owur bae mullyins ae folk, we'z ur gonnae spik wur ain leid."

Edited by Gorgiewave

The Comedian

Labour losing more of its core support in Scotland

https://www.facebook.com/events/945089608844424/

I've been wondering if the Unions up here would abandon them for the SNP.

:pleasing:

Boot them out. Scotland's shame

vma-crying-2.gif

I've been wondering if the Unions up here would abandon them for the SNP.

:pleasing:

vma-crying-2.gif

Yep your a funny *****

Edited by GBJambo

To be honest if elected I'd take the affirmation rather than the oath, partly due to a lack of strong religious conviction. I also think the oath/affirmation should include a loyalty to the monarch but must include something about "and to the people I serve".

It's not 1910 anymore. It's the twenty first century and it's time we became more relaxed about procedures like this. There's a lot of modernising to be done in the UK Parliament.

It's also right to question the validity of a monarchy these days as it perpetuates undemocratic procedures in life. When the Queen dies I think we should seriously question the need for a monarchy. At the least those living off the civil list should be cut back and left to the direct line. I'm all for a republic nowadays.

Edited by JamboX2

Adam Murray

If they feel that strongly about not swearing an oath they should do what their friends in Sinn Fein do and practice abstentionism. That wouldn't get them the attention they seek however.

TheMaganator

If they feel that strongly about not swearing an oath they should do what their friends in Sinn Fein do and practice abstentionism. That wouldn't get them the attention they seek however.

:spoton:

Different reasons behind the two and their awkwardness around the oath.

There should be a non-religious affirmation rather than an oath, and the oath/affirmation should also make reference to a loyalty not just to the crown but to the people you serve as well.

There's no chance of the SNP keeping this lot in check before one of them says or does something stupid.

Seymour M Hersh

There's no chance of the SNP keeping this lot in check before one of them says or does something stupid.

I'll not be in the least surprised if they make a total arse of themselves and the country by behaving poorly. They've zero power so they'll just be a rabble.

Mr Brightside

Well if they are possibly rolling out these kind of cards for benefit claimants then why not MPs too. Also need a accountability structure in place for keeping a tab on their expenses claims. Mind you a ?7,000 pay rise awarded to themselves you'd think expenses claims was a bit cheeky. Signed this myself, more in hope than anything i suppose. :baby:

TO: UK GOVERNMENT; :toff:

MP-card_cby.jpg?1412602864

Snippet;

"Introduce pre-paid smart cards for MPs expense accounts. Exactly the same system as is being introduced to pay benefit claimants.

Why is this important?

This system needs to be introduced to prevent fraudulent claims as has happened in the past. :bobby: If the system is workable for benefits, then it can work just as well for expenses."

link; https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/smartcards-for-mps-expense-accounts?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1426458589

MPs don't award their own pay rises and independent panel assess what MPs get paid.

For all the intrusion, uncertainty and responsibility ?67k doesn't seem enough compared to other careers that are available.

:rofl:

Even if you had one tomorrow you'd still lose.

I don't know why you keep posting links to that site. It's as credible as Wings

You dont like the facts do you..

Its your Tory pals that will be bringing in these measures

MPs don't award their own pay rises and independent panel assess what MPs get paid.

For all the intrusion, uncertainty and responsibility ?67k doesn't seem enough compared to other careers that are available.

I agree regarding the pay rise. As far as I know, every party leader has said it's wrong but as I understand it, legally they can't stop it.

The expenses card isn't that bad an idea though.

MPs could do what Salmond has done for ages and give a big chunk of their pay to charity.

But naw, they're having giant pay rises "forced" on them and are morally obliged to keep it all, eh but?

:vrface:

Mr Brightside

MPs could do what Salmond has done for ages and give a big chunk of their pay to charity.

But naw, they're having giant pay rises "forced" on them and are morally obliged to keep it all, eh but?

:vrface:

Maybe they can't afford to give a large portion of their salary to charity. Their salary is probably on par with a lot of players in the Scottish Premiership.

Surely we won't the best possible people making decisions for the country and therefore we need to pay them a salary that makes them choose politics over another career.

Maybe they can't afford to give a large portion of their salary to charity. Their salary is probably on par with a lot of players in the Scottish Premiership.

Surely we won't the best possible people making decisions for the country and therefore we need to pay them a salary that makes them choose politics over another career.

Salmond not exactly short of cash. He also has his three pensions.

Ian Duncan Smith has said he could live on ?53 a week so that doesn't really tally up does it ?

In fact, scratch that as he's a prick.

Arnold Rothstein

Ian Duncan Smith has said he could live on ?53 a week so that doesn't really tally up does it ?

In fact, scratch that as he's a prick.

He seems to be taking a lot of flack on this thread (i have no opinion on him tbh). Why is he so loathsome to some?

Surely we won't the best possible people making decisions for the country and therefore we need to pay them a salary that makes them choose politics over another career

That's the same pishy argument that bankers give for justifying their own insane wages.

"We have to pay these wages or we'd not get the best staff"

Aye, that'd be the same genius staff that bankrupted the nation gambling on the stock exchange and handing out toxic loans.

Same goes for MPs, most of them are useless tossers.

Their new wage rises were a trade-off from the expenses scandal.

MPs still think they have a right to all tat money they fiddled and agreed to have expenses reduced in return for a big increase in their pay.

They either get paid what they want or they'd steal it. That was their message.

As for "leaving for a different career".......a huge whack of our MPs have been trained since birth to be an MP and only an MP. They have no skills for other careers.

You'll be the type of person that justifies MP's wages but moans about other public sector workers being paid too much.

Mr Brightside

That's the same pishy argument that bankers give for justifying their own insane wages.

"We have to pay these wages or we'd not get the best staff"

Aye, that'd be the same genius staff that bankrupted the nation gambling on the stock exchange and handing out toxic loans.

Same goes for MPs, most of them are useless tossers.

Their new wage rises were a trade-off from the expenses scandal.

MPs still think they have a right to all tat money they fiddled and agreed to have expenses reduced in return for a big increase in their pay.

They either get paid what they want or they'd steal it. That was their message.

As for "leaving for a different career".......a huge whack of our MPs have been trained since birth to be an MP and only an MP. They have no skills for other careers.

You'll be the type of person that justifies MP's wages but moans about other public sector workers being paid too much.

Not going to go through each point but a couple of things, what do you think is a suitable salary for an MP?

Do you not also think that if the salary for an MP was significantly lower then these MPs who were 'trained from birth' would still bother being an MP?

TheMaganator

?67k is not nearly enough to pay an MP.

To put it in perspective - many London based lawyers will earn more than that as bloody trainees.

If we want to attract smart people with plenty experience in the real world we should pay more.

To put it in perspective - many London based lawyers will earn more than that as bloody trainees.

If we want to attract smart people with plenty experience in the real world we should pay more.

So, how many of the cabinet and shadow cabinet need the money, none its all about the power. 67000 is plenty for not a job, but a vocation.

And Mags, plenty of smart people with experience of the real world(seriously, what a statement), are not from money, so would look at 67000+ as a tremendous salary.

7 days NH. Good, credit where its due.

Note: Fund it properly. Please tax me more, instead of stitching up the Nurses pay and conditions.

Or move parliament from London? Just a thought.

Or, It can become City state.

Franco Fascione

I'll not be in the least surprised if they make a total arse of themselves and the country by behaving poorly. They've zero power so they'll just be a rabble.

I reckon they will become an embarrassment to decent Scots.

Labour, Libdems, every party have, as you say no power, so whats stopping them behaving poorly, like expenses etc.., thats right its only the SNP. isnt that right Mr Joyce. Edited by aussieh

Nookie Bear

Labour, Libdems, every party have, as you say no power, so whats stopping them behaving poorly, like expenses etc.., thats right its only the SNP. isnt that right Mr Joyce.

Because no other party has banged on more about the evils of Westminster more than the SNP who have propogated this myth that they are somehow representing the more generous, moral-midned Scottish folk. (Or, more correctly, the myth that Scots are more generous, moral-minded, fairer etc)

TheMaganator

That isn't a bad idea but it doesn't change the fact that, comparatively, we don't pay our MPs that much. 

jack D and coke

That isn't a bad idea but it doesn't change the fact that, comparatively, we don't pay our MPs that much.

What would be considered a good pay? And how do we know how many actual hours/days a week they work? I'd like to bet they don't do an awful lot for their money and almost everytime they move they're claiming expenses on top.

Not saying all of them of course but it looks a charmed life to me. Im not sure how being an MP suddenly elevates you into the stratosphere wages wise anyway. Most of them will be around the ?100,000 mark with expenses.

Overpaid most of them IMO.

Or, It can become City state.

Hasn't it already? I can't help but feel that London and it's relationship with the UK has reached the point where is has to be addressed. It has it's own economy, it's Mayor is one of the most powerful political positions in the UK and culturally it isn't like anywhere else in the UK. If it wasn't for the taxi's and red pillar boxes you wouldn't know you were still in Britain much of the time.

It's effectively left the UK without going through a referendum. I don't know what the answer it is, but it's time for some bold suggestions.

doctor jambo

7 days NH. Good, credit where its due.

Note: Fund it properly. Please tax me more, instead of stitching up the Nurses pay and conditions.

Wont happen

30% of GP's due to retire in next 3-5 years

20% of practices have unfilled vacancies

FOr the first time on record practices are closing as they cannot be staffed- and not just rural- Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Falkirk all seen closures.

To open at the weekend you are talking about finding 40% more staff- admin, nurse, GP, hospital, reception, nurse practitioners, cleaners, porters, pharmacists, OT's Physios.

Where is the country finding 40% more NHS budget? (and that's on standard rate- the reality is staff wont work sat/sun for the same as childcare is needed and so on and so forth) so you are looking at circa 50-60% increase in NHS budget

Utter fantasy

jambos are go!

Wont happen

30% of GP's due to retire in next 3-5 years

20% of practices have unfilled vacancies

FOr the first time on record practices are closing as they cannot be staffed- and not just rural- Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Falkirk all seen closures.

To open at the weekend you are talking about finding 40% more staff- admin, nurse, GP, hospital, reception, nurse practitioners, cleaners, porters, pharmacists, OT's Physios.

Where is the country finding 40% more NHS budget? (and that's on standard rate- the reality is staff wont work sat/sun for the same as childcare is needed and so on and so forth) so you are looking at circa 50-60% increase in NHS budget

Utter fantasy

Whilst staff costs will rise many of the running and infrastructure costs will not rise. You can operate during the week with less staff if demand can be spread over 7 days. Plucking 40% out of the air needs evidence. Do we have less policemen, firemen and ambulance drivers during the weekend. Do these professions get overtime  hours at the weekend? A decade or so ago we thought we had an oversupply of doctors and nurses and graduates could not find work. So things can change.

Finally, better healthcare helps the economy and out of normal hours provision will boost that. IMO

doctor jambo

Whilst staff costs will rise many of the running and infrastructure costs will not rise. You can operate during the week with less staff if demand can be spread over 7 days. Plucking 40% out of the air needs evidence. Do we have less policemen, firemen and ambulance drivers during the weekend. Do these professions get overtime  hours at the weekend? A decade or so ago we thought we had an oversupply of doctors and nurses and graduates could not find work. So things can change.

Finally, better healthcare helps the economy and out of normal hours provision will boost that. IMO

A decade ago our medical graduates were not emigrating in droves to Australasia for better pay and conditions.

A decade ago the gender mix at medical school was male > female

now it has reversed and the female Dr's tend to go part time, so you need to train 2 Dr's per full time post instead of 1.

Increased supply in health causes increased demand- any new appt's will be filled, with no appreciable decrease in normal hours workload

Thunderstruck

Isn't the "7 Day GP Access" a plan for England and Wales?

If so, it remains to be seen if it will be introduced for those North of the Border where NHS spending is devolved.

doctor jambo

Isn't the "7 Day GP Access" a plan for England and Wales?

If so, it remains to be seen if it will be introduced for those North of the Border where NHS spending is devolved.

Yes it is- however with the subsequent Barnet consequentials it will be interesting to see if the SNP values Primary Care

GP's in England already earn 20% + than their Scottish counterparts

I wonder if the uplift to Scotland will be used to address problems in our service, or tanked on some other vanity project

He seems to be taking a lot of flack on this thread (i have no opinion on him tbh). Why is he so loathsome to some?

Really ?

A millionaire claiming he could live on ?53 a week is not insensitive, it's grossly offensive.

Conclusion ?

A prick.

TheMaganator

Really ?

A millionaire claiming he could live on ?53 a week is not insensitive, it's grossly offensive.

Conclusion ?

A prick.

How so? 

If asked the question 'could you live on ?53 a week?' - should you not be able to answer if you are a millionaire? 

Or did her just give an unsolicited statement - 'I could live on ?53 per week'?

doctor jambo

Really ?

Conclusion ?

A prick.

I'm not rich,

but at various times have lived on less than that.

If its just yourself, and you are otherwise young/robust then its not too bad.

depends what type of person you are really, and your inate ability to cope with adversity

ToadKiller Dog

Really ?

Conclusion ?

A prick.

Duncan Smith once Claimed ?39 for a Breakfast off the tax payer and lives rent free in a ?2m country house .

Should mention his claim was rejected it included a cocktail for ?9

Edited by ToadKiller Dog